GlossyBox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cancelled my monthly subscription to subscribe for a 3-month plan on September 8, 2012 and was charged for my September box on my 3-month plan on the same day.:) 

Originally Posted by xochitlsays /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it was very easy to make and took me less than an hour!

:]
I am definitely trying this. It's so cute:)

I just joined GB after reading the reviews from everyone! Now I am just as excited to see what is in it too! I have been getting depressed a little by Birchbox, so I thought I would give GB a try!:clap
How exciting! Hope you love it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Glossy is by far my favorite subscription!  I have loved everything so far, and feel like it's a great value for what we receive.  I can't wait to get the September box!!!

I second this. I sometimes don't really have a use for some of the products but the sizes (TAKE NOTE BB) and the actual items themselves are very nice!! Definitely one of my top 3!

Originally Posted by hippiemama76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glossy is by far my favorite subscription!  I have loved everything so far, and feel like it's a great value for what we receive.  I can't wait to get the September box!!!

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I second this. I sometimes don't really have a use for some of the products but the sizes (TAKE NOTE BB) and the actual items themselves are very nice!! Definitely one of my top 3!
Man, I am so in love with Glossybox I am happy when they charge my card even its an extra $1.86 from the $21. I still use the products months later!

I got the shipping email yesterday and cancelled this morning. I am starting to hit the breaks on the sample subscriptions (looking in my sample drawers is a reality check) and Glossybox is the most expensive and the easiest to resubscribe.

anddd I got a not so cheap purse this month, so I am over my limit anyway 
sheep.gif

I have these weird mixed feelings with Glossybox, on one hand I like the types of products they send, as well as the sizes, but the fact that they have usually been pretty awful colors (like clearanced shades) really rubs me the wrong way. I am more likely to enjoy a small sample of a product from a familiar brand then some obscure "show off" mascara etc. We shall see what Sept brings. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the shipping email yesterday and cancelled this morning. I am starting to hit the breaks on the sample subscriptions (looking in my sample drawers is a reality check) and Glossybox is the most expensive and the easiest to resubscribe.

anddd I got a not so cheap purse this month, so I am over my limit anyway 
sheep.gif

I have these weird mixed feelings with Glossybox, on one hand I like the types of products they send, as well as the sizes, but the fact that they have usually been pretty awful colors (like clearanced shades) really rubs me the wrong way. I am more likely to enjoy a small sample of a product from a familiar brand then some obscure "show off" mascara etc. We shall see what Sept brings. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That Show Off mascara was so bad... I am a mascara lover who can't say no to any mascara, even if it doesn't meet my usual standards. The Show Off mascara certainly wore well, but I don't know what was wrong with the brush... I had such major goopy lashes from it, even if I wiped the brush along the side (which I know is something of a no-no). I tried many times but always got the same goopy sloppy chunky result. At first I thought it was just because it was a new tube (I often have this problem with any given new tube of mascara the first 3-4 uses), but I can't even use it as a second coat atop a different mascara. I don't think I've ever experienced a mascara experience this negative, to be honest!

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That Show Off mascara was so bad... I am a mascara lover who can't say no to any mascara, even if it doesn't meet my usual standards. The Show Off mascara certainly wore well, but I don't know what was wrong with the brush... I had such major goopy lashes from it, even if I wiped the brush along the side (which I know is something of a no-no). I tried many times but always got the same goopy sloppy chunky result. At first I thought it was just because it was a new tube (I often have this problem with any given new tube of mascara the first 3-4 uses), but I can't even use it as a second coat atop a different mascara. I don't think I've ever experienced a mascara experience this negative, to be honest!
I had the SAME problem and it kept getting worse. I actually really liked the mascara too :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

May try a different brush, but I have so many others that I will probably just give it to my daughter.

I had the same problem at first so I ended up, like you, wiping off excess product on the inside part of the tube before applying (and I swipe the brush off probably 5 or 6 times). This method really works well for me and now I absolutely love the mascara! I only use one coat, and I use the convex side of the brush to coat my lashes instead of the concave side because I still found that to be a bit clumpy. Works fabulously!

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the same problem at first so I ended up, like you, wiping off excess product on the inside part of the tube before applying (and I swipe the brush off probably 5 or 6 times). This method really works well for me and now I absolutely love the mascara! I only use one coat, and I use the convex side of the brush to coat my lashes instead of the concave side because I still found that to be a bit clumpy. Works fabulously!
yeah..i think the mascara really gave me uber plumped lashes...but being that I am not a dramatic mascara person, i used it like twice. I normally just coat my lashes with clear lash conditioner, or if I use mascara, it's almost always colored mascara. I love the bit of color instead of the blk or brown, but a good one is hard to find (most tend to irritate my eyes...dunno why).

I am feeling a bit meh about GlossyBox so far...the July box was quite a disaster for me, I gave away the pedi cream (tp my stepdad, who loved it, and now we can't buy it in the states), since I do not use, and the Senna lip gloss was horrible, it went straight to the trash bin. I have yet to use the shampoo & conditioner, and the only thing I liked was the Caswell Massey lotion.

