Why do women wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif (UV rays are responsible for 80-90% of skin aging which is something cosmetics companies don't tell you). I've always admired her for being a natural looking woman and my wife is like her although she sometimes wears a little bit of makeup on those rare special occasions. My wife is 35, I'm 28 and her skin is also amazing so I'm totally buying the idea that makeup + UV damage from tanning age the skin significantly.. That is why there is an SPF## indicated on many of the skin products. I think almost EVERY commercial dealing with skincare addresses sun damage and sun protection.
sleepyhead.gif

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif What about all those gender bending chemicals in makeup? Nobody is concerned with that? There are studies showing that these chemicals affect the endocrine system of teenage girls and women who are pregnant. A woman who works for my wife and wears a lot of foundation makeup has an 8 year old daughter who got her period for the first time last month. I'm not saying that the makeup during the pregnancy is responsible but it may have been... Research had determined that due to better nutrition, girls are mensing earlier. Poor nutrition in earlier centuries is why girls mensed at 12. The age range is 8-13years.

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not saying that to be sexist, I want to empower women and I want to empower my little girl. Women are naturally beautiful. If men don't need makeup than neither do women. It's all social brainwashing. Women aren't uglier than men and yet that's what most women unconsciously believe. My dear little boy...YOU don't need too empower anyone. We will take what we deserve without your permission. Perhaps get out of the house more and have a good look at the world around you as you have been a shut-in a little too long.

My opinion of this situation is a give and take. As someone who's ended up dating a few women over the years who specifically detested makeup, I can say that I see a significant natural beauty in a lady who doesn't necessarily /have/ to, or just chooses not to put on makeup every day. Those women over the years were very pretty in their own rights, and most of them were generally confident in their day to day presentation. However, in contrast, There have been one or two I knew that were very concerned about the way they looked, and always had to have something on their face to smooth out their complexion, accent their eyes, etc. etc. Did I feel it was unnecessary? So-so. Nearly all the women I'm speaking of preferred to don the warpaint for special events of course. Did I find them beautiful and attractive either way? Absolutely.

Now, *chuckles*, I must admit, I fall into somewhat of the same category as Karren for personal reasons, and now _I_ am the one who ends up putting on even just a little foundation every day, maybe a little mascara and some lip gloss just to go to the store or work.. Of course, in my case, presentation is more of a key point... I'm not complaining, (Oh PLEASE, are you kidding me??) believe me. After watching ladies in makeup for SO many years, I was feening for the right to be able to be just like them, much to my current partner's dismay. She is one who prefers NOT to wear makeup at most any time (being a cook for a living), but does seem to enjoy, from time to time, applying to suit the situation. Her complaint is that, because of my situation being a nearly fully 'out' transwoman, being able to be accepted for who you feel you are means a lot more blending is necessary (both in social situations AND in foundation colors.. ;-} ) and the more I pass for the average woman walking by, the less double-takes I get. So on days when she doesn't WANT to wear makeup, she feels out-of-sorts because I am. *shrug* Talk about an inverted Catch22 - never saw that one coming.

What are these gender bending chemicals in makeup that cause girls to get their periods earlier?

What is actually believed to be causing menses sooner in girls is due to hormones in the food we eat. The beef that your daughter eats, the milk that she drinks is likely to be pumped full with estrogen. If you want to avoid early menses in your daughter, I suggest you start feeding her food that touts not having extra hormones added. They are pricier but probably worth it and I will be doing this for any children I have in the future.

Further, some women just have great skin. It's called genetics. Of course you should protect your skin as much as possible from sun damage, but this won't stop some women from getting acne, bags under their eyes, wrinkles, whatever. Some of us are just unluckier than others. Ask the many boys in high school who don't know the first thing about makeup who are having massive breakouts or the women who happen to breakout a week before their period.

I don't wear much makeup at the house. If I am not leaving the house and just going to lay around the house, bareface it is. However, I have found that if I will get up and do my makeup, I am much less likely to just lay around, even if it is just a bit of foundation and some eye liner.

I wear mineral foundation and actually feel that it is good for my skin and acts as a bit of an extra sunblock. I have oily skin on my face and cannot wear sunscreen there without feeling like an oily mess and breaking out.

For me it almost turns into a mental game (but nothing to do with being attractive, etc.) No makeup and there is nothing stopping me from laying around, watching tv or napping. Light makeup means time to get out of bed and get some stuff done. Add a bit more and that means I am prepared to leave the house to go to work or to a store where I have a good chance of running into someone I know. Heavy makeup means that I am attending something special or ready for a night on the town.

