PopSugar Special Edition Resort Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by celticjade /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, it's not your chemistry. I've worn mine practically everyday, and the paint is rubbing off. It's a brownish red underneath. Cheap. It feels like the bracelet company went super, super cheap with this. It's a shame. The pamphlet the box came with said it was made out of "turquoise, labradorite, and brass stones.". Or something like that.

Do you think POPSGAR knew they didn't give us real turquoise?

I'm not sure if POPSUGAR knows.

I emailed the bracelet company and asked if the bracelets on their site that are turquoise colored are real turquoise or dyed howlite. I thought they might be real because of the high price tag (a single turquoise looking bracelet sells for over $60). The person who replied to my email said the bracelets are NOT turquoise, they are dyed howlite, all of the three I asked about. 

So I was pretty surprised. 

Some of their bracelets look to be real materials (batik, wood, bone) but I am skeptical about anything they call a gemstone (I think technically they can get away with calling them "turquoise gemstones" because they are turquoise colored and howlite is a gemstone). I think you should email before and ask if you are concerned when possibly buying things from them in the future. 

I made some Sisco and Berluti inspired bracelets last night, it is really easy to do, I even found the beads used in a bracelet with yellow czech glass that retails for $68

No, it's not your chemistry. I've worn mine practically everyday, and the paint is rubbing off. It's a brownish red underneath. Cheap. It feels like the bracelet company went super, super cheap with this. It's a shame. The pamphlet the box came with said it was made out of "turquoise, labradorite, and brass stones.". Or something like that. Do you think POPSGAR knew they didn't give us real turquoise?
Ok it's good to know I'm not the only one. I took a pic of the discoloration on the stones.
[/img][/img]

I'm not sure if POPSUGAR knows. I emailed the bracelet company and asked if the bracelets on their site that are turquoise colored are real turquoise or dyed howlite. I thought they might be real because of the high price tag (a single turquoise looking bracelet sells for over $60). The person who replied to my email said the bracelets are NOT turquoise, they are dyed howlite, all of the three I asked about.  So I was pretty surprised.  Some of their bracelets look to be real materials (batik, wood, bone) but I am skeptical about anything they call a gemstone (I think technically they can get away with calling them "turquoise gemstones" because they are turquoise colored and howlite is a gemstone). I think you should email before and ask if you are concerned when possibly buying things from them in the future.  I made some Sisco and Berluti inspired bracelets last night, it is really easy to do, I even found the beads used in a bracelet with yellow czech glass that retails for $68
Love these- you did an amazing job!!

You did a nice job! I make jewelry and I was also very upset with the lack of real ness in the beads. They could have used real for what they charged and or used a better material to paint the "turquoise" with! There are more permanent paints and sealants. I guess I will have to redo my beads or put a sealant on them before they loose the paint they do have. I take that back. I am going to sand the howlite, repaint, and seal them. A new paint will not hold up unless the old is taken off first! Ouy!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Shauna999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you guys!

I used czech glass beads (6 - 8mm) and gold stardust beads from etsy, stretch magic and some silver 8mm daisy spacer beads (also called bali beads) that I found in bulk on ebay.

Also I think anyone who feels the resort box bracelets might be too large for your wrists, that it would be easy to cut the elastic cord and make the bracelets smaller. 

I wonder if any of the celebrities wearing these bracelets know that they are dyed howlite?

Quote: Originally Posted by Boadicea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I emailed the bracelet company and asked if the bracelets on their site that are turquoise colored are real turquoise or dyed howlite. I thought they might be real because of the high price tag (a single turquoise looking bracelet sells for over $60). The person who replied to my email said the bracelets are NOT turquoise, they are dyed howlite, all of the three I asked about. 

Some of their bracelets look to be real materials (batik, wood, bone) but I am skeptical about anything they call a gemstone (I think technically they can get away with calling them "turquoise gemstones" because they are turquoise colored and howlite is a gemstone). I think you should email before and ask if you are concerned when possibly buying things from them in the future. 

I made some Sisco and Berluti inspired bracelets last night, it is really easy to do, I even found the beads used in a bracelet with yellow czech glass that retails for $68

WOW!  PopSugar needs to include YOU next!  I want the silver one with the 3 beads in the middle.  Gorgeous.

These are beautiful!  Thank you so much for letting us know about the 'turquoise'!

These are prettier than the ones in the box!  I love the yellow one!

Quote: Originally Posted by Baublesntreats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  These are prettier than the ones in the box!  I love the yellow one!
Thanks!

