Starlooks February 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So while we patiently wait for our February boxes & look forward to these mystery items in the march boxes, here's your question. If you were curating a Starlooks box with your name on it, what 3-4 products would you choose? Mine would be: 1. A gem/diamond line pencil - myth is my favorite, (black, but not black) but I'd love to try Roseate 2. A brush - Super Shader eye shadow brush 3. A tender gloss - Angel or Cherub

Oh Man. So I just opened my email and there was an email from Starlooks Shipping and I totally was excited thinking that they must have shipped early or something. I click on the tracking link and it was for my birthday box that I received on FEB 3! Way to get my hopes up Starlooks.

As for what a Kelli signature box would have, if I was choosing based on items I already have and love (even discontinued items...) I'd say the HD Fluid Blush in Barbie, the Sculpt and Blush 906 Brush, the cream blush in Emphasize and  the Lip Gloss in Pink Oasis. (I seem like such a blush addict, but I seriously only wear these two blushes and one Ulta one. That's. It.)

If I were curating a box of just anything it would be hard to choose lol.  I think I would pick items that were really vivid, which is how my own tastes sway, yet I'd want to give the pieces for an entire look, so I don't know... I think I'd pick:

-Pigment in Regal OR C Note (I am loving all my indie loose shadows lately, so I'd have to include some pigments)

-Blush in Rhone (I haven't tried their powdered blush yet, but love the HD Fluid and Cream ones, so I'm sure they are nice)

-Lip Gloss in Ball Gown (I used to not be a huge gloss fan, but started liking them more after receiving a Starlooks one!)

-Medium Dome Fluff Brush (the sculpt and blush one is AMAZING so I would have to include some kind of brush!)

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Now if it were someone like Kandee Johnson or That's Heart or even Emily from Beauty Broadcast then I could see why they would work with that vlogger since she'll bring in traffic to them (which is why I'm guessing they work with Ipsy and other subscription boxes) but someone with "only" 74,000 subscribers may not be able to pull in the new subscribers. If that makes sense to anyone else other than me. lol

It makes total sense, but I honestly have noticed that Starlooks is pretty loyal to its subscribers (in the form of birthday boxes, referral boxes, and now their loyalty gifts).  I think they choose vloggers who have brought in a good number of subscribers.  Even though it might make more fiscal sense to have the more popular vloggers curate a box, I think they leave that honor to current subscribers.  Personally, I find it lovely, even if I don't care much about her signature being on the products.

If I was curating a box...

angle blush & powder brush

Kir Royale Blush

Thong Lip Gloss

extra (as it is inexpensive!!) All Natural Lip Sugar

Hmm...  I would want a four-item box.

• Bellini cream blush (I prefer the formula of the cream blush we received in... July, I think, over the HD Fluid blush, but I love the *shade* of the Fluid blush from the Lauren Conrad special box, so I'm splitting the difference here even though I haven't tried the Bellini cream blush)
  • Greenback (or another darkish shimmery green.  I would definitely want to swatch these in real life before choosing!) loose pigment (I'm finding I prefer loose pigments to pressed shadows, which is good considering my OMG SO MANY COLORS Glamour Doll Eyes collection) 
  • Medium dome fluff brush (it's my favorite for applying pigments, and a lot of people are intimidated by how to apply loose pigment, so I would definitely want to include my favorite tool for them!)
  • A Tendergloss, most likely either Beaux or Sugar Lips (more swatching -- to make sure they go with the blush and shadow -- needed here)

I would love to swap the Tendergloss for a slightly shimmery deep purple eyeliner pencil because I love the combination of green shadow with purple liner, and it would have to be *pencil* for me, but it doesn't look like they have one dark enough for my purpose.  And I'm not sure the purple would really work with the coral blush.  If I had to stick with a three-item box, I would drop the Tendergloss.  The blush and the eyeshadow are key to my theme!  Or the brush, even though I love it, since it *was* sent in the January 2013 box, and I'm not sure that they would send out the same tool twice.  Maybe the dome blending brush instead.  The short but fluffy bristles are key here!

The extra:  In my dream world, the extra would be a sample of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume oil, although I'm not sure which *one* I would pick.  Maybe a variety, so there would be five or six different scents, but everyone would only get *one* out of the assortment sent out:  Maybe Dragon's Milk, Snake Oil, Voodoo Lily, Morocco, Bewitched, Dorian, and Tamora.  Okay, seven.  Or maybe even more.  There are just so many I'm having problems narrowing it down, plus, practically speaking, the volume of samples needed would probably mean that there would be a limit to how many of one scent could be sent out anyway.  But it would be a carefully curated selection of spring-y scents, although none would be straight-up florals except Voodoo Lily, except for the part where that one isn't really what anyone would think of as floral (it goes wonderfully spicy cola on me!).  Or maybe a sample of clear eyeshadow primer because you kind of *need* a base for loose pigments.  And this would be a February box, so it would arrive in time for March wear, which is kind of key to my concept for the box as well.

And my Looksbook would pair the green shadow with various liners, especially brown to mimic the forest (brown dirt/tree trunks, green leaves/plants) and purple (because Batman.  And also because violets).  It would shoot in the woods.  The theme would be Sleeping Beauty, as in the world waking up from winter's hibernation, although this time around, she would be waking up of her own accord because this sleeping and waiting for a dude to save her thing is *bullshit* (I think that might be why I love _Alice in Wonderland_ so much.  It's not about being saved by some guy!).  The green would represent all of the flowers that start peeking out from the soil for the first sign of spring, and the coral would be in there because peaches and corals are my spring blush colors. (Yes, I love the springtime even if my allergies go absolutely bonkers!) 

