The Monday Club

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@page5 I love this thread for that reason. I get to know my products better and can give them away if they just really do not work for me.

@page5 I love this thread for that reason. I get to know my products better and can give them away if they just really do not work for me.
Yes! Trying things once or twice doesn't always give me a good idea whether something works for me, but every day for a week? That's a good testing period. I forgot to use my That Gal this morning! I need to put it in top of my eyeshadow jars so I *see* it at 5am. I *did* use fine-one-one, and I'm going to have to work with it some more. I tried putting it on top of my bb cream this morning, and it didn't do much of anything, and the bb cream ended up all over the stick. I'm going to try to remember to give it a shot under the bb cream tomorrow. This might be relegated to weekends-on-bare-skin duty.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes! Trying things once or twice doesn't always give me a good idea whether something works for me, but every day for a week? That's a good testing period.

I forgot to use my That Gal this morning! I need to put it in top of my eyeshadow jars so I *see* it at 5am. I *did* use fine-one-one, and I'm going to have to work with it some more. I tried putting it on top of my bb cream this morning, and it didn't do much of anything, and the bb cream ended up all over the stick. I'm going to try to remember to give it a shot under the bb cream tomorrow. This might be relegated to weekends-on-bare-skin duty.
Have you tried rubbing it on a sponge and applying that way? That is how I apply my cream blush type things if I notice they don't apply over foundation well. I guess that would complicate things with fine one one though since its all three products. Maybe you could get a good straight smudge of it? lol

Have you tried rubbing it on a sponge and applying that way? That is how I apply my cream blush type things if I notice they don't apply over foundation well. I guess that would complicate things with fine one one though since its all three products. Maybe you could get a good straight smudge of it? lol
I'll be experimenting with different ways to apply this week. The stripes really are the key to this product *and* the main problem, and I just need to think about it and work with it some more. That just wasn't happening at ass o'clock in the morning on the first day I was trying it! I really need to start my experimenting on Saturdays so I have things more ingrained when it's time to get ready for work.

ooh, I forgot to post. I do the same thing that Leigh does except all of my choices for the week have to fit in a moderately sized makeup bag (it's one that I got a s a clinique GWP). This week the "face in a bag" choices are (beyond the basic mascara, and foundation):

• Primer: From the Lab
  • Blush: NARS orgasm/laguna duo
  • Highlighter: LMDB Champagne Shimmer and Benefit Watt's Up
  • Eyeshadow: Stila Barefoot Contessa, the Balm Matt Batali, & a nameless navy blue from the Body Shop
  • Eyeliner: LMDB (the bronzy one), and KVD black (from the ALMOSTVIB bag)
  • Lips: KVD Celebutard and the one that came with the FRAMED code on Sephora (not sure of the name), Stila Beso, Bare Minerals lip gloss in maverick as well as a nude, clear and pink lip pencil.

I find that fewer choices in the morning really do make the process of getting ready so much faster!

This week's "face in a bag" choices for me are:

Primers: ELF Mineral Infused Face Primer, ELF Essentials Eyelid Primer

Eyeshadows, Eyeshadow Bases, Blushes, Lipglosses: The Color Workshop Dazzling Face Palettes in Aqua Blue, Sun Goddess, Romantic Starlet, Drama Queen, Sultry Vixen and Jade Jewels

Eyeliners: ELF Studio Cream Eyeliner in Black, The Color Workshop Liners in Cobalt, Silver, and Gold

Mascara: ELF Essentials Mascara in Black

Bronzer: NYC Bronzer/Highlighter Duo in Bronze Mist

Lipsticks: L.A. Colors Lipstick & Lipgloss duo in Charmed, The Color Workshop Lipsticks in Red, Sparkly Nude, and Coral

I saw this great blog post today about making your own advent calendar with samples and unused products. You wrap everything up in pretty paper, randomly number things and then pull one thing out a day (starting with number 1) to use! This is such a great idea becasue not only will it force you to use up some items, but it will also be fun since you don't know what you're gonna open each day. I'm going to continue picking an item a week for the Monday club, but also make this advent calendar to use up some samples!

