Starlooks Starbox April 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh! I sent email to Starlooks asking for recommendations for

settjng powder
because that's next on my list of needed basics. The recommendation I received? Wait until after the April box! Yay!
Ugh! I just bought an expensive one!

yes! I won a box in the contest too and I can't wait I hope they ship soon! It is my birthday month and I used a code from a YT channel for a free bonus item in my box! I can't wait!!! And if we get a setting powder i'll be super stoked! I think i'm going to cut Sample Society. 

Would you recommend this sub over Ipsy? I really want to sign up but I'm kind of on sub overload. The only thing that's pulling at me on the Ipsy side is the makeup bags as dumb as that sounds. lol

Would you recommend this sub over Ipsy? I really want to sign up but I'm kind of on sub overload. The only thing that's pulling at me on the Ipsy side is the makeup bags as dumb as that sounds. lol
This is definitely better than Ipsy! Starlooks products are amazing and they come packaged really nicely. Plus, you get an extra (free) box of full sized goodies for your birthday.

Originally Posted by SarahAlly01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bailed on ipsy once I compared how frequently I use Starbox items versus ipsy.  I was actually planning on keeping both, but then I started really thinking things over.  Starbox:  Today alone, I used the blush and gel eye liner from the February box (plus the lipstick from the Lauren Clark collection), and I think I used the January blush and March eyeshadow yesterday (it's been a loooong day, so my brain is mush, and I can't remember anything that happened more than twelve hours ago).  I break out those two blushes a *lot*.  Ipsy:  I lost my March bag for something like two weeks before I even noticed, and I'm not sure I've used *anything* from any of the five bags I received (aside from the bags themselves) more than two or three times.  

Something else that pushed me over in favor of Starbox:  They seem to tend to send colors intended to help you push your boundaries makeup-wise.  A lot of people might shy away from metallic mint eyeliner pencil or almost neon pink blush, but once those things were foisted upon them, they might experiment with and discover they are MADE OF AWESOME.  The colors I received from ipsy were safe and classic.  Safe and classic are boring and not why I wear makeup.  New toys to play with and find new ways to make unexpected colors work for me?  *That* is why I wear makeup.

Actually, now that I think about it, Starbox is more or less what I hoped for from ipsy, except the quality is much, much higher and more consistent.  You're not going to get Nyx one month, theBalm the next, and some random brand you're never heard of before the one after that. Starbox sends Starlooks, period.  I get brand-fixated, and I can see a good chunk of my makeup collection becoming almost entirely converted to it by the end of the year.  (I won't be giving up my stila smudge stick collection or essence impulse purchases any time soon, though.)

I agree with meaganola! I was hesitant to join Starlooks for a couple of months after I discovered it, because I had never heard of the brand and just wasn't sure. Then I got my hands on the pretty opalescent palette from September and fell in love! I do currently have both Starlooks and Ipsy, as well as Birchbox and Glossybox, but if I truly had to cut down to just one, it'd be Starlooks. I use something I've gotten from them pretty much every day. I feel like I'm always raving about them but it really is just amazing stuff. THere have been so many things they've sent out that I never would have chosen for myself, but then fell in love with!

This will be my first box after subbing as well! I won a January box in the contest, and absolutely love all the stuff I got. Can't wait to see what's in this one. I also have an Ipsy sub, and might do what @meaganola did and compare how much I use the product from each and see if the Ipsy sub is still worth it. I was so happy with it at first, but the last few months have been a little blah. JMO. I also got an email from Starlooks saying they have a Mother's Day gift set available. Thinking of sending it to my lovely mother for her birthday/mother's day gift. :)

When will they begin shipping the April box. This is my fist one as I ordered it on march 14 th and now it feels like forever.

Originally Posted by Nikki Apostolou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will they begin shipping the April box. This is my fist one as I ordered it on march 14 th and now it feels like forever.
On Facebook someone asked them when they would be shipping and the reply was "next week" (this was on Monday). So hopefuly early next week.

