Why do women wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello ladies,
As a guy, I'd like to know why women wear makeup? I don't mean any disrespect and I'm here to learn from you but I just don't understand why women are obsessed with products that are filled with hormone disrupting, cancer causing chemicals (according to several studies). Is it because you think that men won't find you pretty without makeup? Is it because of your own insecurities?

Thanks.

For someone who means no "disrespect," you sure do have a disrespectful tone. You describe women as "obsessed" with makeup. You make claims without any factual basis -- "hormone disrupting" and "cancer causing" chemicals, etc.
As others have said: What is your agenda?

I used to feel the same way you did. I hated women who wore makeup and thought they were stupid for hiding their natural beauty because it just shows how low their self esteem was. I would always give them the "evils" with my eyes and criticize them from behind their backs.

I'm 18 now, and my mind has completely changed for those who wear cosmetics. Yes, it hides their true beauty but it also in some ways enhances it. Since I was 13, I love art and well.. as I got older I had less and less time to draw - for some reason, it always had kept me sane. I couldn't stand the stress that the sciences, theory, family and friend complications that school and home was putting upon me and because of that, I eventually stopped going to highschool for 2 months.

While I was hiding from the world, I decided to experiment and *try* to accept cosmetics and believe me.. it was the best thing I've ever decided.. even though I'm still young. The stress of my life goes away every night when I paint my face... it's as if my face is the canvas and I was creating something special... or as some people call it.. "art".

Nowadays, I would just retire in my bedroom with my brushes and colours after a long happy day at school (repeating the year that I missed).. instead of trying to escape from the real world. It's just so fun!

... and so I'm not doing it for what sociality thinks of me or to pick up a guy... but it's for me and me only.
smile.gif

Are you serious? First of all makeup has improved a lot over the past 15 years and not all makeup is full of toxins, many have organic additives that can help improve the appearance of the skin. Women have been applying makeup to their finished look for thousands of years this will never change.

Why do women wear mek up?

Why do women wear shoes?

Why do women wear evening gowns...?

Why...?

Respect-Disprespect can be the names of some MAC e/s or lipstick, but not feelings about somebodys powder or blush.

LMFAO, I was having a similar conversation with my bf. He asked to why, I am like have you seen my without it? Obviously you have and I have seen many many other celebrities without theirs and honestly, it seems like it would be a necesary thing. There are some woman who don't look like themselves underneath all that exterior, and then there are those who look naturally beautiful and don't need much. I fall into the you won't recognize me without it category. It sucks, but thats the beauty of makeup, to make you into the beautiful girl you deserve to be.

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've always wondered if women are really that liberated. Everything about the modern woman is fake: fake hair colour, fake boobs, fake nails, fake tan, fake lips, fake eyelashes, fake skin etc. Ok, some will say they don't have all these things, but you still feel the need to paint your faces in order to feel presentable to the world. Women aren't liberated, they're slaves to the cosmetics industry who makes billions of dollars off of women's insecurities.

I rather be a slave to the cosmetic companies than to a man. Thank you very much.

I get asked all the time..."How much makeup can you have?? When will you ever use it all?" and I say "how many shoes do you have, how many jeans do you have?? ....when are you going to wear it all?"

I think like anything else, makeup is something I enjoy. I love the thrill of seeking new items of testing new products...of looking beautiful....I go from close to nothing, to exaggerated....I think an answer to your question would be subjective based on each individual.....I LOVE makeup because it's fun
smile.gif
...Oh...and I look amazing in it :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

lol Am I The only one who DIDNT find Jamies post offensive!!!!? I think he was pretty much right on About Women feeling the need to wear makeup Or Having insecurities I mean It in Reality is Fake If you dont wake up with rosey cheecks & glossy llips & long thick lashes Than It is Fake................That doesnt mean its WRong Everyone always assumes the word "Fake" is Bad or Insulting & its not I wear fake lashes & tons of makeup because its fun & i like to Be creative & at times Impress ppl & if its "fake" than I dont care its fun & it makes me happy So I think hes right on saying "men dont HAVE to wear makeup so why do women?" I agree I mean Just think of how much crap the first lady or the news lady would get if they got all dressed up did there hair & went on television with absolutely no makeup its crazy but its reality & i dont mind one bit I love putting on makeup for myself & sometimes for others & who freakin cares!!!!!!

I feel quite liberated actually. I like the way that make up looks. It makes me happy. There's nothing more to it; i don't wear it to impress anyone, to hide anything, or because i feel that i have to. It's quite simple really.

i do believe that its whats on the inside that counts...BUT pretty much EVERY man judges a woman based on their looks and please don't try to say you don't. When a guy notices a girl its all about how she looks, he doesn't know if she's smart,funny, or kind when he is about to approach her. So i think its kinda wrong for you guys to come in this forum and talk badly about us wanting to wear makeup so much when you go out all time and look for HOT chicks..

Some of the people in this thread are waaaaaaaaaaay overthinking it. Makeup to me is an artistic endeavor, why do painters paint, writers write, and sculptors sculpt? It's a fun and creative thing to do, which is why we're on all a cosmetics forum to begin with. This "to catch a man" idea is soooooooooo retro.

i wear makeup when i'm feeling artsy. i can go out and not wear anything for all i care. 

Back