Starlooks November 2013 (spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the contents! ETA: I totally missed that were a PAGE of updates already explaining this -- er, whoops. Still, I'll keep the photo up. Honestly, I am excited. I like bold stuff.  I wear red/orange eyeshadow a lot -- it is all in application!

The box contains:

- a sharpener
-  slanted liner brush  824
- infinity eyeliner in orion (strong royal blue -- my house is dark so it is hard to see)
- five-color eyeshadow palette in Monaco!

I am so excited! I will trade the brush and eyeliner (have similar products), but I've been DYING for that palette.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here are the contents! ETA: I totally missed that were a PAGE of updates already explaining this -- er, whoops. Still, I'll keep the photo up. Honestly, I am excited. I like bold stuff.  I wear red/orange eyeshadow a lot -- it is all in application!

The box contains:

- a sharpener
-  slanted liner brush  824
- infinity eyeliner in orion (strong royal blue -- my house is dark so it is hard to see)
- five-color eyeshadow palette in Monaco!

I am so excited! I will trade the brush and eyeliner (have similar products), but I've been DYING for that palette.

I kept the spoiler tags up when I posted it earlier so you could get a real, true mystery box!  It's awesome, right?  Also, I LOOOOVE this eyeliner.  I might be interested in a trade if you add it to your list, but I need to go through what I have and see if I have anything you might want :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kept the spoiler tags up when I posted it earlier so you could get a real, true mystery box!  It's awesome, right?  Also, I LOOOOVE this eyeliner.  I might be interested in a trade if you add it to your list, but I need to go through what I have and see if I have anything you might want :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Totally OK! I love spoilers -- they prepare me. And I'd stay off the spoiler thread if I was trying to stay pristine. Glad you liked your first box!

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Totally OK! I love spoilers -- they prepare me. And I'd stay off the spoiler thread if I was trying to stay pristine. Glad you liked your first box!
I just saw that you had posted that it would be your first real blind box.  Haha.  I was like, "well, I can't be the one to ruin that!"

If you add the liner to your trade list, PM me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The eyeliner is a very pretty blue with a hint of green. Like a very dark, dark teal.

The shadow palette.... I'm on the fence. The colors are pretty but you do need a base with it to make the colors really pop. The weight of the palette itself... lol, I complained in the past how heavy the Night Life palette from EM Cosmetics happens to be and this palette is on the flip side as it's TOO light for my liking. It's a superficial complaint though but I wish it had maybe another ounce or two of weight to it to keep it balanced.

The liner brush is a good angle brush. Some angle brushes are cut too harshly and some not enough. For me this is as close to a perfect angle but again it's a bit too light for me. The length is ok but it's a light brush. I think I'm too use to my Bdellium brushes and my Morphe brushes which have more weight because it's made of wood.

The sharpener will go poof as do all my other sharpeners. I have yet to have one sharpener NOT go missing. lol

The sharpener will go poof as do all my other sharpeners. I have yet to have one sharpener NOT go missing. lol
Have you seen the new _Thor_? I'm pretty sure our sharpeners are with all of the shoes.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The eyeliner is a very pretty blue with a hint of green. Like a very dark, dark teal.

The shadow palette.... I'm on the fence. The colors are pretty but you do need a base with it to make the colors really pop. The weight of the palette itself... lol, I complained in the past how heavy the Night Life palette from EM Cosmetics happens to be and this palette is on the flip side as it's TOO light for my liking. It's a superficial complaint though but I wish it had maybe another ounce or two of weight to it to keep it balanced.

The liner brush is a good angle brush. Some angle brushes are cut too harshly and some not enough. For me this is as close to a perfect angle but again it's a bit too light for me. The length is ok but it's a light brush. I think I'm too use to my Bdellium brushes and my Morphe brushes which have more weight because it's made of wood.

I used a shadow primer and NYX shadow base in white and yeah, it still took a lot of layers to make the colors pop.  That said, I thought they looked really bright and crazy in the palette and then really pretty.  I agree on the brush and the liner though.  I actually am super thrilled with this box.  I did laugh about your sharpener comment though because I have probably lost like 10 sharpeners in the last two years and it's not like I do a lot of moving sharpeners around.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by kitnmitns /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@biskies you are ridiculously pretty.
  Thank you so much.  I think I'm fairly average, but that just made my night.  Thank you!!

