Sample Society July 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a happier note, my box came today! Kit G, super happy with it!

This is my first Lavanila experience, and I LOVE it!! I might be buying the full-size. The eyeshadows are super pretty (Sweet Melody trio, which is perfect for me), and I haven't tried the face tonic yet, but I can't wait because I put a little on my hand to smell it, and it smells sooooo goood!

On a happier note, my box came today! Kit G, super happy with it! That sounds like an awesome box!! I actually use Lavanilla deodorant and LOVE it, but had no idea they make a perfume...I can already see where my $15 coupon is headed!!
This is my first Lavanila experience, and I LOVE it!! I might be buying the full-size. The eyeshadows are super pretty (Sweet Melody trio, which is perfect for me), and I haven't tried the face tonic yet, but I can't wait because I put a little on my hand to smell it, and it smells sooooo goood!

Originally Posted by Zaichik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously?

Very few are happy with any boxes. Either there are too many skin care products or not enough, or nothing they like.

It is not a pre-ordered box with everything you choose so there will be some disappointment or better sign up to a program where you can mix and match.

I was also quite disappointed with last 2 boxes and thought to cancel if this box sucks.

SS makes it up to the clients though they don't have to as birchbox or ipsy who btw did not care when they sent out an empty bb cream.

I feel sorry for SS that so many people do not appreciate one bit the service they get. SS should do the same as their competitors: not care a damn.
Ha! You're funny!  You think this thread is full of complainers.  Swing on over to a Birchbox or hell even PopSugar thread.  Or check out Facebook, you can get a real sense of a level of complaints one service can generate.

I think the complaints are rather mild here and if you get sample that's empty or nearly empty, that's a pretty legit complaint and worth alerting Sample Society. 

Fwiw my eyegoop is damn near empty too, and I traded two products with another Sample Society subscriber.  I didn't complain to Sample Society because for the most part their boxes have been great. 

Originally Posted by Zaichik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG!!! people, pleeeeease stop complaining!!! 

Every month you are witching non-stop about awful samples.

Do you think SS used all the cream from the sample of this eye cream and sent out what is left??? Maybe that was the reason for the delay :DDD

But seriously, it is not their fault that the company sampled so little in a big tube. The samples are ok. 

Those who got eye shadows covered the expense as it is full size. 
But I didn't get the full size eyeshadow. And 2 of my samples were empty. Yes it isn't SS fault that my items were empty, but if they are sending them out then it is their job to make sure that the sample is good. At least that's how I feel.

Originally Posted by JamieO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a happier note, my box came today! Kit G, super happy with it!

Yes! I love the LaVanilla. I actually use the Vanilla Grapefruit perfume on a regular basis and with my code I think I'm going to be getting the vanilla. :)

Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received my box (read: the UPS man dropped it off on my door step 3 minutes ago and I just got everything unboxed).  I honestly don't care about the other items in my box - the Lavanila perfume and Vincent Longo eyeshadow trio are worth more to me than the $15 I paid for this box.  I adore the Lavanila Pure Vanilla perfume and I think the colors in the Vincent Longo eyeshadow trio (Sweet Melody - light pink, dark purple, and green -- yes, this is the over-simplified version of the colors) will look fabulous on my hazel/green eyes.  Well done, Sample Society.  Well done indeed.

I think I had a reaction to the Jane Iredale lip/cheek stain that was sent in a previous box (in May, I think?) and am slightly apprehensive about trying the lipstick.  Did anyone else experience a burning sensation with the Jane Iredale lip/cheek stain?  I don't know what might have caused it.  The Jane Iredale lipstick samples are super adorable though.  I'll give them that.

Is the Supergoop Eye Cream just a glorified eye-area sunscreen?  The only two ingredients listed are sunscreens.  
What kit did you get?  I haven't seen the Lavanilla perfume yet.  That sounds like a great box!

G, I think?  It definitely was a great box.  I'm really glad I got good boxes from Sample Society & Birchbox this month - my birthday is later this month.

Ok, I just gotta pop in and say this. I mentioned an email I got from Armando in customer service and how, overall, I LOVED that he took the time to reply to me. I even wrote about some of what he said. MOST of what he said was good, but there was one thing he said which disturbed me a great deal. Here is a direct quote from him in the email:

"I am aware that the boxes are varied depending on how long the Sample Society membership has gone on, as well as the technical aspects."

