Why do women wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by TizzyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree with you. I'm a woman and I never wear makeup. While I believe to each their own, I think women need to get off the make-up train and embrace their natural look! Why do people say makeup "brings out the features"? Were your features hidden before you put on makeup? What, you couldn't see your eyelids before you smeared 3 colors on it? Or your lips were invisible before dousing it in lipstick? COME ON! Y'all know that whole "bringing out features" rationale is nonsense. Your features are there already and I'll bet they look fine if only y'all would believe that and stop believing Cover Girl, Maybelline, and all those other cosmetic companies digging in your pockets and breaking down your self-esteem
Hmmm, you just joined a forum called Makeuptalk and your first posting is in support of the OP saying that you never wear makeup and think that women shouldn't wear makeup?

Methinks we're dealing with a sockpuppet here.  
plthumbsdown.gif

Carol

Women and girls wear makeup as a form of self-expression. It is fun to play around with different colours and experiment with new looks.

It makes you feel better and look better when your complexion is even and you have a hint of rosy cheeks.

Women wear makeup because they want too, not because cosmetic companies are forcing them too.

Cultures of men and women have worn makeup and cosmetics for thousands of years. Many still do, including the men.

It is a form of self expression. It is fun. Simple as that.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As shocking as it may seem to you, many women wear makeup to express themselves & because it's fun to play around with. Not all of us are insecure or trying to impress men or win your approval.

I dont wear makeup to 'attain an impossible standard of beauty', or whatever that guy said... I wear it to project to the world how I feel inside. Inner beauty isnt riddled with acne scars and dark under eye circles. Personally, Im not trying to feel sexy or hot or whatever, I just want to look like how I feel I should look. Its funny some of these trolls suggest men absolutely hate when women wear makeup....my husband fully supports my makeup hobby, he actually thinks its really cool! He loves me no matter what, but he (like some men Im sure) is ok knowing their woman likes looking GOOD. Most importantly, he knows its something that I like to do, so he FULLY supports it. I know guys like these trolls who are always talking trash on women who wear makeup, but are the first to make a nasty remark when a bare faced woman crosses their path. Theres a difference between dipping your head in product and actually applying it properly. Guys say the want women to have the 'natural' look, and to them they think natural is bare faced. When in reality, the 'natural' they think they are describing is just a 'natural look'. IE: Just a bit of powder, neutral eyeshadow and some mascara. I normally dont feed the trolls, but this is just ridiculousness.

Women wear make-up for other women.

It's a power-play display. Women are very terrirorial and make-up is their way of establishing an unspoken hierarchy. (Respect me and back down) Yeah, you can call it whatever you want: Wearing it for self-esteem, confidence, vanity, pride, ego, or whatever "emotional" tag to feel fit to attach yourself to. But behind the emotion, lies the bare-bones motivation of establishing a dominant role within a group using a visual hierarchy cue called colour. It's also why women don't use their T&A (another weapon or tool in her arsenal) around other women to establish or achieve the same goal.

I wear it simply because I like it. There's no real psychology behind it, for me anyway,  I just like it. There are many times I'll stay at home and play in makeup and create new looks just to mess around and I won't even go anywhere. I just really like makeup, always have.

I know the original troll is long gone, but I can't resist:

scream3.gif
Different women wear makeup for different reasons!
pissoff.gif

Anyone trying to pin down why "all" women wear makeup isn't going to be successful. Just like anyone trying to pin down why all people with a common activity participate in that activity.

I wear makeup for three reasons. 1. To enhance my natural beauty on some days, 2. In a decorative manner other days, and 3. Because I enjoy having a makeup hobby, from the aqcuisition to the application.

Other women wear cosmetics for a thousand different reasons, some common ones include:

• They feel obligated, and only wear it for work (good luck getting a job in most retail fields barefaced)
  • They feel obligated, and wear it socially
  • They genuinely enjoy wearing it for a variety of reasons, as other posters have said
  • Wearing it boosts their self-confidence
  • They enjoy applying it themselves and having done a gorgeous job
  • They're reviewers/MUA's/bloggers trying out a product
  • As a status symbol or a territorial thing, as Vogueboy said. I'd bet hard cash he sees a lot of very obvious cases of it.
  • To enhance natural beauty, as several other posters have said.
  • To cover up real or perceived imperfections, as other posters have said
  • To stand out, to show their individuality (goths are an extreme example, but every shadow I own reflects my individual tastes)
  • Cultural tradition,  a lot of cultures have traditional wedding makeup, traditional makeup for different ceremonies, etc

These are just off the top of my head.  From that list, there are seven different reasons that have applied to me at one time or another. So there's no ONE reason why women wear makeup, there isn't even ONE reason why an individual woman wears makeup.

