Le Metier De Beaute Beauty Vault VIP - Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Shauna999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much for the post- I checked out your blog, it's awesome!! PS- looking forward to monthly spoilers & chatting with all u ladies
Thank you, and I'm glad several on here have subscribed, as it will make the whole experience more fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you, and I'm glad several on here have subscribed, as it will make the whole experience more fun!
Ohhh!  I'm glad you subscribed - I get your blog posts in my email and have enjoyed your reviews of other vault items.  I was hoping you'd subscribe and share your thoughts.

As I've never purchased anything from Le Metier, I passed.  I have enough goodies to last me an apocalypse. I'm even thinking of just keeping Birchbox after my 3 month Glossybox sub expires...which is hard since I've had Glossybox from the beginning and love it.  But I have so much product to try/use up it's rather frivolous at that point to keep getting more...

Originally Posted by fifibeau /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's more info I found from Refinery 29 in the comments here http://www.refinery29.com/le-metier-de-beaute

Here's what the brand emailed us: "By requiring a 12 month commitment from the client, we are able to plan out ahead, ensuring that we can invest heavily in the products that they receive. Some months might be an exclusive or pre-release single product and some months might be a collection of products. Be assured that the retail value of the boxes will be well above the purchase price and that the products will be full size. As a taste, the first month (August 2013) will be a full size eye kaleidoscope (featuring 4 full size eye shadows), an exclusive pre-release new formula red lipstick ("Signature") and a full size best selling Noir Liquid eyeliner ($42). This is along with a special gift - a full size Kabuki brush ($85 value). We suggest this program for all the clients who love the quality, performance and design of Le Métier de Beauté products."

oh man, why can't my first paycheck for my internship come faster? I mean, I could sign up right now (and I know signups close really soon) but I'd feel a lot better about spending so much on a sub in one go if I could justify it as a first paycheck celebration lol!

Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ohhh!  I'm glad you subscribed - I get your blog posts in my email and have enjoyed your reviews of other vault items.  I was hoping you'd subscribe and share your thoughts.

As I've never purchased anything from Le Metier, I passed.  I have enough goodies to last me an apocalypse. I'm even thinking of just keeping Birchbox after my 3 month Glossybox sub expires...which is hard since I've had Glossybox from the beginning and love it.  But I have so much product to try/use up it's rather frivolous at that point to keep getting more...
I passed the point of frivolous a long time ago...I am trying to be more strategic in my acquisitions though.  I've avoided luxury brands for a long time because I feared falling down that rabbit hole (Tom Ford comes to mind), but the LMdB VIP program was just too good to pass up.  I do occasionally think of Carrie in Sex in the City and this quote when I think about how much I spend on makeup/skincare: 'I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!'

I don't think I've bought clothes or shoes in over a year, so I guess it balances out
smile.gif

Holy crap. *So* happy I went for it. There is one item in there I will be rehoming, but the rest are GIMME GIMME NAO! Any shred of second thoughts or buyer's remorse have been utterly obliterated. Now I'm going to have to find a gorgeous box to dedicate to storing this stuff in because it clearly deserves its own special place.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I passed the point of frivolous a long time ago...I am trying to be more strategic in my acquisitions though.  I've avoided luxury brands for a long time because I feared falling down that rabbit hole (Tom Ford comes to mind), but the LMdB VIP program was just too good to pass up.  I do occasionally think of Carrie in Sex in the City and this quote when I think about how much I spend on makeup/skincare: 'I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!'

I don't think I've bought clothes or shoes in over a year, so I guess it balances out
smile.gif
Ha!  So my previous post was prior to seeing the spoiler.  Now...I'm seriously considering it.  It's only a few dollars less than Glossybox afterall, which I'm parting with in a few boxes (only because of an overflow of shizznit - I do adore my Glossybox).

I haven't pulled the trigger - YET.  But it is a good deal and I'm a sucker for nice make-up.  I'll sleep on it, it's making me wonder if I should have passed on the purse I bought last month (a Rebecca Minkoff from TG Maxx).

Yay I'm so glad all you ladies have signed up.. I think this sub is going to be AMAZING!!

