From The Lab Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriouslyAmanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm not prepared to hop onto another subscription service right now but did notice GiltCity had a special for this one; thought I'd let you all know. It shows up under National and it's $54 for 3 months or $99 for 6 months.
Yeah, I'm debating this deal as well.  It's a good deal which would be a nice way to test out From the Lab as a sub.  But do I even need what they are offering?!  I just signed up for BeautyDNA and they also send out only one product but you fill out this crazy long profile and they send you ONLY things you can use.  Totally tailored, which is unusual for a sub.  I feel like normally you fill out a profile and they never look at it.  

So anyway, the debate for me is... does the good deal make it worth getting things I may not use or do I just use that money to get an extra month or two of BeautyDNA and get something thats guaranteed for my skin/hair type.  Well, I think I just answered my own question.  It's always nice to get thoughts down on paper (or screen, I guess!).

I ended up getting the GiltCity "Best of Beauty" kit with a 25% off referral code so including S&H it came to about $48. ($10 per product!) I've read a lot of good reviews about the products in that kit and thought it would be a good low-commitment way of giving this a try. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, from reading your blog @OiiO (and likely others), I know you share my dislike of products in pots due to contamination risks. Have you identified a good solution for those? Are there mini reusable spatulas? I particularly hate it when eye creams are in pots. Thanks for your knowledge, ladies!

On a somewhat unrelated note, from reading your blog @OiiO (and likely others), I know you share my dislike of products in pots due to contamination risks. Have you identified a good solution for those? Are there mini reusable spatulas? I particularly hate it when eye creams are in pots. Thanks for your knowledge, ladies!
Hi Amanda! I don't bother depotting smaller jar containers that I know I'll use up within a month. For the bigger ones, like moisturizers and such, I use a clean spatula and move some product into a sample-sized jar [i have a ton of those from my subscriptions], while keeping the bigger jar in the fridge. Sometimes if I'm lucky I find pump bottles that I can reuse, but usually they are very hard to clean from the previous product, and who knows how those formulas are going to clash together.

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi Amanda! I don't bother depotting smaller jar containers that I know I'll use up within a month. For the bigger ones, like moisturizers and such, I use a clean spatula and move some product into a sample-sized jar [i have a ton of those from my subscriptions], while keeping the bigger jar in the fridge. Sometimes if I'm lucky I find pump bottles that I can reuse, but usually they are very hard to clean from the previous product, and who knows how those formulas are going to clash together.
Very clever; I have a few sample-sized jars so I'll employ that technique for my larger products in pots! And agreed on cleaning the pump bottles; although I have a few nice ones that should be freeing up soon and hopefully they'll clean out thoroughly. We'll see ... 

Product management would make an excellent post, by the way. These are great tips! 
smile.gif

I also hate pots.  Why do they even use them?!  Surely a squeeze bottle would suffice?  Unless it specifically needs a glass container...

Maybe its to make us think we get more product than we actually do?

Otherwise its totally unsanitary and I hate that it gets under my fingernails and its just sloppy. And it probably degrades the ingredients to be exposed to so much light and oil from fingers.

I never considered transferring product, though...  Now I have to go look at my stash and see what I can do!

Very clever; I have a few sample-sized jars so I'll employ that technique for my larger products in pots! And agreed on cleaning the pump bottles; although I have a few nice ones that should be freeing up soon and hopefully they'll clean out thoroughly. We'll see ... 

Product management would make an excellent post, by the way. These are great tips! 
smile.gif

Some packaging companies send out free samples of packaging.

I've gotten some before as I wanted to buy some glass containers to make a ton of gifts.

If you do searches online there are quite a few packaging companies...

er

or some of the asian sites sell cheap packaging too.

to clean cosmetic pumps I put alcohol in them and it cleans well. walmart has cheap 70% santizing alcohol in first aid.

I use it to clean my makeup brushes quickly too (been doing that for years and never ruined them).

I have some makeup spatulas from blush/dermstore.

Makeup miser spatula set is amazing and I use it every day.

or the cheap version is use a plastic knife or metal knife and clean w alcohol between uses.

I actually have one of those disposable plastic knives in my bathroom for some cosmetics that are hard to get out of the container where spatulas are too soft

Quote: Originally Posted by naturalactions /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just got the spoiler for this months product. I am excited to try it!

