(Spoilers) Julep February 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my mystery boxes!  I ordered all three and all three boxes came in one big box.  They were all different sizes - smallest was the makeup, medium was mani and the largest was the pedi box.

Makeup box: Polishes - Lindy, Nan and America (
madno.gif
).  Makeup - eye shadow palette, matte primer and mascara.  Also came with the hand cream although I don't know how that's makeup related
icon_scratch.gif
.  I love the way Lindy looks and it's definitely in line with my taste so I'm really excited to try it.  I don't have Nan yet and I like the way it looks... America - just wait till I get to my mani box...  Like most girls I'm always in search of the holy grail of mascaras (I use Buxom right now) and have never tried Julep's and will give it a go, although I doubt it will meet my expectations.  Primer I will give a try as well.  The palette I'll gift or swap or something because I threw out the other one I got in another box since it arrived broken and I just wasn't impressed by it in general.

Mani box: Polishes - Venus, Bette, Madison, Ann, Freedom Top Coat and Americaaaaaaa (
icon_evil.gif
).  Hand cream, nail file and cuticle serum.  Venus looks kinda similar to the pink sparkle I got in the Diamond mystery box a while back... only missing the chunky pieces, but I still like it.  Aside from the wonderful America, the others weren't dupes for me so I was fine with them.  I don't mind getting the dupe hand cream because I've heard good things about it and I am excited to try the cuticle serum and top coat.

Pedi box: Polishes - Aphrodite, Karen and Claudette.  Pedi cream, foot shaver stick thingy and friction stick.  Both Karen and Claudette are dupes for me.. but I actually REALLY liked Claudette when I got it the first time and don't mind having a spare bottle on hand.  I'm happy for the foot cream and it's perfect timing because I just finished my tube that I had been using.  The friction stick I already have and haven't used yet since I've been using the cream.  And the black shaver thingy or whatever it is, I'll give a try but my feet are terribly ticklish.

General Consensus: I like most of what I got but aside from the featured polishes, I wasn't "wowed", which I feel like is something you should feel when you get mystery boxes.  Like others have stated, they always over do it on the value of their items which I think kind of gives it an even cheaper feel sometimes.  And *sigh* America... I now have three of that lovely lady between two of these boxes and another previous box.  I don't mind the color itself at all but boy did they over estimate on the number of bottles they needed to make.  I have had really good experiences with Julep's customer service in the past and wrote to them that while I understand from box to box as a subscriber and consistent mystery box buyer, I will receive dupes.. but I don't think it's fair when you encourage people to buy multiple boxes in one order and give a dupe polish in the same order.. that discourages people from buying multiples when you guys come out with bundles like this.  Let's see what their response will be.  And I know that for most, the other colors may have been dupes as well but even though I have bought EVERY box since I've subscribed, I've still had pretty good luck with receiving colors I don't have yet and am happy with the ones I got this time around.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vikki120306 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Got my mystery boxes!  I ordered all three and all three boxes came in one big box.  They were all different sizes - smallest was the makeup, medium was mani and the largest was the pedi box.
This is a great post! Thanks for taking the time to post all this!

Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Seriously irritated with Julep. 

I got three packages from them today. One was my February box, which they originally messed up & sent me only Love + my add on and not my It Girl Polishes. The other two were my BEMINE promo orders. The first one was Betty & Rosa...instead they sent me Rosa & a lip gloss called Surprise. The second one was Joelle & Shoshanna...instead they sent me two Joelles. 

It wouldn't be quite as bad if it didn't already take 12 days to get to me.
WOW, I would be livid. That is way ridiculous!  Hopefully you don't have to 4 days for a response from them!

Quote: Originally Posted by ElizabethStreet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow those colors are not even remotely Valentine's-like. If they market the box as a Valentine box and then show us one of the colors that will be in there and they all follow this theme, then I think any reasonable customer would assume the colors they would receive would be along the same vein. GRRR Julep, you are training your loyal Mavens to not trust you! Why don't they see that?
Same thing happened last year.  They sent a bunch of browns and fall colors.  I think that was the first box after they raised the price too.  Between that, and my diamond mystery box that was missing the diamond polishes (which they were sold out of) I really don't forsee myself ever ordering a mystery box again.  They just seem to prove time and time again that they are not worth it for anyone who has been a maven for more than a few months.

Hey everyone I tried to order America with an order not too long ago but there was an error and my order would not go through so if any of you have paypal I could pay for shipping if you wanted to get rid of an America hehe. Worth a shot ETA: Got a couple responses thank you!!

America would make a good manicure right now during the Olympics!

I just got my BEMINE orders and I am super happy!  I was able to order multiple discounted polishes on each of my two accounts (their billing addresses and e-mail addresses are different), so I ended up with 14 spring appropriate polishes for $24!  Now that is what I call a bargain!

Okay - so this might make me seem crazy but I did this out of pure curiosity and I wanted to know just how much value I'm getting in these boxes.  I went to the site and took prices from all the items in each box, both regular prices and Maven/sale prices and calculated what each box would be worth.  The only items I estimated on was the hand cream (because it's not a full size) which I guess at around $5 and the nail file which I was generous on with $2.  So my calculations may be off a dollar or two with the boxes containing those two items.  Everything else is exactly how they have it on their site.