I just did some serious consideration of the size of the product pans (they seem to be about twice the size of typical pans) and the prices of other similar products.  I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around how much this sub costs ($348/year = $29/month, which is less than I spend on takeout for lunch for one week.  I love living in a city with lots of great cheap lunch options, but it makes it hard to bring myself to make my own lunch!) versus the value as calculated by LMdB's retail pricing.  Even if we were looking at L'Oreal Infallible prices (assuming no couponing/sales) for this stuff, it's a great deal.  It's even less than Nyx and Maybelline prices, and that's excluding the special gift item.  But this is not Nyx or Maybelline.  I'm actually kind of wondering how they will maintain their prestige-ness with the mind-blowing nature of this deal once people look past the "$348 *up front*!?!?!?" and start saying, "Wait, it breaks down to $29 per month, and I get *how* much stuff?  I could cut one trip to Ulta a month and afford this!"

I guess it probably does help that they are apparently locking down this special rate for a short period of time (it looks like it will end up being available for just over a month, based on the date of the announcement on Facebook), so if you weren't able to splurge at that time, you don't get the special goodies.  I'm not regretting this *at all*, but I am a little curious/concerned about how they will maintain a high level of prestige that they seem to be banking their general reputation on.  It also seems a little strange that they launched this in the summer rather than closer to the holidays because this seems like it would make a *fantastic* present.  Maybe they're counting on word of mouth from the early adopters to make people who didn't sign up regret it and be willing to spend $500 or more to jump on board later.  I can see that happening, like with Square Hue's $14.99-for-life pre-launch special.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just did some serious consideration of the size of the product pans (they seem to be about twice the size of typical pans) and the prices of other similar products.  I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around how much this sub costs ($348/year = $29/month, which is less than I spend on takeout for lunch for one week.  I love living in a city with lots of great cheap lunch options, but it makes it hard to bring myself to make my own lunch!) versus the value as calculated by LMdB's retail pricing.  Even if we were looking at L'Oreal Infallible prices (assuming no couponing/sales) for this stuff, it's a great deal.  It's even less than Nyx and Maybelline prices, and that's excluding the special gift item.  But this is not Nyx or Maybelline.  I'm actually kind of wondering how they will maintain their prestige-ness with the mind-blowing nature of this deal once people look past the "$348 *up front*!?!?!?" and start saying, "Wait, it breaks down to $29 per month, and I get *how* much stuff?  I could cut one trip to Ulta a month and afford this!"

I guess it probably does help that they are apparently locking down this special rate for a short period of time (it looks like it will end up being available for just over a month, based on the date of the announcement on Facebook), so if you weren't able to splurge at that time, you don't get the special goodies.  I'm not regretting this *at all*, but I am a little curious/concerned about how they will maintain a high level of prestige that they seem to be banking their general reputation on.  It also seems a little strange that they launched this in the summer rather than closer to the holidays because this seems like it would make a *fantastic* present.  Maybe they're counting on word of mouth from the early adopters to make people who didn't sign up regret it and be willing to spend $500 or more to jump on board later.  I can see that happening, like with Square Hue's $14.99-for-life pre-launch special.
From what I understand, LMdB doesn't advertise at all, they rely on word-of-mouth and bloggers to spread the news. I think the whole purpose of this subscription is to get people talking about the brand.

Also, I tried to resist this subscription, and even posted twice in this thread saying that I'm not going to subscribe... but yeahhhh... I have zero self control.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It could be as simple as them just wanting to generate more word of mouth regarding their brand.  They are a niche company with a small clientele, from what I can tell.  I think the Beauty Vault was a way for them to make items more accessible to a wider audience, given that previously LMdB was only sold at places like Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus.  So, I'm viewing the VIP program as them trying to build their clientele as well as generate buzz.  Which it seems to be doing.  I can't remember ever seeing an ad for LMdB - so not sure how they advertise? 

I do think this first month's value is going to be significantly higher than succeeding months.  I hope that doesn't lead to a feelings of disappointment for subscribers, as I think the value is still going to be high, and definitely more than the monthly subscription price.

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I understand, LMdB doesn't advertise at all, they rely on word-of-mouth and bloggers to spread the news. I think the whole purpose of this subscription is to get people talking about the brand.