And my item for this week is a sample of bumble and bumble hairdresser's invisible oil. I've been hanging on this sample mainly for fear of using it up. I figure once I use it (I know I already love it), I can just buy the full size!

This thread is so awesome -- I actually got up and used my box EVERY SINGLE DAY LAST WEEK!  (and both days so far this week!)  Here's what this week's box contains:

-UD Ammo palette

-Benefit They're Real mascara (for my top lashes; a mini -- I've had & used this one as my main mascara for MONTHS.  It DOES.NOT.EMPTY!)

-Wet N Wild Megalength mascara (for my bottom lashes; also my go-to bottom-lash mascara)

-Smashbox BB Cream in 'light' (a foil; I've used this 6/7 days of the challenge so far & it still has product left somehow!  LOVE this product now, though, and can't wait to break into my full-size!)

-ELF blush in Tickled Pink (have had this forever; trying to reach bottom on it, though.  A great every day blush!)

-UD primer potion sample (original)

-Benefit Gimme Brow (in medium/dark; my new favorite brow product; so quick & easy to use!)

-UD eyeliner in Zero

-whatever Rimmel Scandaleyes matches my eye shadow for my bottom eyeliner (I have every shade & change daily)

-Nivea lip balm w/lemon & olive oil (as lip primer)

-Rotate lipstick daily, depending on my eye shadow

Last week was nearly the same except I used the WnW Fergie eye primer & the UD Vice 2 palette (my favorite palette ever, btw!)

And my nightly routine (I'm new to a nightly routine; up until recently I usually fell asleep with makeup on - AGH I KNOW so bad!):

-Maybelline eye makeup remover 

-Tea tree bar soap (made locally, purchased from my co-op)

-fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream

-elf Lip Exfoliator

-Be Delectable hand cream (in strawberry!)

-Yes to Blueberries eye cream (another foil that's lasted me a week & a half and barely has a dent in it!)

I don't know why it takes a group mentality to get me pumped up and motivated for these sort of things but this thread definitely did it.  Thank you gals for helping me take better care of myself.  Just getting up and putting on my face and remembering to spend 15 minutes per night with myself has helped my mental wellness as well 
wub.gif

@sparklegirl - love the DIY advent calendar idea

@donutbaby - I like posting here because it helps me remember to use the product(s) I'm trying for the week

I discovered another benefit of really testing products for a full week. I will be out of town for a week or so this month and was thinking ahead about packing and I usually take my favorite Stila shadow palette with me because, well, it is my favorite. But, I've been experimenting with a 5 shadow pan from Revlon that is 1/6 the size of the Stila palette and it will be everything I need for a week out of town. Space saver! I always pack several one use foils (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, face cleanser, etc) when I travel too so I can use/evaluate/toss as I go. 

I'm having a lot of fun with the NARS palette I chose this week, but I'm realizing I don't relaly love NARS eyeshadows. I think I won't be buying anymore in the future. Learning and money saving experience!

So I also started pulling out skincare samples and putting them in the shower so I would remember to use them.  Tried the Vasanti Brighten Up! Cleanser and...

DEAR GOD WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME IT BURNS LIKE THE FIERY WRATH OF HELL!?  I swear I've been reading happy little reviews for months and was overjoyed to get is as part of a Mystery 2 pack.  And now my face is red.  Super-red.  Tomato-red.  I'm going to give it a day or so, and see how my skin does, because if it really will make my skin amazing I can use it when I don't have to go out in public for a few hours.  

Yeeks.  
ditsch.gif
 (hahaha I'm the one on the left)

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I also started pulling out skincare samples and putting them in the shower so I would remember to use them.  Tried the Vasanti Brighten Up! Cleanser and...