Makeup box: Regular - $118.67, Maven/sale - $72.30

Mani box: Regular - $110.67, Maven/sale - $80.72

Pedi box: Regular - $90.00, Maven/sale - $67.58

Sooo... although the regular pricing (which I'm sure they will tell you is what they go by) it's a wonderful deal.. but with Maven/sale pricing which is what I would be paying the only box that meets their value is the Mani box.  Now if you took it a step further and did the sale prices for the polishes in with the regulars (I just used all regular prices for regular value) since even non Maven's would get sale prices for polishes on sale... the value of the regular comes down a little more as well.  Hope that doesn't sound confusing.

From a Maven aspect it's a little disappointing.. but still not enough for me to learn my lesson, lol.  For now, I'm still addicted to Juelp and haven't reached that "burnt out" stage that some of you are at just yet.

Seriously irritated with Julep.  I got three packages from them today. One was my February box, which they originally messed up & sent me only Love + my add on and not my It Girl Polishes. The other two were my BEMINE promo orders. The first one was Betty & Rosa...instead they sent me Rosa & a lip gloss called Surprise. The second one was Joelle & Shoshanna...instead they sent me two Joelles.  It wouldn't be quite as bad if it didn't already take 12 days to get to me.
Looks like Mercury Retrograde is in full swing (February 6th to February 28th). Expect a lot more incidents like this.

Just to follow up - Julep wrote back to me and said the Americas were "bonuses" and not counted towards the value of the box.. If that's the case then the values I calculated before are even lower..

I haven't even gotten my box yet, but now that I know what all is in my pedi box, including the mystery add-on, I'm really disappointed and wish I hadn't ordered anything at all. I'm only going to have one nail color dupe and one product dupe from it all, but none of it is stuff that impresses me other than the box-exclusive polish. *sighs* Definitely going to wait around for spoilers next time a mystery box happens.

Thanks for doing all that work, Vikki!

I do agree with Ashley.  I got the mani box and the only thing I really loved was the Venus polish.  I will use everything but I think I expected more from a mystery box than I should have. 

I dont think I will do another Julep box until I see the spoilers first.

I opted not to get a mystery box and am kinda happy I did.  I still have a half off promo code from my first box and I'm not sure I'm gonna use it.  If I don't I'll post it here for someone else to snag.  It expires 2/28.  I'm a newer Julep collector but already have about 20 of their polishes, but lately I've been liking Zoya more.

I am wearing Judi today.  It's much darker than I thought it would be.  In dim light it looks almost black.  In sunlight it is a very pretty deep purple shade.  I do like the finish, with the freedom top coat it looks almost like a jelly.  Wear time is average - I put it on on Tuesday and just have some tip wear and 1 chip.  I want to pick up Octavia in the future, I don't have any polish similar to that shade!

Fiiiiiiiiinally got my Secret Store order that I placed on the 1st.  It took forever, but I'm very happy with the polishes I got - the Starlet's Glitter and Pretty Metal sets.

I haven't been with Julep long - do they tend to retire colors?  Wondering if I should pick up an extra of any color I especially love.

Quote: Originally Posted by Grau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Julep made it right after some horrid thief stole all of the polishes out of my box, but the special Love polish was not included because it is sold out! Very sad about this. I was really looking forward to doing my nails with this color. It looks gorgeous. Does anyone have an extra that they would be willing to swap for a coupon code of any polish of your choice? I really would like the Love polish!

Happy Valentine's Day, lovely ladies!
I am so sorry that happened.  I will be happy to swap you for Love.  DM me.  

I just checked my tracking for an order I placed on 02/06, the tracking states it just shipped and has a delivery date of 02/25-02/26. I think this is the longest I have ever had to wait for a Julep order. What's more, I had just placed an order on 02/03 (just 3 days before my current order) and that arrived a couple of days ago. Nothing was out of stock when I ordered it. What a shame, Julep used to ship so quickly. On another note I have been wearing Rooney all week and I really like it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've been happy with my February box, even though I haven't even tried the eye sheen yet.

I placed an order on 2/1 and another on 2/3. The tracking for both of them say that they are still in Auburn, WA. WTH, Julep! One of them was for my daughter's birthday next week. I'm beginning to wonder if it will get here in time.

I posted on their fb wall asking why they put America in 2 boxes when they specifically advertised that we should feel free to buy all three, because there wouldnt be dupes. I got this response:

Quote:  Hi Niki, we apologize about the duped America's that was a mistake on our part. We promise to be more clear with our advertising in the future as to not cause confusion. Again, our apologies, and we hope you have a great day

Lame, cop out response on their part that reeks of 'sorry, sucks to be you, oh well' to me. I would never have bothered to buy more than one if I had known they'd double up on products. America was in the december mystery box, too. It wasn't a matter of them "not being clear" -- it was a matter of them straight up advertising something that wasn't true. Crappy bait and switch tactic, imo.

Its just one polish, but the fact that they advertised 'no dupes' and then.. sent us dupes annoys the hell out of me.

Latest posts

Back