Um.  I may or may not have overthought this.  Now I feel like making up my fantasy summer box!

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Now if it were someone like Kandee Johnson or That's Heart or even Emily from Beauty Broadcast then I could see why they would work with that vlogger since she'll bring in traffic to them (which is why I'm guessing they work with Ipsy and other subscription boxes) but someone with "only" 74,000 subscribers may not be able to pull in the new subscribers. If that makes sense to anyone else other than me. lol

It makes total sense, but I honestly have noticed that Starlooks is pretty loyal to its subscribers (in the form of birthday boxes, referral boxes, and now their loyalty gifts).  I think they choose vloggers who have brought in a good number of subscribers.  Even though it might make more fiscal sense to have the more popular vloggers curate a box, I think they leave that honor to current subscribers.  Personally, I find it lovely, even if I don't care much about her signature being on the products.

That makes absolute total sense that she is loyal to the vloggers that brought her business.

Hmm...  I would want a four-item box.
  • Bellini cream blush (I prefer the formula of the cream blush we received in... July, I think, over the HD Fluid blush, but I love the *shade* of the Fluid blush from the Lauren Conrad special box, so I'm splitting the difference here even though I haven't tried the Bellini cream blush)
  • Greenback (or another darkish shimmery green.  I would definitely want to swatch these in real life before choosing!) loose pigment (I'm finding I prefer loose pigments to pressed shadows, which is good considering my OMG SO MANY COLORS Glamour Doll Eyes collection) 
  • Medium dome fluff brush (it's my favorite for applying pigments, and a lot of people are intimidated by how to apply loose pigment, so I would definitely want to include my favorite tool for them!)
  • A Tendergloss, most likely either Beaux or Sugar Lips (more swatching -- to make sure they go with the blush and shadow -- needed here)
I would love to swap the Tendergloss for a slightly shimmery deep purple eyeliner pencil because I love the combination of green shadow with purple liner, and it would have to be *pencil* for me, but it doesn't look like they have one dark enough for my purpose.  And I'm not sure the purple would really work with the coral blush.  If I had to stick with a three-item box, I would drop the Tendergloss.  The blush and the eyeshadow are key to my theme!  Or the brush, even though I love it, since it *was* sent in the January 2013 box, and I'm not sure that they would send out the same tool twice.  Maybe the dome blending brush instead.  The short but fluffy bristles are key here! The extra:  In my dream world, the extra would be a sample of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume oil, although I'm not sure which *one* I would pick.  Maybe a variety, so there would be five or six different scents, but everyone would only get *one* out of the assortment sent out:  Maybe Dragon's Milk, Snake Oil, Voodoo Lily, Morocco, Bewitched, Dorian, and Tamora.  Okay, seven.  Or maybe even more.  There are just so many I'm having problems narrowing it down, plus, practically speaking, the volume of samples needed would probably mean that there would be a limit to how many of one scent could be sent out anyway.  But it would be a carefully curated selection of spring-y scents, although none would be straight-up florals except Voodoo Lily, except for the part where that one isn't really what anyone would think of as floral (it goes wonderfully spicy cola on me!).  Or maybe a sample of clear eyeshadow primer because you kind of *need* a base for loose pigments.  And this would be a February box, so it would arrive in time for March wear, which is kind of key to my concept for the box as well. And my Looksbook would pair the green shadow with various liners, especially brown to mimic the forest (brown dirt/tree trunks, green leaves/plants) and purple (because Batman.  And also because violets).  It would shoot in the woods.  The theme would be Sleeping Beauty, as in the world waking up from winter's hibernation, although this time around, she would be waking up of her own accord because this sleeping and waiting for a dude to save her thing is *bullshit* (I think that might be why I love _Alice in Wonderland_ so much.  It's not about being saved by some guy!).  The green would represent all of the flowers that start peeking out from the soil for the first sign of spring, and the coral would be in there because peaches and corals are my spring blush colors. (Yes, I love the springtime even if my allergies go absolutely bonkers!)  Um.  I may or may not have overthought this.  Now I feel like making up my fantasy summer box!
Sign me up! I want it! ;-) You are very creative!

Hopefully boxes will ship this week! *crossesfingers*

Quote: Originally Posted by akritenbrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When do boxes usually ship? This is my first box.
3rd of 4th week of the month, usually. We get them before the end of the month, but Starlooks is always my last subscription box to arrive for the month, usually. I got my January box on the 26th.

When do boxes usually ship? This is my first box.
3rd of 4th week of the month, usually. We get them before the end of the month, but Starlooks is always my last subscription box to arrive for the month, usually. I got my January box on the 26th.
Cool... I get all my other ones at the same time, so this will be fun.

Happy third week of February...COOOOOOME ON, Starbox.  I am only human.

Seriously, I have already started stalking my email, hoping that a tracking email will show up.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Happy third week of February...COOOOOOME ON, Starbox.  I am only human.

Seriously, I have already started stalking my email, hoping that a tracking email will show up.
haha I'm stalking too! I am super excited to see what the box contains, but even more excited to see what the loyalty gift is!

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Got my shipping notification! Woohoo!
haven't gotten mine yet, but I am sure it will come soon!  I cannot wait :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm looking forward to this month's box.  This might be a factor on if I stay with it.  I didn't like some of the colors that I got and experienced alot of feathering with the lip products (a first for me with any product).  just don't want to spend the money for products I don't like...

Back