Starlooks November 2013 (spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am so very excited to get and play with it!

It really is quite pretty.  I could play with it all night.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I understand this, which is why I mentioned that if I had offended her, I am sorry, I was just trying to explain how someone might take that.  It really wasn't so much the circus paint comment, but the "who would wear that?", which is essentially an implication that only someone lacking in taste would wear it,  I understand it wasn't her intention to insult anyone just as I hope you understand it was never my intention to offend her.  I was not the only one that took the comment the way I did though.

Of course she can speak her mind, but I was trying to say that, okay, maybe she doesn't like the palette.  Saying that she doesn't like it and maybe even saying that it looks like clown makeup to her would have been more than okay and I'm sure there are some that agree with her.  It was the "who would wear that?" that got under my skin because, frankly, I would wear that and I am wearing that and I like it.

That said, we can agree to disagree.  That's the way of the world :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
This is pretty much how I felt, too.  "Who would wear that?"  Uh, right over here.  I *love* wearing orange and blue eyeshadow together (I'm a little bit bummed at how close it seems to be to the other five-pan palette we received over the summer, but that's a whole separate thing and not related to OMG CLOWN COLORS).  When things are phrased like these sentiments were, it can feel like a personal attack because it was presented as if there is something wrong with liking it.  I like it.  If there's something wrong with liking it, then that means there's something wrong with me.  That may not have been the intent, but that was the impact.

(For the record, if *I* refer to something as "clown makeup" or "circus paint," it's intended as an excited compliment.  My eyeshadow collection could be described as "clown vomit":  lots of color and even more sparkle.  I try to avoid the term "hooker colors" because, well, those aren't the colors the hookers in *my* neighborhood wear, so it's just a factually wrong descriptor to me.)

(ETA:  "Clown prostitute" is a completely different matter and is concerned almost entirely with blush.  It is usually entirely due to application, like when I dust some on lightly in my bathroom and think I need a little more because I look washed out and then get to work and realize that it is *not* subdued in office lighting, not the color itself.  Just in case anyone was wondering/confused.)

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I try to avoid the term "hooker colors" because, well, those aren't the colors the hookers in *my* neighborhood wear, so it's just a factually wrong descriptor to me.)

LMAO.

Oh my! Have any of you played with the gel liner yet? Love love love! It's a peacock blue! It's stunning! I'm in love!
omg that's beautiful!!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(For the record, if *I* refer to something as "clown makeup" or "circus paint," it's intended as an excited compliment.  My eyeshadow collection could be described as "clown vomit":  lots of color and even more sparkle.  I try to avoid the term "hooker colors" because, well, those aren't the colors the hookers in *my* neighborhood wear, so it's just a factually wrong descriptor to me.)
GENIUS!!!!

If your avatar is actually you, can you please come to my house and teach me how you do your eye makeup?  You're GORGEOUS!

I think that might have sounded weird, but it wasn't intentional.
haha yes it's actually me! You are very sweet! And trust me, I took that picture right after finishing my "going out" makeup. Normally I slap on some mascara and call it a day! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did two different looks with the November box to show how versatile this shadow palette really is! I'm sorry for the terrible photos I only have a crappy 4-year-old camera phone! The first one is the more bold look that they suggest. I used all the shades except for the grey/taupe color. I find that the gold shade is not very pigmented and is more of a shimmer than anything, so I dusted some on the inner corner and over the entire look to give it all a bit of a golden finish.

For the more neutral look, I used every shade except for the orange/red. I used the taupe all over my lid and used the navy blue in the crease. I put the white on the brow bone and the gold was on the inner corner blended up to the inner lid a bit. I used the Orion liner and did a teal wing to make it a bit more fun.

Don't be afraid of this palette! If you cover up the reddish hue, it's really just a pretty set of neutral/cool shades. Have fun with it and play around! I'm actually really loving the look that they suggested. It's very fun!

@MissJexie 
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
 BOWING!

Love both looks on you! The bold looks fantasmic, your blending skills are A+!! Also love the more neutral look too, the teal liner is a great pop of fun. Too bad I suck at making symmetrical wings haha! 

Totally agree re: gold shade! I was really hoping it would transfer as bold as the it is in the pan, will play around with primers to see if anything will help it pop more. 

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @MissJexie 
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
 BOWING!

Love both looks on you! The bold looks fantasmic, your blending skills are A+!! Also love the more neutral look too, the teal liner is a great pop of fun. Too bad I suck at making symmetrical wings haha! 

