(SPOILERS) Ipsy February 2013!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have several issues with it, but I'm also new to BB creams, so anyone feel free to correct me if something I critique is standard for BB's:

-It's so runny! I thought it would be thick for all the wonderful things it's supposed to do.

-It sets REALLY quickly.  I have to be fast to spread it around before it dries up on me

-It doesn't provide any coverage that I can see.  

-It hasn't improved my skin.

I've used it 3x now with with no visible results.  So for me, it doesn't have any of the benefits that I've seen advertised for BB's.  However, I just got a sample of the Maybelline BB cream in the mail today, I'll try it soon and report back if there's anything that's different!  
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-In-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector:  This is my HG foundation.  I have hated everything else I tried - my skin can still breath with this.

I have several issues with it, but I'm also new to BB creams, so anyone feel free to correct me if something I critique is standard for BB's:

-It's so runny! I thought it would be thick for all the wonderful things it's supposed to do.

-It sets REALLY quickly.  I have to be fast to spread it around before it dries up on me

-It doesn't provide any coverage that I can see.  

-It hasn't improved my skin.

I've used it 3x now with with no visible results.  So for me, it doesn't have any of the benefits that I've seen advertised for BB's.  However, I just got a sample of the Maybelline BB cream in the mail today, I'll try it soon and report back if there's anything that's different!  
Um, that's probably because you're not using a "real" BB creme. Sorry to sound elitist and persnickety (which probably a lot of people who use Asian BB cremes do, but it's true), but what "real" BB cremes are are completely different than what the western market has manufactured (psst: a tinted moisturizer).

I use Missha BB cremes and it: 1) is super thick and covering 2) dries kind of slowly (which is annoying) but makes your skin look close to flawless after it sets, and 3) is not watery and runny at all.

Also, I'm not really sure what visible results you expected to see after 3 uses? What kind of effects do you see from beauty products in general after 3 uses? This isn't Crest Whitestrips.

Originally Posted by lauradiniwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have not tried both, but I have very fair skin with serious rosacea (bright red cheeks and chin) and the Missha works for me.  It goes on really gray and weird but evens out as it oxidizes.  I get a little pooling/unevenness by the end of the day though, so I prefer a regular long wearing foundation like MAC studio fix over a BB cream since my red is so intense and I work long hours.  
I love the Missha. At first I was terrified because you're right it does initially go on very gray and doesn't look like it matches your skin at all, but after a few minutes it sets in and looks airbrushed. I love it. My only  issue is that by mid day it tends to make me a little oily in my T zone (and I don't usually have oily skin) - but nothing some quick power or a blotting paper can't fix!

Thank you EVERYONE for your responses!  I think I'm gonna have to order some Missha soon!

Originally Posted by lauradiniwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have not tried both, but I have very fair skin with serious rosacea (bright red cheeks and chin) and the Missha works for me.  It goes on really gray and weird but evens out as it oxidizes.  I get a little pooling/unevenness by the end of the day though, so I prefer a regular long wearing foundation like MAC studio fix over a BB cream since my red is so intense and I work long hours.  
Thanks for letting me know about the gray fading, I probably would have put it on, seen the gray, and went NOPE, wash it off!  I don't have really red skin (although I practically glow when I blush!), so hopefully I'll be able to get away with just the BB Cream

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-In-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector:  This is my HG foundation.  I have hated everything else I tried - my skin can still breath with this.
Sweet!  Thanks!  Now I'm stoked to try it!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Um, that's probably because you're not using a "real" BB creme. Sorry to sound elitist and persnickety (which probably a lot of people who use Asian BB cremes do, but it's true), but what "real" BB cremes are are completely different than what the western market has manufactured (psst: a tinted moisturizer).

I use Missha BB cremes and it: 1) is super thick and covering 2) dries kind of slowly (which is annoying) but makes your skin look close to flawless after it sets, and 3) is not watery and runny at all.