And cultural tradition arguably applies to a lot of Western women, even though I was thinking of Eastern cultures initially. There's a certain look that's traditional for work, for prom, for different sorts of dates, for a bar or night club, for a wedding guest or the bride herself. I know from my younger years that skateparks and basement music shows have cosmetic appearance codes.

Please don't misunderstand me and assume I'm saying ALL women wear makeup due to social norms. I personally went barefaced for most of high school, most of college, and most of my life up until six months ago, when makeup actually became interesting to me. I know for a fact that a lot of women who don't want to wear it say "to hell with your stupid expectations" and only wear it when they'll enjoy wearing it. 

The fact that women are judged for wearing makeup, or not, is still an unfortunate reality. Sexism isn't over, it's just a largely cultural battle now, in addition to the civil rights battle. Since equality is another one of my interests, this is something I think about and read about. Women are still expected to wear makeup more often than men. Makeup is still seen as a women's thing, when in reality there are plenty of men who identify as men, who do not identify as trans women, who wear it. Most people, when they hear "Man wearing makeup" will think of a stereotype of a trans person or a stereotype of a female impersonater ("drag queen") when there are plenty of men who wear it in a more traditionally feminine fashion for fun occasionally, or wear concealer, lip and eye products, etc. But this is a whole social rights and norms can of worms that I'm not trying to get into too deeply. My point is, women are still expected to wear makeup, while men are not. Our society is still very superficial.

Anyway, I know y'all are thinking "Oh god it's that girl who posts really long posts, someone shut her up" so I'm ending this post.

For me, I started and used to wear it because my ex boyfriend told me I look ugly and I needed to start using makeup, so I did. After we broke up, I stopped using as much, but I enjoy collecting them because I'm a sucker for limited edition items. lol.

I wear makeup because I like to look pretty on occasion 
rolleyes.gif
  (and it takes a lot!).  

Seriously, buying, trying, and playing with makeup is a lot of fun!  Everyone, male or female, likes to look good and to do little things to feel good about themselves.  (Why do ya think the old, bald, pot bellied guys drive around in little sports cars????  
smile.gif
 )  But with that said, if you women wear makeup because it makes YOU feel good - more power to you.  If you wear it because you think you HAVE to for someone else, be it other women or a guy, don't!  There are other, real friends and partners out there that don't need you to wear makeup for THEIR reasons!  

Okay, that will be 25 cents. . .

Hugs,

Debby

I was SO happy to find this forum and particularly this thread. I was thinking today that maybe there was something strange about me (Well, that is probably still true in MANY other areas of my life.). I really only seriously "re-found" makeup in a big way a few months ago and I am almost addicted to using it now. Not for any one else, but because I love the simple act of applying makeup. Before, I knew I liked using makeup, but I don't think I knew enough to make the most of it all. So lately I have been reading, researching and revising all sorts of ways to apply makeup and the ways to look after my skin and I am finding it all extremely interesting. Finding out where shadows fall on your face, how and WHY to contour, which colours bring out my green eyes (purple!), which colours and application styles are more flattering for mature skin, etc. For me, using makeup has many benefits. It certainly makes me look better - but I don't actually consciously apply it for other people. I simply like my appearance to be 'better' in my eyes. Putting makeup on can also make me feel better. If I have a cold, or haven't slept well, I know that the least I can do is "fake it" so that people don't tell me all day that I look sick. And one of the biggest reasons lately is that I find it extremely therapeutic. I love getting all of my "equipment" out, settling myself down at the table in front of my lit-up mirror and getting to work painting another portrait. That may sound corny, but that is truly how it feels. I may not be another Picasso, but I try to not end up looking like HE has done my makeup. Anyway, for my first post this is more like a novel, but I just want to thank many of you for making me feel at home. I have found today that it is OK to use makeup simply for the enjoyment of it, and not because I am a tart. Phew! That thought could have been weighing heavily on my mind all night - now I shall sleep peacefully.

I wear makeup for the same reason I paint:  because it's my art and I like it.  If I wore makeup for society , I definitely would NOT wear some of the stuff I wear.  The same goes for my tattoos, piercings, and clothing.  I wear things for me.  If all I wanted was attention, I would throw on a wedding gown, stick a frying pan on my head, and run down the street screaming. 

Ok, I may do that anyway.  Sounds like it might be a fun photoshoot.

Personally, I've always thought that people who were hung up on being "empowered" where usually overcompensating for not being so.  If you're worried about it that much, chances are you're not the best person to try to teach anyone it.