Totally agree re: gold shade! I was really hoping it would transfer as bold as the it is in the pan, will play around with primers to see if anything will help it pop more. 
So jealous of her look.  Why can't I do this stuff???  UGH!  I need lessons :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@MissJexie 
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
 BOWING!

Thank you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm not very good at making symmetrical wings either, but I have hooded lids so I'm able to hide the unevenness a bit. Another secret is to use false lashes which blurs the wings a bit so it's less obvious if they're not totally even! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have tried EVERYTHING to get that gold shade to happen...my last hope is to use a really dense shadow brush and really try to pack it on. It seems to swatch opaque on my finger, but doesn't apply well at all :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So jealous of her look.  Why can't I do this stuff???  UGH!  I need lessons :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think you did an amazing job on your look that you posted earlier! I think we all just get jealous of each other's looks because we're our own worst critics! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by trekkersangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my! Have any of you played with the gel liner yet? Love love love! It's a peacock blue! It's stunning! I'm in love!

I got my box yesterday and put the liner on this morning. It looked like a plain old dark blue until I dipped in. GORGEOUS color.

Okay...I thought it was weird that I didn't get my box yesterday. Then again today, no box. So I checked the tracking...um...

USPS, WTF are you doing?!

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It looks like it's stuck there! LOL

I'm just confused as to why it left Indy, came to Kokomo (where I would usually get it the next day) and then BACK to Indy (which is a couple of hours away)...did it want to hit the good bars again? COME ONNNN. I want to play with the liner!!

My first Starbox is out for delivery! Hooray! 

USPS has been, overall, a general clusteryouknowwhat this month. One of my Birchbox orders bounce between a couple cities in NJ for three days before finally getting out, a Julep order hasn't updated past electronic shipping info received in 3 days now (I'm guessing it never got scanned and is on the way and will randomly show up, hopefully today, lol) and then nothing updated for anything at all on the 13th on several different shipments. It all updated yesterday at once showing activity for the 13th but nothing actually showed until the 14th. So I'm wondering if they aren't having some system issues or more likely, the beginning of the holiday shipping season ;-)

It's a five color shadow palette, a gel liner in a GORGEOUS color blue, a liner brush, and a random pencil sharpener (which made no sense, but whatever)  
Info :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Cant wait for that box!

Meeep, I am so excited to see this in person!! Will have to get out of my comfort zone with the

red shadow
I am pretty sure that it's going to take a lot of playing around with for me.  However, I am trying to venture out a little more.  I usually don't even wear shadow.  Here is the most makeup I've ever worn in the past decade (mascara, foundation and a lip pencil):

Pretty!

Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritwind10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I guess that that! This is my first month and I get circus paint! I think I am going to un sub!! This is an awful kit. Who can wear this stuff? Yuck!

Maybe saying, "I don't really like these colors.  I think I'll unsub" would likely have been enough.  Not to be a jerk. but calling it circus paint as well as saying "who can wear this stuff?" and "yuck" essentially insults everyone that already posted how much they love their box.  It's just...unnecessary and, quite frankly, rude.

For everyone actually interested in this box, I played with it for a couple of minutes and, while I went a little bold by using a lot of the palette, here's what I've got so far.  I am terrible at selfies, sorry.  I was trying to get the eye makeup in the photo without looking weird and, frankly, I look kinda weird haha.

Love what you did with the colors!

I used the red-orange today and LOVED it -- reminds me of a Ben Nye shadow I used in the early 00s. On me it almost has a hot pink undertone (I am very pale with yellow undertones). I didn't even need primer. So far, super pleased!

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I did two different looks with the November box to show how versatile this shadow palette really is! I'm sorry for the terrible photos I only have a crappy 4-year-old camera phone! The first one is the more bold look that they suggest. I used all the shades except for the grey/taupe color. I find that the gold shade is not very pigmented and is more of a shimmer than anything, so I dusted some on the inner corner and over the entire look to give it all a bit of a golden finish.

For the more neutral look, I used every shade except for the orange/red. I used the taupe all over my lid and used the navy blue in the crease. I put the white on the brow bone and the gold was on the inner corner blended up to the inner lid a bit. I used the Orion liner and did a teal wing to make it a bit more fun.

Don't be afraid of this palette! If you cover up the reddish hue, it's really just a pretty set of neutral/cool shades. Have fun with it and play around! I'm actually really loving the look that they suggested. It's very fun!
These are great looks, thanks for sharing!

Back