If you are interested in making one, I got two strands of the yellow beads here (but I have small wrists): https://www.etsy.com/listing/180663938/25-opaque-yellow-picasso-faceted-4x7mm?ref=sr_gallery_18&ga_search_query=yellow+glass+czech+beads+picasso+rondelle&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Also you can google this in etsy and it will pull up more: "yellow glass czech beads picasso rondelle"

This is the Sisco + Berluti bracelet I was trying to imitate:

http://www.siscoberluti.com/product/272/Yellow-Czech-Glass

Thank you guys! I used czech glass beads (6 - 8mm) and gold stardust beads from etsy, stretch magic and some silver 8mm daisy spacer beads (also called bali beads) that I found in bulk on ebay. Also I think anyone who feels the resort box bracelets might be too large for your wrists, that it would be easy to cut the elastic cord and make the bracelets smaller.  I wonder if any of the celebrities wearing these bracelets know that they are dyed howlite?
Though you don't need any help I say Boadicea why don't we get together make bracelet of quality gemstones and let Popsugar know and sell them to PS for a decent price and hopefully everyone would be happy! It would be great to see some smiles here!!!!

I received a poorly made clutch as well and emailed PS and they are sending me a replacement. This is my least fav special edition box so far (I get them all, even the NM one). I guess I do like the towel, bath gel, and taffy. Did not like the clutch, bracelet, or eyeliners. I really hope that all the complaints about the clutch cause PS to look at the quality of their products in the future.  

Does anyone else feel like the Turkish towel has a rabbi shawl appearance? When I wrap myself in it after a shower, I feel like I hooked up with a rabbi and happened to grab his shawl. Not a feeling I thought I was likely to have in life! Haha.
Oh my gosh the mental image!!! I'm gonna be laughing for days now! I've been reading about all the problems with this box and I'm sorry there's been so many issues. I really want to buy one of these boxes someday (I think the fall one starts selling shortly after my birthday in August) but I don't want to pay that much to have all the issues you ladies are having! I'm so glad that many of you are communicating with PS about these issues, they won't be able to improve and know who to work with in the future without your feedback. Big hugs to all of you and I hope everything gets resolved!

Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritwind10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Though you don't need any help I say Boadicea why don't we get together make bracelet of quality gemstones and let Popsugar know and sell them to PS for a decent price and hopefully everyone would be happy! It would be great to see some smiles here!!!!
I would buy those bracelets!  
icon_smile.gif

These look great!

Sooo I got my second box and checked out the clutch.  I don't mind my first one -- it's clearly made from remnants of leather but I think it's cute and I'm using it as my office purse -- what I carry around so I don't have to use my big work tote.  I think it's lovely for that! There was a slight scratch in the leather, but it doesn't bother me.  It's not perfectly sewn, but whatever.

But the second one -- the leather portion is uneven.  I try to be reasonable with this stuff, but the uneven leather seems beyond something I can use, and certainly takes it out of gift territory.  I'm just wondering, though, whether it's worth e-mailing.  I don't want a replacement, as I can't see the clutch really being any better... Aye. Maybe I'm too lazy to e-mail and suggest some other resolution... Who knows.

Otherwise, I LOVE This box.  I like the towels so much I'm not sure I can bring myself to use them! They're so crisp and unstained now. I'm sure as soon as I use them on vacation next month, I'll promptly spill a margarita on one.

Quote: Originally Posted by DrOpossum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I finally received my box on Wednesday - 2 days earlier than expected. I'll be honest, I was disappointed - not just with problems with the products, but the shipping and overall curation. I feel like I won't continue with PopSugar

Anyhow, my clutch is TERRIBLE. Like, it's half an inch long on one side than the other. It looks cheap and poorly made, and if I would see it at TJ Maxx for $10, I wouldn't buy it. Did anyone else have issues with differing lengths of the leather?

I don't feel like it's even worth emailing customer service about this, because I will only receive another poorly made clutch. Anyone have suggestions? 
I took the SAME EXACT pictures.  My clutch is uneven too.  Such poor quality.  Awful!!  

Quote: Originally Posted by nicepenguins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone else feel like the Turkish towel has a rabbi shawl appearance? When I wrap myself in it after a shower, I feel like I hooked up with a rabbi and happened to grab his shawl. Not a feeling I thought I was likely to have in life! Haha.

Yeah, that's what my mom said when she saw it... doesn't that look like a tefillin? 

Has anyone gotten the replacement clutch yet? Curious if they are okay or just more crap...

daz.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by gcc69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Has anyone gotten the replacement clutch yet? Curious if they are okay or just more crap...

daz.gif

I sent an email about my tumor-looking clutch asking for a replacement, but not if they are also crummy. If I request something else, what should I ask for? Suggestions?

Latest posts

Back