Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the future boxes will have color variations like the July one, or will everyone will get the same color?
I was told just a few days ago that there will be NO variations in shades from now on. I asked that question specifically because we filled out Beauty Profiles and I was told by a Beauty Bar CS person that Allure is dropping box variations. 

Meaning- if I get pink, you get pink and everyone else subbed to SS or Allure box gets pink.

IMO, I'm not sure that the Beauty Bar people KNOW for certain. Call them and ask them and see what they tell you.

Meaganola got a different answer than I got.

I was told that Allure magazine is sending out " what's on trend" every month and that everyone would get the exact same products. No variations, as I said.

I asked for a phone number to Allure, but was told they don't take the calls about the boxes. I got the impression that the items are going to be trendier in nature than before Allure re-branded the box and changed it up.. but Fekkai hair mask, L'Oreal lip stuff in dark ruby red, and Butter nail polish in brown is not my idea of " trendy" at all. The Laura Mercier highlighter is on trend because Laura Mercier is fabulous in general and she always has trendy items in primers, powders and foundation formulations  ( I have worn her products for years when doing a full foundation coverage and the liquid candlelight face primer/ luminizer is probably one of the best things I've ever bought in that category of makeup).

Out of last month's box, my favorite item is actually the tiny perfume sample. I think it's fabulous, and I want the full size bottle now. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ( Very rare for me to like a new fragrance).

It's a bit strange that the people we are able to reach at this stage are not consistent with their replies to questions about shade variations or no variations. I don't think they know, and may not care any longer. if they ever did.

I HATE the last spoiler- those colors are not things I would wear in a million years- and again, the fact that 3 colors are shown totally negates what I was told about " no color variations".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, it's very common for Customer Service people to give very different answers to the same question.  Most times, a wrong answer will be that you got an.... "unmotivated" worker who was more interested in giving you the answer you wanted without spending any more time on the phone than he/she had to.  The other, more understandable explanation is maybe they were confused about the difference between PRODUCT variation (everyone will get a Ciate polish!) and COLOR variation (everyone will get the SAME Ciate polish!).  

My personal interpretation of all the answers posted from CS reps is that there will no longer be product variations, which is good because that is where box envy comes from!  There may be color variation on cosmetic products like lipsticks and nail polishes.  This may still cause some envy, but at least trading will be easier as people have a wide range of color preferences.

Also funny story, my July box was delivered while I was away visiting family and a neighbor picked it up to hold for me (the ONE drawback about their UPS delivery!  Cannot be held with the rest of my mail!).  We both forgot about it, and she just reminded me yesterday and dropped it by!  I had read so much about the boxes and my variations for Kit B that I FORGOT I didn't have the product in hand!  That said, I find this box absolutely wonderful.  Love a good hair mask, the perfume smells beautiful, if not exactly my taste, anything Laura Mercier is fine by me, I'm loving the Ruby Opera color MUCH more than I thought I would (AND ended up with the Rose Melody as a L'Oreal Panelist study compensation!), and I love... LOVE the Butter London polish!  I don't have a deep gold-bronze like Old Bill, and I think it'll be a great base under Scuppered (got in one of the "old" boxes when I purchased a 10-set in the sale)!

Oooh look at me all chatty today!

That is interesting @GirlyGirl...I thought I had read somewhere that future boxes would have some slight variations. Last month there were several shades of both nail polish and lipgloss, but I guess things are still changing with them. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

I am really liking the new direction this sub is going in. Last month I loved every item and even bought the lip product in two more colors, traded for another, and gave one to my mother! I cannot wait to see what we get in future months. I dropped Blush Mystery Beauty Box and Beauty DNA, so I would have a little room in my budget and I don't think I could have made a better choice! One of my friends from work even picked up the sub after seeing my box and is happily enjoying the spoilers with me. I do so love the communal aspect of subs and sharing my discoveries with others.

I am really liking the new direction this sub is going in. Last month I loved every item and even bought the lip product in two more colors, traded for another, and gave one to my mother! I cannot wait to see what we get in future months. I dropped Blush Mystery Beauty Box and Beauty DNA, so I would have a little room in my budget and I don't think I could have made a better choice! One of my friends from work even picked up the sub after seeing my box and is happily enjoying the spoilers with me. I do so love the communal aspect of subs and sharing my discoveries with others.
Just my opinion, and you didn't ask for it, but you made 2 wrong moves to get a small box of 4-5 samples every month. 

