Languages you speak

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English is easy , actually, compared to Latin-based languages. When it comes to grammar , Portuguese, Spanish and French behaves the same difficult way (but if you learn in one, you know how it goes on the other). English may be hard to speak sometimes, but sure it's easier to learn the grammar.

Like that, let's see the verb to be - it means the same as 2 verbs in portuguese (and spanish), which are "ser" (i am a nice person) and "estar" (i am at Mac store)

I am - Eu sou - Eu estou

You are - Tu és ou Você é - Tu estás ou Você está

He/She/It is - Ele/Ela é - Ele/ela está (we don't have an it - everything is male or female)

We are - Nós somos - Nós estamos

You are - Vós sois ou Vocês são - Vós estais ou vocês estão

They are - Eles/elas são - Eles/elas estão

Every language has its own way and its difficulties... Asian languages have a phrase construction that's a lot different from English or Latin languages...

Ah , i just noticed you mentioned your difficulties in verb conjugation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It happens with everybody - every kid has problems with it, specially when it comes to irregular verbs, like "saber" (verb to know), which goes - eu sei (every kid when learning says eu sabo, because it's similar with the regular verb "comer"- to eat- eu como)

Every language has its own way and its difficulties... Asian languages have a phrase construction that's a lot different from English or Latin languages...

Yes, I seem to have a really hard time with sentence construction. To me, it is backwards. In english we say, "the green corkscrew"

and in french it is, " Un tire-bouchon vert." (I think - having a hard time remembering) It is reversal of nouns and adjectives that gets me.

Ah i see... The main problem is that you can put the adjetive before or after the word, but it can make you sound awkward or have different meanings... Like that: ela é uma boa (adjective) mulher (noun) - she's a good woman; ela é uma mulher boa - it can mean the same thing as in the 1st phrase or mean that she's a hot woman

Exactly. Confuses me.

In addition, slang in any language is difficult to master I imagine. And in English there are so dern many homonyms and colloquialisms that a person could go mad just thinking about it. I used to work with this girl from Guatemala in college and she had a hard time with English sarcasm and wordplay. She would get so frustrated. I tried to explain the best I could, but I realized that I couldn't explain it that well. Like, "He's as sharp as a wet bag of hair." (he's stupid) or "She's as nervous as a hooker in church." (she is guilty) Some of those kinds of phrases really threw her for a loop. She knew what they meant, but had no idea why they were funny.

Choctaw is a Native American language that's been around forever...It is like most other languages that put the verb at the end...

Halito,Kae il oka mali ik = Hello I am Kae and from the South.

Very cool. It's weird, that sentence just rolls off my tongue. It's pronunciation appears logical and curt, yet smooth. I see there are four vowels in that sentence (a,e,i,o)...does the Choctaw language deal primarily with vowels and staccato sounding consonants? :blink:

I can speak english and romanian fluently. I just had my german exam yesterday, and so i can speak and understand german up to a third year university level. i also took french up to second year university level, and we studied Huis Clos but i kinda forgot some of it. I only studied the first 4 chapters of italian, but since its sooo close to romanian i can pretty well understand it. As for the one line:

Die Arbeit war von mir gemacht worden. - German

Meaning: The work had been done by me.

Sunt asa de obosita, ca abia astept sa ajung acasa. - Romanian

Meaning: I am so tired i can hardly wait to get home.

Ils se sont trouvees dans l'enfer a cause de leur comportament sur terre. _French (i think i kinda messed this one up..i knew it a year ago for my exam..hehe)

Meaning: They found themselves in hell because of their behaviour on earth.

Il mio compleano e a sei dicembre. - italian (probably messed this one up too..but i never studied the language officialy as a course.. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i just add an e to the romanian sound and it usualy makes some sense :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Meaning: my birthday is on the sixth of december! ( it actually is!)

I would love to study italian officially, as well as latin, although my friends who took latin said it was pretty hard so i just decided to go with german instead. well that's all for now..( i would like to know spanish too...in mexico for our honeymoon i was mixing french and romanian and some italian with some madeup accent, and interestingly enough i somehow got my point across - ofcourse always making sure i used muchas gracias at the end :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm gonna merge this thread because i love languages, also :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> we've had a thread on it already, so i'm gonna do it to keep everything together. hope that's okay! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Holy Crapola Jennifer! LOL I was just checking up on this thread and saw a HUGE surge of posts...started wigging...really weird...LOL!

Nice Work Sister!

Somewhat,there are 21 letters in Choctaw alaphabet..and a lot of the letters are used differently than English..such as u for v..ch for t..and so on..

I think you mixed that up, actually in latin it seems like every expression has a TON of different meanings :icon_scratch:

I remember sitting through written exams with my latin dictionary (you´re allowed to use it, otherwhise you would be lost!) trying to pick out one of the 5 translations for a certain word LOL

I´ve heard this too so many times from American friends, but I don´t know why they think that.

I gotta agree with Lia, and my friends who went to my high school (it was language oriented)...it is the easiest language when it comes to grammar.

well I have to mention it´s the language most foreigners will know best since we learn it in school for the longest time (I had it 9 years total I think) but the irregular verbs is the only hard part I can think of. other than that it´s just a beautiful language that just easily rolls of your tongue.

I love english :satisfied:

Wow, that's difficult :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The advantage of being a Latin-based language speaker is that medical terms are relatively easy to learn :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Like bone names, organ, and pretty much every disease - only when it comes to weird things, like paracoccidiodomicosis is hard (sul-american blastomicosis - dermatologic disease caused by fungi)

I love english too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I only had problems with phrasal verbs when i was learning and when to use in, on, at, and etc

(it's 05:44 am and i can't sleep - worried with some things :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> only if they were important ¬¬)

well my 1st language is german but I had enough italian and latin and a bit of spanish in school, so it was easy for me to learn the medical terms too, and I have always been a fast vocab learner.

but still I don´t see why latin is compulsive for med school, at least not 4 years of latin. well it´s not really, you can still enroll but you have to take a latin course and pass the exam to be able to go on with med school. still most people who consider enrolling in med school do the 4 years of latin in high school and the conjugating and declinating doesn´t help you in med school later on.

it was just a pain in the butt!

oh yes, I could go on and on about this topic..but I don´t wanna hijack this thread

my mother tongue is indian language(tink of Bollywood movies lang)

I can speak English, Malaysian language called Malay language, bit of spanish (i took the class when i wuz doin my degree at uni) and bit of arabic language

My 1st is polish, but I can speak a little bit english & german. I wish speak fluently english and live in one of the english language country :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> English is awesome!

Well my first language is english and is my only language really!! I did french GCSE and got an A but I can read it better than talk it or listen to it if you understand what I mean. I also did a couple of years of German but cant even count to ten in it now, wished id kept the languages up because it would be a nice talent to have.

Back