Why do women wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wear it a) because its fun B) because it makes me look prettier c) its apart of my style 

I LOVE IT!!

i have so much fun buying it , getting new colours trying out new lipsticks 

hearing my bf give me compliments , trying out new techniques 

its just fun 

Whether you love makeup or you do it to enhance the process is a reliver for me, as i am capable to create and experiment within my own space. I am in control, when doing a face i envision and then put into reality whatever i choose using my tools and colours in front of me. A real way to be an artist.

My mother who is 53, never wore any makeup and women keep asking her what her secret is for beautiful skin and she just tells them that she never wears makeup and she swears that it has kept her skin beautiful throughout the years. She takes great care of it and protects it from the sun (UV rays are responsible for 80-90% of skin aging which is something cosmetics companies don't tell you). I've always admired her for being a natural looking woman and my wife is like her although she sometimes wears a little bit of makeup on those rare special occasions. My wife is 35, I'm 28 and her skin is also amazing so I'm totally buying the idea that makeup + UV damage from tanning age the skin significantly.

Some people do have natural good looking skin. I have a friend who doesn't wear sun protection, nor take care of her skin specially with a specific cleanser, she uses the same bathing soap on her face as she does her body but her skin looks great. Have said that, her mother's skin looks amazing too with minimal care, its probably hereditary. I have known women who wear makeup and have great skin, and I've known women who don't and have bad skin so I would say not wearing makeup doesn't nessasarily allows you to have good skin.
The beauty industry is a 35 billion dollar a year industry and most consumers are women. Can you imagine how rich and powerful women would be if they used all that money to start women-owned businesses or getting their Ph.Ds? While women spend hours playing with makeup, talking about makeup and spending money on makeup, men start businesses and rule the world. I'm not saying that to be sexist, I want to empower women and I want to empower my little girl. Women are naturally beautiful. If men don't need makeup than neither do women. It's all social brainwashing. Women aren't uglier than men and yet that's what most women unconsciously believe.

I would say the love some women have for makeup is like how some men love computer games or IT gadgets, they too spend alot of money on their hobbies don't they? Besides, the women in important positions of power are increasing even as we speak so I wouldn't say a woman's hobby of makeup hinders progress in her career. As with all things, this is about personal choice, and the least any other person can do is to respect it.

The question of why women wear makeup is a fair one. In fact, not asking this question is actually more fascinating. When I was in grad school I had the compulsion to study this socially inexplicable phenomenon. I found that nobody had an answer to the question. So I was forced to abandon the thesis. Women DO NOT know why they paint their faces...period. All answers to the question amount to a defensive stance. For a woman to provide a viable explanation to the inquisition, she would have to have interrogated the phenomenon with clear objectivity beginning with herself. The best woman to ask is the woman who does NOT paint her face. She knows why she does not. Makeup, I have determined, is a psycho-social event in which most women participate inadvertently; contrary to intellectual defensive posturing. Even the best among intelligent women are inexplicably implicated. Because emotions are not tools of reason. If you asked American women to desist from makeup for 7 days, they would declare war. It is categorically unconscionable that no researcher, as yet, has perused the protracted psychological implications of makeup or the intrinsic  emotional damage rendered by the practice. I suspect that the eventual rejection of makeup shall only be possible by the highest self-actualized women in the distant evolutionary future.

-Godfrey Silas

why everybody think we are insecure about our appearance? make up its a vestige of body painting, like indians, tattoo, etc...

it is about look even more beautiful then we are, like a beaty ritual or something. Its the same reason we take a shower, use perfume, deodorant. Why do you wear some nice clothes when youre in a date? to look and feel even better! you complain about the chemical products, but you eat fast food, its bad for your health too! this conversation is just ridiculous, unnecessary....

The question of why women wear makeup is a fair one. In fact, not asking this question is actually more fascinating. When I was in grad school I had the compulsion to study this socially inexplicable phenomenon. I found that nobody had an answer to the question. So I was forced to abandon the thesis. Women DO NOT know why they paint their faces...period. All answers to the question amount to a defensive stance. For a woman to provide a viable explanation to the inquisition, she would have to have interrogated the phenomenon with clear objectivity beginning with herself. The best woman to ask is the woman who does NOT paint her face. She knows why she does not. Makeup, I have determined, is a psycho-social event in which most women participate inadvertently; contrary to intellectual defensive posturing. Even the best among intelligent women are inexplicably implicated. Because emotions are not tools of reason. If you asked American women to desist from makeup for 7 days, they would declare war. It is categorically unconscionable that no researcher, as yet, has perused the protracted psychological implications of makeup or the intrinsic  emotional damage rendered by the practice. I suspect that the eventual rejection of makeup shall only be possible by the highest self-actualized women in the distant evolutionary future.

