(Spoilers) Julep February 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by RedBadger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'll be seriously think about cancelling.  I signed up as a Maven the first week of January, so I won't be grandfathered into the skipping rules.  One of the main reasons I chose Julep over SquareHue was because of the option to skip months. I also like the abilty to change profiles each month, instead of the one-size-fits-all approach.

I think they should have given people one week from the date of the announcement to sign up as Mavens, then applied the new rule.  December 18th seems so arbitrary.
Squarehue has always given the option to skip.

I quit Julep over a year ago after canceling and getting billed two more times after that as well as being double charged twice.  When I called to witch about it, they gave me crap and said they wouldn't give me my $$ back even though I had canceled two months previously.  I initiated a chargeback and immediately got a call from them all apologies.  So for me, I despise Julep and it doesn't surprise me that they're doing this at all.

I think they just lost themselves a whole pile of customers.  That makes me want to point and laugh because I'm all mature like that.

I'll be seriously think about cancelling.  I signed up as a Maven the first week of January, so I won't be grandfathered into the skipping rules.  One of the main reasons I chose Julep over SquareHue was because of the option to skip months. I also like the abilty to change profiles each month, instead of the one-size-fits-all approach. I think they should have given people one week from the date of the announcement to sign up as Mavens, then applied the new rule.  December 18th seems so arbitrary.
Square Hue does allow you to skip. You don't know the colors before you decide, but you don't know them until boxes start showing up, either.

I joined on Dec 21 2013. I am absolutely cancelling, the skip option is a huge draw. On top of that, the way they disseminated this information is ridiculous. How is everyone else going to find out? It's not on their facebook page, I haven't received an email about this...It's just nestled in the middle of an announcement on the Julep blog? How ridiculous. 

Quote: Originally Posted by lint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I joined on Dec 21 2013. I am absolutely cancelling, the skip option is a huge draw. On top of that, the way they disseminated this information is ridiculous. How is everyone else going to find out? It's not on their facebook page, I haven't received an email about this...It's just nestled in the middle of an announcement on the Julep blog? How ridiculous. 
I'll warn up front:  Disjointed post ahead!  Proceed with caution!

My guess is that they're keeping the announcement low-key until tomorrow when they send out the selection window email, and then BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!  ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!  It's going to be particularly ugly tomorrow since many people will get the email on their day off when they have time to *blast* Julep.  Facebook is going to be a very nasty place once this information gets out.  No one there seems to have noticed this change yet, which seems bizarre unless they're hiding comments, which is probably more likely.  When the free-polish-when-you-don't-skip-three-boxes-in-a-row policy came out, I had a feeling they were trying to phase out skips by initially discouraging them via oh-look-bonus-goodie offers.  I've been a Maven since the very first day the program opened up, and it feels like they've grown too big and are trying to do too many different things, starting with nine (and that's not including things like LOVE and Betty!) different new colors each month.

One thing I find really bizarre unrelated to any of the pending policy changes:  The Facebook freakout over the lack of nail polish in the sneak peek.  There are people seriously thinking that there won't be any polish this month *at all*. 

As for the suggestion somewhere back in the thread that the poster hoped this was the first move towards a totally customizable box:  Ack!  I really, *really* hope not.  Assembling all-custom boxes would be so time-consuming that it doesn't really makes sense (and then there's the part where a lot of people would have Bondi flashbacks).  And looking at it from Julep's point of view, if you want one color from each of three boxes, well, they will be available for individual purchase after the Maven boxes go out.  You can make your own box that way.  The price will be higher, but a likely part of why they price the Maven boxes lower is so you are forced to get a color they wouldn't necessarily be able to move in the regular shop.  You're getting a discount in part because you're losing flexibility.

Anyway.  I just want to see the polishes now.  I'm really curious to see whether the eyeshadow colors make sense in terms of forming a cohesive collection with the polish colors.  The shadows seem like they would have worked better with the January collection, and I skipped January because I DID NOT LIKE those polish colors.  But at least if the polishes are along the same lines again, I can probably get all of the shadows and none of the polishes this time around even though I really, *really* have no business buying more eyeshadow for the rest of the year.

Just for giggles. I went to Julep's site and started a new quiz. No where does it say anything about skipping anymore. If course it doesn't say anything about earning skips either. Unless you go into the FAQ. I just think this is going to be bad. You are going to get a lot of cancellations with the policy.

I will try a box this month, I have been skipping a lot lately.  I like the fig eye sheen and the extra polish sounds pretty.  I hope the other colors are pretty.

