Starlooks February 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got tungsten pigment and cream shadow in hologram as well. My lipstick is Lilu. Formula and staying power is great but the color is straight up GOLD! I may use my $35 to get more lipstick though!

Quote: Originally Posted by Krendall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got tungsten pigment and cream shadow in hologram as well. My lipstick is Lilu. Formula and staying power is great but the color is straight up GOLD! I may use my $35 to get more lipstick though!
Ohhh! I like the gold. I am also excited to pick out products that I want to try with the $35.

I am torn on how excited I am.  I do really like that gold, but I also am kind of sick of the whole loose pigment thing.  I have a billion of them.

I'm also on the fence about the loyalty gift.  I subscribe because I like the mystery of the mystery box and I was looking forward to the mystery gift.   I do, however, wonder if they'll give us a code or if we have to place our order over the phone and if we'll be able to combine it with the 40% off coupons we basically get every month.  I am guessing no though.

I actually like that we can purchase whatever we want. There is a lot things I have been wanting to buy from them. 
yay.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by XBrieX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm pretty sure those lipstick colors will look awful on me though. 

Yeah, I'm not sure on those, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I do like that I can pick out something I want, but I think I'm a little disappointed in that I like having the mystery thing...like a birthday present :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmmmm....I wonder if you can use it on past Starboxes (since there are some available for $25).   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

*cough* Would it be breaking my blush no-buy if I used the code for that Bellini cream blush I've been coveting since last June? I'm thinking I want to get that and a Tendergloss in Beaux. Maybe. I've had them both on my to-buy list for ages. Anyway. Now that I've looked at swatches, I don't think any of the lipsticks will work for me, so I'll just lalala-I-don't-see-you my way past those. The pigments (I have well over a hundred loose pigments, but I love them and will continue to collect them for the forseeable future!): Tungsten looks like it has a green/brown tinge to it. Wall Street looks like it's probably a weird purple-gray shade, which is right up my alley. I'm not sure whether to hope for the one I would normally get since it would be easy for me to incorporate into my rotation or the one I would normally avoid since I probably don't have anything like it already! I have no clue which cream shadow I want since it's not on the site yet, so I don't know what they look like. Does the card happen to list what the price of the cream shadows will be? I might have to snag one of those depending on the colors and finishes. I love shimmery cream shadow, but I'm starting to want a non-shimmery cream shadow to use as a base for my pigments.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*cough* Would it be breaking my blush no-buy if I used the code for that Bellini cream blush I've been coveting since last June? I'm thinking I want to get that and a Tendergloss in Beaux. Maybe. I've had them both on my to-buy list for ages.

Anyway. Now that I've looked at swatches, I don't think any of the lipsticks will work for me, so I'll just lalala-I-don't-see-you my way past those. The pigments (I have well over a hundred loose pigments, but I love them and will continue to collect them for the forseeable future!): Tungsten looks like it has a green/brown tinge to it. Wall Street looks like it's probably a weird purple-gray shade, which is right up my alley. I'm not sure whether to hope for the one I would normally get since it would be easy for me to incorporate into my rotation or the one I would normally avoid since I probably don't have anything like it already! I have no clue which cream shadow I want since it's not on the site yet, so I don't know what they look like. Does the card happen to list what the price of the cream shadows will be? I might have to snag one of those depending on the colors and finishes. I love shimmery cream shadow, but I'm starting to want a non-shimmery cream shadow to use as a base for my pigments.

The card says the cream shadows will retail for $12.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure on those, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I do like that I can pick out something I want, but I think I'm a little disappointed in that I like having the mystery thing...like a birthday present :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmmmm....I wonder if you can use it on past Starboxes (since there are some available for $25).   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I liked the idea of it being a surprise but at least this way I won't be disappointed with what I get. lol 

Quote: Originally Posted by XBrieX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I liked the idea of it being a surprise but at least this way I won't be disappointed with what I get. lol 
I was really surprised when it turned out to be a discount where we get to pick our own goodies because I was *convinced* that it would be a random box of *stuff* they're trying to clear out, like the birthday/referral/January boxes were.  Now I'm super antsy to see the cream shadow colors -- and what else they're rolling out this month because it seems like they launch multiple things whenever they send a new product out in boxes! 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was really surprised when it turned out to be a discount where we get to pick our own goodies because I was *convinced* that it would be a random box of *stuff* they're trying to clear out, like the birthday/referral/January boxes were.  Now I'm super antsy to see the cream shadow colors -- and what else they're rolling out this month because it seems like they launch multiple things whenever they send a new product out in boxes! 

I actually have really liked my referral boxes.  One of them even had a super nice shadow brush in it!   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I mean, I'm not upset by the merchandise credit, it's more just maybe like at Christmas, when you want new stuff to use RIGHT NOW and you open up your gift and it's a gift card and now you know you have to make a decision yourself on what you want and then wait.  And waiting sucks.

I wanted Starlooks to take the decision away from me!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It would be amazing if we could use the credit on top of the usual discount, but I'm going out on a limb and guessing it's not possible.  If any of you lucky people who have their box already want to look into that, I will love you forever and ever.   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It does say you can call or e-mail them to get your personalized coupon code, so I'm assuming they'll just give you the code and let you use it as you wish, which means we probably won't be able to combine it with any other coupon . Even so, I actually LOVE the idea of being able to pick something out for myself. There's a few things I've been eyeing and it's nice to not have to rely on getting them in a Starbox.