Ok, what that says to me is that Sample Society purposely sends the more desirable boxes to customers who have been with them the longest and sends less desirable boxes to new customers. So I don't want to have anyone tell me there is no reason to complain. Even Birchbox, which can be hit or miss, realizes they need to send some good boxes out to new subscribers. They don't purposely send their less desirable boxes to those who have only been with them for a month or two. So...for those who have said "I got my first box and hated it. I will give them one more month to impress me..." I would not count on your next box being much better. I don't know how long it would take for you to move up the list to get a better box, but I would think it would at least take 3 or 4 months. If I am correct in how I am reading what was said by Sample Society's own customer service department, you can pretty much expect to be disappointed for the first few months in a row.

Now, I have always praised SS for their customer service. When they first sent out boxes and I first signed up, I praised the contents of the boxes too. They sent the same stuff to everyone. I understand that as they grow, they might be forced to send out box variations. However, it is most decidedly NOT ok for them to only send good samples to their long time subscribers *without* first informing new subscribers that this is the case. I don't think it is a good idea in general, because I have never heard of any other sub services approaching box assignments this way. Many people will not want to pay $15 a month for what they *know* are going to be the worst boxes sent out for 3-4 months in a row just waiting and hoping their boxes will get better in month 5 or 6 or 7, whatever. Still, if they want to do it this way, they need to explain their business model to new customers so they can give their informed consent. Just put a disclaimer that says something like "Your samples will improve in value and desirability the longer you remain a member." However they want to phrase it, I don't care, but they do need to provide the information. If they had said this, I would have chosen to not subscribe at all as I thought July was going to be a great month. But that is just me. Perhaps someone with a different personality would say, "ok, I *like* the idea of a sub that rewards me for being loyal. I'll just stick with it for a while and trade things I don't like or just give them a try anyway." That's just not me. I like knowing there's a *chance* I will get the most desirable samples sent out, even if that is not what *happens* in actuality.

Discussion is just that--a discussion. It is bound to include comments which are positive as well as those which are negative. And yes, as Katlyne said, complaining that you are sent something which is completely empty when you paid to receive that sample, among others, is very valid.

As for me, I am hoping Sample Society listens to our complaints, suggestions, concerns, whatever you care to call them, so that they can improve their service. I see LOTS of potential in them, but right now, they just aren't pulling things off very well. I want them to step it up (with a better profile quiz to start with) so I can feel comfortable resubbing. Right now, I just don't feel comfortable giving them my $15 a month. I don't want to suffer through crap boxes for who knows how many months until they deem me worthy of something good.

[SIZE=small] Ok, that's all. [/SIZE]
soap.gif
 over... (PS--Sorry about the wonky fonts. It was all due to cutting and pasting Armando's quote from my email.)

I don't see anything wrong with rewarding loyal customers with better boxes. I also think it's insane to think a company would tell new subscribers that, they might tell them their boxes will only get better but seriously they're running a business to make money not friends. I don't play the unsub sub game with my boxes. I got a desirable box this month. I see nothing wrong with rewarding customers who don't try to game the system by subbing then un subbing. They really don't have to disclose anything to any one, because subscribing is your choice. As is canceling at any time for any reason. They don't make you disclose your reasons for canceling so why would they disclose their formula for box distribution. I get the sense that you feel these companies 'owe' you for subscribing, you gave them your money they provide a service. They don't owe us anything more. If they go above and beyond that great, but your expectations of being provided information isn't a model many companies strive to attain.

Sorry if I contributed to all of the complaints on here. I called SS customer service line and told them about the empty eye cream. I am getting a replacement yay! I don't think SS is a bad company and I can tell that they care about their loyal customers (that's a good thing). I was very disappointed initially, but I am more than willing to be more optimistic this time. I've been hearing really awesome things about them so I want to experience their awesome service sooner rather than later, so I can say awesome things about them too 
biggrin.gif

I actually liked my box (Kit I) after I received it because I know I'll use everything. I just didn't like the empty samples. I don't always have money so there are months when I cancel and resub to SS and I don't think my boxes have ever been awful. I mean the only month I've ever had SS box envy was this month and I'm going to be getting the item I really wanted anyway (the eyeshadow. I'm trading my mom a pair of earrings that I bought awhile ago and never used and she's giving it to me!)  I'll keep them straight for a few months, but otherwise I'll probably continue with my on and off thing because I don't always have that extra $15 around the first and my boxes are always ok!

