Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel as a Foundation Primer...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a post about this on glamour about a month ago and they said the exact same thing, that it works great as a primer, then i found similar posts about it on other beauty websites, so i decided to try it. I loved it, it makes your skin nice and silk and helps my foundation go on a lot smoother. BUT, im not positive if this was a result of the monistat gel or something else, but i noticed i was breaking out a little and it happened a week after buying the primer. I havent used it a lot latley, i also love my Rimmel Fix & Perfect primer.

I have horrible dry skin, to where when i put my foundation on, my skin starts flaking, and i think it helped my dry skin if anything. So i wouldnt worry about it, if anything it is better for dry skin

Is it really being discontinued? I bought one yesterday at Kmart, and noticed that there were only three left. I'm going to go back and buy the last three if it is. I use this stuff everyday!

I found a coupon in a Sunday newspaper insert several months ago for the Anti-Chafing Gel and bought it at CVS. It was in the feminine hygiene aisle, but I have bought stuff from that aisle for my wife in the past.

The last several months I've only really put on makeup at my monthly CD support group meetings, moisturizing just before leaving home, changing there and putting on a little makeup after my outfit is on, usually Mary Kay liquid foundation, sometimes a little eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick. I wear glasses and usually do little around my eyes.

Two meetings ago I tried the primer for the first time. Things went on really nice, much better than usual. I thought everything looked better than usual.

The last meeting was my second time using the primer and after I applied my usual Mary Kay full coverage liquid foundation using a sponge, I looked in the mirror and thought it was the best I had ever done. A little inner voice said "keep going", so I did. Next I used a different sponge and put on a layer of Cover Girl cream to powder foundation with concealer, the very first time I ever tried both at once. Then eyebrow pencil (N.Y.C. dark brown), Mary Kay gold mineral eye shadow with the brush it came with, N.Y.C. eyeliner pencil (even lined the lower lashes that I rarely do), pink N.Y.C. eyeshadow for blush using a small flat brush, finally lining lips with an N.Y.C. pencil and finishing with N.Y.C. firefly lipstick.

I received more compliments than I ever have before from members. I thought it still looked really good several hours later when it was time to clean up and go home. Cleanup seemed to go easily with 2 or 3 baby wipes and a couple of eyelid wipes.

I first read of the Anti-Chafe primer here and think that using it sure makes a difference for me.

I am getting this and trying it ASAP! I don't care what it is labeled. And I really don't care what I buy when I go through the checkout line. I'd be more embarrassed to be buying a pack of cigarettes than yeast infection cream or foot fungus remedy or preperation h. The 400lb people don't look embarrassed when they buy their hohos and doritos. I am so sick of consumers getting duped by cosmetic companies. How many toners have you purchased and the main ingredient turned out to be witch hazel, which you can get a 16oz bottle of at the dollar store? Or eye makeup removers whose main ingredient is mineral oil. Again-baby oil from the dollar store works just as well. There are so few companies I trust and actually will spend the extra for their product. I LOVE Smashbox primer and don't think anyone elses compares. If this stuff has the same ingredients....OMG I will be in bargain heaven. Now, if I can find a substitute for Hope is not Enough and Fresh's Black Tea mask all will be right in the world. BTW, if anyone else out there is a mua I am developing my own totally green/organic airbrush cleaner. One that actually works and you don't have to soak your brush for hours. Also, I'm working on an additive that you can mix with your favorite liquid foundations and turn them into airbrush foundation. So far both have worked perfectly for me. Now I need to get them into development. The airbrush cleaner is multi-use and can double as a brush cleaner for those who don't airbrush. Its totally fabulous. I will get this up on my website soon.

I am always looking for ways to improve my makeup. I usually use airbrush and I couldn't believe how awful the cleaners were, so I went about collecting all natural eco-safe cleaners and experimenting. Now I have this super anti-bacterial organic cleaner that is made with aloe and natural glycerin and sesame oil and IT WORKS! It works in one pass. I don't need to let my brushes sit in cleaning pots and I can switch product almost immediately. I almost have it down to where I can use a modified version to thin regular foundation and use it as airbrush foundation.

So, when I read about this Monistat/primer thing I had to check it out. I used it first on myself for a day to make sure I had no reactions. Then I squeezed the tube into a plain travel tube and asked my daughter to test it on the back of one hand and smashbox (my favorite of alltime) on the other hand. She liked the feel of the Monistat and she actually liked the smell better.

I have read from at least one source that it was not good near the eyes and I usually use it over her eyelids. I solved that by getting silicon based Cargo eye primer on sale at Sephora for $5. I stocked up and got 5 tubes. It is silicone based and so far after a 12 hour day eyelids remained 100 percent crease free. I learned my lesson after buying Amazing primer and loving it for $5 on sale at Sephora and guess what! They brought the line back and now that same little jar is $15. I did just buy some Urban Decay eye potion so I will try that out, I know it is a favorite of a lot of people. I bought both kinds of both the cargo and urban decay, bronzer and shimmer so I will have to do a comparison. I will point out that I was highly disappointed with Smashbox primer and find it drying and hard to spread, the same with Sephora professional brand.

