Languages you speak

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I became obsessed with Iceland when I got into Bjork's music in high school. I want to go there so bad. My father-in-law lived there for about three years and loved it!

Hey, that's so cool u speak tagalog:) So do I...

Anyhoo, aside from English and Filipino (tagalog), I speak a bit of French (although my reading skills are better than speaking). I took til my third year university, but I don't speak it with anyone so I've lost a lot of vocab:(

I speak English fluently. Spanish is decent, Portuguese is pitiful... but I really want to learn the Castillian way of speaking Spanish, and I really must brush up on my Portuguese and Italian... as I am of all three nationalities :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did take French in high school... but that didn't help me when I visited Paris in 2000. I couldn't think of the word for "small". DUH! It's "petite". lol. I just can't speak a foreign language under pressure.

... i like this thread

... umm ... i speak

*Vietnamese - my native language kinda ... i started kindergarten in the US ... so i had to teach myself to read and write VNese when i found a VNese bf

*English - i speak this fluently .... and this is my preferred language

*French - i can understand some1 talking if they talk slowly ... and i can write and read a lil

...(i know this isn't part of the topic but. ...) languages i hope to learn are :

chinese ( i know a lot of ppl who speak this)

(japanese and korean) - i love listening to Japanes e and Korean songs .... i think the singers have a beautiful voice and i would love to be able to understand wut they are singing

.....my mom also speaks Cambodian and Laotian .. and i want to learn those languages too

Sorry i forgot the english :eusa_wall::eusa_wall:

What time do you wake up ? lol sorry

oh would be so nice to meet someone from MUT, here in iceland :inlove: if you ever come, let me know. i love it here too. im sure i will settle here. :satisfied:

Of course I speak Icelandic and English very fluently, and I've learned German, French, Danish and a little Spanish (will learn more Spanish soon)

thank you all. its one of my dreams to speak and understand all languages. but that would surely never happen. but since i am finishing school soon. im planning to go learn more. Which is so difficult, especially if you dont live in the country itself. My spanish right now, which i learned here, is about to evaporize... so i have to review after i finish school this may.

:laughing: hello kababayan.

i know, after you stop practising a language for a short while, you forget everything. also my german friend here in iceland, we both have been here 5 years now. sometimes we speak icelandic coz we forget the german words. to think its mother tongue.:eusa_wall:

lol happens to me all the time. especially when you have friends or relatives speaking different languages you know too. then the brain gets mixed up.:eusa_wall:

My hat goes off to you for wanting to learn so many..My pitiful lil brain has enough trouble with the ones I speak...I am so in awe of people who are so multilingual...

I speak Portuguese, English and a little of Spanish.

Portuguese - Oi a todos, meu nome é Lia e eu tenho 18 anos.

Spanish- Hola, yo me llamo Lia y tengo 18 años.

English - Hi everyone, my name is Lia and i'm 18 years old.

I would love to learn more, but there's no time

I´m fluent in German and English

Italian: would be pretty good if I´d keep on studying (I had it in school for 6 years but once you don´t speak it anymore you forget so much vocab, but at least the grammar stayed in my brain LOL) but I just don´t have the time

Spanish: for 2 years in school-I can understand more than I can speak, but out of all the languages I´ve learned it´s by far the easiest one (well after english) and it´s so close to italian

as for dead languages: latin for 4 years-I still don´t know why it´s considered necessary prior to enrolling in med school, it hasn´t helped me a lot but oh well.

oh and since Dutch is so close sounding to German I can understand some of it too...it sounds soo adorable. I really want to learn it one day, I always freak out when I hear someone speaking dutch. it´s just so CUTE!!!!! :inlove:

that´s so awesome. I´d love to learn more languages too and really be fluent. oh and I´m planing on raising my kids bilingual (german and english) no matter where I´ll end up living later on in life :satisfied:

That's amazing! You should look into being an interpretuer (sp? lol). That's a special gift. you must have worked very hard to learn those.

I also wanted to add I speak English and I know some Spanish. My inlaws retired in Mexico so my Spanish is getting better. I took Spanish in JR high and High school. So I know it..it's just remembering it! lol! :whistling:

luv AM

• Dutch: Hallo, ik ben Eva, hoe gaat het?
  • French: Bonjour, je m'appelle Eva, comment allez-vous?
  • English: Hello, I'm Eva, how are you?
  • I can understand German a little and speak it a little, but it's been a while since I had German in school.
  • Spanish: Hola, me llamo Eva, qué tal?
And that's it!

Okay, now I want to run out and learn different languages!

I have a really silly question...I have met people who use English as a second language and they are really fluent...they can read, write, and speak it...Do people like this THINK in their native tongue and translate it into English (or any other secondary language) or does it get to the point that thoughts come into the head in the second language without having to translate? Am I making sense?

I asked this of my BF as his first language is Macedonian-he tells me he translates from Macedonian to English but can go back and forth. He speaks it fluently but can only write in English. He was born in Germany and told me when he moved to Canada, he could only speak German and Macedonian but picked up English quickly.

My daughter speaks both English and Macedonian

I can speak a little myself, as well as French and a little German

BF father(basically my father-in-law) speaks English, German, Macedonian and Italian and a few other languages as well as his Mother.

Latest posts

Back