Mineral makeup primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by dlwt2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif regarding the Laura Geller is this in a pump bottle? I heard the puimp bottle was a new formulation and it was great, that the cream cup was harder to work with Hey Guys I have been telling everyone about Laura Geller SPACKLE which is a light gel primer. I have the original in a jar which takes a little more time to dry. You don't have to use alot. They have just come out with a SPACKLE pump that drys much faster and all you do is give one pump. Laura Geller is on QVC alot and she always has good deals.

You could go to her webpage too. I use her Balance and Brighten baked makeup and her other products. They do not clog pores.

Sheila Rose
hand.gif
rockwoot.gif
angel.gif
iagree.gif

OK, here's my question: I thought the purpose of using MMU was to get away from all the chemical stuff, use something directly on your face that is GOOD for your skin, and maybe even make the process a whole lot easier.

Why does there need to be an extra step os using a primer with MMU? Has anyone used their MMU and liked it just fine without a primer? I have used my YoungBlood, Jane Iredale and EDM and liked them fine without a primer, but many people on this site seem to think it is a "requirement" for a good look with MMU.

Am I wrong? Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
smile.gif

Cass

My purpose to use mineral makeup was for the Look to start with. I always liked the look of mmu. Actually the no makeup makeup look. Anyway I did use without primer and didnt think my skin looks as good as with primer. I like my look and for me thats what it is all about. But I am 48 and have used reg makeup for almost all those years

Wow, the Laura Geller Spackle sample from Sephora is a 1oz. size? That's a huge sample, considering the commercial one is a 2oz. jar for $22 in Canada.

What a great deal, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by CassBH /img/forum/go_quote.gif OK, here's my question: I thought the purpose of using MMU was to get away from all the chemical stuff, use something directly on your face that is GOOD for your skin, and maybe even make the process a whole lot easier.
Why does there need to be an extra step os using a primer with MMU? Has anyone used their MMU and liked it just fine without a primer? I have used my YoungBlood, Jane Iredale and EDM and liked them fine without a primer, but many people on this site seem to think it is a "requirement" for a good look with MMU.

smile.gif

Cass

You don't have to use a primer. The primer is like a base to smooth the skin and keep the makeup on longer. You don't even have to use as much.Primer usually has aloe and other good things in it too.

It is up to you what you want from your makeup.

Sheila Rose

Originally Posted by CassBH /img/forum/go_quote.gif OK, here's my question: I thought the purpose of using MMU was to get away from all the chemical stuff, use something directly on your face that is GOOD for your skin, and maybe even make the process a whole lot easier.

smile.gif

Cass

primer is not the same as liquid foundation. It's creates a nice canvas for the MMu, (mine has spf, so also protects me from the sun) and it controls my oil and helps my Mu last longer during the day

EDM have a new balancing dust which can be used under MMU to help even out skin, control oil etc. It contains silica so i presume it works the same as a primer

Originally Posted by LVA /img/forum/go_quote.gif primer is not the same as liquid foundation. It's creates a nice canvas for the MMu, (mine has spf, so also protects me from the sun) and it controls my oil and helps my Mu last longer during the day i
Good point...I am just shooting for less steps, not more, ya know?
smile.gif

But I will give it a shot and see how I like it.

Also, since you are an EDM girl, can you tell me what the differnece is b/t semi-matte and intensive? I posted this but I don't think anyone answered. Specifically, is the Intensive a lot heavier coverage and does it feel a lot heavier? Is it more matte, and if so, less appropraite for skin that is sometimes dry?

Thanks!

Thanks so much, Truthseeker! I checked out Pur minerals website and it looks like exactly what I've been looking for!
lovelovee.gif

Originally Posted by CassBH /img/forum/go_quote.gif i
Good point...I am just shooting for less steps, not more, ya know?
smile.gif

But I will give it a shot and see how I like it.

Also, since you are an EDM girl, can you tell me what the differnece is b/t semi-matte and intensive? I posted this but I don't think anyone answered. Specifically, is the Intensive a lot heavier coverage and does it feel a lot heavier? Is it more matte, and if so, less appropraite for skin that is sometimes dry?

Thanks!

It's not a super huge difference. But Intensive is more matte, It controls the shine better than semi-matte.

