Julep Maven: July 2012 discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is a golden box?
The golden box is a special box that random subbers may receive and includes all the profiled polishes from the monthly boxes offered in a month. I think they only send out a few hundred each month? If you don't skip, you're automatically entered for a chance to get one. Yet seeing as there are thousands of subbers, I don't know how good anyone's chances are lol. One can still wish!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The golden box is a special box that random subbers may receive and includes all the profiled polishes from the monthly boxes offered in a month. I think they only send out a few hundred each month? If you don't skip, you're automatically entered for a chance to get one. Yet seeing as there are thousands of subbers, I don't know how good anyone's chances are lol. One can still wish!
OMG that's awesome--been with Julep since late May but only been on MUT for maybe a month...guess that's why I'm just now hearing about this.  That's cool they do it every month though.

Quote:Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not ALL lip plumping products are created this way or contain the ingredients the cause the lips to be irritated. The main ingredient that does this is called 'capsacin', so if you're concerned about this I'd just check the ingredients. There are several brands of lip plumping glosses that use hyaluronic acid to impart plumping to the lips simply by imparting high amounts of moisture to that area which in turn make the lips appear fuller.
I've never owned a Julep gloss, but I just wanted to put it out there that they're not ALL designed this way.

Good point. I was referring only to the plumping lip products that actually work by swelling the lips. Although certainly a lip color that is holographic and super-glossy could invoke a sense of fuller lips, or moisturizers could temporarily diminish fine lines around the lips, in these cases, this "moisture" would not be absorbing to the point that lips would actually be physically larger, as they are not a sponge. Also, cosmetically-approved moisturizers would not make one's lips tingle and be painful! Capsaicin is indeed what is sometimes used in these sorts of products; it is the compound that makes chili peppers hot. (Menthol or camphor are other ingredients that are also used, to lesser effect. Heck, even a retinol can be used, as there's evidence it increases blood flow, but I'm not sure how dramatic the effect would be.) I believe from my reaction that capsaicin is what Julep is using, but they are not forthcoming with their ingredient list I'm afraid - my gloss had no box, and it's not on the Web site.

Question ladies! Does Julep usually release holiday polishes? Can we expect them to repeat this on Halloween and Christmas? I've only been subbing since April, but saw they did themed boxes for Valentine's, St. Patty's, and Cinco de Mayo...or were those mystery boxes?

This months glosses are not the same as the plumping ones they already have. I just checked and this is the description listed for Peony

"Nude blush creme lip vernis.

This ultra-creamy, long-wearing gloss has a mirror like finish and is the perfect color complement to your nails. Launched in July 2012. Starts shipping June 28th. 

On trend now- Try matching your lip and nail color, pair Peony with Lynn."

Originally Posted by Mandy Kane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it's a plumper? hmm... didn't see that in the descriptions....
Wait! They aren't all plumping! It looks like the ones going out in the monthly boxes aren't plumping! Oh that's a relief. But the ones on the Maven Boutique are plumping, and what's weirder, the non-plumping ones do not appear in the Maven Boutique. I can see that people (besides my leotarded self) might also get confused - the tubes look exactly the same.

Anyway, fear not the monthly boxes then, but be aware of the ones you might get in your Mystery Boxes. I think the only way to tell them apart (short of putting it on your lips and waiting for that burning sensation) is by looking at the color and figuring out which one it is!

Sorry for the confusion; I'll update my other post.

Originally Posted by zorabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This months glosses are not the same as the plumping ones they already have. I just checked and this is the description listed for Peony

"Nude blush creme lip vernis.

This ultra-creamy, long-wearing gloss has a mirror like finish and is the perfect color complement to your nails. Launched in July 2012. Starts shipping June 28th. 

On trend now- Try matching your lip and nail color, pair Peony with Lynn."
Check. I updated my first post with the clarification. It's the Mystery Boxes that are including the plumping ones, but as far as I can tell, they have exactly the same packaging as the non-plumping. They should at least put the gloss name on the packaging somewhere - only the color name is on the bottom (which you could then use to look up which kind it is, but it shouldn't be that complicated!).

Thanks for pointing this out so I can avoid the bee-sting lip gloss more easily, but darn, that makes future Mystery Boxes scarier for me 
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by FooFooShnickens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Question... I have never gotten a julep subscription, but i am loving this months colors. I have seen info about Penny codes before, is there one for July?
Don't know if anyone responded yet.  You can try this code: PENNY

That was one of the latest I found.

Oh boy, they really got me this month.  I had originally planned to skip, then saw the american beauty plus free polish and decided not to skip, then saw the swatches posted above and loved so many of them, I switched to boho and added on the matching polish & lip gloss from american beauty.  

