What is the worst thing you have gotten in a sub box?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EEP how could I forget that?  I'm happily coupled off and it annoyed me just the same, if he was interested in samples he'd sign up for samples.  My Birchbox is my little affordable treat to myself.  Rabble rabble.
ditto. luckily someone requested it via a trade on here even though i'm engaged. my fiance uses ivory soap, nothing more.

So many bad products. I've got Viva la Juicy 3 times in 9 months with BB, I hate it bc it gives me a headache immediately. The men's cologne, gave it to my bf but was not happy. All the nasty protein bars BB sends, I do not want any food stuffs, if I did I would get a food sub. Skin & Roma Body Gel from BB. Idk why everything I've hated has been from BB, I always have 6 or 7 subs at a time. I like perfume samples as long as they're from a niche brand like Harvey Prince, Juliette Has a Gun, Atelier, and things I wouldn't have access to at my local counters. I've never received any of those however, all I get is Juicy over and over again, Nicole Richie, Oscar de la Renta and the like.

You know what?

I think Glossy cheaped out (no surprise) with the Macadamia sample.

I get the Test Tube "box" from the US (i have a US credit card +address) and last year I got the Macadamia 30ml hair oil sample and it came with a 30ml? packet of deep conditioner treatment in a cute cardboard pouch.

-are they waiting till next month? to send out the conditioner packet??

Also some people online are saying the Givenchy lip gloss is separated?

and can not find it for sale anywhere?

a quick look and I see it at Fragrancex, amazon....

True boxes should not have discontinued items.

But if a company wants to sell their discontinued items and is not hiding that fact- that seems ok.

-like if I wanted a nail polish from a 2011 collection and the company who made it said they would check if they had any stock left...but might not??

or if you are at a store and they happen to find a bottle of perfume that was from the season before and was not sent back (and was one I was looking for?).

-that actually happened to me (was looking for Dior Eau Svelte and the dept store happened to have one bottle in a drawer somewhere....

Originally Posted by Rubyriot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly even with the givenchy lipgloss, the rest of the box was still almost all drug store. Biore face wash - AGAIN. Essence eyeshadow, and a 3$ body wash. There was also a hair oil, but Glossybox in Canada is just terrible lately. Ever since their third box in my opinion. I hate that we pay as much as the USA and don't even have a slightly comparable box.

Your replacement items were terrible too! How lame! I didn't even get any, every email I sent they told me they were looking into it, and then they stopped replying. Hahah.
Boxes should NEVER EVER contain old expired items. Yuck.

I completely agree that true box companies should not have discontinued items. The point of the boxes is to find current items and to try them before buying the full size. I'm fine with discontinued items, like you stated, if that's what you're looking for and it's not hidden that it is discontinued. But they should not have old items in these boxes. The worst part about the discontinued items is that the companies were not even affliated with glossy...and that's sketchy. I honestly haven't even looked at my gloss I received yet, so ill have to check when I get home to see if mine is separated. If its really an item you can't buy anywhere, that makes it really disappointing. Now I'm really curious if we're going to get the macadamia deep conditioning sample... I feel like I torture myself with this box. At this moment I'm still subscribed (leaning on cancelling) but I have stopped referring people to this subscription service and recommend any other box (excluding glymm - I don't know what's going on with them either) I'm pretty easy to please and don't expect much, I just want what these boxes promise.

You know what? I think Glossy cheaped out (no surprise) with the Macadamia sample. I get the Test Tube "box" from the US (i have a US credit card +address) and last year I got the Macadamia 30ml hair oil sample and it came with a 30ml? packet of deep conditioner treatment in a cute cardboard pouch. -are they waiting till next month? to send out the conditioner packet?? Also some people online are saying the Givenchy lip gloss is separated? and can not find it for sale anywhere? a quick look and I see it at Fragrancex, amazon.... True boxes should not have discontinued items. But if a company wants to sell their discontinued items and is not hiding that fact- that seems ok. -like if I wanted a nail polish from a 2011 collection and the company who made it said they would check if they had any stock left...but might not?? or if you are at a store and they happen to find a bottle of perfume that was from the season before and was not sent back (and was one I was looking for?). -that actually happened to me (was looking for Dior Eau Svelte and the dept store happened to have one bottle in a drawer somewhere....

I would be upset if I received a discontinued item in my box bc I feel like the point of these services is to discover new/unfamiliar products. I guess if the company disclosed that items were discontinued and therefore discounted it would be up to the individual if they wanted the service, I personally would not subscribe. For the company to not disclose products were purchased from third parties and possibly discontinued or expired is deceptive.

