Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I picked the EveryGirl box too! The second I saw the Benefit Liner I was like "IT WILL BE MINE". So I'm getting two things I've been desperately wanting this month!

Happy Birthday month to meeeeeeeee, lol
After reading your post- I had to check out the everygirl box & then I , of course , signed up too. Happy bday to me too... Lol!!! Mines on Tuesday & frankly I'm at the point where bdays are meh but buying myself presents makes it sooo much more fun!!! Happy birthday to US!!!

@@Shauna999 Happy Early Birthday! My dad AND brother-in-law have that birthday too! And mine's on Thursday.  I really should figure out something to do, it'll just be me and my little ones.  Hmmmm, what to do to spoil myself with 4&6 year old boys in tow? 

I'm hoping my Birchbox with a clicky truck picks up speed and gets here on my birthday.  That would be nice!

You might check with the local women's shelter. The one here accepts donations of unused toiletries and makeup for women going on job interviews. 

I myself sub to Sample Society for the samples...hopefully deluxe sample sizes of higher end brands where I wouldn't pay for the full size product unless I knew I really loved it. But, I would much rather get a well-curated assortment of deluxe samples than a few full-size items, even if the value of the full size items is greater.
I have subbed to SS in the past, but haven't gotten it in a long, long time. In fact, the last time I did get it, I wrote to cancel and mentioned I had joined because of spoilers for a certain item (Vincent Longo eyeshadow trio) but I got a boring Longo black eyeliner instead. I didn't ask for anything, but they refunded my $15! Their customer service is top notch! So, I've always kept my eye on them just waiting until I had a reason to come back. I came back this month specifically to get the Too Faced Peony lipstick. Why? I really, really want to try it, but I don't want to buy full size without trying it first. I was going to get it from Sephora, but it literally went out of stock as I was in the process of shopping online, so I didn't make the purchase. Instead, I waited until today when I got more points.

I totally understand both sides of the coin--wanting full size products and wanting samples. For me, I prefer full size (or at least larger sizes) when we are talking about skin care. I don't mind samples when we are talking about makeup. Why? For one thing, skin care products take extended usage to find out if they work with your body chemistry or not. With makeup, it is pretty much a matter of tossing it on and seeing how it looks. Also, I like variety in my makeup. Because of that, even if I knew I would love the full size TF Melted lipstick, I might not use it up. A nice deluxe sample (which in this case even has the same tip/applicator as the full size) will probably do me just fine. If I love it beyond belief and use it up, then I will buy full size, but that rarely happens with me.

I am hoping SS is going to deluxe sizes (at least) but with a heavy emphasis on makeup. I prefer makeup in my sample boxes because it does give me variety for little cost (which saves me money) and also because I have a good amount of skin care, which I am picky about. Chemicals tend to irritate my skin. I bought some Michael Todd when it was on sale *and* I had a % off code to make it extra cheap. Only recently did I need to repurchase a few cleansers and a toner from him. I got it at a discount too--Zulilly or Hautelook or something. I have also purchased some Ahava, Jurlique, and 100% pure products through Birchbox or beauty.com. I'm not saying I always got to try what I wanted. Generally, if I can use the skin care samples Birchbox sends (meaning, safe for my sensitive skin, natural, etc.), I will use the products but I don't tend to buy them. Instead, I do my reviews and save up points for brands I know will work for me like the Jurlique and 100%. I think it gives me the best of both worlds--expensive samples to try which often last a week or so and then money back to buy what I'd buy anyway.

I am wondering if those who prefer skin care want full sizes moreso than those who prefer makeup in sample boxes. I guess that would make sense to me. But I really am excited to get to try a good amount of the TF Melted, in a usable color, without having to shell out the $20 something bucks for the full size version. Then, though I don't know what else we'll get besides a hair product I won't get much use out of, I know I at least have the chance to get a few other products I might use or at least enjoy trying out. Anyway, that's how I look at it. If they had been able to include a full size TF, then great. Of course it would've been even better than the deluxe. But I'm betting the deluxe has plenty in it to make it worth $8-10 or so, and I didn't pay much more than that for the box. Add in the other products, and I have no doubt I'll easily make up my $5-7 dollars more. I wouldn't get the boxes if it didn't have a higher value than what I have to pay in. That wouldn't make sense. If I got less than what I spent or even if I only got $15 worth of products, it would make more sense to use that money to pick out exactly what I want. That's a no brainer. But even deluxe sizes can give you good value depending on what they are. There is a very small amount of risk involved.

