What is the worst thing you have gotten in a sub box?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Rubyriot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My December Canadian glossybox had two items (lipgloss and nail polish) that were both Limited edition colours from 2005! The lipgloss was rotten and expired!

I understand I may not like some items, and that's why I get the boxes - I want to try new items before I order them online since I live in a small city.

But EXPIRED items from 7 years ago!? GROSS.
And to "add insult to injury" or whatever that expression is- the replacement products they sent me were old and expired too.

Not as old as the first batch...but the MNY li[ gloss from 2010 and a old Revlon nail polish from 2009 I think.

After that I do not think I can deal with Glossybox Canada, I have no idea where they get those old items from and that is pretty disturbing.

And knowing that they never had any product come directly from Revlon either???

I know for Feb 2013 Glossy sent out Givenchy lip gloss to a lot of people- an improvement I guess, but that does not really want to make me sub.

I've tried so much "high end, designer" makeup it does not thrill me that much 
hehe.gif

Originally Posted by Rubyriot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My December Canadian glossybox had two items (lipgloss and nail polish) that were both Limited edition colours from 2005! The lipgloss was rotten and expired!

I understand I may not like some items, and that's why I get the boxes - I want to try new items before I order them online since I live in a small city.

But EXPIRED items from 7 years ago!? GROSS.

Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another product I did not like receiving was these wipes. I received them from the Good and Lovely box a couple of different times.  I'm sure they are a perfectly fine product, but the packaging embarrassed me, between the name 'SweetSpot', the drawing of a women's body with a heart-shaped ... , and the fact that the wipes came in fragrances like basil grapefruit, geranium lavender, and citrus galbanum.  What's galbanum?  I looked it up, and it is an aromatic gum resin which can be used to give a perfume a 'green' note.  I am shy about these kinds of thing, so I wouldn't want someone to see these in my purse.

7cb6caf5b1afc140_wipes.xlarge.jpg
I looked at Dermstore at this line before- they have all these feminine sprays and rinses that match.

someone must be buying them....

I emailed Klutchclub and mentioned my mask was dried out and their response was that there was enough space in the jar to add more water.....hahaha....really.

That mask had a too seaweedy smell and burned my skin- would not pay $40 for that item.

It is not a sample I would even want to give away to anyone. some samples I try are not for my skin,but family might like them.

For me not a bad product, but def weirdest packaging- Cyberderm sunscreen from Glymm.

The product is great, but their first samples came in a cute cardboard box and were 2 plastic syringes with the sunscreen in them...kind of like they had no other packaging handy??

I'll have to try and find my samples (as I got another set of them!!) and figure how to post a pic.

Originally Posted by amylovescoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The mud mask in the best of klutchclub box. Yuck

Umm, Mommebox sent lube.  Two samples of it to be exact.  Also, the card said the items in the box should be shared with friends and family.  Who in the world am I going to share LUBE with??  So weird.

A new one for me, I just tried it yesterday. The estee lauder mascara that came in a glossybox at some point. I'm not sure if it was dried up or what, but I couldn't even tell I had mascara on and promptly trashed it. 

I've gotten some really strong smelling hand lotions from BB. I don't know why they keep sending me skin care stuff. My profile says nothing about skin care and my skin is super sensitive to fragrance in moisturizer. The one I got in my last box (Alessandro) smells like a  department store perfume counter exploded in it.  Yuck.  I'm so-so on the perfume samples. The majority of them I hate, but I did love the Harvey Prince Ageless.  I save the rest and give them to my mom at holidays - she loves trying them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hated the LiSi cream eyeliner that I got in this month's Glossybox. The color is ok, but it is so hard to apply, and then the color isn't that pigmented, plus it faded within like 2 hours! I guess I'll use it (ok for a natural look or on days when I only have an hour class) but I wouldn't buy.

