Birchbox: July 2011

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Finally got a hold of Birchbox again. Some upcoming news ahead for us from Birchbox :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Testtube never e-mailed me back, not sure if they ignored my e-mail or if they overlooked it.  What's eco-emi?
https://www.makeuptalk.com/forum/thread/118566/what-is-eco-emi

TestTube I'm kind of wary of because I paid for it in June (last couple of days) and haven't seen or heard anything from them yet. I don't think they've shipped out this quarter's items yet (to be shipped in July I think) but I have no idea.

I've been subscribing to the Test Tube since January and I haven't gotten notified that my July tube has shipped either. Guess they are testing our patience :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Finally got a hold of Birchbox again. Some upcoming news ahead for us from Birchbox :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Testtube never e-mailed me back, not sure if they ignored my e-mail or if they overlooked it.  What's eco-emi?

Eco-Emi is like a "green" Birchbox, here's my video of last month's box from them:

Just got my July Box! The box looked different this time: Was wrapped in a Cynthia Rowley Cover thing.

-A "KIND" almond & apricot bar was in there. Too bad I can't eat solid foods. wuhh wuhhhhhh.

-Redkin Shine Brilliance spray

-Nuxe oil ....didn't like the smell at all..

-Zonya Nail Polish in "Pandora" ....I like the color.

-Philosophy's "purity" facial clenser ....don't mind the scent...although it's not my favorite.

All in all I'm not happy with this month's. I'm especially irritated by the nut bar. I didn't sign up for food samples, I'd rather have had a product. 

Greeneyed: I totally agree. boo for food... yay for makeup... which I got none of 
icon_evil.gif

mine seems to have gotten lost in the mail.  The delivery service says it was given to usps.  USPS says they never got it.  I have tried contacting birchbox with no success yet.  Hopefully I get a new one sent out!

Yeah - here's mine.  The Kind bar isn't really all that healthy either - other than being all natural, it's not really a diet bar - is it supposed to be a snack bar? If so, its too high in fat and carbs.  I'll give it to my son.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
 He'll eat anything and has the metabolism to burn it off in 5 minutes.

I tried the Joya Parfum - love it!!  Not really sure how to use the Nuxe all purpose oil!  Any suggestions?

The folks at Sephora use the Purity Facial Soap to clean their brushes every night - they say its gentle enough for the brushes and does a good job of cleaning them. 

I got that same Philosophy cleanser sample in my last Beauty Test Tube.. it's still sitting in my skincare product bin unopened lol. It has sulfates so I'll never use it on my face. I'll probably end up using it as a brush cleaner (thanks for the tip DreamWarrior!) and looks like I will most likely have a 2nd bottle coming in my BirchBox :/

I'm jealous you got perfume dream! As far as the oil....I don't care for the smell so I'm sure as hell not putting it in my hair. It does work great though for your legs--my shin/calf area gets really dry and looks bad if I don't moisturize, especially when wearing shorts. 

I use the oil on my legs in combination with lotion, and they look hydrated and shiney! Great for shorts or shorter dresses! (and it's on my legs so I cant smell it lol)

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah - here's mine.  The Kind bar isn't really all that healthy either - other than being all natural, it's not really a diet bar - is it supposed to be a snack bar? If so, its too high in fat and carbs.  I'll give it to my son.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
 He'll eat anything and has the metabolism to burn it off in 5 minutes.

I tried the Joya Parfum - love it!!  Not really sure how to use the Nuxe all purpose oil!  Any suggestions?

The folks at Sephora use the Purity Facial Soap to clean their brushes every night - they say its gentle enough for the brushes and does a good job of cleaning them. 

I'm feeling like the rest of you, very disappointed.  I think all the hype about Cynthial Rowley made me expect more from this Birchbox and it didn't deliver in my opinion.

I messaged them on facebook about the food with nuts potentially setting off a deadly allergic reaction. I know that at my boys school there are two students who even the smell of nuts - peanuts, almonds, cashews - would cause an allergic reaction that is potentially deadly. Then there are those who are diabetic or have other health issues with food. Personally, I'm allergic to raspberries and break out into hives. Sending out food without is just a bad idea.

I hear you on the food Zadi, I'm allergic to peanuts, luckily not severely allergic, but if they were planning on sending food, they should have asked if people had allergies. I haven't received my birchbox yet, but I really hope that I get the eyebrow pencil at least. I'll be bummed if I don't get anything makeup-related :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Nice profile pic Jean!

