(SPOILERS) Ipsy February 2013!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to throw out there the idea for a nude liner! I only have two one from nars and one from stila, I use the every day and would live to expand my collection. Also brow products, like a powder duo and maybe a mini perfume bottle of the nicki Minaj perfume. I thought it was going to be so tacky and stinky, but I loved it (once I was able to find a tester with product in it.... I probably tried on 5 separate shopping trips to smell the stuff, they were always totally out. I found it very universal and nice

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to throw out there the idea for a nude liner! I only have two one from nars and one from stila, I use the every day and would live to expand my collection. Also brow products, like a powder duo and maybe a mini perfume bottle of the nicki Minaj perfume. I thought it was going to be so tacky and stinky, but I loved it (once I was able to find a tester with product in it.... I probably tried on 5 separate shopping trips to smell the stuff, they were always totally out. I found it very universal and nice
Agreed on nude liner. And a deluxe size perfume sample will always win me over.

Agreed on nude liner. And a deluxe size perfume sample will always win me over.
Yep! I finally got a good sized perfume sample from birchbox! It was the fresh citron, so glad to have anything bigger than a vial! I am hoping I can get the bottle apart to refill it when it's empty, the bottle is very nice quality

That UD balm is terrible, so I hope we don't get that again, but I would love a bag like that! And I wanted a bun donut forever, though I just chopped my hair off a couple of weeks ago...still wouldn't mind one for whenever I grow it back :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have yet to swatch the UD bb cream. is it really that bad? I love the naked foundation and was hoping it'd work for me as well. what issues did you encounter with the bb cream?

Originally Posted by jleepx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif
I have yet to swatch the UD bb cream. is it really that bad? I love the naked foundation and was hoping it'd work for me as well. what issues did you encounter with the bb cream?
a real bb cream is supposed to provide some coverage while giving skin care benefits to your skin. The UD "BB cream" gives no coverage at all! It's supposed to perfect your skin, but I noticed no difference whatsoever and I have tried it more than once. 

frown.gif
I have yet to swatch the UD bb cream. is it really that bad? I love the naked foundation and was hoping it'd work for me as well. what issues did you encounter with the bb cream?
I have several issues with it, but I'm also new to BB creams, so anyone feel free to correct me if something I critique is standard for BB's:

-It's so runny! I thought it would be thick for all the wonderful things it's supposed to do.

-It sets REALLY quickly.  I have to be fast to spread it around before it dries up on me

-It doesn't provide any coverage that I can see.  

-It hasn't improved my skin.

I've used it 3x now with with no visible results.  So for me, it doesn't have any of the benefits that I've seen advertised for BB's.  However, I just got a sample of the Maybelline BB cream in the mail today, I'll try it soon and report back if there's anything that's different!  

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have several issues with it, but I'm also new to BB creams, so anyone feel free to correct me if something I critique is standard for BB's:

-It's so runny! I thought it would be thick for all the wonderful things it's supposed to do.

-It sets REALLY quickly.  I have to be fast to spread it around before it dries up on me

I've used it 3x now with with no visible results.  So for me, it doesn't have any of the benefits that I've seen advertised for BB's.  However, I just got a sample of the Maybelline BB cream in the mail today, I'll try it soon and report back if there's anything that's different!  
I agree with everything you said about it ^^. Also, I've tried the Maybelline BB cream and it does have more coverage than the UD one, BUT if you want bb creams, the best ones are the asian ones :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have several issues with it, but I'm also new to BB creams, so anyone feel free to correct me if something I critique is standard for BB's: -It's so runny! I thought it would be thick for all the wonderful things it's supposed to do. -It sets REALLY quickly.  I have to be fast to spread it around before it dries up on me -It doesn't provide any coverage that I can see.   -It hasn't improved my skin. I've used it 3x now with with no visible results.  So for me, it doesn't have any of the benefits that I've seen advertised for BB's.  However, I just got a sample of the Maybelline BB cream in the mail today, I'll try it soon and report back if there's anything that's different!  
On me, the color of the UD bb cream looked orangey. I only tried it the one time though.

