Sample Society: August 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

your right, these subscription services are addictive!  I also subscribe to Birchbox.  What you said about if you dont like or use the products, its a waste of money is true, but several times I have rec'd a product, and thought I wouldn't like it or would never use it and then tried it and totally loved it.  Last month's Vincent Longo lip pencil is one of those products.  I never use lip pencil so wasnt thrilled to recieve this.  I got the Roseberry and Spring Rose shades.  I used it one day last week, and found that the Spring Rose shade matches the color of my lips exactly, and makes my lipstick or gloss look more polished.  Yesterday I wanted a little more color with my gloss, and used teh Roseberry shade first and put the gloss on top and it lasted a lot longer than the gloss by itself.   It's something I didnt think I liked, but it's becoming one of my favorite lip products. I guess thats the real purpose of these sample services.
I love it when that happens!  I don't know which shades of the Vincent Longo pencil set I'll get this time, I don't go the States until later in the month, but I had been flirting with the idea of using pencils under a nice tinted balm or non-sticky gloss to make it more of a pop since my lips are the exact same color as my face, lol.  I was really bummed at first to get VMV Hypoallergenic Re-Everything Eye Serum and Clark's Botanicals Marine Cream in some of my first Birchboxes - my friend got a Stila Smudgestick and even though I already have a few Stila liners, I was thinking that she made out better.  Then I realized how wrong I was.  The VMV eye serum is in a glass bottle and is about half of the full size and full size is $80.  I used it up but it took a while and I liked it a lot.  The Clark's Botanicals cream is great, I'm eeking it out, just using a bit when I want an extra kick, it tingles and I love that.  So I got those in my boxes and she got a blue eyeliner that I probably would have tried once and put in my pile of liners.  Even the stuff that isn't up my alley is worth it, I've just started really doing trades and I like having something that someone really wanted but didn't get and making them happy with a trade and then I get something I'd like out of it too.  Sample services definitely save me money even when I find what I don't like, because I wouldn't have shelled out a lot more on the full size product.  It's a fun gamble. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My box is always last to come, right around the 10th every month because I'm a west coast girl. So I just wait for the dashboard to update and all the wonderful spoilers you ladies post! Speaking of, does anyone remember how long it takes for the dashboard to update?

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sample Society ships tomorrow - yippee!
Sample Society has changed the date they ship from the 1st of every month to the 1st Monday of the month.  My dashboard now says its shipping on the 6th.   It's too bad.  I liked getting my Sample Society box, and then a couple of weeks later getting Birchbox.  

On the Sample Society FAQ's page it states: 

When will my credit card be charged?

Your card will be charged on your ship date each month. Your ship date is shown on your Dashboard. You can expect to receive your Sample Society box within 7 days of the ship date.

My card was charged on the 25th.

On the Sample Society FAQ's page it states:  When will my credit card be charged? Your card will be charged on your ship date each month. Your ship date is shown on your Dashboard. You can expect to receive your Sample Society box within 7 days of the ship date. My card was charged on the 25th.
Mine too. And my August 1st ship date has also now changed to the 6th. I was already planning to cancel. Now I am tempted to do it BEFORE this box and make them credit me. :mad:

Since Sample Society isnt shipping until the 6th, I wish they would at least give us some hints of what will be in the box!  Some type of skin care item is pretty much a given, and probably some kind of hair care, but I wonder if there will be a makeup item?  I wouldnt mind trying a mascara or nail polish.  My dream item to sample would be an eye shadow, but I know thats not likely.  Sample Society included lip products in the last two boxes, so something different would be nice this time.

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I've been burned on that before. And it went up $1.05 for tax here too. Must stay away from dashboard, must stay away...

Originally Posted by cheetahchirps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I've been burned on that before. And it went up $1.05 for tax here too. Must stay away from dashboard, must stay away...
I think someone said that they ship out the first Monday of each month which should mean August 6. It usually says it is going to ship on the 1st and then it changes right before it actually ships. The dashboard isn't currently showing the August products so you can go check your date.

mine shows a ship date of Aug. 6. last month was my first box and i already received my first copy of Allure.  i was underwhelmed by both though i see the value for the $$.  i'll give them this month and next to super impress me before cancelling and maybe trying Beauty Army or My Glam.

hmm... my dashboard says next box will ship on the 3rd. 

my reciept says it will ship the 1st

and under orders it says arriving the 4th. 

but i don't see anything about the 6th.

oh well- my mom is stopping by our house to pick up our mail saturday and water our garden. maybe it'll be waiting for me, maybe it wont. can't wait to see what's inside!

Originally Posted by Mandy Kane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmm... my dashboard says next box will ship on the 3rd.
D'oh mine says that now too. They are just having fun toying with me now lol

Last month was my first box from Sample Society also, I liked the box but was a little underwhelmed as well compared to the other boxes I received last month (also sub to MyGlam, BB, and Julep). I rec' the Allure magazine for July on July 28th (after the Aug. mag sub was out/about to be out). My shipment date also changed from August 1st to now showing August 3rd and I also noticed that my credit card was charged twice, once on July 28th (pre-auth), then another time on August 1st. I wanted to sub to a few different boxes because I was debating about cancelling the BB sub, but now I am more likely to cancel my SS sub.

Soo... Is anyone else being "charged" for two boxes?

On the "My Account" page, it shows that I have a SS box ordered on July 28, and another ordered on August 1- But there is only one charge pending on my bank account.

Going to get in touch with them, but wanted to see if it was just me :/

I have two pending charges on in my bank account but I'm sure one won't post. I won't be concerned unless they both do. They'll fix it.

Soo... Is anyone else being "charged" for two boxes? On the "My Account" page, it shows that I have a SS box ordered on July 28, and another ordered on August 1- But there is only one charge pending on my bank account. Going to get in touch with them, but wanted to see if it was just me :/
I just called, because my account was showing two separate Sample Society orders for August. CS rep said that there was a system error, and the charge from today would be reversed. The other went through 7/28, and is showing a delivery date of tomorrow. Now I will have to check and make sure that second charge really DID get reversed. :rolleyes:

Soo... Is anyone else being "charged" for two boxes? On the "My Account" page, it shows that I have a SS box ordered on July 28, and another ordered on August 1- But there is only one charge pending on my bank account. Going to get in touch with them, but wanted to see if it was just me :/
I got two orders appearing as well, but only one charge on my acct. I emailed them & got a reply within an hour explaining it was a system glitch and they would remove the 2nd order.

Back