Quarterly.co Subscriptions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved Arianna's first box and it has really helped me with sleep and calming down. Her second box was more haphazard to me.  I did buy the diet book that goes with the DVD and will try the diet soon.  I did not see how the items fit together in the second box.   I hope her next box is amazing otherwise I will be cancelling.  I do love Rosario's box and do not plan on dropping that one at this point as long as she remains a curator.

I subscribed to Arianna to fill the MSA hole, at least until Liz figures out how to start a new box. I don't need the spoiler item but I love the themes of her first 2 boxes.
I am trying to figure out who to subscribe to until Liz (hopefully) starts up a new box … Arianna or Rosario?

I am trying to figure out who to subscribe to until Liz (hopefully) starts up a new box … Arianna or Rosario?
I was doing the same thing.  Trying to replace Liz's box with something else. I had Arianna's box but finally cancelled because even though I love lots of things about her, I can't get into the spiritual stuff so the value isn't there for me.  I signed up for Nina again but may drop it if spoilers start to come out that I don't care for. Rosario will be next after that.

Nina's last box was pretty awful. A circle fringe purse? I don't even know anybody that appeals to. On the flip side, the value is usually pretty great. Arianna's spiritual guidance box just doesn't appeal to me. 

Did you see the website of the new curator "fathom" - it's legit!  Versus another curator's site who literally just pushes product from people who give her kick back.  it's so obvious. not naming names, but since there is so much kick back - the least that could be done is pack in a good box.  sheesh.

this new box could be a great box - clearly travelers!

Did you see the website of the new curator "fathom" - it's legit!  Versus another curator's site who literally just pushes product from people who give her kick back.  it's so obvious. not naming names, but since there is so much kick back - the least that could be done is pack in a good box.  sheesh.

I cancelled the other curators box and subscribed to this one. I have high hopes for it. I just hope I won't be disappointed. 

Did you see the website of the new curator "fathom" - it's legit! Versus another curator's site who literally just pushes product from people who give her kick back. it's so obvious. not naming names, but since there is so much kick back - the least that could be done is pack in a good box. sheesh.

I had the first travel box you refernced,buy then I cancelled it. I must admit you have me curious with rhe kickback thing. Is there more info you could share? (I realize it's probably speculation) Or is that against the rules? I'm hesitant to try Fathom to tell you the truth....

I had the first travel box you refernced,buy then I cancelled it. I must admit you have me curious with rhe kickback thing. Is there more info you could share? (I realize it's probably speculation) Or is that against the rules? I'm hesitant to try Fathom to tell you the truth....
don't get me wrong. nothing to do with ethics.  it's 2 different worlds.  bloggers world.  and subscription box world.  the point is - on a website, some bloggers write articles promoting things that are really just product placements.  and links with referrals.  not much content - more self promotion.  so, one would assume there could be negotiations with these brands then for boxes - taking it from one world to the next.  make sense? i don't know. i'm not a blogger. i also don't run boxes.  i just know the only box I got, it was stated as over $100 - and it was inflated.   my point was that it was really refreshing to see a page where there was real content.  and real travel experience.  vs self-promotion. I'll try it once.  No boxes will be a catch all for everyone.  it's just nice to see real content.  I only took a quick look at the site though. I'm sure there are ads there too.  just noticed all the articles on the other are links - only heard of it from quarterly though so don't know if that was always like that. 

don't get me wrong. nothing to do with ethics.  it's 2 different worlds.  bloggers world.  and subscription box world.  the point is - on a website, some bloggers write articles promoting things that are really just product placements.  and links with referrals.  not much content - more self promotion.  so, one would assume there could be negotiations with these brands then for boxes - taking it from one world to the next.  make sense? i don't know. i'm not a blogger. i also don't run boxes.  i just know the only box I got, it was stated as over $100 - and it was inflated.   my point was that it was really refreshing to see a page where there was real content.  and real travel experience.  vs self-promotion. I'll try it once.  No boxes will be a catch all for everyone.  it's just nice to see real content.  I only took a quick look at the site though. I'm sure there are ads there too.  just noticed all the articles on the other are links - only heard of it from quarterly though so don't know if that was always like that. 
So, its funny, I never really read that blog but i just checked it out.  OMG, product placements everywhere!   I totally see what you mean.   And of course, the most expensive product options.   Thanks for highlighting this, I hadn't really seen it before and I think its a good opportunity to educate myself or be more aware.  I also checked the other site and its much more informative (and neutral?).  I understand that's one way bloggers make money/find products, but perhaps a disclosure (which I could have missed) would be helpful?   I think that what surprised me most is that there are charges for packing guides?  Oh well, if someone wants to pay for that, knock yourself out.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />    If people want to buy those items and she makes them aware, then it works out.....  Overall, a good reminder that bloggers have no obligation to be fair and balanced.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   

Anyone have any idea when the January boxes will ship? Mine is still schedule for January according to the site, but I haven't been charged or heard anything. 