@biskies, it looks GREAT on you!! you did a pretty good job recreating the look :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Makes me excited to try it out!

I don't really think that @Spiritwind10 intended to insult any of you personally! Perhaps she shouldn't have used such harsh words, but I think she's mostly just referring to her own comfort zone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I can't wait to play around with these babies, I threw the yellow-gold color on when I was running out the door and it definitely needed a base to it. 

SO excited for this box. I wasn't going to sign up until December but on a whim went for November as well. My box tracking just updated that it's in my city so I should have it tomorrow <3 As well as my Ipsy bag and my BH galaxy palette and possibly a Birchbox store order and my Julep mystery box...tomorrow is going to be the best mail day EVER. 

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really think that @Spiritwind10 intended to insult any of you personally! Perhaps she shouldn't have used such harsh words, but I think she's mostly just referring to her own comfort zone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I agree, I wasn't trying to berate her, I just wanted to point out that maybe it wouldn't be taken very well by other people.  I don't love everything that everyone else does, but I personally choose not to insult those things on the off-chance that I'll insult someone else inadvertently.  I hope I didn't come off as mean because I'm honestly not. 

@Spiritwind10  - If I accidentally insulted you while explaining how I felt about that comment, I sincerely, apologize.

I agree, I wasn't trying to berate her, I just wanted to point out that maybe it wouldn't be taken very well by other people.  I don't love everything that everyone else does, but I personally choose not to insult those things on the off-chance that I'll insult someone else inadvertently.  I hope I didn't come off as mean because I'm honestly not.  @Spiritwind10   - If I accidentally insulted you while explaining how I felt about that comment, I sincerely, apologize.
Biskies, In NO WAY was what I said personal about anyone. . .i am sorry if you or anyone else took it that way. I meant by it that if I were to wear that particular eye palate being such a clutz that I am and not good with eyeshadow I would be looking like a clown. I am terribly bad a shading and wearing eyeshadow, eyeliner and such and though I try it always comes out looking "clown" like. Including my blush. . .that is why I do buy eyeshadows that have more shading and the colors I can use without mixing so much. I am glad you all are so good at putting on your shadows so you don't look like "clowns". I apologize if I insulted you unintentionally because I did not mean to and never would. I try and be upbeat somewhat but maybe this forum is not meant for me if I can't voice my opinion. I'll try and stay out of any "negative" remarking.

Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritwind10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a five color shadow palette, a gel liner in a GORGEOUS color blue, a liner brush, and a random pencil sharpener (which made no sense, but whatever)

Info
smile.gif

Well, I guess that that! This is my first month and I get circus paint! I think I am going to un sub!! This is an awful kit. Who can wear this stuff? Yuck!

Well, I guess that that! This is my first month and I get circus paint! I think I am going to un sub!! This is an awful kit. Who can wear this stuff? Yuck!

Maybe saying, "I don't really like these colors.  I think I'll unsub" would likely have been enough.  Not to be a jerk. but calling it circus paint as well as saying "who can wear this stuff?" and "yuck" essentially insults everyone that already posted how much they love their box.  It's just...unnecessary and, quite frankly, rude.

For everyone actually interested in this box, I played with it for a couple of minutes and, while I went a little bold by using a lot of the palette, here's what I've got so far.  I am terrible at selfies, sorry.  I was trying to get the eye makeup in the photo without looking weird and, frankly, I look kinda weird haha.

I agree, I wasn't trying to berate her, I just wanted to point out that maybe it wouldn't be taken very well by other people.  I don't love everything that everyone else does, but I personally choose not to insult those things on the off-chance that I'll insult someone else inadvertently.  I hope I didn't come off as mean because I'm honestly not. 

@Spiritwind10
  - If I accidentally insulted you while explaining how I felt about that comment, I sincerely, apologize.

Biskies, In NO WAY was what I said personal about anyone. . .i am sorry if you or anyone else took it that way. I meant by it that if I were to wear that particular eye palate being such a clutz that I am and not good with eyeshadow I would be looking like a clown. I am terribly bad a shading and wearing eyeshadow, eyeliner and such and though I try it always comes out looking "clown" like. Including my blush. . .that is why I do buy eyeshadows that have more shading and the colors I can use without mixing so much. I am glad you all are so good at putting on your shadows so you don't look like "clowns". I apologize if I insulted you unintentionally because I did not mean to and never would. I try and be upbeat somewhat but maybe this forum is not meant for me if I can't voice my opinion. I'll try and stay out of any "negative" remarking.
Ok, I see what happened.