The other two boxes have full sized products- Beauty DNA is always full sized and Blush usually curates with some full sized items.

I would send Allure's SS off the island before either one of the others, because I was with them from the start and I know what they send out are samples. Nothing but samples unless it's a nail polish or lipstick.

Again, JMO. I 'm thinking of dropping Allure until they get their program more organized and the CS people know what they are doing and saying.

Just my opinion, and you didn't ask for it, but you made 2 wrong moves to get a small box of 4-5 samples every month. 

The other two boxes have full sized products- Beauty DNA is always full sized and Blush usually curates with some full sized items.

I would send Allure's SS off the island before either one of the others, because I was with them from the start and I know what they send out are samples. Nothing but samples unless it's a nail polish or lipstick.

Again, JMO. I 'm thinking of dropping Allure until they get their program more organized and the CS people know what they are doing and saying.
Two of the items last month, the L'Oreal gloss and the Butter London polish were full-sized, even though the website said the polish would be a sample size.

Now, if you prefer full-sized items of other types of products, then perhaps a different box will work better for you, but to say that there will be NO full sized items is inaccurate. The box last month was an extremely good value for $15, so there is no reason to suspect that it won't be the same for August, but I guess time will tell. In the end, if anyone is unhappy with what they are getting in a sub box, they should unsubscribe and be done with it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldn't call dropping subs that give more full size items (although on this month's Blush spoilers only one item is listed as full size) for one that might give out less full size items a "wrong move". Personally, I think whether or not the products/brands are ones I want to try out is more important than getting all full size items. I actually just canceled my Blush Mystery Box the other day and then subbed for this one for the first time. The Blush box was a good value and I've used some of the products I got from there, but I never got excited about it. 

The thing is...  One person's mistake is another person's very wise move.  I'm with Allure fka Sample Society *because* they send out primarily samples.  Same with Birchbox.  It might not work for you, but getting married and having kids doesn't work for me.  I don't get to say that anyone else (except my mom, but that's a whole different story) shouldn't do that.  I will pretty much always pick a variety of samples containing enough product for a week or so, deluxe samples, or travel sizes over full sizes.

Sample Society didn't work for me due to the fact that they sent out primarily skincare samples, but that's *me* and my sensitive, picky skin.  One high-end ultra mega fancy night cream that I received in a full-sized version gave me such horrible allergic eczema that I had several people ask me if I was okay.  But I felt compelled to keep it and not even give it away despite the fact that I was only able to use it a few times before I finally realized it was to blame for me reaction because it would have cost over a hundred bucks even though it had come in a box, so I hadn't exactly paid for it.  (I finally gave it to my aunt.  I have no idea what she did with it after that.)  Allure's move away from that is a winning one for me, and if they send out *a* skincare sample in a box that is otherwise body/hair/makeup/hands samples, it will remain so.

And the color variations thing was stated publicly on Facebook, not directly to me by a CS rep.  Since they have held to that for two months in a row, I would say you talked to someone who didn't know.  The CS reps probably support Beauty Bar, Soap, Vine, Casa, Wag, Diapers, and whatever other companies are under the Quidsi umbrella, and, like @ said, they may very well be confusing "product" and "color" here.  I'm trusting the person specifically responding to Allure box questions on Facebook is the one with definitive answers.  I know that's not always the case, but in this instance, it seems more likely than not.

I think what this box is turning into is more suited for me--I am looking for a well curated box that I will actually use the products from. I was with Blush for a year, so I know it quite well, but there only tended to be one item a month that was useful to me, and I ended up giving away or trading the rest. I was super excited that I actually used all of the items in my SS box last month, and even purchased/traded for more of them. That is what gives it value to me. I am super busy, diabled, and do not have the time or energy to go shopping, so when I can find a great sample box with items I will use--it is quite exciting to me.

For me, it's more about what brands they send out than it is about what size. Five full sized products of things I would never use is as good as nothing to me. It's also about variety. I dumped the old SS because it became too skincare heavy. I dumped Blush way back due to boring or shady products. Dried up mascara? Expired products? No thanks. I don't care that they're full sized. Blush has never excited me. SS was starting to go that path until their recent rehaul which has me looking forward to the new boxes.