So, its funny, I never really read that blog but i just checked it out.  OMG, product placements everywhere!   I totally see what you mean.   And of course, the most expensive product options.   Thanks for highlighting this, I hadn't really seen it before and I think its a good opportunity to educate myself or be more aware.  I also checked the other site and its much more informative (and neutral?).  I understand that's one way bloggers make money/find products, but perhaps a disclosure (which I could have missed) would be helpful?   I think that what surprised me most is that there are charges for packing guides?  Oh well, if someone wants to pay for that, knock yourself out.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />    If people want to buy those items and she makes them aware, then it works out.....  Overall, a good reminder that bloggers have no obligation to be fair and balanced.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   
I mean, I don't think anyone needs to bother with disclosure when it's so obvious. LOL. OMG. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE an entire collection of BAGS from the same maker. or jewelry from the same designer. or....shoes. lol.  so funny.  I mean it could happen (but unlikely in these particular cases - with the links all over the place - for other reasons).  then I love when someone touts themselves as an executive or expert or whatever title one bestows upon themselves. I guess, if it's a small company.  My point, it was refreshing to see all this real content.  Real travel. It resonates more with me - I've gone places and traveled on my own off the regular path. Figured things out.  It rubbed me wrong when things were overstated before. Will see how this one goes. If it doesn't work out, it's a risk too.  But these seem like they have some substance. 

If you want to understand how URLs and tracking works...everything from ? and after is the tracking.  So if you delete the ? and everything after it in the URLs, the URLs still work.

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH, I hate how quarterly randomly changes shipping dates and never notifies its subscribers! The Dan Karnazes box was set to ship this month, even as of this morning. I just checked back, now it says March....that would have been nice to know, at least it is an extra 100 bucks in my pocket until then

EEK, I unsubbed from Arianna Huffington and Wil Wheaton.  I am probably going to regret it, but I already know the big ticket item for Arianna isn't something I need, and I have been nervous about whether the Wil one was for me since day one.  Either way, that frees up $200 in February.  I went hog freaking wild on spending in January so I think I am doing a VERY STRICT life no buy in February to make up for it. 

Okay. So I know this is nosy and totally none of my business, BUT I've been wondering...

How much do you think Quarterly curators get paid? Or do you think maybe they don't get paid and just do it for the exposure?

Okay. So I know this is nosy and totally none of my business, BUT I've been wondering...

How much do you think Quarterly curators get paid? Or do you think maybe they don't get paid and just do it for the exposure?
[SIZE=11pt]I’m curious about this too. I’d imagine they have to get paid since it seems like there is quite a bit of involvement on the back-end from them. I wouldn’t imagine their time would be worth it for exposure alone. Wondering if maybe they get a certain amount from each box sold?[/SIZE]

Has there been any spoilers or hints what will be in the Fathom box? I am hesitant until I have a better idea of the contents... My husband's getting Wil Wheaton, and while i've cancelled the others, I'm curious about Fathom. We have a vacation planned in April but I actually have a lot of travel stuff already...

About the kickbacks and product placement or whatever... I've been watching some videos of a particular youtube personality and she mentioned in one that she had a vacation planned and therefore contacted a swimsuit company asking for a free swimsuit, saying she'd wear it on her trip, has XXX of followers, etc., and they indeed sent her a few swimsuits. So my assumption is that a blogger could do the same. Advertising and a guaranteed audience... It's logical.

Hitha mentioned for her 2nd box that she reached out and did some negotiations herself. From Liz's (MSA) posts about putting her box together though, it sounded like quarterly gave her catalogs, she picked the stuff, and then quarterly negotiated. Both Ariana and Hitha had eye masks from Perpetual Shade around the same time so quarterly has to be pushing some items to the curators.

Latest posts

Back