DEAR GOD WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME IT BURNS LIKE THE FIERY WRATH OF HELL!?  I swear I've been reading happy little reviews for months and was overjoyed to get is as part of a Mystery 2 pack.  And now my face is red.  Super-red.  Tomato-red.  I'm going to give it a day or so, and see how my skin does, because if it really will make my skin amazing I can use it when I don't have to go out in public for a few hours.  

Yeeks.  
ditsch.gif
 (hahaha I'm the one on the left)
I found it very gentle, lol. I've using origins natural friction for a while now though, so maybe I would no longer feel the same way toward the vasanti.

This week I am starting a derma blend concealer, pixi primer and swear I am going to use my benefit Bella bamba blush exclusively til I hit pan. also working on using up my Mary Loumanizer sample which I did hit pan

Quote: Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I found it very gentle, lol. I've using origins natural friction for a while now though, so maybe I would no longer feel the same way toward the vasanti.

Haha I do have sensitive skin.  That's probably the issue.  

This week I am starting a derma blend concealer, pixi primer and swear I am going to use my benefit Bella bamba blush exclusively til I hit pan. also working on using up my Mary Loumanizer sample which I did hit pan
I just started on a Bella Bamba mini today! I didn't feel like fighting with fine-one-one this morning. I think after this week, f-o-o is going into the spring/summer box. I don't think it's for me right now. And I have stumbled into an eye combination that per my coworker makeup buddy exactly matches my hair and brings out my (basic brown) eyes: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded as base; GDE Morocco on my lids, Brown Eyed Girl in the crease, and Vulnerable on the browbone; and LMdB liner pencil in Tamarac. I'm thinking I will have to change up my colors completely next week, but I will also have to keep this combo in mind for the future.

Double-posting to say: I am going to have to start doing weekly edits on my makeup bag that I keep in my messenger bag! I just dug through it to try to find the mascara sample I could have sworn I had, and I have EIGHTEEN lip products in it -- *not* counting lip balms. And that's just in the main bag, not any of the side pockets, auxiliary bags, or my jacket. But no mascara.

My foil packet to use this week was the Benefit Porefessional. The little sample was enough to do half my face so the other half is the Pixi primer! Should be interesting to see if one wears better than the other at the end of the day. I did like how the Porefessional applied, silky smooth without the oily feel of some primers. 

I have a deluxe sample of that Vasanti brighten up in my stash too. I'll be careful to try on the weekend just in case I have any issues! My skin is mildly sensitive. 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My foil packet to use this week was the Benefit Porefessional. The little sample was enough to do half my face so the other half is the Pixi primer! Should be interesting to see if one wears better than the other at the end of the day. I did like how the Porefessional applied, silky smooth without the oily feel of some primers. 

I have a deluxe sample of that Vasanti brighten up in my stash too. I'll be careful to try on the weekend just in case I have any issues! My skin is mildly sensitive. 

Then you'll be happy to know that my face is MUCH better today - no more red, and my skin is super-smooth and feels amazing!  

I

My foil packet to use this week was the Benefit Porefessional. The little sample was enough to do half my face so the other half is the Pixi primer! Should be interesting to see if one wears better than the other at the end of the day. I did like how the Porefessional applied, silky smooth without the oily feel of some primers.  I have a deluxe sample of that Vasanti brighten up in my stash too. I'll be careful to try on the weekend just in case I have any issues! My skin is mildly sensitive. 
I LOVE Porefessional! It was the first & only primer I've ever used! Silky smooth, a verrry little goes a long way, & it's great for minimizing pores :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I put my Monday items into this box to pick from, I put in a few things that I keep saving for a special occasion or something similar that never arrives, so I decided they need to go in the box to *force* me to use them instead of saving them for an event that never comes. So. This week's item: Sally Hansen nail strips in Lustrous! At least I *think* that's the name of this design. They're black with gold and silver glitter. I thought they would be fantastic for the summer, but I never got around to using them. So now it's time! Well, not *now*. This week. I'll put them on Monday night so I don't wreck them cleaning tomorrow and Monday during the day.

Back