Now look at the boxes that offer full size products. You generally get either less impressive brands, fewer products to try (which means more risk if you don't like any single item because you now need to like the others to make it worth purchasing the box in the first place), and they tend to cost more. I'm a low risk type of person. These sub boxes that cost $30, $40, even $50 are just too much of a gamble to me based on how much it costs to begin with. But a $10-15 sub, maybe even one at $20 where I know I'm going to get more value than what I paid in, well, it is easier to sub to those for me--whether it is Ipsy that does give full sizes for cheap (but not great brands) or Birchbox which gives smaller sizes for cheap (but better brands). I can honestly see value in both. Now for SS (which I haven't forgotten we are talking about here, I swear :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ), well, I am going to have higher expectations for them than either BB or Ipsy because they cost 1.5 times more. I don't think I ever would've subbed without specifically wanting the Too Faced product. Will I stay subbed past this month then? Maybe not. I will always rely on the spoilers to tell me when it might be time to unsub. If they keep offering a deluxe sized makeup item I want to own but I don't want/don't need/can't afford the full size, I'll stay subbed. If not, I'll walk away. It almost seems like SS is trying to offer a balance between value (larger sizes) and quality (pretty high for costing only $15). I like that. The effort to balance the two extremes impresses me. I just hope they can keep it up.

Sorry. I guess I got a bit carried away. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
You might check with the local women's shelter. The one here accepts donations of unused toiletries and makeup for women going on job interviews. 

I myself sub to Sample Society for the samples...hopefully deluxe sample sizes of higher end brands where I wouldn't pay for the full size product unless I knew I really loved it. But, I would much rather get a well-curated assortment of deluxe samples than a few full-size items, even if the value of the full size items is greater.
I donate large " care packages" straight from the company " Yes To" to our local womens' shelter. They have products for babies, acne- prone skin, sensitive skin, whatever, and I pick out a variety of items for all age groups and have it sent from "Yes To" to the shelter each month. I donate 50 packs with full sized shampoo and conditioner, facial wipes, shower gels and other personal care products. 

From the feedback I've gotten, this is exactly what our local women in need can use. It's not high priced samples, it's basic skin, hair and body care products, but maybe I help 50 people a month, and some children with children's items from "Yes To" and " Honest Company".

I'm a giver, not a taker. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I donate large " care packages" straight from the company " Yes To" to our local womens' shelter. They have products for babies, acne- prone skin, sensitive skin, whatever, and I pick out a variety of items for all age groups and have it sent from "Yes To" to the shelter each month. I donate 50 packs with full sized shampoo and conditioner, facial wipes, shower gels and other personal care products. 

From the feedback I've gotten, this is exactly what our local women in need can use. It's not high priced samples, it's basic skin, hair and body care products, but maybe I help 50 people a month, and some children with children's items from "Yes To" and " Honest Company".

I'm a giver, not a taker. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I don't know how many people I help per month. Feel free to ignore the suggestion, it just sounded like you were lamenting throwing away perfectly good, unused samples for lack of someone to give them to. The feedback I've gotten is that receiving a non-essential luxury item like a lipstick or perfume sample can make a huge impact when you're living a bare-bones existence. 

I don't know how many people I help per month. Feel free to ignore the suggestion, it just sounded like you were lamenting throwing away perfectly good, unused samples for lack of someone to give them to. The feedback I've gotten is that receiving a non-essential luxury item like a lipstick or perfume sample can make a huge impact when you're living a bare-bones existence. 
I hadn't thought of a very small item as being useful or appreciated, but I will from now on.

I donate time to this and another shelter,as well as several retirement homes in our town which let my therapy dog come and visit with them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />..  I'll divide the moisturizing skin and hand cream samples from the blingy samples and spread love and cheer around. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for helping me see that the non- essentials help women in a different way, through self- esteem.. IDK why I didn't think of it before now. I guess that I thought someone might think I was giving them something really stingy because it was sample- sized.. but that's not the case, and hopefully, no one will think that.

I haven't tried this product yet but my normal regime is shower at night - put in a texturizing mousse or salt spray from scalp to ends- twist hair in bun- undo in the morning - put in Oscar blandi pronto dry teasing dust in my roots & viola .. Perfect beachy waves with volume in roots. The teasing product is amazing- the best product I've ever used- I have normally flat 0 volume on top & it gives me that oomph sexy kitten volume. Ulta has b1g1 once in a while on Oscar blandi products - the braid texture products rocks too- I use it just like a normal texture product when my hair is wet & twist it up to sleep. I have naturally pin straight hair & it gives me that perfect tousled look. Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
If I put my hair up in a bun or twist before bed and it's not 95% dry then it'll still be wet when I wake up  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It's thick and holds water really well. I just wish it was thick with tons of body or a slight wave to add volume at the roots as opposed to thick and straight. I had a perm in middle school and it wouldn't take! The first time I washed it after the waiting period (3 days?) it went completely straight. Which in hindsight was probably a good thing. The only way I can get a slight wave is either jogging with it tied up and the heat+sweat will set a wave or if I co-wash, don't comb my hair out in the shower and don't do aything besides towel dry it. Any finger combing or similar will completely remove any waves.

I can get curls to stay if I mousse and hairspray the life out of my hair, use hot rollers and then go back with a curling iron over the curls. Yeah... heat damage. I did get a sample of the Marc Anthony Dream Waves spray and it's the closest I've ever been able to get to beach waves. I lightly misted my hair with water, then the dream waves, scrunched the life out of it, twisted, clipped it up to dry and retwisted/clipped a few times to get all the hair dry. I still had to go back and respray with the dream waves after my hair dried but I liked the fact that it didn't make my hair massively tangle like Bumble's Surf Spray and pretty much every other salt spray I've ever tried. Plus it smelled amazing.