Also, I tried to resist this subscription, and even posted twice in this thread saying that I'm not going to subscribe... but yeahhhh... I have zero self control.
What she said
smile.gif

I'm actually kind of wondering how they will maintain their prestige-ness with the mind-blowing nature of this deal once people look past the "$348 *up front*!?!?!?" and start saying, "Wait, it breaks down to $29 per month, and I get *how* much stuff?  I could cut one trip to Ulta a month and afford this!"
I think the key to maintaining their prestige is that many people wont be able to look past the fact that it's upfront. Although the $348 equals $29 per month, the fact that you aren't allowed to break it down and pay monthly is a huge deterrent for a lot of people. I also think that the fact you are only guaranteed one full size product per month at that price will deter people who don't already appreciate their makeup. I'm just excited to be getting in on the front end. Who knows what the price will go to if/when they open it up further. They could easily double the price of the subscription and it would still be a good deal based on the normal price of their products.

I too posted that I'm not going to subscribe and while I haven't yet, I'm really waivering.  Here's my problem:  I have A TON of skincare and makeup backlogged here.  I really do think this sub is a good deal money and value-wise but my question isn't "should I spend $348 --- or $370something with tax," it's more like, "would i spend that in the foreseeable future on any cosmetics given that I have so much waiting to be used?"

I know that I pass a Sephora every day of my life and for so long now, I'm not even tempted to go in b/c of how much I have ... yet the surprise of the box thing and the stupid fear of missing out is motivating.  Sigh.  What to do, what to do...?

Why did I have to stumble into this thread? Considering doing this if I drop GB. Hmm. I kind of want to cull older products, and this could be an incentive to replace with higher end ones. It really isn't crazy if you break it down.

Originally Posted by PsyDivaES /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the key to maintaining their prestige is that many people wont be able to look past the fact that it's upfront. Although the $348 equals $29 per month, the fact that you aren't allowed to break it down and pay monthly is a huge deterrent for a lot of people. I also think that the fact you are only guaranteed one full size product per month at that price will deter people who don't already appreciate their makeup. I'm just excited to be getting in on the front end. Who knows what the price will go to if/when they open it up further. They could easily double the price of the subscription and it would still be a good deal based on the normal price of their products.
Okay, this makes me feel better about it.  I confess to a bit of snobbery on this sub.  I'm a huge essence fan, but I do love my super-high-end stuff, too.  I look to essence for the fun seasonal stuff (twenty bucks for a bunch of stuff I will only wear for one month a year, if that?  I can justify the splurge.  It's just a little more than one lunch out after a movie with a friend) and to brands like this for year-round pampering (even if no one else knows I'm using a $32 lipstick, *I* know, and it makes me step up the rest of my appearance, from my clothes to my posture.  It's hard to slouch when you want everyone to LOOK AT MY PRETTY EYESHADOW!).  It would make me sad to subscribe because of its prestige/luxury only to discover that they're going for a larger customer base and will be cutting back on the things that create their wow factor.  

(I used to go to Saks and sigh at the high-end stuff I couldn't buy on a poor college student budget.  I would always make room for one particular shade of Stendhal lipstick, though.  I can't remember the shade name, but that was over twenty years ago, so it has probably been discontinued even if this brand *was* available in my area.  Now my budget is larger, but Saks has closed, and the makeup counter ladies at Macy's and Nordstrom look down their noses at me and hover like I'm going to steal everything when I go in on the weekends in my jeans and fandom t-shirts.  The groovy makeup boutique is better about not hovering like I'm going to pocket everything, but they sometimes go in the opposite direction and assume I don't need help because *surely* I don't intend to buy anything there.  I work for a bank all week and just want to *go home* when I'm in my work clothes that tend to get me good service in those stores.  When it's the weekend, I'm going to dress like I'm headed to Comic-Con but am too lazy to do cosplay even though I want to SPEND MONEY when I go to those stores, thankyouverymuch.)

Originally Posted by reepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I too posted that I'm not going to subscribe and while I haven't yet, I'm really waivering.  Here's my problem:  I have A TON of skincare and makeup backlogged here.  I really do think this sub is a good deal money and value-wise but my question isn't "should I spend $348 --- or $370something with tax," it's more like, "would i spend that in the foreseeable future on any cosmetics given that I have so much waiting to be used?"