I am glad I am already a maven. I hope the "grandmothered" in Mavens are not subject to the new skip policy.  They should not have back dated the policy change to December especially when the terms listed at sign up allowed skips.  That sucks.

That is not a good business practice at all.  I have been to business school so I understand the need to make money and all that.  But brand image, customer satisfaction, and reputation are just as important to the bottom line as profit margins.  I think Julep may eventually lose a lot customers. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  As for the suggestion somewhere back in the thread that the poster hoped this was the first move towards a totally customizable box:  Ack!  I really, *really* hope not.  Assembling all-custom boxes would be so time-consuming that it doesn't really makes sense (and then there's the part where a lot of people would have Bondi flashbacks).  And looking at it from Julep's point of view, if you want one color from each of three boxes, well, they will be available for individual purchase after the Maven boxes go out.  You can make your own box that way.  The price will be higher, but a likely part of why they price the Maven boxes lower is so you are forced to get a color they wouldn't necessarily be able to move in the regular shop.  You're getting a discount in part because you're losing flexibility.

I read through some of Julep's responses to people's questions on FB and this reply sounds like they are going towards the customizable box...

----

Julep Hi Monique, We value your opinion and thank you for sharing your thoughts. As we continue to grow the Maven program we want to make sure that we are never out of stock on the new product offerings coming to Maven. With that being said we are simplifying the skip feature for new Mavens but also adding additional improvements. Our goal is that you will be able to select the exact options that you want from our monthly product selections or "Core Classics" options. We are excited to announce what we have in store, more info to come soon!

-----

I'm all for it only if they have their stuff together and they don't crash and burn a la Bondi.  Time will tell!

Quote: Originally Posted by Hipster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read through some of Julep's responses to people's questions on FB and this reply sounds like they are going towards the customizable box...

----

Julep Hi Monique, We value your opinion and thank you for sharing your thoughts. As we continue to grow the Maven program we want to make sure that we are never out of stock on the new product offerings coming to Maven. With that being said we are simplifying the skip feature for new Mavens but also adding additional improvements. Our goal is that you will be able to select the exact options that you want from our monthly product selections or "Core Classics" options. We are excited to announce what we have in store, more info to come soon!

-----

I'm all for it only if they have their stuff together and they don't crash and burn a la Bondi.  Time will tell!
Except when they say "product," that may or may not include polish.  It may just mean the non-polish items.  I can't seem to find where on FB this is being discussed, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

But I don't think they will crash and burn like Bondi because I think that one was a scam from the very start that was never intended to go past December.  Julep's recent moves seem more like floundering-company-that-*wants*-to-succeed-trying-to-figure-out-how.  (And, yes, I mean "floundering" and not "foundering."  They could just be struggling instead of sinking completely.)

I can't imagine keeping this sub if I didn't have a skip option.  While it's true, as some people pointed out, that most subs don't have a skip option and this is something uniquely nice that Julep was doing, I would never keep a sub that is pretty much just polish where I could not skip... Unlike other subs where at least you are guaranteed to be exposed to new and diverse products, here it is pretty much just polish and a beauty item no one ends up loving. Only polish means dupes, and dupes means waste, and waste means cancel.

And I am NOT one of the subbers they hate who only took the first free box and shops the ridic sales... I have taken several monthly boxes since signing up less than a year ago, but definitely would never take 6 in a row given my huge polish collection and all their dupes.

I can't imagine keeping this sub if I didn't have a skip option.  While it's true, as some people pointed out, that most subs don't have a skip option and this is something uniquely nice that Julep was doing, I would never keep a sub that is pretty much just polish where I could not skip... Unlike other subs where at least you are guaranteed to be exposed to new and diverse products, here it is pretty much just polish and a beauty item no one ends up loving. Only polish means dupes, and dupes means waste, and waste means cancel. And I am NOT one of the subbers they hate who only took the first free box and shops the ridic sales... I have taken several monthly boxes since signing up less than a year ago, but definitely would never take 6 in a row given my huge polish collection and all their dupes.
There are people who do love the beauty item. I, for one, have several Julep products that aren't nail related that I love and use daily. I also take my box nearly every month and don't feel there are too many dupes. Maybe I'd I stuck with the same style, but I'm constantly switching it up.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Except when they say "product," that may or may not include polish.  It may just mean the non-polish items.  I can't seem to find where on FB this is being discussed, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