I just still can't believe we're getting the Too Faced in Melted Peony!  It's been a GWP on so many sites, and I'd fill up a cart, get all excited... then remember I'm on a low-buy and sadly close the page and walk away.  The Oribe mousse looks like it might be a hair HG for me if it doesn't turn crunchy, and all the Ciate colors are gorgeous!

This is probably a one (wo)man's trash is another's treasure thing, but I'm pretty darn thrilled!

woohoo.gif

I usually prefer subs with samples to full size because if I get a full sized product of something I don't like, I'll be stuck using something I'm not a fan of or I'll feel guilty about throwing it away and being wasteful.  If I don't like a sample after trying it a couple times I have no qualms about tossing it in the trash.

The products offered is also a big driver in what subs I choose.  SS hooked me for the first time this month because of the Oribe sample.  I'm waaay more excited to try that out than any of the full sized products I've seen in subs lately.

I just still can't believe we're getting the Too Faced in Melted Peony!  It's been a GWP on so many sites, and I'd fill up a cart, get all excited... then remember I'm on a low-buy and sadly close the page and walk away.  The Oribe mousse looks like it might be a hair HG for me if it doesn't turn crunchy, and all the Ciate colors are gorgeous!

This is probably a one (wo)man's trash is another's treasure thing, but I'm pretty darn thrilled!

woohoo.gif
literally my exact thought process when i signed up. (same for picking the bb everygirl box for the push up liner) 

I feel kinda bad, like I am aware that the exposure marketing is working, and I wasn't particularly interested in either in concept, but seeing them everywhere made me feel like i needed it. 

The mousse is another story, I had a lot of success with mousse on wet hair before bed while travelling, so I am on a mousse trying kick to see if it can give me easy volume.

Haha I picked the EveryGirl box too!  The second I saw the Benefit Liner I was like "IT WILL BE MINE".  So I'm getting two things I've been desperately wanting this month!  

Happy Birthday month to meeeeeeeee, lol

The mousse is another story, I had a lot of success with mousse on wet hair before bed while travelling, so I am on a mousse trying kick to see if it can give me easy volume.
I want to hear more about the mousse on wet hair before bed! I'm a huge fan of big hair but I can never tease it the way I want it. TY!

I want to hear more about the mousse on wet hair before bed! I'm a huge fan of big hair but I can never tease it the way I want it. TY!
I haven't tried this product yet but my normal regime is shower at night - put in a texturizing mousse or salt spray from scalp to ends- twist hair in bun- undo in the morning - put in Oscar blandi pronto dry teasing dust in my roots & viola .. Perfect beachy waves with volume in roots. The teasing product is amazing- the best product I've ever used- I have normally flat 0 volume on top & it gives me that oomph sexy kitten volume. Ulta has b1g1 once in a while on Oscar blandi products - the braid texture products rocks too- I use it just like a normal texture product when my hair is wet & twist it up to sleep. I have naturally pin straight hair & it gives me that perfect tousled look. Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The thing is...  One person's mistake is another person's very wise move.  I'm with Allure fka Sample Society *because* they send out primarily samples.  Same with Birchbox.  It might not work for you, but getting married and having kids doesn't work for me.  I don't get to say that anyone else (except my mom, but that's a whole different story) shouldn't do that.  I will pretty much always pick a variety of samples containing enough product for a week or so, deluxe samples, or travel sizes over full sizes.

Sample Society didn't work for me due to the fact that they sent out primarily skincare samples, but that's *me* and my sensitive, picky skin.  One high-end ultra mega fancy night cream that I received in a full-sized version gave me such horrible allergic eczema that I had several people ask me if I was okay.  But I felt compelled to keep it and not even give it away despite the fact that I was only able to use it a few times before I finally realized it was to blame for me reaction because it would have cost over a hundred bucks even though it had come in a box, so I hadn't exactly paid for it.  (I finally gave it to my aunt.  I have no idea what she did with it after that.)  Allure's move away from that is a winning one for me, and if they send out *a* skincare sample in a box that is otherwise body/hair/makeup/hands samples, it will remain so.