I am on the fence about the quality of the samples improving over time.  On one hand I really like it, because I have been a subscriber about 8 months and my boxes have improved and I do think there should be an incentive to stay a subscriber long term.  On the other hand, I can see that new subscribers or re-subscribers might find that irritating.  But the funny thing is, my boxes previously were always good, I don't remember ever receiving a box I didn't like.  So, I guess I lean towards the system as it stands, I have been a happy subscriber to SS.

Ok, I just gotta pop in and say this. I mentioned an email I got from Armando in customer service and how, overall, I LOVED that he took the time to reply to me. I even wrote about some of what he said. MOST of what he said was good, but there was one thing he said which disturbed me a great deal. Here is a direct quote from him in the email: "I am aware that the boxes are varied depending on how long the Sample Society membership has gone on, as well as the technical aspects." I think you are misunderstanding him... I think they mean that with longer subscribed customers they have to continually find new things we have not received before into the boxes. For newer subscribers they have a couple of items that they mix in with new items bc they still have those products in stock. I doubt they are going out of there way to create "bad boxes" for new subs. Someone has also mentioned that SS cant keep track of ppl who were former subscribers so repeats are bound to happen in those cases. Anyway #TeamArmando Ok, what that says to me is that Sample Society purposely sends the more desirable boxes to customers who have been with them the longest and sends less desirable boxes to new customers. So I don't want to have anyone tell me there is no reason to complain. Even Birchbox, which can be hit or miss, realizes they need to send some good boxes out to new subscribers. They don't purposely send their less desirable boxes to those who have only been with them for a month or two. So...for those who have said "I got my first box and hated it. I will give them one more month to impress me..." I would not count on your next box being much better. I don't know how long it would take for you to move up the list to get a better box, but I would think it would at least take 3 or 4 months. If I am correct in how I am reading what was said by Sample Society's own customer service department, you can pretty much expect to be disappointed for the first few months in a row. Now, I have always praised SS for their customer service. When they first sent out boxes and I first signed up, I praised the contents of the boxes too. They sent the same stuff to everyone. I understand that as they grow, they might be forced to send out box variations. However, it is most decidedly NOT ok for them to only send good samples to their long time subscribers *without* first informing new subscribers that this is the case. I don't think it is a good idea in general, because I have never heard of any other sub services approaching box assignments this way. Many people will not want to pay $15 a month for what they *know* are going to be the worst boxes sent out for 3-4 months in a row just waiting and hoping their boxes will get better in month 5 or 6 or 7, whatever. Still, if they want to do it this way, they need to explain their business model to new customers so they can give their informed consent. Just put a disclaimer that says something like "Your samples will improve in value and desirability the longer you remain a member." However they want to phrase it, I don't care, but they do need to provide the information. If they had said this, I would have chosen to not subscribe at all as I thought July was going to be a great month. But that is just me. Perhaps someone with a different personality would say, "ok, I *like* the idea of a sub that rewards me for being loyal. I'll just stick with it for a while and trade things I don't like or just give them a try anyway." That's just not me. I like knowing there's a *chance* I will get the most desirable samples sent out, even if that is not what *happens* in actuality. Discussion is just that--a discussion. It is bound to include comments which are positive as well as those which are negative. And yes, as Katlyne said, complaining that you are sent something which is completely empty when you paid to receive that sample, among others, is very valid. As for me, I am hoping Sample Society listens to our complaints, suggestions, concerns, whatever you care to call them, so that they can improve their service. I see LOTS of potential in them, but right now, they just aren't pulling things off very well. I want them to step it up (with a better profile quiz to start with) so I can feel comfortable resubbing. Right now, I just don't feel comfortable giving them my $15 a month. I don't want to suffer through crap boxes for who knows how many months until they deem me worthy of something good. [SIZE=small] Ok, that's all. [/SIZE]
soap.gif
 over... (PS--Sorry about the wonky fonts. It was all due to cutting and pasting Armando's quote from my email.)