@Spiritwind10 never directed the comment at anyone. It was her opinion on the colors. I can see why she calls it "circus paint" but I've seen similar comments about blue shadows or hot pink lipstick being "hooker paint" and things like that. Everyone has different tastes and comfort zones and these bold colors are not for her. She never intended to insult anyone who do like the palette. Personally, the warm orange color is not a color I would wear on a daily basis as a shadow but would mix it with a blush to warm up a cool blush. The gold I would use as a liner along with the navy blue. The white... mmm... highlight color.

@zadidoll I was totally thinking the same thing about the warm orange color! I saw it in the pan and thought how can I use this as blush?! We'll see! 

Ok, I see what happened.

@Spiritwind10 never directed the comment at anyone. It was her opinion on the colors. I can see why she calls it "circus paint" but I've seen similar comments about blue shadows or hot pink lipstick being "hooker paint" and things like that. Everyone has different tastes and comfort zones and these bold colors are not for her. She never intended to insult anyone who do like the palette. Personally, the warm orange color is not a color I would wear on a daily basis as a shadow but would mix it with a blush to warm up a cool blush. The gold I would use as a liner along with the navy blue. The white... mmm... highlight color.

And I understand this, which is why I mentioned that if I had offended her, I am sorry, I was just trying to explain how someone might take that.  It really wasn't so much the circus paint comment, but the "who would wear that?", which is essentially an implication that only someone lacking in taste would wear it,  I understand it wasn't her intention to insult anyone just as I hope you understand it was never my intention to offend her.  I was not the only one that took the comment the way I did though.

Of course she can speak her mind, but I was trying to say that, okay, maybe she doesn't like the palette.  Saying that she doesn't like it and maybe even saying that it looks like clown makeup to her would have been more than okay and I'm sure there are some that agree with her.  It was the "who would wear that?" that got under my skin because, frankly, I would wear that and I am wearing that and I like it.

That said, we can agree to disagree.  That's the way of the world :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Ok, I see what happened.

And I understand this, which is why I mentioned that if I had offended her, I am sorry, I was just trying to explain how someone might take that.  It really wasn't so much the circus paint comment, but the "who would wear that?", which is essentially an implication that only someone lacking in taste would wear it,  I understand it wasn't her intention to insult anyone just as I hope you understand it was never my intention to offend her.  I was not the only one that took the comment the way I did though.

Of course she can speak her mind, but I was trying to say that, okay, maybe she doesn't like the palette.  Saying that she doesn't like it and maybe even saying that it looks like clown makeup to her would have been more than okay and I'm sure there are some that agree with her.  It was the "who would wear that?" that got under my skin because, frankly, I would wear that and I am wearing that and I like it.

That said, we can agree to disagree.  That's the way of the world :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Mmhmm, and I do feel the same about people calling colors "hooker colors", etc...I just think there are ways to say you don't care for something without implying that there is something wrong with others who feel differently...and I usually ask those who use the "hooker" comments to consider rephrasing it, too. Talking about makeup should be fun and I'd hate to have someone made to feel bad about something they like!

No no no.  I want you to express your opinion.  Honestly, I haven't worn shadow in years.  This is the first time I've given it a go in a loooong time.  I understand things being outside of your comfort zone.  Personally, I felt the way you worded it was just a bit insensitive, not that you didn't have the right to voice an opinion.  Maybe I'm just overly sensitive.  Either way, don't leave the forums because a couple of us thought you worded something poorly.  I'm sure we can both understand where the other is coming from and I certainly don't harbor any hard feelings.

I just ask that, just as I always do, you read whatever it is you're writing back to yourself before you post it.  I hope you can see where we might have gotten upset, but I am sure that you're a good person and didn't mean to offend.

Quote: Originally Posted by trekkersangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my! Have any of you played with the gel liner yet? Love love love! It's a peacock blue! It's stunning! I'm in love!
I am so very excited to get and play with it!

Latest posts

Back