I have a totally opposite opinion. I LOVE the UD BB cream. I didn't get the sample in my Ipsy bag but I did get one with an UD order and I totally and completely fell in love. I have fairly normal skin, not much acne, not too dry/oily but I am cursed with the dreaded "natural blush" (aka red cheeks that never fully cover up). I tried it out and at first glance it did nothing for me. Left the bathroom but came back a few minutes later because I'd forgotten something and looked in the mirror and was floored. My skin looked amazing. Even toned, glowing, fresh. I've been using it daily for 2 weeks and my skin has never looked better. I'm even on my period right now and usually get a small breakout during this time of the month. This month? nothing. 

Different BB creams will work for different people but I seriously adore my UD BB cream. I ordered the full size right away and haven't even bothered ordering new foundation. I don't need it with this! A little powder to finish off and I'm set :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And I'm also light skinned with a bit of a pink undertone and the UD BB cream color works super well on me. I was skeptical when I saw it come out of the tube for the first time but it totally surprised me. 

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That UD balm is terrible, so I hope we don't get that again, but I would love a bag like that! And I wanted a bun donut forever, though I just chopped my hair off a couple of weeks ago...still wouldn't mind one for whenever I grow it back
smile.gif

frown.gif

Provides literally zero coverage, gave me a slight orange tint, did absolutely nothing to "perfect"...I honestly think of it more as a lackluster primer than anything approaching a BB cream.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with everything you said about it ^^. Also, I've tried the Maybelline BB cream and it does have more coverage than the UD one, BUT if you want bb creams, the best ones are the asian ones :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Garnier one has more coverage than the Maybelline, but the Asian ones are by far the way to go. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I like Missha best, and I'm currently trying out several of the Skin79 ones...just bought a Clearing one by Holika Holika, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The product that converted me to using BB cream (and I say this as someone who wore foundation *maybe* a total of ten times in over forty years, so this wasn't a matter of switching products.  This was a matter of using something I had refused to wear for my entire life) was the Missha (in #21, which I was sure would be too dark but that is pretty much perfect) that Glossybox sent out in one of their boxes last year.  I'm pale but ruddy, and this stuff just smooths everything out.  Love it.  Still working on my first tube (I think it's lasted me three months so far, and there's probably enough to last me another month or maybe even two), but I've got a second stashed away, and by the time I'm done with that one, the new Pretty and Cute store should be open about a mile down the road from me, so I can buy it live and in-person.  Because what I really need is an Asian makeup store nearby (I will need to move my bathroom into a TARDIS).

Anyway.  February's bag.  I'm very specifically not thinking in terms of Valentine's Day (neuroses and anxiety like *whoa* about that over here), so my picks would look a little like this:

• Lip scrub (it's winter, and even my lips -- constantly under layers of balm -- have started getting flaky) 
  • Lip stain (prep with the scrub, color with the stain!)
  • Brightly-colored bobby pins (I didn't realize growing out pixie cuts -- what I'm doing now just because fifteen years of frequent haircuts has burned me out on them -- was A Thing right now until this week when I saw some blog post about what to do when you're doing this!  My hair grew an inch in a month, so it grows insanely quickly, but it's still not long enough to do anything with other than pin it back, especially since -- much to my dismay -- I now have *bangs*.  I hate bangs and am pinning them back until I no longer have them.  Bobby pins would be usable by many more subscribers than a hair bun, which could really only be used by people with long hair)
  • Eye color (pencil, shadow, shadow pencil, cream -- just not liquid liner) in emerald green or cobalt blue (the green for the aforementioned Pantone reasons, the blue because that's apparently a Big Thing for this spring)
  • Tweezers (because it seems like they might as well send another tool, but they just sent a brush, so why not tweezers?)

Of course, no mascara, black/brown eye liner, or lip gloss!  Unless we're talking about Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime.  That would rock.  But it's not really a *gloss* (and I find it impossible to believe that they would place this stuff with a subscription service, but that's a whole separate issue), so I would be fine with it on the off chance it showed up, at least if it was in Anime.  I'm planning on buying that one eventually.  Pink lips visible from space!  Yes!  I would love a high-gloss hot pink vinyl bag.  I actually have a pair of hot pink patent leather tall Doc Martens (yes, I have hot pink patent leather combat boots) that would be the perfect color and shininess.