So many pretty colors this month!!

Those lip plumpers never work on me but the dressing in the Asian McDonald's salad sure does!
tongue.gif

Yea, someone will be bringing ours in which is good...Just wish I could get it shipped to the hotel in S.C where I;ll be...wouldn;t that be nice lol
Funny, I am gonna be in N.C., I too wish I could have it shipped to the house we will be staying at but we don't get the actual address until right before we leave or I would have it shipped to "a friend".

Don't know if anyone responded yet.  You can try this code: PENNY

That was one of the latest I found.
COLOR2012 works for this month as well.  Does anyone know if those who sign up right now will get the introductory box or the July box?  Or do they get the introductory box and still have time to get the July box too?  How does that work?  I had a friend sign up on my referral link and another friend is interested but really wants the July box. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question ladies! Does Julep usually release holiday polishes? Can we expect them to repeat this on Halloween and Christmas? I've only been subbing since April, but saw they did themed boxes for Valentine's, St. Patty's, and Cinco de Mayo...or were those mystery boxes?
I HOPE they do this for Halloween and Christmas (or "winter holidays,") because I would love a holiday polish or two to mix things up. Like a white glitter snowflake polish to wear over red? Or a witchy black sparkle with purples for Halloween?

Originally Posted by bluepearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Note/Warning about the lip gloss!

First of all, the Note part: I got one in my Mystery Box. It's Ultra Violet, not one of the colors offered in the July boxes, but the color payoff is quite good! Better than you'd expect from the lackluster swatches on the blog.

Now for the Warning part. If you're not familiar with how "plumping" lip glosses work, here's how: the formula includes an irritating ingredient to provoke an immune response; in other words, it poisons your lips so they swell up. It's about as appealing as it sounds. The Julep Lip Vernis are fairly strong on the plumping scale, so yes, your lips will tingle and hurt. The plumping effect is not dramatic or long-lasting, but my boyfriend noticed, just not in the "Oh baby, your lips look wild and sensuous, like Angelina Jolie's" kind of way. More like: "Did you accidentally eat some cantaloupe? (I'm allergic.) Your lips are swollen." Yeah. SEX-UH!

If you have sensitive skin/lips, or don't like the idea of discomfort to look swollen, you might want to go with It Girl, or not test your glosses so you can trade them to someone who doesn't mind the effect.

UPDATE: It turns out Julep has TWO kinds of glosses, which are indistinguishable from the packaging. Weirdly, only the non-plumping version appears on the public site; only the plumping in the Maven Boutique. Regardless, the regular monthly boxes are including the non-plumping variety; it is the June Mystery Boxes where the plumping ones are showing up. The only way to be sure is to check against the color name.
OMG thank you so much for explaining that.  I am so glad I went with ItGirl now.  I have Lupus and do not need anything that is going to stimulate and immune response. Glad to know and will definately avoid these.

While I'm a lippie wh*re, I'd rather have the polishes. Lol, and although I have some aquas, seafoams/color family...I will always take more! I opted for three polishes and think I might start choosing It Girl every month. The hand scrub a while back was neat, but I've got two jars that I already alternate between and body scrubs I prefer. More polish please! 
icon_cheers.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Julep's glitter polishes and how hard/easy they are to remove? I'm getting two (or three) in my box and plan to give at least one of them to my roommate because she loves glitter, but the last glitter polish I got her, OPI's Rainbow Connection, was an absolute bear to remove and she redoes her polish every couple of days. Do you think these polishes are hard or easy to remove?

Originally Posted by nerdgirlmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Julep's glitter polishes and how hard/easy they are to remove? I'm getting two (or three) in my box and plan to give at least one of them to my roommate because she loves glitter, but the last glitter polish I got her, OPI's Rainbow Connection, was an absolute bear to remove and she redoes her polish every couple of days. Do you think these polishes are hard or easy to remove?
I personally feel like all glitter is a beast to remove. I use pure acetone when removing glitter polishes, then follow up with a moisturizing treatment.

Can you say Beauty Product Addict

I had knee surgery yesterday, but come hell or high water, I am going to my PO Box today because my mystery box has been delivered by PARCEL POST.  Yeah, I have to go get the goods.

Can't take the chance the PO will send it back LOL

BTW I have a bottle of Jodie to swap and probably more once I get the box so check my swap thread
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I am very interested in knowing what percentage of the boxes are golden boxes.  I got one last month and basically flipped out.  Too bad I used up all of my luck, this month is AMAZING.  

Back