I still keep holding out for a beach spray that will work and won't take 2 hours to do. Someday... Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a whirl and see what happens :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hadn't thought of a very small item as being useful or appreciated, but I will from now on.

I donate time to this and another shelter,as well as several retirement homes in our town which let my therapy dog come and visit with them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />..  I'll divide the moisturizing skin and hand cream samples from the blingy samples and spread love and cheer around. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for helping me see that the non- essentials help women in a different way, through self- esteem.. IDK why I didn't think of it before now. I guess that I thought someone might think I was giving them something really stingy because it was sample- sized.. but that's not the case, and hopefully, no one will think that.
I don't think anyone in need considers sample-sized gifts stingy, especially not luxury goods. :smilehappyyes: I donate about a bagful of Bath & Body Works products to my local women's shelter every month or two (oh gosh, I shouldn't shop there so much) and the ladies are always as happy to receive travel size as full size. More so, sometimes, because they are in transition and don't want to be having to move big old bottles of lotion or spray. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oooh I love all the suggestions!  I have plenty of female relatives who *love* getting my extra skincare and makeup stuff, but my personal issue is giving anyone stuff that says "anti-aging" - I just feel like I'm telling people that they look old!  

I'll set them aside to donate, though.  I'm sure there are women who would want to use that kind of regimen, but can't afford, or don't have access to those products. 

(Oh! @@meaganola we should totally add "Are you ok with receiving anti-aging stuff?" to the Secret Santa quiz! I know we had questions about self-tanners, but I don't remember anti-aging being a specific concern.)

(Oh! @@meaganola we should totally add "Are you ok with receiving anti-aging stuff?" to the Secret Santa quiz! I know we had questions about self-tanners, but I don't remember anti-aging being a specific concern.)
We could, but I don't know what's going on with Secret Santa or if we (that is, the members) will have any control over the survey from here on out.

We'll just throw it into the discussion thread  :smilehappyyes:

So if they ship on the 5th, when do the dashboards update?  I wanna see the other 2 items!  

Oh, it's very common for Customer Service people to give very different answers to the same question.  Most times, a wrong answer will be that you got an.... "unmotivated" worker who was more interested in giving you the answer you wanted without spending any more time on the phone than he/she had to.  The other, more understandable explanation is maybe they were confused about the difference between PRODUCT variation (everyone will get a Ciate polish!) and COLOR variation (everyone will get the SAME Ciate polish!).  

My personal interpretation of all the answers posted from CS reps is that there will no longer be product variations, which is good because that is where box envy comes from!  There may be color variation on cosmetic products like lipsticks and nail polishes.  This may still cause some envy, but at least trading will be easier as people have a wide range of color preferences.

Also funny story, my July box was delivered while I was away visiting family and a neighbor picked it up to hold for me (the ONE drawback about their UPS delivery!  Cannot be held with the rest of my mail!).  We both forgot about it, and she just reminded me yesterday and dropped it by!  I had read so much about the boxes and my variations for Kit B that I FORGOT I didn't have the product in hand!  That said, I find this box absolutely wonderful.  Love a good hair mask, the perfume smells beautiful, if not exactly my taste, anything Laura Mercier is fine by me, I'm loving the Ruby Opera color MUCH more than I thought I would (AND ended up with the Rose Melody as a L'Oreal Panelist study compensation!), and I love... LOVE the Butter London polish!  I don't have a deep gold-bronze like Old Bill, and I think it'll be a great base under Scuppered (got in one of the "old" boxes when I purchased a 10-set in the sale)!

Oooh look at me all chatty today!
I just used Scuppered last night, and I don't think you'll need an undie - it looked thin to me in the bottle, but it was opaque in 2 coats

Goody. My Allure box shipped on the 1st and will arrive on Friday this week.Just like they used to do- be the first sub box of the month. I loved SS for that part too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Under kit it says " null". Just one of those changes, I think. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Goody. My Allure box shipped on the 1st and will arrive on Friday this week.Just like they used to do- be the first sub box of the month. I loved SS for that part too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Under kit it says " null". Just one of those changes, I think. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
My order says expected delivery tomorrow although it still says Processing and doesn't show a tracking number. It says "August Kit" there with no letter or number so I dunno if they are showing the variations in nail color in the kit letters this month.

Mine says it will start shipping on the 5th...that is today!  However, no sign of tracking number or kit letter or anything along those lines...that being said, the rest of the box should be revealed anytime now, right?

That would be amazing if we start receiving it soon!  I just checked my tracking for last month, the shipping notification didn't go out til the 9th and mine was delivered on the 15th.  If it comes earlier this month, so much the better! 

I don't know how to post spoilers...

Other 2 items:

Jane Iredale Longest Lash Mascara, Black Ice Deluxe Sample

Kate Somerville Dilo Oil Deluxe Sample

(I got ya! -magicalmom)
OMG I've been wanting to try that second one. That is soooo exciting! I hope it's not too small so I can really try it out. Courtney Kerr recommended it on her blog & she has excellent skin. 

Back