I'm getting anxious to see what's in this months box! I've been super lazy about my makeup lately so I'm super excited to see they're going with a natural beauty theme. Might be just what I need to jump start my routine back into gear!

I love that they ship later in the month, so my beauty subs are spread out across the month (for the past few months I've gotten Ipsy and Birchbox on the same day! Beauty Overload!)  But now I'm going crazy because they don't do spoilers and I want to know what I'm getting! 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love that they ship later in the month, so my beauty subs are spread out across the month (for the past few months I've gotten Ipsy and Birchbox on the same day! Beauty Overload!)  But now I'm going crazy because they don't do spoilers and I want to know what I'm getting! 
biggrin.gif
That drives me crazy! (in a good way) I like to be surprised but I like the spoilers too lol.

Oh, this is nice! I just signed up to Starlooks last night! Yay!

Can't wait. The people running Starlooks seem too nice. Nice customer service is the first step to my interest, and due to that and my February box, I think I will have fun here. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So has anyone received their Starbox this month?
Nope.  On Monday on Facebook, they said boxes will start shipping next week.

Prior to my little spoiler discovery a few days ago and based on the April looksbook, I was hoping that this box would contain two or three of any of the following:

• some sort of powder (my number one wish since it's next on my one-basic-item-a-month list after concealer, which I picked up this month)
  • a brush for the powder (my number two wish)
  • a pinky-nude cream (that is, not shimmery) lipgloss (there's a specific shade I have in mind that I don't think actually exists in any cosmetic item nowadays, although I used to have a Bonne Bell gloss this particular shade about twenty years ago, but I don't know how to describe it, so I'll stop now)
  • a cheek stain (something not currently available, but, hey, neither was mascara before March!)
  • if not a cheek stain, a creme blush (I have two Starlooks HD fluid blushes and a powder, and i would love to try one of their cremes, but I'm on a blush no-buy right now, so I have to just hope it shows up in a box)
  • a pinky-nude tinted lip balm with SPF (see cheek stain)
  • some sort of long-wearing smoky eye color, although the Sculpture Infinity liner already went out in August, and the brown pencil just went out in January, and it doesn't seem likely that they would send two shadows out in consecutive months so this is probably not a happening thing

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with meaganola! I was hesitant to join Starlooks for a couple of months after I discovered it, because I had never heard of the brand and just wasn't sure. Then I got my hands on the pretty opalescent palette from September and fell in love! I do currently have both Starlooks and Ipsy, as well as Birchbox and Glossybox, but if I truly had to cut down to just one, it'd be Starlooks. I use something I've gotten from them pretty much every day. I feel like I'm always raving about them but it really is just amazing stuff. THere have been so many things they've sent out that I never would have chosen for myself, but then fell in love with!
I agree with KelleyKayne, Meaganola, and you! I have had Ipsy and Starlooks both the last 4 months and I have used and enjoyed the items from Starlooks way more. I still have both, but if I had to choose or recommend one, it would totally be Starlooks! 

Knowing the theme, some things I would love to get this month:

Powder/foundation (though I know foundation isn't happening, as the shade matching would be a nightmare)

Powder or foundation brush! Or, any brushes. 

A pinky nude lipstick or balm

Their moisturizer or makeup remover!

A brown liquid liner

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope.  On Monday on Facebook, they said boxes will start shipping next week.
Do they normally ship out so late? For some reason I thought they shipped third week?

Excited to see what you guys get this month.  I think they're including one of those headbands.  

I dropped Starbox this month, but I do like having the option to buy a box after it's shipped to subscribers, that way I can estimate the value for me.  

I hope we get a brush to go with the setting powder (if we get that and not a spray or something else that does the same thing).  l like the look of the pink/nude lipstick or gloss in the LookBook photos, so I hope we get that.  Very eagerly awaiting shipping day and the day it arrives in my mailbox!

I totally wouldn't mind getting one of the headbands

Back