Birchbox: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use shampoo maybe 3x a month? Otherwise I condition it and it's been working great. My hair is super soft and doesn't get oily, like some fear. Plus, my hair's naturally curly and dry, so it needs all the moisture it can get lol...I say lo poo, some say no poo, then people also say co-washing. Whatever floats your boat.
I don't use shampoo at all so I'd guess it's no poo for me? I use Wen though, some people use home made stuff, and my hair doesn't get oily either, mine is wavy, fine and normal, and it lasts a week without me washing, some people might frown upon this, but my hair is just fine being washed once a week even when I use a Cleansing Conditioner instead of Shampoo :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use styling products, so I can never go more than two days between..product build up is baaaad! Which is why I shampoo on occasion, to make sure I get it all out.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't use shampoo at all so I'd guess it's no poo for me? I use Wen though, some people use home made stuff, and my hair doesn't get oily either, mine is wavy, fine and normal, and it lasts a week without me washing, some people might frown upon this, but my hair is just fine being washed once a week even when I use a Cleansing Conditioner instead of Shampoo :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Every time you mention the Wen product, I get more interested! It sounds like it works so well! The only issue I have with my hair is that it can get oily after only a day. It'd be great if the Wen Cleansing Conditioner would take that down a notch!

My hair is super fine, combination, and I've been co-washing for 6 months now and it has made a huge difference.  My hair was really greasy for a few weeks, not going to lie, I found a lot of new ways to braid it.  It started balancing out though.  I started off on Wen, moved to knockoff Wen, then someone here mentioned using cheap conditioner .  My stylist noticed my hair was shiny and strong and thicker and she didn't believe me when I told her 'I wash it with Suave conditioner'.  I do a clarifying wash every 2 weeks or so.  I will have to wash my hair more since my schedule is letting swim laps again, I turn green so I do need to get the chlorine out, so I'm sad about that.

don't know if this was brought up on last month's thread (i skipped most of it because I was so sick!) but i did notice that i got the BB points for the trisha prettyman review and the other survey for Bb points someone posted a link to. 

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every time you mention the Wen product, I get more interested! It sounds like it works so well! The only issue I have with my hair is that it can get oily after only a day. It'd be great if the Wen Cleansing Conditioner would take that down a notch!
It doesn't work for everyone, it worked for me, and I love it, but I'd say you should try a sample before you go out and buy it, you know? cuz with this you would be out some money, my bf's family gave me a huge Wen kit for xmas and before I bought like 2 16oz bottles myself...and since I do only wash my hair once a week, it doesn't end up being too expensive for me, but it might be for other people that need to wash their hair more often.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use styling products, so I can never go more than two days between..product build up is baaaad! Which is why I shampoo on occasion, to make sure I get it all out.
  I haven't used any styling products that would create bad product build up in a while (but the Wen stuff: styling creme and sometimes the texture balm when I need it), so I don't know how it would remove something like idk hair spray...I might just have to test that! XD   And before anyone starts getting any idea that I might work for Wen, just cuz I like it, I don't, I actually can't work in the US and don't work in the  US or at all at the moment. I'm here for long periods of time cuz my bf lives here, so I visit him, so ya, just wanted to throw that little disclaimer in :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have had horrible greasy luck with wen. My boyfriend uses wen as conditioner after his Lush shampoo puck (no matter how many times I tell him that cleansing conditioner == conditioner, he says he just follows what the bottles in the bathroom says. He has thick kinda curly hair and his hair looks awesome after

I'm using Herbal Essences at the moment. Gathered my coupons and stockpiled at $1 a piece. I heard good things about Wen, but can achieve the same results with drugstore conditioner. I'll continue and save my moola for makeup lol.

Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edited because I misread, but I'm still confused. How does not liking the term "no-pooing" because it sounds gross have anything to do with the state of my hair?
i misread too, i was thinking you said the whole idea of lo/no pooing is disgusting

and about your state of hair i was trying to say you would understand if you had hair like mine

Speaking of iPads, I think birchbox should hire a developer and create an app or at least a mobile friendly website. I do everything on my phone and being able to check tracking, make reviews and shop from my phone would be great. Although people checking their tracking might go even more crazy. What are your thoughts?

I can't believe I actually pulled the plug on Birchbox! It just hasn't been sticking out to me lately and I know it's only 10$ but with so many other subs I can use it somewhere else! But I can't wait to see what everyone gets in Dec boxes! Does anyone know if I subscribe again do you have to wait the waiting period again?

I can't believe I actually pulled the plug on Birchbox! It just hasn't been sticking out to me lately and I know it's only 10$ but with so many other subs I can use it somewhere else! But I can't wait to see what everyone gets in Dec boxes! Does anyone know if I subscribe again do you have to wait the waiting period again?
You can log into your account and resubscribe at anytime!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Herbal Essences at the moment. Gathered my coupons and stockpiled at $1 a piece. I heard good things about Wen, but can achieve the same results with drugstore conditioner. I'll continue and save my moola for makeup lol.
Interesting!  I've been using Wen for about a year with excellent results, but would be up for trying something a bit less costly.  Do you feel like the Herbal Essence conditioner is providing the  same results as Wen? Anyone else recommend a particular conditioner to replace Wen?

Originally Posted by StellaSunshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting!  I've been using Wen for about a year with excellent results, but would be up for trying something a bit less costly.  Do you feel like the Herbal Essence conditioner is providing the  same results as Wen? Anyone else recommend a particular conditioner to replace Wen?
I use Suave Naturals.  The Wen didn't do anything special for my hair that co-washing hasn't done, but that's just me.  What I understand is that most conditioners have mild surfacants in it to make it rinse clean, leaving them on your hair and rubbing it in, like with Wen, is what cleanses it.  It takes a bit of trial and error--a lot of people like to use VO5, but it didn't work for me at all.  The most important thing is to make sure that there are no non-soluble silicones in it.  I read the ingredients, and anything with the suffice 'one I Google to see if is soluble or not.

I never tried Wen, but read up on the condition washing habits before trying it out. For drugstore alternatives, I kept seeing Suave and Herbal Essences being recommended. I haven't tried Suave, but have really liked the Herbal Essences...I currently use the blue one, Hello Hydration, I think and it's been great. This is going on two months or so that I've been doing this and I feel like there's been an improvement in my overall hair "health" and appearence.

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's crazy!  Was it worth the wait?
I don't know about that, but it was a nice surprise, lol.  Seriously though, it is a good box, considering that October was officially "crappy box month!" 

I have Wen but I find myself using Dove Nourishing Oil Care shampoo and daily treatment conditioner.  I have dry damaged hair and besides SHU UEMURA Art of Hair Moisture Velvet Nourishing Treatment is it the best I've ever used.  I refuse to spend $70 when I can find something almost as good for $4. 

I just finished my WEN from my last Test Tube, I think it's called Winter Vanilla Mint. I have mixed feelings about it. Loved the smell, the vanilla wasn't overpowering but the mint... loved the mint especially on mornings I felt a little sluggish. The mint also made my scalp "tingle" (in a good way) which I also liked however I saw no difference in my hair condition after using it. I've also been using Miss Jessie's products and Rusk's Keratin Care. IF I were to re-buy this particular WEN I'd buy it purely for the smell. WEN is just too expensive and there are other products on the market that are less - like Miss Jessie's Creme de la Curl and Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo (although I do admit this one still reminds me of slime kids play with, lol).

Latest posts

Back