I'm really meh on the loose pigments. As nice as they are, I do not wear them. They're just too much effort for me. I don't even use single shadows. I have a huge collection of palettes and that's what I use to make my eye looks. Having a bunch of pigments and singles strewn about is just too excessive and stressful for me!
icon_eek.gif
haha!

After looking at the lipstick choices this month I am NOT a fan of any of them. I'm sure they're pretty and can be layered and all that jazz but I like my makeup routine to not have to take any longer than it already does, so mixing/blending/layering lipsticks is not something I want to do.

I think the cream shadow is the only thing I won't be trading, however, I still think this is a neat box. It's not up my alley, but as a curated box I think it's fun and different. Definitely not what you'd expect for a February box, though. I am VERY excited and already looking forward to the March box. The girl (I forgot her name already) that is curating the box seems like she'll choose colors on the safer side rather than gold lipsticks, haha!

Now to take the time to window shop before my gift code arrives!

I actually have really liked my referral boxes.  One of them even had a super nice shadow brush in it!   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I mean, I'm not upset by the merchandise credit, it's more just maybe like at Christmas, when you want new stuff to use RIGHT NOW and you open up your gift and it's a gift card and now you know you have to make a decision yourself on what you want and then wait.  And waiting sucks.

I wanted Starlooks to take the decision away from me!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It would be amazing if we could use the credit on top of the usual discount, but I'm going out on a limb and guessing it's not possible.  If any of you lucky people who have their box already want to look into that, I will love you forever and ever.   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really think it should be "$35 to spend at Starlooks.com" instead of "$35 off" because that wording makes me think it's more of a coupon code. I think they should consider it a gift card rather than a coupon code, but eh...a girl can dream!

Well, the lipstick choices don't do much for me - I am with @MissJexie on this one, I don't like layering lippies, I just want to swipe on a color & be done with it...but I am excited about getting the pigment and the new cream eyeshadow (I CALLED IT!! lol)

The 35.00 to spend as I want to  - I am getting  a slanted eye liner brush for my orion eye pot and something else....Not sure what.   Believe me, it adds up quickly over there!!

edited to add - oh I am getting the merlot cream blush  - I have wanted this ever since I saw the may box from last year (it was called Emphasize back then) and I think it is beautiful - multi-purpose too!

The 35.00 to spend as I want to  - I am getting  a slanted eye liner brush for my orion eye pot and something else....Not sure what.   Believe me, it adds up quickly over there!!   edited to add - oh I am getting the merlot cream blush  - I have wanted this ever since I saw the may box from last year (it was called Emphasize back then) and I think it is beautiful - multi-purpose too!
The slanted liner brush is amazing. It came as part of the November box. I'm not sure what I'll be spending mine on, but I'll probably wait until I get my referral boxes for February (I'm getting two or three this month) to make sure I get something I'll use, but I'm thinking either a small detail shadow brush or a blush brush. Hmmmm. I haven't seen the cream blush, but the fact that it's been mentioned twice has my interest piqued! Edit: also wondering if you can use the code on past Starboxes. It'd make more fiscal sense to buy the November box at $25 than the slanted liner alone, if that's the case. However, there might be unwritten terms that prohibit that.

@biskies- thanks for the review on the brush!  If I hadn't gotten orion already, I would have thought about that november box, but since I do, the eyeshadows in that box do not interest me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One thing that I wish starlooks would do is real swatches of their products.  I try and look for swatches of stuff, and it is difficult.  I think I will suggest that to them.

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @biskies- thanks for the review on the brush!  If I hadn't gotten orion already, I would have thought about that november box, but since I do, the eyeshadows in that box do not interest me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One thing that I wish starlooks would do is real swatches of their products.  I try and look for swatches of stuff, and it is difficult.  I think I will suggest that to them.

I wish they would do swatches as well!  Good idea.  I also REALLY wish they would advise you as people signed up under you.  It's really the only sub that doesn't send out an email when you earn a referral.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, I was thinking, for some reason, that the liner brush was $22, so it seemed to make sense to spend another $3 for the extras, even if they just become trade fodder.  That said, I just realized it's an $18 brush and it's probably not worth the extra $7 that you could spend on something you want just to get stuff to pad your trade list :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by NeisDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got my Starlooks today. Here is what was inside:

Brown Headband

Lipstick in "BFF" (Other color options: "Lilu," or "Drew")

Cream Shadow in "Hologram" (Other color options: "Phaser", "Warp", or "Core")

Pigment in "Tungsten" (or "Wall Street")

It looks like the bonus/reward for subbing for 3 months is a coupon for $35 off Starlooks.com.

There was no code on the insert so I guess you have to email or call them in order to redeem it.

Nice box, I thought they would send some items like they do with the birthday boxes for the loyalty gifts. I am surprised to see the coupon instead.

I wish they would do swatches as well!  Good idea.  I also REALLY wish they would advise you as people signed up under you.  It's really the only sub that doesn't send out an email when you earn a referral.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, I was thinking, for some reason, that the liner brush was $22, so it seemed to make sense to spend another $3 for the extras, even if they just become trade fodder.  That said, I just realized it's an $18 brush and it's probably not worth the extra $7 that you could spend on something you want just to get stuff to pad your trade list :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a hard enough time getting rid of stuff in my trade list now!!  I am seriously thinking of doing a bag giveaway soon.  It looks really easy to set up rafflecopter and I am thinking in the next few weeks.  

Back