And the color variations thing was stated publicly on Facebook, not directly to me by a CS rep.  Since they have held to that for two months in a row, I would say you talked to someone who didn't know.  The CS reps probably support Beauty Bar, Soap, Vine, Casa, Wag, Diapers, and whatever other companies are under the Quidsi umbrella, and, like @ said, they may very well be confusing "product" and "color" here.  I'm trusting the person specifically responding to Allure box questions on Facebook is the one with definitive answers.  I know that's not always the case, but in this instance, it seems more likely than not.
We are always complete opposites in thought and trend. I expect an unusual reply from you when I post in the Subscription area now. I saw it first with BB. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So be it. No one ever said that anyone had to like what anyone else does, or be like them.

I hope all the sample lovin' women get little teeny goodies coming out your ears. Tiny lipsticks, blushes, eyeliners, mascaras, whatever you want-- just not expensive face creams ( whatever that means)..

One thing about it- the samples do give an idea of how the full sized product will look, smell, behave, the other properties, so forth. That's why I get a few boxes with samples-- to see if I want to buy the full sized item. If I remember to use the sample LOL. My organization of my cosmetics and skin care is so detailed that sometimes, I forget to look in the sample boxes for each category of products. I have thrown out enough sample products in the past to make up every beauty queen in the Miss America pageant, LOL. 

Since they are practically worthless, it's not a big deal if I forget to use what came in a $15 box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

As far as procreation goes- I wish I had a sister or a SIL or a cousin or some relative to give samples to. It would be unthinkable to give samples out to friends.. They would not appreciate the gesture. I would, but they wouldn't. ( I'm not from here- makes a diffeence).

I agree that the CS people don't care what they say and that the color variations will remain in most cases except for the products where they specify a single shade, as they have already done this month. I have many more issues with the color variations than I do the product variations. Once again, opposite sides of the cosmetic subscription coin. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

We are always complete opposites in thought and trend. I expect an unusual reply from you when I post in the Subscription area now. I saw it first with BB. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />So be it. No one ever said that anyone had to like what anyone else does, or be like them.

I hope all the sample lovin' women get little teeny goodies coming out your ears. Tiny lipsticks, blushes, eyeliners, mascaras, whatever you want-- just not expensive face creams ( whatever that means)..

One thing about it- the samples do give an idea of how the full sized product will look, smell, behave, the other properties, so forth. That's why I get a few boxes with samples-- to see if I want to buy the full sized item. If I remember to use the sample LOL. My organization of my cosmetics and skin care is so detailed that sometimes, I forget to look in the sample boxes for each category of products. I have thrown out enough sample products in the past to make up every beauty queen in the Miss America pageant, LOL.

Since they are practically worthless, it's not a big deal if I forget to use what came in a $15 box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

As far as procreation goes- I wish I had a sister or a SIL or a cousin or some relative to give samples to. It would be unthinkable to give samples out to friends.. They would not appreciate the gesture. I would, but they wouldn't. ( I'm not from here- makes a diffeence).

I agree that the CS people don't care what they say and that the color variations will remain in most cases except for the products where they specify a single shade, as they have already done this month. I have many more issues with the color variations than I do the product variations. Once again, opposite sides of the cosmetic subscription coin. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
This is just a suggestion but you should find a close women's shelter or an orphanage of young girls & donate your unused samples. It would make their days & also probably make you feel warm & fuzzy. Last year there was a girl in MUT & she was putting together goody bags for orphan girls going to prom- I donated a bunch of products, I can only imagine how much fun it was for them to play with their new pretties... It's Just a suggestion... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We are always complete opposites in thought and trend. I expect an unusual reply from you when I post in the Subscription area now. I saw it first with BB. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So be it. No one ever said that anyone had to like what anyone else does, or be like them.

As far as procreation goes- I wish I had a sister or a SIL or a cousin or some relative to give samples to. It would be unthinkable to give samples out to friends.. They would not appreciate the gesture. I would, but they wouldn't. ( I'm not from here- makes a diffeence).

You might check with the local women's shelter. The one here accepts donations of unused toiletries and makeup for women going on job interviews. 

I myself sub to Sample Society for the samples...hopefully deluxe sample sizes of higher end brands where I wouldn't pay for the full size product unless I knew I really loved it. But, I would much rather get a well-curated assortment of deluxe samples than a few full-size items, even if the value of the full size items is greater.

Back