Also, I'm not really sure what visible results you expected to see after 3 uses? What kind of effects do you see from beauty products in general after 3 uses? This isn't Crest Whitestrips.
You're right, I'm a relative newbie to "upscale" makeup, so I wouldn't know a "real" BB cream if my life depended on it.  Hopefully, it never comes to that. 
wink.gif
  I've actually had several products that give me visible results after 3 uses, after all, to me that's the point of most of my sample subs... if something makes a visible, positive difference, I'm much more likely to buy a full size.  The Josie Maran Argan Oil (Ipsy/Jan), Laura Mercier Face Polish (It Kit/Dec), and Juice Beauty Moisturizer (Citrus Lane/Nov) are all products that gave me visible, measurable results after 3 uses or less.  I wasn't expecting a miracle, but a basic "hey, my skin feels kind of better even after washing this stuff off" is what I'm looking for, and didn't get with the UD BB.  And if that makes me elitist and persnickety as well, so be it!

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too, although now I REALLY want to try Missha.  But the Maybelline is nice.  My biggest complaint with others that I've tried (Garnier, Dr Jarts, and Boscia) is that my face felt so oily and gross-shiny.  Maybelline isn't like that at all.

So where can I buy this Missha without worrying about being sent a fake product? I just can't bring myself to buy beauty products from Amazon. Too many horror stories!

Thank you EVERYONE for your responses!  I think I'm gonna have to order some Missha soon!

Thanks for letting me know about the gray fading, I probably would have put it on, seen the gray, and went NOPE, wash it off!  I don't have really red skin (although I practically glow when I blush!), so hopefully I'll be able to get away with just the BB Cream

Sweet!  Thanks!  Now I'm stoked to try it!

You're right, I'm a relative newbie to "upscale" makeup, so I wouldn't know a "real" BB cream if my life depended on it.  Hopefully, it never comes to that. 
wink.gif
  I've actually had several products that give me visible results after 3 uses, after all, to me that's the point of most of my sample subs... if something makes a visible, positive difference, I'm much more likely to buy a full size.  The Josie Maran Argan Oil (Ipsy/Jan), Laura Mercier Face Polish (It Kit/Dec), and Juice Beauty Moisturizer (Citrus Lane/Nov) are all products that gave me visible, measurable results after 3 uses or less.  I wasn't expecting a miracle, but a basic "hey, my skin feels kind of better even after washing this stuff off" is what I'm looking for, and didn't get with the UD BB.  And if that makes me elitist and persnickety as well, so be it!
I have used products that I had noticed a difference the next day. It wasn't Crest Whitestrips either. With them I noticed no difference! lol

Originally Posted by puppyluv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where can I buy this Missha without worrying about being sent a fake product? I just can't bring myself to buy beauty products from Amazon. Too many horror stories!
http://misshaus.com <-- official product site

You can try subscribing to their ML but it took me 4 tries to actually get anything from them. They occassionally will have awesome sales with like 40-50% off their products.

1) Finally resubscribing to Ipsy/ MyGlam- I cancelled pretty much right before the bags started getting awesome (of course). Anyone have any idea how long the wait list is/ what my chances of getting a February bag look like?

2) BB Cream- I LOVE the L'oreal Youth Code bb cream. It is a lot thicker than the other American bb's I've tried, and it has actually improved my skin- I've had less breakouts for sure since I've started using it. It's great on it's own for light/ medium coverage, but it also works really well as a primer. Just my two cents!

I have loved everything I've gotten from The Balm in my subs so far (Matt Batali, Hot Mama, Mary-Lou Manizer).  I will happily take ANYTHING from The Balm! I should probably throw some money their way soon and make a big girl purchase, lol.
me too! I wear Mary-Lou Manizer every day as a highlighter and as an eyeshadow with Matt Batali in the crease. I already bought a full size Mary-Lou Manizer and I'm going to have to get the Meet Matt(e) palette because that color is my HG crease color. 

More The Balm please!!!

Ok, I'm torn now between trying Missha and Skin79.  Has anyone tried both?  What were the differences, that you could tell?  I have skin like meaganola, pale, but with very pink/red undertones.  There is absolutely no chance of an Asian skin store opening anywhere near me (sigh. rural.) so which one is easier to order online?