And to "add insult to injury" or whatever that expression is- the replacement products they sent me were old and expired too. Not as old as the first batch...but the MNY li[ gloss from 2010 and a old Revlon nail polish from 2009 I think. After that I do not think I can deal with Glossybox Canada, I have no idea where they get those old items from and that is pretty disturbing. And knowing that they never had any product come directly from Revlon either??? I know for Feb 2013 Glossy sent out Givenchy lip gloss to a lot of people- an improvement I guess, but that does not really want to make me sub. I've tried so much "high end, designer" makeup it does not thrill me that much  :hehe:
Honestly even with the givenchy lipgloss, the rest of the box was still almost all drug store. Biore face wash - AGAIN. Essence eyeshadow, and a 3$ body wash. There was also a hair oil, but Glossybox in Canada is just terrible lately. Ever since their third box in my opinion. I hate that we pay as much as the USA and don't even have a slightly comparable box. Your replacement items were terrible too! How lame! I didn't even get any, every email I sent they told me they were looking into it, and then they stopped replying. Hahah. Boxes should NEVER EVER contain old expired items. Yuck.

Originally Posted by Clackey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks. It is just something we do as teachers.  I can't even guess on how much I spend out of pocket for my class.  Any donations would be appreciated of unwanted samples, the kids will use anything.  I can give my address at my school if you want to send them there.  I can also provide a donation letter to be used on your taxes for deduction
That is wonderful! Are you doing anything for Mothers Day? 

perfume samples I hate receiving as I find pretty much EVERY one too strong and until quite recently I've hated every one I'd ever had the displeasure of smelling! I prefer body sprays that are lighter and fruit-ire in scent, well a couple weeks ago one of my closest girlfriends was over and changing for a date and sprayed her fairly new perfume from her bf, I sniffed to be polite but was prepared to dislike it and was very surprised to find that not only did I not completely hate it, but I actually liked it! the next day when I went to Macy's i asked for a sample of it since it of course has to be very pricey and I don't think the bottle is nearly as pretty as say Marc Jacobs bottles and toppers, but now I actually really want Prada's Candy perfume which has a MUCH lighter scent. I also hated receiving any of the Luna, larabara, or other bars as I have dietary restrictions and therefore cannot eat any of them (though my younger sister is more than happy to take both the bars and perfume samples off my hands, but she almost always stays way too much so that I can smell it lingering for half an hour plus afterwards! :p ) and foil/single use sample as like others have said, those can be obtained for free elsewhere (I can't remember which one ATM, but one from BB last fall actually had FREE stamped on it!!) and BB is NOT a free service! besides how do they expect me to be able to decide if I would want to buy a product, especially an expensive one if I only try it once?!? doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of these services? and self tanners because like others have also said, I also have light (nicer than just saying pale? maybe?) skin and have NO interest whatsoever in making it darker whether by sunbathing (yeah right, as I burn if outside w/o sunscreen for 15-20minutes) or by artificially making it darker either by self tanners or spray tanning... I also wasn't fond of the lash cards Ipsy sent out in February especially since it counted as an item, if it was a bonus item it wouldn't have bugged me so much and it would be sooooo easy to make ones own out of (no longer needed) business cards ( and I still have yet to get the hang of using the plastic reusable one we got as a bonus item in the November Starlooks Starbox)

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that got d@$! john varvatos (sp) cologne that birchbox puts in WOMEN'S boxes. that really pissed me off.
YES. And I received it shortly after a breakup...I was...less than enthused about that particular little jab.

I think the self tanners (I've gotten Comodynes Towels in BB and Jane Iredale Tantasia in SS) are the worst, but only because they never give you enough product to tan your whole body.  The products themselves were okay, but if I'm going to use self tanner I'd like to have enough in a one time application sample to do all parts of my body that would be visible in summer clothes, if not my entire body.  If not, then it seems a little fruitless.

I'm pretty happy & open to trying anything so the only two things I really didn't like were the Volutes by Diptyque -I can't stand powdery fragrances- & Nicole Richie fragrance which I liked right out of the bottle but after 15 minutes it lost all dimension just smelled like lily & stale patchouli.

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that got d@$! john varvatos (sp) cologne that birchbox puts in WOMEN'S boxes. that really pissed me off.
EEP how could I forget that?  I'm happily coupled off and it annoyed me just the same, if he was interested in samples he'd sign up for samples.  My Birchbox is my little affordable treat to myself.  Rabble rabble.

Spa wrap that compared to my body was kitchen towel sized and a thong I could use as a sling shot
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Spa wrap that compared to my body was kitchen towel sized and a thong I could use as a sling shot
icon_eek.gif
Ha! I had the same issue.  My mom said I could use the thong as a hair scrunchie though.

Back