But I don't think they will crash and burn like Bondi because I think that one was a scam from the very start that was never intended to go past December.  Julep's recent moves seem more like floundering-company-that-*wants*-to-succeed-trying-to-figure-out-how.  (And, yes, I mean "floundering" and not "foundering."  They could just be struggling instead of sinking completely.)
The post I referenced was buried waaay down on their FB page, but it's there! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Now that I think about it, Julep practically does customizable boxes, since there are add-ons.  However they probably pack up all the preset profile boxes in advance and then toss in whatever else you ordered so it doesn't take that much longer.  But since they're doing that, it's probably not much of a stretch to do complete customization.  I'm sure it's more complicated logistically than it seems!

My feeling is that maybe they think they'll reduce the amount of skipping if they allow us to pick exactly what we want?   But then they cannot possibly have enough of one polish if every single maven picks that one. Maybe that's what they mean when they mentioned not wanting to run out of product with the new earned skip rule for new mavens.

Im the kind of person who loves more nail tools than I do nail polishes. For example, this box for January that included the cuticle oil, the nail drops, and gel cuticle remover was the first box I picked up in a long time. I guess Im more into the mechanics of nail art rather than just colors. I think unless they start offering more boxes like that for me I dont think Ill ever take a box and that is my main problem. I just cannot see myself spending 20 dollars a month on nail polish especially from julep. Julep in my mind mind is quality but if I had to choose between formula x/opi/julep, julep would lose every time. 

Quote: Originally Posted by cari12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are people who do love the beauty item. I, for one, have several Julep products that aren't nail related that I love and use daily. I also take my box nearly every month and don't feel there are too many dupes. Maybe I'd I stuck with the same style, but I'm constantly switching it up.
I do think you are in the extreme minority if you love several of their beauty products, but I am glad so many of them work for you!

As for the dupes, it is not just that they dupe their own colors or come close (which does sometimes happen) but it is also that if you have a polish collection that is substantial or even moderate, it is very likely that some of their colors each month closely approximate colors you already have from a different brand.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do think you are in the extreme minority if you love several of their beauty products, but I am glad so many of them work for you!

As for the dupes, it is not just that they dupe their own colors or come close (which does sometimes happen) but it is also that if you have a polish collection that is substantial or even moderate, it is very likely that some of their colors each month closely approximate colors you already have from a different brand.

Maybe. I've seen many raves for their non-polish products though. The Matte face primer and bare face oil are two that come to mind. I don't think it is necessary fair to say that no one likes them, they may not be the top of the industry or anything but I'm not the only one they work for. 

And I don't really have a problem with Julep colors duping my Zoyas or any other non-Julep brand (though to be fair about 150 of my 200 polishes ARE Julep, lol!) but again, that's just me. Again, probably in the "Extreme" minority ;-)

Seriously though, don't mind me. Promise I'm not getting defensive. Just a little overly excited about my team going to the Super Bowl and mayyyybeee a bit tipsy still ;-) I'm off to paint my nails some Seahawks colors and heading to bed so I can wake up to the new window! So excited to see the colors for this month :-D

I am kind of amazed by how happy I have been with Julep products so far. The non-polish products that I've gotten since signing up:

Small tote: Small and useless.

Rock Star lotion: A little strong-scented for me, but I do like it.

Cuticle oil rollerball: I enjoy using this but probably won't replace it when it's gone. It's basically a convenient delivery system for fancy-smelling cuticles.

Mattefying primer: I have drier skin so it's not useful to me in the winter. I definitely prefer it over any other facial primer I've sampled.

Vanish: Haven't tested the stain-removing, but it worked great on my cuticles. If the stain-removing works, I will use the whole bottle.

Eyeliner: Totally decent, no complaints. Worth noting that I've gotten compliments on my eyeliner every time I've worn this.

Lip gloss (Timeless color): Like the color, like the smell, will use all of this.

Crystal nail file: A+ It's all I use now.

Paris lipstick trio: So bummed that this is gone! Love the colors, love the smell!

Ta-Da drops: Love! I use them every time I paint my nails.

Luxe repair serum: LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I didn't even want this in the first place but it came in the intro box. I use it at least once every single day and my face loves it!

Point being, I don't think @tulosai is in the extreme minority. I'm under the impression that the products have been generally well-received.

(Hi! This is my first post on MUT, but I've been lurking for months. I've already learned so much from y'all: thanks! it was mostly this thread that led me to subscribe to Julep, last month, my first and only subscription thus far). 