My husband sees my every way and it doesn't seem to effect him one way or the other. I kind of think he is a bit the same way with clothes though. Start out in what you slept in - so, probably shorts and no shirt. Put on a shirt and shoes and you are ready to do stuff around the house or run errands like Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply or the hardware store. Make sure clothes are neat and clean and you are ready for work or for running errands in town. Shirt tucked in, slightly nicer jeans, some cologne, and he is ready for something special or a night on the town.

i can say its the same as question as why ppl dress up!

for me, make up is like dressing up. when i feel like i want to look my best. i put on a good outfit and top it off with good makeup.

nothing about beautifying myself or insecurities :S

I wear makeup becasue I enjoy it. I like playing around with different colours, different products etc etc. I don't wear that much makeup in the house but i do when I go out on a night out but there would be the odd day where I dont wear any at all.

I get bad skin days like every other girl and I am consious of that when I go out. I don't want people to see a hige pimple on my forehead when they are talking to me so I cover it up with makeup. I do admit that these days more than before there is a lot more emphasis on how women look today and we can fall victim from it but women are not the only ones either. Men can too fall victim to this I don't see why women are always tarnished with oh why do you need so much makeup?, why do you need all those shoes? why all the handbags? Beacuse IT MAKES US HAPPY!

My tuppence worth anyway!

OMG!!! I wasn't going to respond, but I couldn't resist. I am a female that is very confident and will has no problem going out without makeup (scars and all) so the generalizations are ludicrous.

I wonder if this self righteous individual is eating these hormone and chemical filled foods that they sell in every store. I agree with previous poster, STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT HORMONE FILLED FOODS are more than likely the culprit of the early onset of menses. And as a female it could have also been genetics. Has that even been considered? It is a million times more likely that is due to either food or genetics that girls are having these issues not because of makeup.

What about the all natural product lines? The thousands of women who have never worn makeup but make daily stops to get their kids happy meals.

The real issue is that this guy has a poor image of females and that is a personal problem. Plenty of women have beautiful skin who wear and dont wear makeup. My mom for one wore makeup for years and has beautiful skin. 55 and looks 40, why, genetics and skin care. While I have adult acne I have been told that I have beautiful skin and I have never felt insecure or any of the above. Maybe the original poster should try spending time with women other than his mom and step into reality.

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm spilling the beans here and telling you ladies that yes men like to look at women like Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox but they don't respect them. They find these women attractive in a superficial sense... they see them as women who are desperate for male attention and can be easily manipulated. When we look at women who are all dolled up, it screams INSECURITY and EASY. We see that they don't find themselves pretty enough to be confident about their natural looks. Sorry but
kopfkratz.gif

a)I don't understand

or

b)What you're saying is stupid

I don't think Megan or Kim are beautiful (for me they are not)- I prefer other type pf beauty like Rosie Tupper, Abbey Lee Kershaw...but I do respect Kim and Megan. They are not only faces.

I look like a little girl- have child face and I wear make up no make up.

So everyone should respect me
wink.gif

But If I use red lipstick and black e/s that "respect" will gonna dissapear....?

If yes- that was not respect.

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif (UV rays are responsible for 80-90% of skin aging which is something cosmetics companies don't tell you). Poor you, you have no idea how SILLY and STUPId you sound right now. Do some research on cosmetic companies if you can't get your story straight. UV rays are the reason why cosmetic companies are putting sunscreams in all their prodcts like foundation, primers, facecream and even on lip products. The suncream that you put on this morning before you step out, who do you think provide that? It's the cosmetic companies that you have been bashing on. And if you think women are spending too much money on cosmetic and not using their money wisely you are wrong, again do some research before you talk, recent studies have proven that more women are entering universities than men. Women are not only landing better jobs/position than men, we have more responsibilities both at home and in the work force. The points that you have made are so in the past and they are just plain silly and sexist. Maybe you need to educate yourself more and actually be around real women. If you are using the cosmetic companies as an excuse to put women down, this is NOT the place for you. We women do not put on makeup because we want to impress men, we do it for ourselves as an enjoyment, if you think that women are spending too much time on cosmetic, I can say the same about guys who spend long hours playing video games that give them absolutely no benefits. Sorry to disappoint you, but men today do not rule the world this is the 21st centry in case you have been hiding in your cave for too long, women are just as capable of doing what men can do.

Wow, some amazing ideas!

Anyway, I too am a male - straight as an arrow, and have just recently began to use makeup. I love it, my wife loves it and helps me with it. My only complaint is that unfortunately, we still live in a culture that frowns on men wearing make up.

I by no means, color myself up to be a barbie doll; I just use enough to cover my blemishes and add some natural colors. And as for the question "why do women wear make up"? It could be because they are and have always been far better at taking care of themselves than men.

I have only two years experience using skin care products but one of the first things I learned is that done correctly, makeup and skin care products will protect AND beautify your skin.