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am on the fence about the quality of the samples improving over time.  On one hand I really like it, because I have been a subscriber about 8 months and my boxes have improved and I do think there should be an incentive to stay a subscriber long term.  On the other hand, I can see that new subscribers or re-subscribers might find that irritating.  But the funny thing is, my boxes previously were always good, I don't remember ever receiving a box I didn't like.  So, I guess I lean towards the system as it stands, I have been a happy subscriber to SS.
I received Box B which had some of the more desirable samples: eye shadow, Lollia hand cream and the big tube of red flower hair wash.

So I think re-subscribers are safe, he probably meant brand new subscribers with empty dashboards.

I received Box B which had some of the more desirable samples: eye shadow, Lollia hand cream and the big tube of red flower hair wash. So I think re-subscribers are safe, he probably meant brand new subscribers with empty dashboards.
I'm a resubscriber (canceled after three acne products in four months when acne is very much not a problem for me, rejoined in time for the butter LONDON month) and I got kit B as well -- after getting the three-moisturizer box last month. I think they tend to have one great month, then two or three bad months, then another great month, then a few more bad months, rinse and repeat. I specifically remember getting a free box to try to lure me back after I canceled due to the bad boxes (and it was better, but not good enough to make me want to spend money on it), so I do think they're consciously on a good/bad cycle.

Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see anything wrong with rewarding loyal customers with better boxes. I also think it's insane to think a company would tell new subscribers that, they might tell them their boxes will only get better but seriously they're running a business to make money not friends.

I don't play the unsub sub game with my boxes. I got a desirable box this month. I see nothing wrong with rewarding customers who don't try to game the system by subbing then un subbing.

They really don't have to disclose anything to any one, because subscribing is your choice. As is canceling at any time for any reason. They don't make you disclose your reasons for canceling so why would they disclose their formula for box distribution.

I get the sense that you feel these companies 'owe' you for subscribing, you gave them your money they provide a service. They don't owe us anything more. If they go above and beyond that great, but your expectations of being provided information isn't a model many companies strive to attain.
Wow! Well, obviously we are in complete disagreement. As for thinking they 'owe' me something well, yeah, I wouldn't have given them my money for free now would I?! Of course I expect to get something in return. Why wouldn't I expect to be treated the same as any other paying customer either? You really don't have to be so rude. And no, I don't think it is 'insane' of me to think they would tell people that. Geez! Customer service used to be so much better in general. (Sorry if I'm showing my age here--under 40 but sounding like an old woman shaking her cane, I suppose). I don't expect them to explain in detail how they approach their business, but I do remember in the old days (not speaking of subs here but just in general) that companies had no problem being honest about things like this. Again, I am not so much complaining about them choosing to send out less desirable boxes to loyal customers (I explicitly said I understood that) as I am about them not giving any *hints* about this when signing up. They can phrase things in the right way, spin it to make it sound like rewarding loyalty, so they look good and not bad. I think my expectations are perfectly in line with the way companies should operate. If people are starting to think otherwise, well, clearly lots of people are drinking the cool aid and companies probably love that!

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, like I said, I can understand rewarding loyalty, but I have other issues with this. Btw, I was really a re-subscriber and I guess I was also a bit perturbed they didn't appear to recognize and reward that. I reactivated an old account. I had signed up with them shortly after they started up and got them for 3-4 months. I cancelled, never resubbing until now. I just kind of moved on to other things. So it isn't like I sub and unsub, sub and unsub. I had a period of being with them, moved on, saw how excited everyone was on here, and joined up again. But, when I unsubbed originally, they had not started sending out box variations at all. Boy have they changed over time! And part of what I typed was a reaction to being with them in the beginning, being away for half a year or so (?), and then coming back to see how much they have changed. I don't blame you for being happy. If they are treating someone who has been with them for 8 months the right way then GREAT--exactly what they should do! But another reason I piped up to offer the quote from my email was because I saw several people saying "I signed up with them last month and this is my second month and I got a bad box" or "This was my first box and I am going to give them just one more month to see if it is better and if not I will cancel." I wanted to provide the information I was given to others so they would know what I knew and be able to make informed decisions. If the roles were reversed, I would want someone to provide me the same courtesy of giving out the information, that's all. Didn't mean to start such a sh*t storm, really.

Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are misunderstanding him...

I think they mean that with longer subscribed customers they have to continually find new things we have not received before into the boxes.

For newer subscribers they have a couple of items that they mix in with new items bc they still have those products in stock.

I doubt they are going out of there way to create "bad boxes" for new subs.

Someone has also mentioned that SS cant keep track of ppl who were former subscribers so repeats are bound to happen in those cases.
First I wanted to agree that we have a right to complain.  I think that's what MUT is about, discussing the good and the bad.  I do however agree with Jannie.  When I read his response I took it to mean that the boxes vary because they don't want to send out repeats.  So the old customers will get different boxes from the new customers because they have already received some of the items in there.  I really hope they are not purposely making "bad" boxes to give to new customers.  That wouldn't make much sense business wise.  That being said, I would be disappointed in your box also.  I hope you get a better box next month if you continue your subscription.

Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First I wanted to agree that we have a right to complain.  I think that's what MUT is about, discussing the good and the bad.  I do however agree with Jannie.  When I read his response I took it to mean that the boxes vary because they don't want to send out repeats.  So the old customers will get different boxes from the new customers because they have already received some of the items in there.  I really hope they are not purposely making "bad" boxes to give to new customers.  That wouldn't make much sense business wise.  That being said, I would be disappointed in your box also.  I hope you get a better box next month if you continue your subscription.
Well, perhaps I am reading it a bit wrong, but I still don't see any signal in there about concerns of repeats. I don't think they are trying to make 'bad' boxes, but I do wonder if they recognize that some boxes are better than others and they do want to send the better boxes to long term customers. I hope that makes sense. They aren't trying to actively *make the boxes bad*, but they kind of recognize they are going to be less popular so they'd rather send them to newer subscribers. That's what I'm still thinking.

Anyway, I just saw such a stark difference in SS between the time when I signed up & cancelled with them last year versus getting this box. It was like they had turned into something very different. I think I'm starting to figure out how subs work and each kind of has its own culture. With BB, I finally figured out that they 'give' you the samples at very, very little cost, but the catch is, you have to stay with them long enough to cash out your points. That's the only way BB is worth it--saving up and using 100 points for the $10 off. Otherwise, the samples are too small and often too uninteresting to make it worth it. (Though I am happy to say I got the Pur CC cream in light--first CC cream I've tried though I've tried BBs before and never liked one of them. This looks like a near perfect match for my skin so I might just buy it soon.) Ipsy gives you better value for your money right up front. Sample Society used to be more like Ipsy, but now I think they are more like BB. You get the $15 off coupon and that's how you get the value for your money if they send you a box full of stuff you don't want. But if you stay with them, I guess they shift to be more like a combo of Ipsy and BB??? Like those who got the Vincent Longo eyeshadow *and* the $15 off coupon really got a great deal! Anyway, I was not prepared for the change I saw in them. I cancelled and I'm happy with that for now. I really need to stop spending so much on sample boxes anyway, especially since I found Wantable which costs a pretty penny. I'm keeping BB for now, until I accrue points to 'recoup' my investment. I'm certainly keeping Ipsy! I prefer getting my value up front than having to wait on it--that's just me. So overall SS isn't bad if you want to stay with them and/or plan on always using your $15 coupon. I'm just not looking for the long term commitment right now, lol! The Ipsy model works better for me.

I cancelled SS too. I just felt like I was getting the same, tired samples of products that have been around forever and are available in so many other shops...Philosophy, Stila, etc. And I didn't like that the discount could only be used if you buy an item you received as a sample. So I wasnt really taking advantage of that added value of the program. And I don't feel like they give better samples to loyal subscribers. I had been a subscriber for almost a year and felt like the other box variatons I saw were much more interesting than what I recieved. But that is just my perception. And another pet peeve? That nasty black squiggly box stuffing covers everything with paper dust! So annoying. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Edit: realized after I posted I am incorrect on the coupon. Has to be used on a product by the brand in your box, not necessarily the actual sample you received.

Latest posts

Back