I know that I pass a Sephora every day of my life and for so long now, I'm not even tempted to go in b/c of how much I have ... yet the surprise of the box thing and the stupid fear of missing out is motivating.  Sigh.  What to do, what to do...?
Unfortunately, I know my answer to the foreseeable-future question:  Hell, yeah, I would.  Earlier this year, I decided that I would be allowed to buy whatever makeup I wanted to replace all of the stuff I threw out in 2008 (pretty much my entire collection except for lipsticks and nail polishes).  I started the year with basically nothing:  Aside from a whole lot of lipstick and nail polish, I think the only cosmetics items I had were a tube of Missha bb cream, one stila smudgestick, and a few tarte SmoulderEyes smudgy eyeshadow pencils (the five-pencil set that Sephora had over the holidays).  Maybe a couple of eyeshadows from ipsy and swaps.  Oh, and the Urban Decay Alice in Wonderland palette that I would look at and then not use it because it's such a hotly-coveted item that I felt bad for using it (yes, I know that makes pretty much no sense.  Now I rarely use it just because I have so many other colors that it takes a while to rotate back to it).  

Things are different now (I have probably half of the Glamour Doll Eyes catalog at this point, and I think I have *five* blushes!  Most of them are spring colors, so I'm not wearing them now, but I do *have* them), but I am still lacking in certain basics (my brush and blush-other-than-spring-colors collections are particularly sad, and if I'm picking out colors, I am not buying neutrals.  I tend to stick to the mermaid drag queen area of the color chart when left to my own devices).  Those basics seem to be what subs like to send out, so it's a gap-filling thing.  

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did I have to stumble into this thread? Considering doing this if I drop GB. Hmm. I kind of want to cull older products, and this could be an incentive to replace with higher end ones. It really isn't crazy if you break it down.
It's easier for me to justify this sub because I'm not replacing stuff I currently own:  See the threw-out-almost-all-my-makeup-in-2008.  And then last September or October (can't remember which one), I finally got around to trying the stila smudge stick that I had received in my January Birchbox, and I reverted to my makeup craziness that dominated the '90s and a good chunk of the '00s for me.  I decided that I would be allowed to buy whatever makeup and tools (I started the year with one eyeshadow brush and the powder brush that Glossybox sent out in its first box, which I just tossed in my drawer and never used until a few months ago) I wanted for the duration of 2013, and then the makeup-buying genie goes back in the bottle.  Subs will continue to be allowed, but I should be at a maintenance level by the end of the year.

The reason I'm sticking with this and Starbox past the end of the year-end cutoff even though I already have tons of stuff is because (as I'm realizing) they tend to send out stuff that does not overlap with the things I buy.  I'm over forty, and I don't think I have *ever* (not even in high school or college) bought a blush, for example, and I know I haven't worn it aside from a couple of MAC counter makeovers (I remember throwing out or giving my GWP blushes to my mom), but the arrival of the blushes in the January and February Starboxes changed that.  I now wear it pretty much every day (not on lazy no-makeup weekends, of course), although I stick no a blush low-buy (I can buy essence trend edition blush, but other than that, any blush entering my life must do so via subscription boxes or swaps).  I'm also finding myself not wandering around Sephora/Ulta/Target/Fred Meyer/etc. looking for something to buy *right now* because I stop and think, "Hmm, what might be arriving in the boxes this month?"  Even if I do wander around looking for something to buy, if I find something I think I want, I ask myself that question.  And then I don't buy that eyeliner/shadow/lipstick/polish because I decide to wait and see what arrives, and then I manage to talk myself out of/forget about buying that in-store item.  

I'm in!

Just signed up!!!!!

That is seriously awesome!

You are all insanely fabulous and wonderfully enabling.

That spoiler got to me in a heart beat. It was a no-brainer!

I went for it! I figure I can use items I don't want for birthday and Christmas gifts, so this will actually giving me a head start! I have been eyeing this brand for a while but couldn't spend that kind of money, so this seemed like a great time to test everything out. Plus those spoilers sealed the deal. So excited for this!

I also think I'm going to go for it. I've been thinking about canceling PopSugar anyway. I am getting to the point of Sub overload and maybe quality over quantity is the way to go. Right now I'm subbed to:

Monthly

From the Lab 

Ipsy

Birchbox

PopSugar

Goodies

Love With Food

Julep

Bondi

Quarterly

FabFitFun

Yuzen

Fortune Cookie Soap Co.

If I cut out the ones I've crossed out, it will save me $1,396/year (and that's with skipping every other month of Julep as I typically do).. I may even cut out Ipsy too, but I think that's fun and with three teen girls in the house, it's fun to give them little things every month. I think I just justified this sub to myself, lol. 

Back