-Godfrey Silas
I totally disagree with you. I KNOW why i wear make up. thats nothing to do with social rules, or something, its about how i feel about my self, cause i dont give a $#@% about what others thinks about my flaws. I dont try to cover my flaws, i try to play with colors and textures, i try to look appropriate to each occasion, to look more awake, healthy. But i dont have any problems with going out without no make up on. i do that almost everyday.

You're a troll and the fact you made such a thread screams "attention seeking" and "insecure" not to mention "superficial" and "condescending". It is a makeup forum and makeup is a scientifically safe medium that allows you to enhance your looks without needles, drugs, or risks. The sun causes cancer, but can you really live without it? Stop trying to bash makeup and those that wear it to up your green cinco stance.

And I suspect that only the highest form of male will learn how to pick up after themselves, stop farting and burping in public, learn that watching sports doesn't count as actually playing the sport, stop ogling at girls young enough to be their daughters, put their pride behind themselves, among other things in the distant evolutionary future.

-CharmedimSure

This game is fun!

Originally Posted by Godfrey Silas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suspect that the eventual rejection of makeup shall only be possible by the highest self-actualized women in the distant evolutionary future.

-Godfrey Silas

The first thing I want people to see when they look at my face is my eyes and not my bright red cheeks and blackheads.  I use my makeup to enhance the features I like the most and to hide the parts I don't like.  I love to experiment with colors and I just have fun with it.  It's art.  It's a hobby.  Girls enjoy pretty things and making themselves look pretty.  Without makeup I feel totally exposed but I don't feel ugly.  I'm so used to wearing makeup as a part of social normalcy that without it I just feel like I'm naked!  I have oily skin and it's my choice to apply some powder instead of making social connections with an oil slick on my forehead.  Everyone judges you on looks to some extent.  Looking good and well groomed tells people that you give a damn.  When you look like a cavewoman or someone who just rolled out of bed people don't take you as seriously.  It's deeply rooted in our culture, especially today.  Right now the hippie look is really not popular.  What is popular is looking healthy, clean, well groomed, and looking the best that you possibly can.  The women that go overboard with plastic surgery are the insecure ones.  I don't wear makeup to please anyone but myself.  I have my own definition of what looks good and how I want to present myself to others.  When I do makeup I usually do it as an artistic outlet for my creativity and sometimes I'm just trying to achieve a certain look that matches how I feel inside.  I don't wear makeup to please boys or because I feel insecure.  I think boys should wear makeup if they feel like it without being afraid of the "oh my god you're so gay!" remarks.  I hope for a more acceptable world compared to how it is now.  But people will be people.  I would love to see guys wear dark colored nail polish and eyeliner and cover up their acne and maybe put a little effort into it instead of being so judgemental about girls looks and putting girls down.  They should go look in the mirror.

For myself, I tend to put makeup into two categories: "Grooming" and "Art". For the same reason I wouldn't go about my day in my PJ's with my hair uncombed, I fill in my brows, darken my lashes, define my eyes, and conceal blotchyness/bumps/dark circles. It makes me look more presentable! Other times, I like to express myself with colours, thicker lashes, and shiny lipgloss. It's fun, just like a party dress or cute hair accessories! :]

I certainly feel more confident with clean combed hair and foundation, and sometimes I want to feel different with an unusual outfit and dramatic eyeshadow.

(I think the creator of this topic was trollin', but it's interesting to hear what people say.)

soap.gif
You said it well!

Originally Posted by ColorMeQuickly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG!!! I wasn't going to respond, but I couldn't resist. I am a female that is very confident and will has no problem going out without makeup (scars and all) so the generalizations are ludicrous.

I wonder if this self righteous individual is eating these hormone and chemical filled foods that they sell in every store. I agree with previous poster, STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT HORMONE FILLED FOODS are more than likely the culprit of the early onset of menses. And as a female it could have also been genetics. Has that even been considered? It is a million times more likely that is due to either food or genetics that girls are having these issues not because of makeup.

What about the all natural product lines? The thousands of women who have never worn makeup but make daily stops to get their kids happy meals.

The real issue is that this guy has a poor image of females and that is a personal problem. Plenty of women have beautiful skin who wear and dont wear makeup. My mom for one wore makeup for years and has beautiful skin. 55 and looks 40, why, genetics and skin care. While I have adult acne I have been told that I have beautiful skin and I have never felt insecure or any of the above. Maybe the original poster should try spending time with women other than his mom and step into reality.

