SCAM ALERT! Ready, Steady, Go! aka beautyinaboxmakeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, a lot of folks launching a business "on the fly" these days just skim over the basics of (frequently outdated) books on Internet marketing and make egregious errors such as these. They notice the "post your link to places with a common interest" but neglect the "make yourself a part of the community" part that makes it so different from spamming. It's about a zillion times worse among musicians. I can barely even look at the FB pages of some of my friends because they're THAT cluttered by self-promoting posts.

Even though she discloses that they are replicas, she seems to be using the MAC name & packaging which is most definitely illegal.

"Replica" is such a fun word, to disguise that it's FAKE. Sure, she's covering herself to an extent by disclosing that, but I still do NOT dig that folks WILL buy counterfeit cosmetics, ESPECIALLY when they KNOW it's counterfeit. Sorry, but I am just not enough of a brand fascist to think that something is automatically better because there's a MAC logo on it (legit or NOT, ya know?) There are plenty of INEXPENSIVE HIGH QUALITY brands out there, and my personality is such that I'd MUCH rather be the one introducing my friends to a new company that actually rocks, rather than faking out a brand name. 

Knockoffs? Fine. I DO have some of these (The Revlon versions of Lippmann colors, for example)

Fakes? Not fine.

Yeah, there's a difference between a dupe or a knockoff and a fake. I would, in fact, be amused by and interested in a box that was marketed to contain dupes -- like putting together a set of the Revlon lip butters that mimic the Tartes, or Revlon's ever-popular Chanel/Lippmann dupes, if something like that would be possible. But if you give me fake Chinese uncontrolled-quality crap, I will not be a happy consumer.

Originally Posted by Caryatid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, there's a difference between a dupe or a knockoff and a fake. I would, in fact, be amused by and interested in a box that was marketed to contain dupes -- like putting together a set of the Revlon lip butters that mimic the Tartes, or Revlon's ever-popular Chanel/Lippmann dupes, if something like that would be possible. But if you give me fake Chinese uncontrolled-quality crap, I will not be a happy consumer.
Agree!

I reported msmac to storenvy. They got back to me and thanked me for letting them know she was using their product to sell fakes.

Just a small update. They now claim to sell 'discontinued' high end cosmetics on their FB page.
eek.gif

Yuk! I feel so sorry for those being scammed. Facebook should be ashamed of themselves for allowing a crooked page to remain up.

Ms. MAC Make-up seems like a huge scam as well to me. She also provides fake mac in a subscription service. I am pretty sure most of the clients are not aware that they are fakes either considering when I posted asking about such things my posts are deleted. Oh also she claims....

Quote:  FYI ...We are not affiliated with ANY Retail Cosmetics Company. We offer a mix of dupes & authentic products.

Pretty big move to say you are offering authentic product as I remember reading mac does not provide their products for these type of services. Yet I believe MANY if not LOTS of women have been suckered into her program thinking it is the real thing based on her company name "Ms. MAC Make-Up"

Maybe she means authentically fake?

Originally Posted by beautyjunkie206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ms. MAC Make-up seems like a huge scam as well to me. She also provides fake mac in a subscription service. I am pretty sure most of the clients are not aware that they are fakes either considering when I posted asking about such things my posts are deleted. Oh also she claims....

Pretty big move to say you are offering authentic product as I remember reading mac does not provide their products for these type of services. Yet I believe MANY if not LOTS of women have been suckered into her program thinking it is the real thing based on her company name "Ms. MAC Make-Up"

The facebook page for beauty in a box had disappeared! Or maybe another name change? Anyone know?

They posted this on Sept.6th. So I guess they are no more!

Quote: Ladies, due to high shipping costs and provider complications we have decided to no longer offer the Beauty In a Box experience. We apologize to those of you who have supported us in our attempt to provide an affordable service. Unfortunately it has not worked out in our favor. We hope you can all understand and appreciate all the interest.   We would only want the best for all of our subscribers! Please remember if for any reason you need to contact us you can do so here by sending us a direct message or send an email to [email protected].  

I call malarkey on that. My guess is that MAC and the other companies who were contacted finally got them to shut down.

I am not sure about that because there is still Ms. MAC Make up as well as "Ooh La La Makeup" which is again another one popping up. Might wanna check them out too !! 

pffft. well that didn't last long. Their first box was supposed to come out this month. Well less fake product out there for someone to buy.

Back