Dupe of Urban Decay Naked Palette

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the blog from with the comparison of the UD Naked Palette & ELF Neutral Book here: http://www.starlightplurs.com/2011/03/dupe-for-urban-decay-naked-palette-elf.html She says that the the ELF palette is good, however the pigmentation is not as good as the high end Naked Palette. Check out the swatches on the blog.

PS: It's bad form to take a photo from a blog & not at least credit/link to them. How would you like it if someone did that to you?

I looked at her blog and swatches of the two palettes and they weren't exact but they were pretty darn close. The Elf palette is only about 1/10th the cost of the UD palette. For such a huge savings I think I can handle having to spend a little extra time building up the colors to achieve the same pigmentation.

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looked at her blog and swatches of the two palettes and they weren't exact but they were pretty darn close. The Elf palette is only about 1/10th the cost of the UD palette. For such a huge savings I think I can handle having to spend a little extra time building up the colors to achieve the same pigmentation.
my thoughts exactly

I had my hands on the Naked palette today... Seriously considering it, and in the end I put it back... I just couldn't justify the 48.00 right now... especially with The Makeup Show around the corner.  I want to see what I can get my hands on and if it turns out that the palette is worth it after all, I'll buy it next time I see in stock.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have oily lids and my ELF books and quads stay put all day using a home made shadow primer.  What kind of primer do you use?

I use "fast fix eyeshadow base" by Sally Hanson, got it for around $2 at a CVS sale a few weeks ago. I read mixed reviews about it, but so far I'm really happy with it!

You're right, for that price I would do the same thing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Found the battery charger so I'll have the swatches up tomorrow! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll also have swatches for Wet 'n' Wild nail polishes (pretty much my entire collection), OPI, China Glaze and a few other miscellaneous things. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I do need to get a new camera stand though.

Hey there!

I'm StarLightPlurs and the author/owner of the post and photos. Thank you for the link KeLLsTar! I check my blog traffic regularly and was wondering why that post was getting so many views. Just wanted to add my 2 cents about the palettes. I own most of the Elf palettes and for some reason this one was just not pigmented like the original one's by Elf which I love dearly. I filmed a follow up review on my channel and do recommend a color base with the Elf palette. Overall good quality for the price but I really love the Urban Decay one and the Naked palette was my first UD shadow product ever.  Where I see the biggest difference is with application. The Elf one takes longer to build up color and for someone who is constantly in a rush for work the Urban Decay one is just one swipe of your brush and done!

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the blog from with the comparison of the UD Naked Palette & ELF Neutral Book here: http://www.starlightplurs.com/2011/03/dupe-for-urban-decay-naked-palette-elf.html She says that the the ELF palette is good, however the pigmentation is not as good as the high end Naked Palette. Check out the swatches on the blog.

PS: It's bad form to take a photo from a blog & not at least credit/link to them. How would you like it if someone did that to you?

I understand the Naked has better Quality, but I'm on a budget. I have student loans, and I cannot justify $50 on a makeup palette, especially one tht is all dupeable neutrals. For those of us being more practical, the ELF palette wouldnt be a bad thing to try.

Originally Posted by StarLightPlurs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey there!

I'm StarLightPlurs and the author/owner of the post and photos. Thank you for the link KeLLsTar! I check my blog traffic regularly and was wondering why that post was getting so many views. Just wanted to add my 2 cents about the palettes. I own most of the Elf palettes and for some reason this one was just not pigmented like the original one's by Elf which I love dearly. I filmed a follow up review on my channel and do recommend a color base with the Elf palette. Overall good quality for the price but I really love the Urban Decay one and the Naked palette was my first UD shadow product ever.  Where I see the biggest difference is with application. The Elf one takes longer to build up color and for someone who is constantly in a rush for work the Urban Decay one is just one swipe of your brush and done!

I have to say.  I have tried both high end and lower ended eyeshadows and I will admit, I do not have patience with powdery or (let me be careful here) some 'lower ended quality' eye shadow.  Before I started using more expensive shadows I had the Coastal Scents 78 Palette and to me that was GREAT!  But then I started exploring and realised I used it less and less and less because as the blogger said, the length of time I need to build up, is just not worth it for me, when I can get on the UD in two pats/one swipe.  This maybe is because I am very very impatient generally...hehehe....

All that said, this is a very good dupe from what I can see, not from what I can confirm in terms of owning the product, and like....who will notice?  Can someone tell, uh...ok she is wearing elf...uh huh...and she is wearing Darkhorse from UD.  Ummm...I think not.  I guess I'm straying here but I'd have to say that I can't see how an elf shadow can match up to an UD one at this price.  To me that's what dupe means, not neccesarily a cheaper version, but something of same colour, texture, value, etc.  But that's totally subjective.

In my own opinion I would rather pay a higher price for a better well known product, however, ELF is a great inexpensive product line and alot of their shadows compare to the shades of more expensive colors, as many members have said above...i think it all depends on the person but quantity isn't always quality.

Originally Posted by bowbandit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand the Naked has better Quality, but I'm on a budget. I have student loans, and I cannot justify $50 on a makeup palette, especially one tht is all dupeable neutrals. For those of us being more practical, the ELF palette wouldnt be a bad thing to try.
I'll have swatches up today but the ELF palette is simply not comparable to the Urban Decay Naked. If you want something that is more comparable then I'd normally suggestion NYX's Nude palette ($25) however I will instead recommend Wet 'n' Wild's 8-pan collection plus trios. I'll have pics of those as well.

The Wet N Wild shadows really are amazing! I recommended those as well on my channel. The 8 palette called comfort zone retails for only $5 and is a great value! I bought a few of the trios at a drug store 50% off so I was so pleased not only with the price but also the quality. Of all drug store eye shadows, I think Wet N Wild are one of the best.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll have swatches up today but the ELF palette is simply not comparable to the Urban Decay Naked. If you want something that is more comparable then I'd normally suggestion NYX's Nude palette ($25) however I will instead recommend Wet 'n' Wild's 8-pan collection plus trios. I'll have pics of those as well.

yay! i cant wait to see them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i personally dont like ELF's palette shadows very much. my oily eyelids eat it like a snack.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yay! i cant wait to see them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i personally dont like ELF's palette shadows very much. my oily eyelids eat it like a snack.
Hahahaha  I guess that's one good thing about having almost no lid.  I never have had a creasing problem.

Hahahaha  I guess that's one good thing about having almost no lid.  I never have had a creasing problem.

Sorry about the pics folks. I took the pictures and my camera sucks. I have a Canon Powershot SX10IS and I didn't like how the pics came out. My daughter loaned me her school camera - a Canon EOS Rebel XS with EF-S lens so I'm retaking the pics in the morning when I have natural light.

Ah, you tease!! Haha, can't wait to see the swatch comparisons. I've seen the elf book at target and picked it up more than once but never got it.  I'm way intersted in swatches, if it looks good I'm gonna buy it.

Back