I really hope he is a troll! I can't stand when people blame makeup on cancer...while they nibble on genetically engineered meat and lay in the sun.
rolleyes.gif
Such hypocrites.

Originally Posted by Sarah Afshar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're a troll and the fact you made such a thread screams "attention seeking" and "insecure" not to mention "superficial" and "condescending". It is a makeup forum and makeup is a scientifically safe medium that allows you to enhance your looks without needles, drugs, or risks. The sun causes cancer, but can you really live without it? Stop trying to bash makeup and those that wear it to up your green cinco stance.

Self-adornment and artifice are one of the few things that are unique to humans. You could accurately say that cosmetics are a natural thing for humans. We've been applying paint and pigment to our bodies and faces as far back in history as we can go. We apparently have enjoyed cosmetics for a very, very long time.

Carol

S***, I didn't know that my covering imperfections to even out tone along with defining features I want to was something I needed a reason for.  I thought it was because I always seek perfection and I have some warped sense of what that is based on societal expectations and norms.  Cliffs notes is that it makes me feel pretty and I have fun doing it, so meh.

WOMEN AND THE IMPOSSIBLE PURSUIT OF BEAUTY

The concept of BEAUTY needs closer inspection. On close examination it becomes apparent that the concept, from a physical standpoint, is actually an extreme one. The word actually means PERFECTION. A beautiful woman exists at the zenith, the triangular pinnacle, the perfect spheres of physical appearance. That description, as we can see, creates the gulf between most women who exist and physically perfect (beyond reproach) women. If I were a woman, and knew all I know, I would not seek to be beautiful. Intellectually clear-minded women understand that sentiment. The circularity of chasing this impossible abstraction, is probably wherein lies the problem for women. It is with utmost sympathy that I offer a persuasion to women to reconsider the chase. The women who can emotionally abandon this circular zeal for beauty (if so divinely inspired) will be ultimately FREE.

I completely agree with you. I'm a woman and I never wear makeup. While I believe to each their own, I think women need to get off the make-up train and embrace their natural look! Why do people say makeup "brings out the features"? Were your features hidden before you put on makeup? What, you couldn't see your eyelids before you smeared 3 colors on it? Or your lips were invisible before dousing it in lipstick? COME ON! Y'all know that whole "bringing out features" rationale is nonsense. Your features are there already and I'll bet they look fine if only y'all would believe that and stop believing Cover Girl, Maybelline, and all those other cosmetic companies digging in your pockets and breaking down your self-esteem

Haha, this is too much. All I can say is, I wear makeup because its fun? I go out all the time with no makeup on, a small amount, or a full face. I see it an as accessory, just like my necklace, earrings, my socks and shoes.. I don't think I'm dressing up for other women or men, its for me, because me myself and I like it that way. Think of it what you must, think of me as "easy" or severely "insecure", but I'm only on this planet once in a life time, so I'll go out with a bang. I'm super "fake," its awesome, and my fiance loves me no matter what I look like. I'll put on the lipstick extra thick today, and look extra "pathetic." Haters gonna hate. <3

Well, that was a waste of grad school and your parent's money. Which did you attend? I can only assume you majored in Women's Studies or Sociology, given your choice of thesis.

Originally Posted by Godfrey Silas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The question of why women wear makeup is a fair one. In fact, not asking this question is actually more fascinating. When I was in grad school I had the compulsion to study this socially inexplicable phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizzyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree with you. I'm a woman and I never wear makeup. While I believe to each their own, I think women need to get off the make-up train and embrace their natural look! Why do people say makeup "brings out the features"? Were your features hidden before you put on makeup? What, you couldn't see your eyelids before you smeared 3 colors on it? Or your lips were invisible before dousing it in lipstick? COME ON! Y'all know that whole "bringing out features" rationale is nonsense. Your features are there already and I'll bet they look fine if only y'all would believe that and stop believing Cover Girl, Maybelline, and all those other cosmetic companies digging in your pockets and breaking down your self-esteem

I'll have to respectfully disagree! xD my features are indeed "hidden" before makeup.. for example, my lashes are long but they are very thin, straight and fine. It's amazing what a little curling and mascara does... Also as an Asian woman with the typical monolids, our natural lashline is hidden under a load of flesh, it's amazing how a little eyeliner brings out our natural beautiful Oriental eye shape. Plus, like cursom awesomely put it - make up is fun! I enjoy it just like I enjoy painting or coordinating an outfit. Make up for me is not about a lack of self esteem, but about the happiness that attention to aesthetics brings. Who doesn't love pretty things? xD Of course different people have different standards of beauty, people like yourself like "natural" better, and some other people like me prefer some 'adornment'. Let us live and let live :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back