Originally Posted by LVA /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's not a super huge difference. But Intensive is more matte, It controls the shine better than semi-matte. I am not looking for much shine control right now, in the winter, so if there is not much difference in coverage and/or feel on the skin, sounds like Semi-Matte would be fine with me.

Have you tried Aromaleigh? Just curious what you thought of that, compared with EDM, since you really like EDM?

Originally Posted by tandcmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif EDM have a new balancing dust which can be used under MMU to help even out skin, control oil etc. It contains silica so i presume it works the same as a primer I just recently started using the EDM balancing dust as my primer. I used other primers that didn't seem to control my oilies.

The Aromaleigh site reccomends oils, such as Olive, almond etc. This morning I tried a little bit of Emu oil (if you can stand the smell) prior to EDM Intense formula .....and I'm surprized to say it looks really nice.

Hey Cass, you're right about getting away from all the chemicals and stuff, however, if you ever want to try something, go to your local supermarket baking aisle and pick up a bottle of "pure almond extract". It's got almond oil, glycerin (possibly to stabilize or preserve?) and water. I tried it before my Spackle and Smashbox and it was great. But you have to use a good moisturizer with it.

Paradoxx, I don't think you will like the Pur Minerals, but you might. Although that was my first and I loved it at first but now that I have my BE, I'm glad I just ordered the 4-piece MINI KIT, it has foundation, blush, mineral glow (which happens to be VERY dark and orangey) and a chisel brush. It is a good deal cuz I like the brush and the foundation enough, but the blush smelled funny ( I ordered two kits
redface.gif
ne in medium but it was too dark so I re-ordered the Light), anyhow they both smelled old and moldy and not fresh as was the texture (I had to use my nail to scratch some off so I could apply the brush to it).

why don't you try the original glo, I think that would be the prettiest in winter when you're face is already starting to get dry. A little glow goes a long way, Cass

Originally Posted by memaize /img/forum/go_quote.gif The Aromaleigh site reccomends oils, such as Olive, almond etc. This morning I tried a little bit of Emu oil (if you can stand the smell) prior to EDM Intense formula .....and I'm surprized to say it looks really nice. Actually, I've seen quite a few sites that are recommending EMU oil, what's up with that? Wouldn't it be too oily?

Memaize - where did you get your Emu Oil? I love it and have bought it several times and it never has a smell. It's listed as 100% Australian Emu Oil and should be non odorous and creamy white to pale yellow. I absolutely love this stuff!! It's not too oily. I put it on and wait about 5 minutes before applying my MMU and I have acne proned skin and never thought I'd be able to use oil on my face.

I have been using Monistat anti-chafing gel for about a year. My skin feels like silk and my mineral makeup goes on beautifully! I have tried makeup primer from Philosophy, Smash Box and Bare Essentials. I'll take the $6.00 tube of Monistat get in a heartbeat!
cowboy.gif

Originally Posted by AverysMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif Memaize - where did you get your Emu Oil? I love it and have bought it several times and it never has a smell. It's listed as 100% Australian Emu Oil and should be non odorous and creamy white to pale yellow. I absolutely love this stuff!! It's not too oily. I put it on and wait about 5 minutes before applying my MMU and I have acne proned skin and never thought I'd be able to use oil on my face. I bought my emu oil from Dr. Emu. The smell makes me ill! But earlier today I ordered some thru Belle Saison which is deodorized so we'll see how that goes.

Dr. Emu? Funny. I've used Emu Oil for a long time from different stores and never had any that smelled. I did read a while back on the Joppa Minerals message board several complaints that their Emu Oil smelled like fried chicken!!! I get mine from Aubrey Nicole minerals, here is what is says on their site about Emu Oil:

We sell only Grade A Emu Oil, which is pale yellow, creamy and non-odorous. Our Emu Oil is painstakingly processed to assure its purity. It is derived from farm raised free range Emu birds. To insure quality, no hormones, steroids, antibiotics or animal protein is allowed in feed or is introduced by injection. NO harsh chemicals are used to refine the Emu Oil.

Emu is one of the best oils for penetrating deeply into the skin layers. It is great mixed with any ingredient that you want to add because it helps it absorb into your skin.

Back