Silk Naturals

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried this out not too long ago and I really like it. I like the light formula; it's finely milled. I found mixing my own foundation very fun and also foolproof and forgiving since it's very hard buying foundation online. I've spent at lease $20 on Alima foundation samples and I still haven't found a match!

I need to stay away from that web site - I end up buying something, or two somethings, or five somethings every time I'm there!

Love the lippies, and the foundation is great for me. Plus the FPs, and the eyeshadows *twitch* *drool*.

Karen's also been good enough to re-mail an order that got lost in the post.

I'm sooo happy, my last order from Karen has finally arrived in today's mail. I had completely given up on it as it had been shipped on dec.5th! but it's here, and I just can't wait to try the sample of moisturizer Karen sent along with it
rockwoot.gif

I just got my sample kit and will formulate my shade tomorrow. what brush do you use to swatch it on your face to see if its a good match?

Originally Posted by noahlowryfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just got my sample kit and will formulate my shade tomorrow. what brush do you use to swatch it on your face to see if its a good match? I have used an eyeshadow brush for swatching. An eyesadow brush applies more thickly than you will with foundation normally, but more narrow. You just need to remember that a kabuki or flat top will apply more evenly and airbrushed looking. Happy mixing!

first time posting, just got my Sn product but have yet to use it as am not sure how to blend for my skin tone.... i bought the warm gold ( asian tone )... any suggestions.. am neither fair nor dark..... : )

You need a good light source to start with - natural light is best.

If you're somewhere in the middle, I'd start with maybe six scoops of white, then one scoop of coloured base, mix really really well (close the container and shake the hell out of it, basically, then when you open it check that there aren't any big white or brown spots - it's not that hard but it does want to be well mixed).

See how that suits, then go from there adding a bit more dark or light if you need. When you're close to what you want, try it on your forehead or jawline, and see how it looks. If it's close, give it ten minutes or so, it may be a match and just needs to meld to your skin.

If it's not close tinker with it some more. It's actually kind of fun once you start doing it.

Thanks Gavriela.... will try it...... .kind of excited but i also realize that the portion is not that much..... my hand is itching to buy some more and i have not even started!

Hi Gavriela!

You say 'natural light is best' - does it need to be bright natural light? Like a sunny day? I have the SN sample too, and have had lots of cloudy days lately, so I haven't even tried to mix it up yet.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gavriela /img/forum/go_quote.gif You need a good light source to start with - natural light is best.
If you're somewhere in the middle, I'd start with maybe six scoops of white, then one scoop of coloured base, mix really really well (close the container and shake the hell out of it, basically, then when you open it check that there aren't any big white or brown spots - it's not that hard but it does want to be well mixed).

See how that suits, then go from there adding a bit more dark or light if you need. When you're close to what you want, try it on your forehead or jawline, and see how it looks. If it's close, give it ten minutes or so, it may be a match and just needs to meld to your skin.

If it's not close tinker with it some more. It's actually kind of fun once you start doing it.

Originally Posted by Gavriela /img/forum/go_quote.gif You need a good light source to start with - natural light is best.

The only helpful tip I'd like to add is don't put the sifter on until you are done tweaking the color. It is a pain to take on and off and the powders should be thoroughly mixed before testing. In my first mixing I got powder above the sifter and it ended up not being a true representation of the ratio I used.

Originally Posted by vitaeZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Gavriela!You say 'natural light is best' - does it need to be bright natural light? Like a sunny day? I have the SN sample too, and have had lots of cloudy days lately, so I haven't even tried to mix it up yet.

Thanks!

Not Gavriela, but I'd just find the best natural light you can! In the winter we can be waiting for weeks for some sun where I live. The beauty of this foundation is its changeability. If you decide one day it is too dark, you can add a little white to lighten it.

Originally Posted by jward /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not Gavriela, but I'd just find the best natural light you can! In the winter we can be waiting for weeks for some sun where I live. The beauty of this foundation is its changeability. If you decide one day it is too dark, you can add a little white to lighten it. Great! Thank you! I may try mixing mine up this afternoon then!

I just got my first SN order and everything looks wonderful. The only thing that I'm unsure of is the smell of the lippie. How are they supposed to smell? The lipgloss has a nice sweet pleasant smell and taste but the lipstick has some kind of "old lipstick smell" almost as if it has turned. I know they are all organic and maybe it is supposed to smell like that but I wonder anyway.

Originally Posted by cleodelinda /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just got my first SN order and everything looks wonderful. The only thing that I'm unsure of is the smell of the lippie. How are they supposed to smell? The lipgloss has a nice sweet pleasant smell and taste but the lipstick has some kind of "old lipstick smell" almost as if it has turned. I know they are all organic and maybe it is supposed to smell like that but I wonder anyway. As far as I know, a main ingredient in the glosses is a sweet beeswax she buys from an Apiary near her home. The lipstick's primary ingredient is shea butter. Shea has an almost smokey smell in its natural state. It is probably the shea butter contributing to the smell of the lipstick. I am certain the lipstick is fresh.

Originally Posted by jward /img/forum/go_quote.gif As far as I know, a main ingredient in the glosses is a sweet beeswax she buys from an Apiary near her home. The lipstick's primary ingredient is shea butter. Shea has an almost smokey smell in its natural state. It is probably the shea butter contributing to the smell of the lipstick. I am certain the lipstick is fresh. Thanks! I don't doubt that the lipstick is fresh, but I needed an explanation to the smell.
smile.gif

Hi, I have been eyeing on Silk Naturals Foundations Perfecting Harmony but I'm not sure which one to order..Warm, Buttery Gold, and Ebony seems to match my skin (maybe i have weird undertones -_-')

I am using MAC Concealer in NW35 and Physician's Formula Mineral Powder in Bronzer...anyone can help me?

I'm not that great on MAC shades, but NW means 'cool toned' in the rest of the world, doesn't it?

If so, I'd try the Ebony - but you'll get all three with the sample kit, so you can play around with it if that doesn't work. Sounds like it should be a match, though, at least if I interpreted the MAC properly.

NW means Warm, i think...where NC means Cool
biggrin.gif
hehehe thank you for your tip, yeah MAC shouldnt be a standard coz they could be misleading sometimes and limited shades, but thats the only thing i can refer to.

So thank you...

Hi I have ordered from Silk Naturals in the past. I had purchased their sample pack which at the time came only with the Ebony foundation. I had placed another order the other day and purchased the full size kit and another sample pack. Just wanted to let you know that the sample pack now comes with all 3 bases. So you can play around and see what works for you. I also ordered a few of their lippies and they are wonderful!

Originally Posted by ShizzNizzLe /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi, I have been eyeing on Silk Naturals Foundations Perfecting Harmony but I'm not sure which one to order..Warm, Buttery Gold, and Ebony seems to match my skin (maybe i have weird undertones -_-')
I am using MAC Concealer in NW35 and Physician's Formula Mineral Powder in Bronzer...anyone can help me?

Yep, NW means you have neutral to cool tones. The 'ebony' shade should be great for you.

Back