April 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just looked at this sample bag you were all talking about and omg it's amazing.

So, I ordered it lol. BUT I DIDN'T BREAK MY NO BUY! 

They don't sell the large sizes of my shampoo and conditioner in my ulta store but they have them online and they are a better deal than the size I've been buying, so I ordered those since I need them anyway. Plus shipping was free, so why NOT get a high value sample bag along with it? Yes its more stuff to store, but it didn't cost me any extra money.
So you had to buy the shampoo and conditioner because they are regular household stuff, but the samples were free, right? Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I need at Ulta that would qualify as not breaking my no buy.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm also really hoping that this no-buy/project pan will help curb my intense love for high end stuff. A year ago, Physician's Formula (which is a great brand!) was the most expensive line that I had, with the exception of my orgasm blush. Now I've got NARS, Benefit, and UD comin' out the butt lol. I've kinda become a major makeup snob, and my wallet would really appreciate it if I cut it the heck out. 
I still like my drugstore makeup in addition to my high-end samples. However, high-end skincare now has its claws in me. But there is so much skincare in my subs that it's not a problem, because I also like to try new ones. The only two that I am tempted to buy full size are Dermalogica Microfoliant and DDF Brightening Cleanser. I still have plenty of both, and many others to try that I could potentially like better. The pretty colors of makeup are more of a temptation.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you had to buy the shampoo and conditioner because they are regular household stuff, but the samples were free, right? Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I need at Ulta that would qualify as not breaking my no buy.

Yup, and I only use devacurl, which is only available through my salon and ulta, and I'm out of both anyway. So good excuses, of course, but also a purchase I would've made anyway. 

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I deleted my payment options for Sephora (JCP credit card & my debit card).. I'm going to put my credit cards away somewhere, since they're the main culprit of my excess. And I'm only going to use the $16.xx I have in eBay bucks for eBay until I get my shit together.
Impressive!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Love it.

Whatever it takes, right? I just keep looking around and going "Uh, why in the HELL did I buy this? How many purple eyeshadows does one gal NEED?" etc.
Mmm...purple eyeshadow. It calls to me. Teal is even worse.

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The past weekend I made two Sephora trips and both times and spent a total of $100 (which isn't THAT bad), but I definitely could of skipped out on UD primer and NARS Hot Wired lip lacquer. That would of saved me almost $50. I gotta admit, I love the NARS gloss tho :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This month I will limit myself to ONE nail polish and ONE cosmetic item. I'm also hoping that my subs will keep me happy, and that BA actually ships out my box this month.
My problem isn't money, it's stuff. It's not that I have a lot of money, but my inner poor child won't let me spend $100 in one shot, even when I have it. (Monumentally, I did use my December bonus for annual Birchbox and MyGlam; totally out of character.) But if I have coupons, discounts, and freebies, I will clutter up every storage space I have.

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am exactly on no-buy for one month! Well, at the end of March I kinda got a palette I really need, for $4 lol, so I would stop getting singles one at a time. For me, no buy is not buying something I want, things I need do not count, so I stopped buying anything related to cosmetics (skincare doesn't count YET because I've only used moisturizers before, but I am in my mid-20s so it's never too late to start treating myself)

But I've gotten pretty enough amount of skincare from the subs, so I haven't bought anything at all recently.

I filled my ULTA cart with $61 stuff then I thought, do I need so many make up? NO. Is there anything I NEED from the ULTA sample bags? I see a bunch of good stuff there, which I would love to try but NO, I don't need anything from there. So I did not check out.
Good job! I had to resist this one, too.

I deleted my credit card info from haute look, ulta, and beauty bar. One step at a time! 
Wow, awesome self-discipline!

GUYS I JUST GOT A PROMOTION AND A RAISE. 

Which makes my no buy less necessary financially, but still very necessary space wise. And if I don't, I'm sure it will get out of hand quickly with me spending the additional income on eyeshadow lol. 
Good for you! It takes even more self-control to not go crazy when you have the money.