As for the culture hang ups - if you're one of those who skowl at men wearing make up, please lighten up. This happened to me recently at a womens' meeting I attended with my wife. I felt so terrible; I just wanted to crawl under a rock and hide but had to endure the entire meeting before I could escape.

Wow I think anyone who has such strong feelings like that must have some inner issue. Maybe you should pick up some eyeshadow and have fun.

Originally Posted by willowrock61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif As for the culture hang ups - if you're one of those who skowl at men wearing make up, please lighten up. This happened to me recently at a womens' meeting I attended with my wife. I felt so terrible; I just wanted to crawl under a rock and hide but had to endure the entire meeting before I could escape. I have no qualms as long as it is flattering - man or woman...makeup should be flattering. I dated a guy that wore foundation, eyeliner and bronzer. It wasn't a problem. Its good you have the support of the one you love, that's all that matters anyways.

Oh please. In all these posts you've posted, you've sounded nothing but disrespectful. Do you really think everything women do is 100% bearing the thoughts of men in their mind? If so, wow. That does sound narrow minded. And you yourself said your wife wears makeup sometimes, and she probably wears it a lot more than you think. Do you call your wife easy when she wears makeup? I know several females that are the furthest thing from easy that wear makeup daily, some of them even, *gasp* wear visible makeup.

I remember the line from an old Genesis song, "Concealing to appeal"

I think that sums it up pretty well, enhance what natural beauty you have and conceal any flaws. Makeup can be dramatic or just subtle. Too much and you look like a clown at worst or a caricature of a woman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The comment about Kim Kardashian or Megan Fox is a bit flawed. A lot of guys find them attractive, but their public personas is another matter. They come off as aloof, pretentious and self-absorbed. Unless you are dating in those circles most guys will never really truly know what these women are like.

well

talking about industries

u should first answer to yourself, why are men so dedicated to expensive cars, home cinemas, gadgets, and then discuss about a few thousand euro's hobby (cause that s what it s about) like makeup addiction.....

certainly, talkin in consumation terms, any hobby could cost an amount of money and a part of the industry business would take advandage of this...

same thing with make up products. of course there is a hudge propaganda behind it that forces as all makeup addicts to buy more....and we do it gladlly
smile.gif
)))

dont u?

r u still living in a cave?

dont u wear nice suits, drulling for a new car, buy the best seats for your favorite team, or wish u could do all of the above?

it s simple

if makeup was a way for us to seem prettier to men, a little purse of products would be more than enough. spending a big amount of our income, "studing" and discussing about it in a daily basis,practicing even when we are alone or having a coffee with our girlfriends, proves that it is "our thing":a preference, an addiction, a hobby, a break, u name it...

as for respecting or not, women that wear make up, or/and try about their looks,

i m happy to inform u that recently (the last 60 years at least) women are being respected for their character, their studies, their carriers, their opinion, their contribution to family and to the society, but not for their make up base.....(pathetic thought)

Originally Posted by StakeEdward /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wait. What? Women who like to wear makeup don't get PhD's or start businesses as a result of spending time on their makeup? Look at the ceo of bare minerals.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif The companies that market these products are basically saying that women are naturally ugly and need to wear chemicals on their faces in order to be presentable. They won't tell you that directly, but that is the message: women are ugly without makeup. Isn't that pathetic?
When we look at women who are all dolled up, it screams INSECURITY and EASY.

It's sad yes, that I and (obviously not all but some) people DO feel ugly without makeup...but why call us pathetic? It's sad, but there's no need to judge people if they do have insecurities.
& If women wear the amount of makeup that Kim Kardasian does, to me it doesn't mean they're only trying to look pretty. It means they like how it looks, whether its different or not - that's the impression I get. I highly doubt Taylor Momsen puts all that black eyeshadow on because she feels ugly without it - but its part of her style.

& Makeup doesn't make someone easy. : )

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do sometimes think that I am just the kind of "target" the makeup industry wants. I don´t see myself as beautiful without makeup. Cute, but not beautiful. And in my eyes, cute isn´t enough, so if I can put makeup on to look better (mainly to myself) then I will. I feel the exact same way.....

I never used to wear make-up when I was younger, and when I did, I was SO afraid that people would judge me "for wearing too much make-up".

Now I've learned to actually apply make-up to ENHANCE my face and my features, it makes me feel SO confident and beautiful.

It's not necessarily the "make-up" we (or I) are obsessed with, it's how it enhances our features.

now riddle me this, why are guys so into sports? There's absolutely NO point to it!!! Checking scores online?? WTF?

IT'S FUN!!

You look different when you put it on, and in some cases feel prettier and sexier!
smile.gif

Back