Secret Santa 2012 rules

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick shipping question -- would you gals wrap the actual exterior box or just the presents? I want the package to obviously look awesome but I'd hate it if I wrapped it and it got to my person all beatup/torn/etc. 

Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question... The rules said a $25 value correct? I'm noticing that a lot of girls bought a lot more than that which is obviously great, but I spent a little more than $25 on my girl. Are most of you spending a lot more? I just don't want it to seem like I didn't buy enough...
Don't worry about your spending. My understanding is : buy something worth $25 according to reciepient's wish list or preference and the rest is up to you.

Most people (as far as I can see) added some stuff directly availabe at hand which does not add extra cost.

I spent around $30 on newly bought stuff and also selected some extras from my current collection.

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quick shipping question -- would you gals wrap the actual exterior box or just the presents? I want the package to obviously look awesome but I'd hate it if I wrapped it and it got to my person all beatup/torn/etc. 
You can't wrap the exterior per USPS regulations - you can buy a shipping box that has a pattern on it already though. The reason is that any wrapping on the exterior shipping box maybe torn.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can't wrap the exterior per USPS regulations - you can buy a shipping box that has a pattern on it already though. The reason is that any wrapping on the exterior shipping box maybe torn.
Good to know - thank you!!

Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question... The rules said a $25 value correct? I'm noticing that a lot of girls bought a lot more than that which is obviously great, but I spent a little more than $25 on my girl. Are most of you spending a lot more? I just don't want it to seem like I didn't buy enough...
I spent just around $25.  A couple of dollars over, because I was thinking of it as $25 before tax.

I bought on really good item for my girl based on brands she said she liked, normally over the $25 limit but got it on sale, yay.  I then hadmade three more items.  I really hope she likes it.  I put alot of thought and effort into her gift.  I will be sending it out tomorrow.

I did spend 25 but i did have some other stuff that i already had that i will include. But black friday and cyber monday helped a lot with all the sales :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also im glad someone asked about wrapping the exterior of the package, I wanted to do that but good thing i didnt. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> wouldnt want it to be delivered with ripped wrapping paper.

As I mentioned you can't wrap the shipping box but you CAN decorate it. The reason why it's not allowed to be wrapped is two reasons really - I mentioned one about ripping and the whole matter on it isn't that it can be torn making it bad for the person getting it but for the automated machines that sort the packages. The other is in the event the item has to be opened to be inspected (especially if shipped internationally). I don't know if decopodge boxes are allowed so if you want to go that route I would suggest contacting your local USPS or whatever shipping company you plan to use and ask.

I also mentioned you can buy decorative mailers. I find decorative mailers at The UPS Store and similar mailing stores. Patterns and prices vary but it's usually under $5. The reasons these are allowed is that it's part of the box already and doesn't compromise the machines or getting into the box if need be.

​

I spent over $25 but that's just me - I overdo everything! I wrapped a few items but I couldn't wrap it all. I think she may get it today!

As I mentioned you can't wrap the shipping box but you CAN decorate it. The reason why it's not allowed to be wrapped is two reasons really - I mentioned one about ripping and the whole matter on it isn't that it can be torn making it bad for the person getting it but for the automated machines that sort the packages. The other is in the event the item has to be opened to be inspected (especially if shipped internationally). I don't know if decopodge boxes are allowed so if you want to go that route I would suggest contacting your local USPS or whatever shipping company you plan to use and ask.

I also mentioned you can buy decorative mailers. I find decorative mailers at The UPS Store and similar mailing stores. Patterns and prices vary but it's usually under $5. The reasons these are allowed is that it's part of the box already and doesn't compromise the machines or getting into the box if need be.

​
Cute!

It's bad that I'm sitting here checking the tracking so I know when my Santee gets her package, which hopefully should be today?

ME TOO!! It should have been there yesterday and I checked it all day yesterday and now into today. I am so excited for her LOL

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's bad that I'm sitting here checking the tracking so I know when my Santee gets her package, which hopefully should be today?

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i did that too, mine got hers yersterday!!! i cant wait to see how she liked it!!!!

​
What I have done in the past (and my packages have gone through), is wrap the box in wrapping paper (even obnoxious patterns are okay), but on the panel where I have the mailing info, postage, etc, I clear tape with a white sheet of paper - so all the mailing info is black ink on white. To keep the wrapping paper from ripping, I clear (packing) tape all the edges and wrapping seams. You just have to make sure the mailing info and postage are perfectly readable and scan-able. 

Back