I would be upset if I received a discontinued item in my box bc I feel like the point of these services is to discover new/unfamiliar products. I guess if the company disclosed that items were discontinued and therefore discounted it would be up to the individual if they wanted the service, I personally would not subscribe. For the company to not disclose products were purchased from third parties and possibly discontinued or expired is deceptive.
Yes I completly agree they should never include discontinued items in a box, she mentioned getting discontinued items say at the store, if they have one in the back that she's looking for. That I don't care about, I just want current items in my box because that's what the point of the box is for!!

I'm only subscribed to birchbox & have been for about a year now. The absolute worst thing was an extra, not beauty related: those horrid muffled earbuds. I didn't expect high quality or anything amazing but I didn't expect it to sound so awful.

I think the worst thing I got was cheesy kale chips from bulu box. they were vegan.

nuff said, right?

I really liked those lash cards, haha! The worst thing I've gotten from a sub box was basically everything from the Pink Fancy Box I just got. It had these body paint crayons and my daughter and I had fun drawing on her for about 5 minutes until it smeared everywhere and stained the carpet! It also came with the most boring, strange book I've ever seen. Beauty related would have to be the Harvey Prince Skinny Chic perfume sample I got from BB a few months ago. I thought it smelled awful!

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The single notecard in the Gossip Girl Bb box.
LOL YES.  By far the worst "sample" ever. needless to say i am no longer subbed to Birchbox lol

Wow @ the Diptyque perfume samples. Stinky old man and ashtray... gross! 

I agree that Luna Bars are nasty. You have to be careful to check for worms before you take a bite. Not worth it since they taste pretty bad even without worms. 

And I had no idea that the snail mask was literally made from snail mucus secretions. That is nasty. I could not put that on my face! 

Originally Posted by BlackMagicRose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow @ the Diptyque perfume samples. Stinky old man and ashtray... gross! 

I agree that Luna Bars are nasty. You have to be careful to check for worms before you take a bite. Not worth it since they taste pretty bad even without worms. 

And I had no idea that the snail mask was literally made from snail mucus secretions. That is nasty. I could not put that on my face! 
worms? what worms? i'm creeped out now :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by SnowLeopard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot about the note card from BB, that was a classic.
AND they wouldn't even let us review it and get points for it because it was a "lifestyle extra."

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

worms? what worms? i'm creeped out now :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
right??? I was so confused I did some googling and came across a few people who found worms/larvae in their luna bars. EW.

I'm afraid to watch it for fear I'll get sick, but: 

Originally Posted by jaclynsmusings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perfume samples I hate receiving as I find pretty much EVERY one too strong and until quite recently I've hated every one I'd ever had the displeasure of smelling! I prefer body sprays that are lighter and fruit-ire in scent, well a couple weeks ago one of my closest girlfriends was over and changing for a date and sprayed her fairly new perfume from her bf, I sniffed to be polite but was prepared to dislike it and was very surprised to find that not only did I not completely hate it, but I actually liked it! the next day when I went to Macy's i asked for a sample of it since it of course has to be very pricey and I don't think the bottle is nearly as pretty as say Marc Jacobs bottles and toppers, but now I actually really want Prada's Candy perfume which has a MUCH lighter scent.

I also hated receiving any of the Luna, larabara, or other bars as I have dietary restrictions and therefore cannot eat any of them (though my younger sister is more than happy to take both the bars and perfume samples off my hands, but she almost always stays way too much so that I can smell it lingering for half an hour plus afterwards! :p )

and foil/single use sample as like others have said, those can be obtained for free elsewhere (I can't remember which one ATM, but one from BB last fall actually had FREE stamped on it!!) and BB is NOT a free service! besides how do they expect me to be able to decide if I would want to buy a product, especially an expensive one if I only try it once?!? doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of these services?

and self tanners because like others have also said, I also have light (nicer than just saying pale? maybe?) skin and have NO interest whatsoever in making it darker whether by sunbathing (yeah right, as I burn if outside w/o sunscreen for 15-20minutes) or by artificially making it darker either by self tanners or spray tanning...

I also wasn't fond of the lash cards Ipsy sent out in February especially since it counted as an item, if it was a bonus item it wouldn't have bugged me so much and it would be sooooo easy to make ones own out of (no longer needed) business cards ( and I still have yet to get the hang of using the plastic reusable one we got as a bonus item in the November Starlooks Starbox)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Prada Candy too!  I got a sampler in the mail from ULTA and then yesterday I went and tried the tester.. LOVE!!

Back