So, in my humble opinion, after checking the ingredients and comparing the 2 side by side, I will probably use the Monistat to extend the life of the 2 or 3 bottles of Smashbox primer I already have. If you are a MUA I suggest doing what I did and putting it into a plain tube and just writing M Primer on the bottle to avoid any questions. I have found that collecting extra and saving shampoo, conditioner, and lotion bottles from hotels when I travel are the best space savers. I even bought some 4oz bottles when I realized we were going through those giant Costco sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner in less than 2 weeks and I only wash my dry, curly hair every couple days. My daughter has long hair like mine but she must use a cupful every shower....Now she get 4oz every week.

I actually bought it the other day and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! It works exactly like Smashbox's primer, and def. worth the money.

I finally decided to give in to the hype... it's all true! It's feels just like Smashbox :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been to several Walgreens and none had it, but at kmart they had a lot of them left! They were around $8 so I grabbed two tubes, and at check out, I noticed they were only $3! My sister quickly pointed it out to the cashier and she said "maybe it's on sale!". So yeah, I got my two tubes of silky smooth goodness for $6 plus tax.

I think I'm going to empty the tubes in a different container though, LOL!

I saw this idea in a video a few days ago actually. I was a little like "uhhhhh... ish poo lady... get that vaginal cream off your face" but now that i read this I'm thinking a little different. I don't think I'll try it but it's a good thing to know about anyways.

This product may be from Monistat but it is NOT for yeast infections or really anything to do with female nether regions. Its a gel that keeps your thighs from rubbing together and getting all chafed. If you don't try it, you are definately missing out on a really good and CHEAP primer. I've been using this for more than a year. It keeps my mineral makeup on ALL DAY. You just need a tiny tiny bit. I put it in a pump bottle so you can control the amount better. You only need 1/2 a pump. Anything more could mean turn a good thing into an oily mess. I definitely recommend this to anyone. Its sooo sad that it has been discontinued in Canada :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just picked some up the other day, and I liked it better than the Philosophy primer I have bought in the past.

For ladies who are looking if it, I bought it at Walmart. It was in with the condoms and not in with the menstrual products.

I've used it, and believe me I get enough crap from my husband, I know it's odd. I feel like it works the same as all my silicone based primers.

Just curious why you'd think its odd when there are tons of postings here and other forums singing the praises of Monistat as a good primer...even makeupalley.com and youtube (where I found out about it a year ago)??

Transfer it to a pump bottle and no one has to know and its easier to get the right amount.

I need to try this as well. I've started realizing that I need to spend less money on products, lol, and my Smashbox primer gets quite expensive.

Well, I've spent the last few days reading this entire thread, a few minutes at a time - I feel like a time traveller!!!!!!

This is so interesting! We don't have Monistat in Australia - but I've seen ads in American magazines so I knew the company was associated with feminine products.

I did some research & found an equivalent product here in Australia by a UK company called Lanacane. The ingredients are exactly the same as listed in this thread, with the exception of "zea mays (corn) starch". I Googled corn starch & found it's used in other cosmetic products so didn't think there'd be any harm in trying it.

I found this in my local pharmacy for about $12AU. It seems like the US stores stock it with the feminine products, or condoms etc, but Aussie chemists put it with the calamine lotions, heel balms & other first aid products. I looked in the US location first & now I'm totally up to date on the new KY Jellies, feminine moisturiser, glow in the dark condoms etc. HAHA!

Today was a day off, so I didn't try it with makeup, however I applied it to my cheeks & felt the same silky smoothness people have been talking about. It felt powdery & my skin feels so smooth with this on. My pores also seem to be less noticeable.

I can't wait to try this with makeup tomorrow. Will post my experiences in a few weeks after I've been able to see how it goes with my skin.

PS: I've read about how some people feel embarrassed at buying a product by a company who make products for "down there". Why would they care? A drugstore, or dept store sell these type of products everyday. I just went up to the pharmacist & asked for anti chafing gel. I didn't care one bit!

I always wondered if Monistat and Lanacane were owned by the same company and just had different names in different countries till this weekend when I saw a TV comercial for Lanacane chaffing gel in the US!

Its suppose to make your foundation stay on longer, makes it go on smoother, lessens the appearance of pores and roughness on the skin and keeps you from going shiny for longer.

The Lanacane one was in a smaller tube and it cost same. I've still not tried it yet but I did buy its on the must-try because I can't buy Monistat anywhere around Vancouver.

OK I tried Lanacane with full makeup yesterday & loved it!

I put moisturiser on (let it sink in) & then smoothed the Lanacane on my cheeks & nose, then put on foundation & powder. My skin looked amazingly smooth. I will definitely be using it from now on!

Thanks so much for the tip everyone!!!

Back