April 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The definition of addiction is doing something that used to make you feel good, but now it makes you feel bad...and you do it anyway.

I think a few of us can relate, yeah?

But Day One is down! We can do this!

Well, I've decided to try something different to help my "no-buy" month. I have a basket full of free samples and I really need to use them, so I am going to "go shopping" in my own cabinet and use one sample per day, then blog about it later!

Sounds like a great plan! I've definitely been binge-buying over the last few months--spent more in a three-month period on beauty stuff than I did the entire previous year (even though a lot of what I get is really inexpensive due to couponing and sampling). But I'm proud that I just cancelled a sub--even though it was a cool one, I'm really not likely to buy the products, and that $15 a month can go towards something that I already love.

I deleted my payment options for Sephora (JCP credit card & my debit card).. I'm going to put my credit cards away somewhere, since they're the main culprit of my excess. And I'm only going to use the $16.xx I have in eBay bucks for eBay until I get my shit together.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I deleted my payment options for Sephora (JCP credit card & my debit card).. I'm going to put my credit cards away somewhere, since they're the main culprit of my excess. And I'm only going to use the $16.xx I have in eBay bucks for eBay until I get my shit together.

Love it.

Whatever it takes, right? I just keep looking around and going "Uh, why in the HELL did I buy this? How many purple eyeshadows does one gal NEED?" etc.

The past weekend I made two Sephora trips and both times and spent a total of $100 (which isn't THAT bad), but I definitely could of skipped out on UD primer and NARS Hot Wired lip lacquer. That would of saved me almost $50. I gotta admit, I love the NARS gloss tho :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This month I will limit myself to ONE nail polish and ONE cosmetic item. I'm also hoping that my subs will keep me happy, and that BA actually ships out my box this month.

I am exactly on no-buy for one month! Well, at the end of March I kinda got a palette I really need, for $4 lol, so I would stop getting singles one at a time. For me, no buy is not buying something I want, things I need do not count, so I stopped buying anything related to cosmetics (skincare doesn't count YET because I've only used moisturizers before, but I am in my mid-20s so it's never too late to start treating myself)

But I've gotten pretty enough amount of skincare from the subs, so I haven't bought anything at all recently.

I filled my ULTA cart with $61 stuff then I thought, do I need so many make up? NO. Is there anything I NEED from the ULTA sample bags? I see a bunch of good stuff there, which I would love to try but NO, I don't need anything from there. So I did not check out.

I deleted my credit card info from haute look, ulta, and beauty bar. One step at a time! 

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am exactly on no-buy for one month! Well, at the end of March I kinda got a palette I really need, for $4 lol, so I would stop getting singles one at a time. For me, no buy is not buying something I want, things I need do not count, so I stopped buying anything related to cosmetics (skincare doesn't count YET because I've only used moisturizers before, but I am in my mid-20s so it's never too late to start treating myself)

But I've gotten pretty enough amount of skincare from the subs, so I haven't bought anything at all recently.

I filled my ULTA cart with $61 stuff then I thought, do I need so many make up? NO. Is there anything I NEED from the ULTA sample bags? I see a bunch of good stuff there, which I would love to try but NO, I don't need anything from there. So I did not check out.
Proud of you for that! It's so easy to get caught up in the "free gift with purchase" trap isn't it?

I did the same with HauteLook!

You guys all rock! I got all the emails I have been getting from Ulta, HauteLook, Sephora, etc etc and filtered them to be deleted automatically so I don't even see them.

GUYS I JUST GOT A PROMOTION AND A RAISE. 

Which makes my no buy less necessary financially, but still very necessary space wise. And if I don't, I'm sure it will get out of hand quickly with me spending the additional income on eyeshadow lol. 

Congrats
yay.gif

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which makes my no buy less necessary financially, but still very necessary space wise. And if I don't, I'm sure it will get out of hand quickly with me spending the additional income on eyeshadow lol. 

Congratulations!!

Congratulations! I feel that no buy does not only help financially, but help us to stay focused on using up what we've already had. I have over 20 lip products and I have only one pair of lips, that's way too much for me! I don't need 10 shades of pink when they all look the same on my lips! (yep, I am a sucker for pink lip products)

Yay!

party.gif
beer.gif
rocknroll2.gif
claps.gif
arco.gif

CONGRATS!!!!!

Congrats Jenna!!! That's awesome! 

And congrats to anyone who successfully made it through another day!

Congratulations!

Back