I would actually love to see something we don't even know exists, like powdered lip color (I got some many years ago and absolutely adored it, but it was apparently a short-lived product because I remember buying it, trying it, loving it, and then not being able to find it to buy in other colors after that).  I'm anti-blush (my natural color is such that I look like a clown prostitute whenever I wear it.  Not even MAC artists bother trying it on me), so I'm actively hoping against that.  Aaand I had a couple more ideas, but I can't remember them, and I had a really hard day, so I think it's time to call it a night and go to bed now.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The product that converted me to using BB cream (and I say this as someone who wore foundation *maybe* a total of ten times in over forty years, so this wasn't a matter of switching products.  This was a matter of using something I had refused to wear for my entire life) was the Missha (in #21, which I was sure would be too dark but that is pretty much perfect) that Glossybox sent out in one of their boxes last year.  I'm pale but ruddy, and this stuff just smooths everything out.  Love it.  Still working on my first tube (I think it's lasted me three months so far, and there's probably enough to last me another month or maybe even two), but I've got a second stashed away, and by the time I'm done with that one, the new Pretty and Cute store should be open about a mile down the road from me, so I can buy it live and in-person.  Because what I really need is an Asian makeup store nearby (I will need to move my bathroom into a TARDIS).
My Missha tube usually lasts about 6 months for me and I use it nearly everyday. I always buy on Amazon for less than $20 and they ship straight from Korea, wait time is around 2 weeks but that's not too bad.

P.S. Who's your favorite Doctor and companion? Mine's 11 and Donna.

Originally Posted by o0jeany0o /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Missha tube usually lasts about 6 months for me and I use it nearly everyday. I always buy on Amazon for less than $20 and they ship straight from Korea, wait time is around 2 weeks but that's not too bad.

P.S. Who's your favorite Doctor and companion? Mine's 11 and Donna.
Ok, I'm torn now between trying Missha and Skin79.  Has anyone tried both?  What were the differences, that you could tell?  I have skin like meaganola, pale, but with very pink/red undertones.  There is absolutely no chance of an Asian skin store opening anywhere near me (sigh. rural.) so which one is easier to order online?

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  •  I actually have a pair of hot pink patent leather tall Doc Martens (yes, I have hot pink patent leather combat boots) that would be the perfect color and shininess.
You're my hero.  Just for that.

Ok, I'm torn now between trying Missha and Skin79.  Has anyone tried both?  What were the differences, that you could tell?  I have skin like meaganola, pale, but with very pink/red undertones.  There is absolutely no chance of an Asian skin store opening anywhere near me (sigh. rural.) so which one is easier to order online?
I think Missha is good for pink/red undertones. It provides very good coverage. Skin79 has a few different BB creams to choose from. I don't think you can go wrong with the Hot Pink one - good coverage and easy to apply! It seems like most people really like that one (from what I've read online). The VIP Gold one provides more coverage and is a bit lighter than the hot pink one. It's also thicker so you'll see that in the application.

I've tried tons of the Korean brands (Missha, Skin79, Skin Food, Holika Holika, Lioele, Dr. Jart, BRTC, The Face Shop, Innisfree, Etude House, etc etc) in the last few years. My absolute favorite is the BRTC Jasmine Water BB Cream!!! It provides great coverage, smells soooo good, and makes my skin look flawless! It took a little while to find the right one for my skin but it was worth all the trial and error! I think Missha and Skin79 are good brands to start with (I primarily used the hot pink Skin79 BB cream for about a year before finding the BRTC one)!

So many great ideas here!  I'd like to see:

• A lip scrub
  • A sheet mask, clay mask or a mud mask
  • Bath salts or a bath bomb
  • Lashes or maybe an eyelash curler
  • Some sort of brow product...I don't remember seeing them do this yet?  [EDIT: Ohhh, right, the empty Chella tube.  No wonder I forgot]

Basically I want some good pampering stuff for pre-date prep and then some final touches that take your look from everyday to extra special.  

If they do chocolate again, I hope it's dark chocolate and salted.  YUM.  

I have not tried both, but I have very fair skin with serious rosacea (bright red cheeks and chin) and the Missha works for me.  It goes on really gray and weird but evens out as it oxidizes.  I get a little pooling/unevenness by the end of the day though, so I prefer a regular long wearing foundation like MAC studio fix over a BB cream since my red is so intense and I work long hours.  

Back