Urban Decay NAKED 3 palette

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the person who said their palette smelled bad..... I didn't notice that until I went in and sniffed the shadows after reading your comment. and now I do notice an odd smell. I mean, it smells chemically, not like it's gone bad or anything. I don't notice it until I put my nose very close and take a whiff! Hahh, so I guess that's good.

Also, to anyone new to N palettes, be careful about bending the mirror back like you see some beauty gurus do on youtube- it won't stand up on it's own anymore. GRRR! If I had known that I wouldn't have done it last night. It's freaking annoying, now I have to prop the mirror up on something. It would be really nice to get a warning about that when people show themselves bending the mirror back all the way. One of the things I really liked about this palette was that the mirror stood up by itself. Now that's completely ruined. I thought since they were beauty gurus they were doing something that wouldn't totally render the mirror useless. EUGHHHHHHH!!!!
3.gif

Maybe I should sell mine and buy a new one. Or return it. I haven't used it yet... I'm too OCD about messing up the pretty pressed pattern on the shadows. I need to go back to Ulta and swatch it on my arm over and over and get some photos.

Ok can someone explain this weird phenomenon?

I keep hearing that the Ns are good for these types of skin:

N1: warm-toned skin

N2: cool-toned skin

N3: neutral and cool-toned skin

And yet, on me (a fair-skinned with pink undertones cool-toned skin person) the N3 looked best (to be expected, I guess?) followed by N1, and N3 looked WORST on me. How is this possible? It doesn't make a lick of sense... unless I'm more neutral than cool-toned? But I seriously doubt that, I think I'm cool-toned all the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Clysdale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My post office is holding my palette hostage.
Oh my gosh, why? I hope you can pick it up! Did they put a slip in your mailbox that makes you actually show up to get it? That's annoying!

I don't buy the "this palette is best for whatever tone and skin colour" thing. I'm neutral, super pale, and the N1 is fine for me. N2 looks gray and I never had interest in it. I only bought N3 because it's pink based. Pinks look best on me.

The skin tone thing is a myth. I am a cool toned skin person but Naked palette looks amazing one me.

Quote: Originally Posted by ddalgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't buy the "this palette is best for whatever tone and skin colour" thing. I'm neutral, super pale, and the N1 is fine for me. N2 looks gray and I never had interest in it.

I only bought N3 because it's pink based. Pinks look best on me.

I agree.  I have had N1 for a while, just got N3 and I think I'm going to get N2 eventually.  I'm neutral with yellow undertones, I have light-medium skin, brown hair and blue eyes and I have found that when I play with these palettes I can find some combination to get the colors to work for me more often than not.  Of course there have been a few dud looks but overall these shadows are far and away better than any other brand I've tried.  I wear eyeshadow almost every single day and I'd so much rather have these palettes than pay for single shadows.  Buck and Smog are the only UD shadows I have bought in singles because I can carry them more easily to travel. 

With the comments about it smelling bad I decided to check mine. There is indeed an odd chemical smell possibly due to the glue used to glue the pans to the palette.

Got mine yesterday - shipping took forever! I love it! I'm a pale skinned redhead with hazel eyes, and I love all the colors. Today I'm wearing Buzz on the lid, Nooner in the crease blended up with Limit. Strange as highlight and Darkside to deepen crease and along the lower lashline. Something about these colors makes my hazel eyes look green.  :)

I've been sniffing my palette, I don't smell anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissKris17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been sniffing my palette, I don't smell anything.
This made me LOL.  Some one has us all sniffing eye shadow!  It just struck me as funny, picturing a bunch of women all over the country in their bathrooms and bedrooms getting ready in the morning, grabbing their palette, bringing it up to their noses and sniffing.  

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This made me LOL.  Some one has us all sniffing eye shadow!  It just struck me as funny, picturing a bunch of women all over the country in their bathrooms and bedrooms getting ready in the morning, grabbing their palette, bringing it up to their noses and sniffing.  
Haha... I know. I felt funny doing it because I sniffed it several times just to be sure.

I'm glad someone else mentioned it, I first noticed mine smelled kind of off because I was using the mirror to apply and when the palette is close to your face I don't think you can even help but smell the shadows.  Mine kind of smells more like bad fruit maybe?  What does bad eyeshadow smell like?  I've since noticed that my naked basics smells the same but my Naked 2 does not. 

I don't own it but could it be the glue holding the palette together. I have smelled glue that smells of spoiled fruit in the past. I need to get to the mail today or tomorrow but I have work to do. I want to see it in person!

So I've been sitting here smelling my palettes, N3 and N2 smell the same, but N1 smells different. My stila palettes definitely smelled super chemically but not like N2 and 3. I think it has to do with the glue to the palette too, since the palette is metal maybe? 