June was my first month with them, and it was the same thing...I used the SheaTerra, which was delicious. The Wella conditioner was ok, nothing to rave about, and the perfume was sorta disgusting for a perfume for me. The mascara was good, as stated, but I am not a blk mascara kinda girl.

The shave cream is untouched, since I do not need to shave, and the Kinerase is being used right now...still about 1/2 way through...I have wayyy too much samples & vials of cream to try.

My August box was by far the best for me, in terms of things I actually use. I love the Illamasqua polish (taint), since it has a nice chocolatey brown..my Ellis Faas was a sheer brown also, which isn't my fave, but I'll live...the only thing I dont like is the primer, kinda weird and sticky.

I currently use the Ole Serum anyway, so this was a nice addition. The hair oil is just that, oil, nothing different than any other ones...IMO.

Originally Posted by PAsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am feeling a bit meh about GlossyBox so far...the July box was quite a disaster for me, I gave away the pedi cream (tp my stepdad, who loved it, and now we can't buy it in the states), since I do not use, and the Senna lip gloss was horrible, it went straight to the trash bin. I have yet to use the shampoo & conditioner, and the only thing I liked was the Caswell Massey lotion.

June was my first month with them, and it was the same thing...I used the SheaTerra, which was delicious. The Wella conditioner was ok, nothing to rave about, and the perfume was sorta disgusting for a perfume for me. The mascara was good, as stated, but I am not a blk mascara kinda girl.

The shave cream is untouched, since I do not need to shave, and the Kinerase is being used right now...still about 1/2 way through...I have wayyy too much samples & vials of cream to try.

My August box was by far the best for me, in terms of things I actually use. I love the Illamasqua polish (taint), since it has a nice chocolatey brown..my Ellis Faas was a sheer brown also, which isn't my fave, but I'll live...the only thing I dont like is the primer, kinda weird and sticky.

I currently use the Ole Serum anyway, so this was a nice addition. The hair oil is just that, oil, nothing different than any other ones...IMO.
Even with all that said, I still went ahead and bought the R29 3 month deal anyways...LOL. Hello my name is P. and i am a sub addict!

Even with all that said, I still went ahead and bought the R29 3 month deal anyways...LOL. Hello my name is P. and i am a sub addict!
Ha! You are an addict. I did the same, but I am really loving my Glossyboxes. They started out a little uneven IMO but this past box blew me away with the Ellis Faas. I actually went out and bought 2 more of the Glazed Lips and have another coming to me through the swap board. I really like the Ole and the hair oil is, like you said, nothing special, but definitely something I am using. The primer and nail polish went up for trade but even so, all of the products were great sizes and I think it is unrealistic to expect every item in the box to be a winner - as long as I have a couple winners in those nice deluxe sizes, I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ha! You are an addict. I did the same, but I am really loving my Glossyboxes. They started out a little uneven IMO but this past box blew me away with the Ellis Faas. I actually went out and bought 2 more of the Glazed Lips and have another coming to me through the swap board. I really like the Ole and the hair oil is, like you said, nothing special, but definitely something I am using. The primer and nail polish went up for trade but even so, all of the products were great sizes and I think it is unrealistic to expect every item in the box to be a winner - as long as I have a couple winners in those nice deluxe sizes, I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

OMG...2 Eliss Fass bought??? did you take advantage of the discount offered through Glossybox? I  agreed about the good size samples, and yes, i know these are sample subs, not full size purchases..so it is a hit & miss combined, but I do appreciate Sample Society & Birchbox for at least providing samples from brands that have somewhat established themselves (aka...that most of us have heard of). Sometimes when something is totally new to me (doesnt mean they're totally new, just to me)...I get a bit hesitant, and sometimes the hesitancy turned out to be reality....ummm....Senna Gloss anyone?

No, I didn't even think to do that! But I bought them from Beauty.com to get the big autumn GWP thing they had (the sample-filled Vamp cosmetic bag by Costello Tagliapietra) so I don't feel quite so bad about paying full price. I see your point about established brands (and I am still trying to offload my Senna and OFRA samples on the swap board, LOL) but Ellis Faas and Caswell-Massey are two brands I had never heard of that I just love now, whereas the Stila and Alterna and Boscia stuff from BB is all over Sephora and Ulta. Not that I don't appreciate having those samples to try, but it is nice to discover these surprise brands that really wow me.

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh, I might pull it back out of the wastebasket and give it another try... It wears really well, just the application is cruddy.

Originally Posted by moonbunny7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I gave in to temptation and decided to subscribe 
smile.gif
I don't mean to sound like an enabler here lol, but good for you! Hehe :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooh, I might pull it back out of the wastebasket and give it another try... It wears really well, just the application is cruddy.
Yay! Hope it works out for you! Basically, as long as you get off as much excess as you can and use the other side of the brush so your lashes are coming into less contact with any excess that remains (if that makes sense), the mascara works great. Nice long lashes! The packaging could use a little work, though.

Back