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm feeling like the rest of you, very disappointed.  I think all the hype about Cynthial Rowley made me expect more from this Birchbox and it didn't deliver in my opinion.

So people continue to ask, "is it worth it?". I'm still saying yes even though this month the boxes don't look to be that great despite all the hype. Here's a tip folks - if the hype is THAT great from the company itself be wary of it because sometimes the hype isn't justifiable. That said, "is it worth it?" and yet it is. I'll use Jean's box as an example.

Jean wasn't happy with her box but the box is still worth the $10 monthly subscription price. Why? Let's look at what she actually got.

Kind fruit bar is a gluten free bar. Granted who wants food in their makeup box but still each bar retails for $1.50. I buy similar bars at my local Fred Meyer for $1 each.

Zoya nail polish retails for $8 ($4 pro price).

RedKen Shine Flash 02 came in a 2.1 ounce bottle (?). A full size bottle is 4.4 ounces which retails for $17. So half the size is roughly $8.50 retail ($4.25 pro price).

Philosophy Purity came in a 1.6 oz bottle. The 3 oz bottle retails at Sephora for $10. So again this is roughly half the small bottle so it's about a $5 value.

Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse® - no idea on the value at this time because I didn't see how many oz Jean got. I did find a video where the guy stated something along the lines that $44.50 divided by 10 is $4.50 which leads me to suspect the sample size is 10 ml/ 0.3 oz. Doing my own math it's more along the lines of having a value of $5.

So box value total: approximately $27.50 give or take.

I think my daughter's box might arrive today since they sent the email to her on Friday. My email was sent out on Sunday which means my box probably wasn't shipped on Saturday but rather on Monday. Curious to know if she and I will get the same box or not.

Vixie, mine was exactly the same as yours (down to the flavor of Kind bar)! This was my first Birchbox, so I totally had no idea what to expect. So it doesn't usually include food? I'm not a big fan of apricots, but I tried it anyway. Actually, the apricots didn't bother me, but the coconut was very strong. I am diabetic, though, and I agree that including food is not necessarily the greatest idea for Birchbox since you don't know about allergies, food restrictions, etc.

But otherwise, I was really pleased -- I didn't know if I should expect little sample-size packets, trial/travel sizes, some full-size products, or a combination. I was glad that everything was a good enough size to get a good idea of how the product works. I'm already a big fan of the Purity Made Simple, so even though I have plenty of it, I was glad to have a small one for travel (the one I had in my travel kit was twice as big).

I've never used any AHAVA, Redken or Zoya product, so those were nice to get to try. The hand cream is unbelievable. I posted a review at Birchbox and told them when I used the cream for the first time before bed last night, I held out my hand to the hubby so he could feel how soft it was; he GRABBED my hand, held it up to his face, and said "mmm, that smells GOOD!" I said, "duh, I was wanting you to FEEL it, but thanks." He said, "oh, yeah, it feels really soft too!"

I just tried the Redken spray today and the jury is still out -- didn't notice much change, but we'll see if anyone else comments. And I can't wait to do my nails with the beige polish! I was also impressed with how lovingly everything was packaged -- it looked like someone wrapped it all up really pretty just for me. Very much worth $10 and I am already looking forward to August!

Unfortunately AHAVA does have some very negative associations with it. I'm not going to get into controversy in this thread however people have the right to know that there are boycotts to using AHAVA products. Here's a link to one of the articles. For those curious about it then simply google for AHAVA controversy. It really depends on whose viewpoint you agree with. If someone would like to ask questions or discuss it please make a new thread since this one is about the July Birchbox.

I know a few people have received makeup in their boxes. I'm still going through videos and can't believe how many people are complaining about the lack of makeup again even when they DID get makeup! LOL

I have to disagree with the price she put on the Korres showergel. I actually bought a duo set at Sephora at the end of December because it was on clearance for like $1.49. I still have a few left. At any rate, the box is labled as $8. for the duo set with a $16 value. That means each 1.69 oz bottle is valued at $8 and was basically sold for $4 each.

http://www.youtube.com/results?suggested_categories=26%2C22&search_query=birchbox+july+2011%2C+this+week

Yeah, I still think it's worth the $10. There is still some cool stuff to play with. You can't expect them to give us a $30 blush every month! lol

Back