Both Vice palettes smell like N2 and 3. Roller girl palette smells like N1, Anniversary smells closer to N1. None of them smell strong enough that you can tell their is any scent at all until you get your nose all up in there. My conclusion based on also smelling palettes by Stila, Lorac, and Benefit, is that make up smells chemically. lol.

@eastofthesun My N3 palette was never able to stand on it own...the mirror keeps flopping over from the second I opened it so it might just be the way the N3 is constructed? It is pretty annoying since I always have to prop it up on something or hold the palette with one hand while attempting to do my makeup with the other. If others could let us know if they have this problem or if this is just a manufacturing glitch because if it is an error in manufacturing I will probably exchange it too so I can actually use that gigantic mirror which is a huge feature of the palette for me. 

I got my palette in the mail yesterday. Someone from another group was so kind as to pick it up for me in California and send it all the way to New Orleans. I was able to use my Sephora 15.00 off coupon and I paid her to ship it to me (of course!) She wrapped it so nicely and securely and threw in some samples she got. One of the many Santas in this beautiful world! 

I opened it to check to make sure it was not damaged and then I wrapped it up and put it under the tree. I can't wait til Sunday night when I get to play with it! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 

Of course I have been excited since I first saw the colors> i'm not one to jump on a bandwagon unless it is something I think is truly worth it. The rose colors are perfect for fair skin, ash blonde hair and blue eyes. Of copurse with neutrals, anyone can wear these tones. From the photos I love every color up to factory (and I don't care for factory-- too golden brown for me) and then I love the rest! 

Will you Dear Ladies please tell me which color is supposed to be "the dud" with all the glitter fall out? I'm bad at remembering names unless they somehow reflect or relate to the actual color i.e. rose pearl, crimson sun, snow violet. All these literal "urban decay" terms are so depressing but hilarious at times. Especially the double entendres!

xoxox

Jamie Joy

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got my palette in the mail yesterday. Someone from another group was so kind as to pick it up for me in California and send it all the way to New Orleans. I was able to use my Sephora 15.00 off coupon and I paid her to ship it to me (of course!) She wrapped it so nicely and securely and threw in some samples she got. One of the many Santas in this beautiful world! 

I opened it to check to make sure it was not damaged and then I wrapped it up and put it under the tree. I can't wait til Sunday night when I get to play with it! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 

Of course I have been excited since I first saw the colors> i'm not one to jump on a bandwagon unless it is something I think is truly worth it. The rose colors are perfect for fair skin, ash blonde hair and blue eyes. Of copurse with neutrals, anyone can wear these tones. From the photos I love every color up to factory (and I don't care for factory-- too golden brown for me) and then I love the rest! 

Will you Dear Ladies please tell me which color is supposed to be "the dud" with all the glitter fall out? I'm bad at remembering names unless they somehow reflect or relate to the actual color i.e. rose pearl, crimson sun, snow violet. All these literal "urban decay" terms are so depressing but hilarious at times. Especially the double entendres!

xoxox

Jamie Joy

"Dust" is supposed to be the dud!  I happen to love it patted on the center of the lid.  I always do my eye  makeup before my face, so fallout doesn't scare me when I have a primer!

Quote: Originally Posted by coffeecardigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Dust" is supposed to be the dud!  I happen to love it patted on the center of the lid.  I always do my eye  makeup before my face, so fallout doesn't scare me when I have a primer!
Thanks for the quick response! That will be easy to remember-- dust may be dusty! heehee I'm still thrilled to work with these colors. If only the color factory was a medium to dark gray, this might be my absolute perfect palette for an every day look. 

Quote: Originally Posted by ElizabethStreet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My N3 palette was never able to stand on it own...the mirror keeps flopping over from the second I opened it so it might just be the way the N3 is constructed?

Quote: Originally Posted by JuliaGhostx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The whole mirror not standing up on its own thing, that happened to my UD Theodora Oz palette. I think it's the design. 

I don't know, my N3 palette's mirror/lid stood up on its own at the perfect angle from the moment I opened it, but after I pulled the lid back down like the gurus did, it wouldn't ever stay up again. I wish I hadn't have done that. It was stupid of me, but I thought that the design was such that it would go back, since they all did it- I mean, maybe theirs never stood up and that's why the did it?

I don't know why I'm letting it irritate me so much!

Oh and, despite it's being back in stock at UD.com, it's still out of stock at Sephora.com. The weird thing is, when I check my order status it says, 'permanently out of stock' but on the main page for the N3 on Sephora, it just says 'out of stock- email when in stock'. Wonder why it say's 'permanently' on my order status page? I hope that's not true!

Latest posts

Back