You're my hero.  Just for that.
I haven't used both, but I really like the Skin79 Super+ Gold. It's pretty thick in consistency and gives a medium coverage.  I have very fair skin with a pink undertone. 

I ordered direct from Skin79 

Ok, I'm torn now between trying Missha and Skin79.  Has anyone tried both?  What were the differences, that you could tell?  I have skin like meaganola, pale, but with very pink/red undertones.  There is absolutely no chance of an Asian skin store opening anywhere near me (sigh. rural.) so which one is easier to order online?
From what I've read, Missha has more colour options, but if you're pale, then it shouldn't really matter. Asian BB cremes are supposed oxidize to suit your skin tone, so they don't have to match 100% percent.

You can purchase SKIN79 online here: http://www.skin79northamerica.com/catalogue I'm not sure what their shipping options are, but Missha is FS at $40 + GWP

Originally Posted by kat46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

me too! I wear Mary-Lou Manizer every day as a highlighter and as an eyeshadow with Matt Batali in the crease. I already bought a full size Mary-Lou Manizer and I'm going to have to get the Meet Matt(e) palette because that color is my HG crease color. 

More The Balm please!!!

I love that as a crease color too.  It scared me at first because I was worried it would be too dark, but it's just the right amount of pigment to make a surprisingly natural looking crease that you can darken with another pass for a dramatic effect as well.  I picked up the palette when they did the half off promo, but I keep going for that color in it anyway.

I'm glad to see mattes on trend; I think it's great to pair them with shimmers for a fuller look, and these Balm mattes have been especially great.

*gasp* WHAT IF IPSY EVER SENT US A *GOOD* BB CREAM> IPSY I HOPE YOURE READING THIS! Lol

Has anyone who usually has allergies to make up tried the hypoallergenic missha BB cream?  I'm tempted, but I usually don't use any kind of foundation or anything since I tend to be allergic and because my skin is very clear and even usually.  It would be nice to have something for the rare days when it isn't, but I'm worried about shelling out so much money for something that might give me a rash.

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love that as a crease color too.  It scared me at first because I was worried it would be too dark, but it's just the right amount of pigment to make a surprisingly natural looking crease that you can darken with another pass for a dramatic effect as well.  I picked up the palette when they did the half off promo, but I keep going for that color in it anyway.

I'm glad to see mattes on trend; I think it's great to pair them with shimmers for a fuller look, and these Balm mattes have been especially great.
I was so bummed that I didn't have the funds to order when it was half price. 

I like layering it over other colors in the crease too. It's a very versatile color. It would be awesome if the sold them as singles.

I would try buying sample 2ml packs from ebay so you can see if you'll break out. it does cost money but it is better than wasting money on a full sized product that you react to. also it will help you see which shades fit you.

Has anyone who usually has allergies to make up tried the hypoallergenic missha BB cream?  I'm tempted, but I usually don't use any kind of foundation or anything since I tend to be allergic and because my skin is very clear and even usually.  It would be nice to have something for the rare days when it isn't, but I'm worried about shelling out so much money for something that might give me a rash.

Quote: Originally Posted by o0jeany0o /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Missha tube usually lasts about 6 months for me and I use it nearly everyday. I always buy on Amazon for less than $20 and they ship straight from Korea, wait time is around 2 weeks but that's not too bad.

P.S. Who's your favorite Doctor and companion? Mine's 11 and Donna.

I am very pale with pink undertones. My favorite is Missha M Perfect Cover, and I can wear both #13 and #21 (shades). It has the best coverage, IMO, and leaves my skin nice and even and smooth!

Skin79 is nice, too. I've used the hot pink, the pearl, and the lighter pink one so far...I like all of them decently. The pearl has a nice glow, but coverage is less. The hot pink is nice and probably my 2nd favorite BB after Missha. I have the little sample sized tubes of all the Skin79 varieties that I'm currently working through! I don't think any of them have as much coverage as Missha, but all feel nice on the skin.

Back