Transforming Hair Cleanser No. 724. It’s a truly revolutionary oil-based shampoo that cleans, conditions and detangles. Simply put, it’s the new way to wash your hair.
I'm glad I canceled then.

I am not too crazy about hair cleansing oils or creams and have a bunch and always need some extra conditioner after.

I actually put some oil in my hair after conditioning it most days (or use potion 9).

my hair type is pourous, curly, dry, fine and long.

-a very annoying hair type to have

I have some makeup spatulas from blush/dermstore. Makeup miser spatula set is amazing and I use it every day. or the cheap version is use a plastic knife or metal knife and clean w alcohol between uses. I actually have one of those disposable plastic knives in my bathroom for some cosmetics that are hard to get out of the container where spatulas are too soft
Thanks for the tips on the reusable makeup spatulas! I'll look for them.

I recently discovered another benefit to transferring to smaller pots - it makes it much easier when traveling to grab essentials and go!

Just got Aprils product.

Micro Cellular Body Treatment No. 615. I can always use more lotion! Haha.
According to the letter they included this month it will retail for $65. Looking forward to using it, but I am really looking forward to next month!

The letter also says that next month will include

An exclusive duo that will reinvent your makeup regime.

Does this mean we will FINALLY get a colored cosmetic product like was promised when the sub first started? Or maybe just another primer set...hhmmm

Hmm... I feel like I want to sign up if its two products next month...

Do they switch out the types of things they send each month?  Or is it possible to get two similar products one right after the other?  I wouldnt mind that if it was skincare but if it was two shampoo type things in a row, I wouldn't be too thrilled.

Quote: Originally Posted by Saffyra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hmm... I feel like I want to sign up if its two products next month...

Do they switch out the types of things they send each month?  Or is it possible to get two similar products one right after the other?  I wouldnt mind that if it was skincare but if it was two shampoo type things in a row, I wouldn't be too thrilled.
As far as I can remember, (someone can correct me if I am wrong) the sub has only sent out 2 hair items, a mask and the cleansing oil, and they were pretty far apart. All other months have been some sort of skin care. Lots of eye and face creams, serums, lotions, etc so if you like skin care, this is a great sub to try for a while. The first month did have face and eye primers, which I guess could be considered cosmetics, so I am really hoping we get something in the cosmetics category next month.

Quote: Originally Posted by naturalactions /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as I can remember, (someone can correct me if I am wrong) the sub has only sent out 2 hair items, a mask and the cleansing oil, and they were pretty far apart. All other months have been some sort of skin care. Lots of eye and face creams, serums, lotions, etc so if you like skin care, this is a great sub to try for a while. The first month did have face and eye primers, which I guess could be considered cosmetics, so I am really hoping we get something in the cosmetics category next month.
You're exactly right...only 2 haircare items so far and they were at least 4 months apart, as I recall.  BTW...I am loving this month's product.  I was a little "meh" at first because I have so much lotion, but this one is sooo moisturizing and non-greasy!

Quote: Originally Posted by Andi B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You're exactly right...only 2 haircare items so far and they were at least 4 months apart, as I recall.  BTW...I am loving this month's product.  I was a little "meh" at first because I have so much lotion, but this one is sooo moisturizing and non-greasy!
I agree! It works great, but I do wish the scent was "prettier"...haha. Not a deal breaker though.

Okay, I signed up sort of :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  They sent me an email giving me the first month free except for shipping.  And they gave me a choice of what to get.  I did end up picking the face primer and eyelift primer just because I didn't think the ingredients were stellar on the others.  I was really wishing I could get the Micro cellular lotion!

I just got the email offering a free box (just pay shipping) as well, and I can't decide what to get! For those that have had the subscription awhile, which do you think is better: the micellar water, the eye cream & moisturizer, or the face & eye primers? I'm kind of leaning towards the primers but I don't know...

I just got the email offering a free box (just pay shipping) as well, and I can't decide what to get! For those that have had the subscription awhile, which do you think is better: the micellar water, the eye cream & moisturizer, or the face & eye primers? I'm kind of leaning towards the primers but I don't know...
I didn't get the micellar water, but I loved the primer set. 

Think I might try the micellar cleansing water.  I'm almost out of bioderma. =/

Back