I definatly agree! I had got a 2$ raise & ever since then I've been broker than when I made less! It's crazy you make more you spend more :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (in my case.. but much of it was to new bills that came along right when I got my job)

Good for you! It takes even more self-control to not go crazy when you have the money.

Oooh, teal eyeshadow. I love it. Err, I guess I mean that I love the idea of it. I buy it, but I pretty much never ever wear it. 

Mmm...purple eyeshadow. It calls to me. Teal is even worse.

I used to wear teal eyeshadow like every day. I still have MAC Aquadisiac and Blue Absinthe, which is what I wore. They are nearly identical, but gorgeous. I feel too old to wear fun eye makeup though, even though I'm only 25.

Oooh, teal eyeshadow. I love it. Err, I guess I mean that I love the idea of it. I buy it, but I pretty much never ever wear it. 
It is a little difficult to wear, although I see it look fantastic on other people. After testing others, I finally got the one that works for me: Odalisque by MAC. It's from their Mega Metal formula, and it's huge. It cost me like $15.00 on one of the flash sale websites. That said, it only looks right on me if I do it with dramatic brows and black eyeliner. So far, at least.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to wear teal eyeshadow like every day. I still have MAC Aquadisiac and Blue Absinthe, which is what I wore. They are nearly identical, but gorgeous. I feel too old to wear fun eye makeup though, even though I'm only 25.
You can still rock fun colors. I am 30 and get the most compliments when I wear my teal eyeshadow. My whole eye has to be dramatic with it, and nude or super light pink lips, very subtle blush. Or, if you still feel funny, use your teal eyeshadows as a liner for a little pop. I have to tone things down a little being 30, but you are still in the 20s crowd. Just my opinion. My 26-year old friends look fantastic in colors. Oh, I've also found that it looks a little more mature if you have the bright teal in the crease, but with a charcoal color darkening the outer v of your eyes, so the teal doesn't seem to take over. (makeupgeek.com has really good tutorials on how to do a good outer v.)

I need to follow tutorials to learn how to do makeup but I am so lazy. That is a good tip though!

Also, I've been using the Fresh Sugar lip treatment I got from Sephora (the bday duo, even though my bday is in May, my Sephora is cool like that though).. and it solved my gross cracky lip problem. I am 95% likely to buy this full sized when I'm out, though probably through BB if I ever get to 200 points, so it'll be really cheap.

Teal is such a wonderful color. I got compliments wearing teal too! They rock behind my thick eyeglasses with black eyeliner, make my eyes look bigger and brighter.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna bust out a tokidoki palette that has a bright pretty blue color in it. It's not exactly teal, but it's another color I don't use nearly enough! 

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Teal is such a wonderful color. I got compliments wearing teal too! They rock behind my think eyeglasses with black eyeliner, make my eyes look bigger and brighter.

You can still rock fun colors. I am 30 and get the most compliments when I wear my teal eyeshadow. My whole eye has to be dramatic with it, and nude or super light pink lips, very subtle blush. Or, if you still feel funny, use your teal eyeshadows as a liner for a little pop. I have to tone things down a little being 30, but you are still in the 20s crowd. Just my opinion. My 26-year old friends look fantastic in colors. Oh, I've also found that it looks a little more mature if you have the bright teal in the crease, but with a charcoal color darkening the outer v of your eyes, so the teal doesn't seem to take over. (makeupgeek.com has really good tutorials on how to do a good outer v.)

I am 42 and still wear TEAL. You just have to blend, blend and blend. I wear it with gold, black and brown shadows.

I'll be forty in a couple of months, and I wear whatever I damn well please! If well-applied, there is no reason to quit wearing a color just because you're getting older--if your skin tone changes, then just go with a slightly different shade!

(Says the girl with the nails that are walking glitter bombs)

Back