Every morning my boyfriend always tells me to "Take that crap off your face!" and my response is always "I don't wear it for you! So leave my realm". Women wear makeup as a way to further express themselves and what their personality is. It's like wearing clothes, or shoes. It's stupid and practically comical to believe/think that a woman wears makeup for A MAN! that's very egotistical of men to think. Father's should be proud that their daughters are expressing themselves, instead of just going with the norm and being carbon copies of other women. It's sad that men think so little of any form for a girl to show who she is, after all most men just want women to STILL stay at home and do their laundry and make sandwiches. To hell with that!

Originally Posted by KatieM12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every morning my boyfriend always tells me to "Take that crap off your face!" and my response is always "I don't wear it for you! So leave my realm". Women wear makeup as a way to further express themselves and what their personality is. It's like wearing clothes, or shoes. It's stupid and practically comical to believe/think that a woman wears makeup for A MAN! that's very egotistical of men to think. Father's should be proud that their daughters are expressing themselves, instead of just going with the norm and being carbon copies of other women. It's sad that men think so little of any form for a girl to show who she is, after all most men just want women to STILL stay at home and do their laundry and make sandwiches. To hell with that!
I don't think any guy or girl would be able to get me to 1)stay home, 2)do their laundry or 3)make them sammiches.  I like to work, I pay out my laundry and housekeeping and I don't even make myself sandwiches/lunches let alone for others.  I haven't had trouble finding people to date who understand give and take in a relationship, so NBD.

I like wearing makeup for myself.  I like the looks, I like the confidence and I like the creativity.  I try to think less why I enjoy it, and spend more time enjoying it.

why do men play with cars?

its dumb - of course it is. both are: cars and make-up. its education.

as a man i do like a bit of make-up sometimes - shake things up a bit - get a bit of attention when i had a bit of something in my tea and i'm out for a party.

oh and no, wearing make-up isn't creative, and it isn't 'for you'. just like wearing a great outfit isn't a statement, just like wearing a brironi doesn't make you sean connery's james bond. it's all advertising and education, role modelling and all that stuff... oh and just because one isn't aware why we are doing something doesn't mean it isn't subconsciously the reason for doing so. of course make-up has every little thing to do with seduction, just like wearing tight jeans is for a man. anyone who says that "i just do it for myself' should go back to school and read up on edward bernays - after all it is him who made women start smoking cigarettes (yes indeed women didn't smoke until this man single handedly made a point about the power of advertising by taking the bet that he could make women smoke out of fashion; when up until then it was considered an un-lady thing to do: look it up; google: BBC, century of the self. that may seem like beside the point - but it isn't. that's exactly the point - we are all products of advertisers and our society at large.

cheers.

Originally Posted by jacobwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and no, wearing make-up isn't creative, and it isn't 'for you'. just like wearing a great outfit isn't a statement, just like wearing a brironi doesn't make you sean connery's james bond. it's all advertising and education, role modelling and all that stuff... oh and just because one isn't aware why we are doing something doesn't mean it isn't subconsciously the reason for doing so. of course make-up has every little thing to do with seduction, just like wearing tight jeans is for a man. 
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you proclaim that all other people who have an opinion that clashes with yours are wrong, you lose all credibility, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps you just joined in order to do a bit of trolling? 

Carol

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you proclaim that all other people who have an opinion that clashes with yours are wrong, you lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. 

Carol
Carol thank you for your point - but - you are using the ad hominem fallacy: attacking the person's character or trait or form of reasoning instead of engaging with the argument...

I am indeed saying that certain arguments are false - based on communications  theory and my limited, though somewhat founded knowledge of freud and the experiments his nephew berneys did - the guy who invented 'public relations'.

Now I'm happy to hear what you have to say about that - perhaps I misquoted someone or made a mistake in my argument. However that is as far as I will argue with someone who is using at least one common logical fallacy. Unfounded opinions can be submitted to Jack Cafferty at CNN - at least he pretends to care...

Originally Posted by Carol D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you proclaim that all other people who have an opinion that clashes with yours are wrong, you lose all credibility, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps you just joined in order to do a bit of trolling? 

Carol
Carol thank you for your point - but - you are using the ad hominem fallacy: attacking the person's character or trait or form of reasoning instead of engaging with the argument...

I am indeed saying that certain arguments are false - based on communications  theory and my limited, though somewhat founded knowledge of freud and the experiments his nephew berneys did - the guy who invented 'public relations'.

Now I'm happy to hear what you have to say about that - perhaps I misquoted someone or made a mistake in my argument. However that is as far as I will argue with someone who is using at least one common logical fallacy. Unfounded opinions can be submitted to Jack Cafferty at CNN - at least he pretends to care...

Back