And, when did I subscribe? ON December 18th. I am really annoyed. I have been REALLY pleased with Julep so far: I had several issues with my first order (missing product, a bottle that literally broke apart in my hand as I opened it, and another that looks like it may do the same any day), and they have really gone above and beyond with rectifying the issues. But, I'm so disappointed with this decision.

I completely understand their choice to change the terms. I am not sure that the payoff will outweigh the hit it's going to cause them, but, if they can survive it, I do get it. I could even understand if--with better warning (funny how they can send 49 email msgs to announce anything they want  to sell, but, this, they hide in a blog post that I'd have never seen, had it not been posted here, like, 23 minutes before it's to take place?!)--they chose to change it for everyone, or if they made the grand"mother"ed date something logical. But, the completely random date?

Yes, obviously I'd be a lot less bothered if it weren't the date that affected me, personally, and at such a "so close" frustration level, but,  regardless, it makes no sense to me that they'd choose THAT date. Why wouldn't they, at least, choose a day that was a cutoff for people who were eligible to select their first box? (I.e., if you ordered your starter box on or after Dec. [whatever day it actually is], you then missed the window for the January selection window. (I still think it would have been a better move, customer-service-wise, for them to just suck up the extra month's worth of new subs, who surely were looking forward to their first selection period for February--having, afterall, subscribed under different terms--and just applied this to new subscribers--but at least there would have been some rhyme and reason to what they were doing). 

I'm actually wondering if that WAS what they were intending, and they just screwed it up by a day or two? Because, I actually hadn't been sure whether I'd get the opportunity to select a January box, having ordered my starter box on the 18th, but, sure 'nough, they had no problem offering me the "opportunity" to spend 19.99 on another box two days later and taking my money; I would guess, though, that, had I signed up on the 19th or, at the latest, 20th, I'd have missed being "invited" for the January selection. Perhaps that was the intention of that cut-off for the grandfathering, and either they erred on the date (or erred in offering me the box?)?

Either way, I sure hope they will reconsider this cutoff date for me and others affected: I have already spent an embarrassing amount on them in the past month (!!!), and I have been pleasantly surprised by their CS so far (my original email to them re: problems with my products was sent during the time when  they were completely overwhelmed with holiday stuff, and it took them well over a week to get back to me, but, after seeing how nasty people were on Facebook, I decided just to wait it out as I was in no rush for the holidays, and, if I didn't hear back within another week or so, try again. Once I finally  got my first response, they not only were very helpful, immediately trying to correct everything with both replacements and refunds, but, when I missed seeing one of their messages--offering me a choice of some free polishes because some of those affected were no longer in stock--and didn't reply, they actually emailed me again to see what colors I wanted so they could send them out! Seriously, I was SO impressed.

And, right now, I'm new enough that I'll probably still want my monthly box, but I also likely wouldn't have subscribed without the reassurance that I have the option NOT to, if I don't want it, and I still would like to stick around long enough to try a mystery box, etc., and, simply from a reward-good-practices POV, I'd like to stay just because I'm impressed with how they handled their errors with my package. Otoh, I am NOT impressed with how THIS is being handled (hidden blog post with "oh, btw, we're making a massive change to our subscription policy, which you may pick up on if you read this post carefully, and we're applying it to those who subscribed after a totally random date), which I do NOT want to reward with my continued membership, ya know? I guess I'll see how they respond to my email... and, I'd imagine, many others. I hope they'll change it to only affect new subs, but, at the least, I hope they'll, at least, change the date to one that at least makes a modicum of sense.

I enjoy the beauty items, and in general have enjoyed seeing them integrated into the boxes. 

The beauty items have been very hit or miss with me. I found the eye liner to be so hard that it pulls my eyelids so I refuse to use it. The lip glosses are just okay. I own two, charming and daring. I have other lip glosses that are much better, but these are okay. The tada drops are useless to me. I find they do nothing to decrease drying time. I will never use them beyond the couple times I have tried them and will probably end up throwing them away. I do like the vanishing drops. I think they work great. I have only used the cuticle pusher once, and I don't think I like it. I have other cuticle pushers I like much better, but I like to try things a couple/few times before I pass "final" judgement. I have the eye shadows and have never even swatched them. Maybe I will do that today and wear them and see what I think.

I am finally taking a box, but I want two of them! What to do? Usually I cannot find one, but I so adore the cleansing oil and the polishes!

Latest posts

Back