Birchbox April 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suppose that I see people getting products that I always want to try and that would fit me more - it kinda makes me have major box envy.  I spend the same amount, yet others get better products or more (I know, others may envy my box, but not often).  It is rather unfair at times - they need to make a fairer system -perhaps not so many box variations.

I stick with it, because yes, I have found some stuff that I like (the percentage is not high). I just want a box that really speaks to me. I have been with them since July 2012- and have yet to have a box that just says 'This Is You '.  I've tried to tailor my profile and what not...I dunno...maybe it isn't for me.  I just keep with it, because I just keep hoping for "The Box."  

Oh BB - I just don't get our relationship.   I feel like if I quit you - I would be missing out on something big.
This kind of thinking I just don't get.  If I was this unhappy with birchbox, I would just quit.  For me, $10 is not worth feeling upset or jealous every month.

You also have to remember, that the profiles are still very vague.  Part of what make a certain box fit you perfectly (in your opinion) is that it is probably filled with things/brands that you like, which honestly birchbox has no way of knowing.  You just have to remember that just because you think that you would like another box better, doesn't mean that the one you get doesn't fit your profile.

Originally Posted by lolas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto on the macadamia boxes...so disappointed. However, I did have 3 months of great boxes, so I don't mind a downer every once in a while.

Speaking of past BB products, I just splurged and got the Clark's Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream for 20% off and I am so excited!! My sensitive, acne prone skin loves it.
FYI ulta sells the travel sizes of macadamia products for $4-7 each if you still want to try it for awhile before you commit.

There's such a huge difference between how good a box looks, and how much I like what I got, after I tried it. I've been regularly getting samples that I want to try, and then ending up hardly liking any of them. lol My satisfaction level is still pretty high, because I always feel like I end up with things I am happy to use, and I still manage to find something new and wonderful sometimes. But I just think it's funny how some boxes seem better because of brands, makeup, or sample sizes, and then it'll turn out I hate the thing I was most happy to get, and something I was less excited about turns out to be wonderful. I do love Birchbox, because of that.

Don't get me wrong - I have found stuff that I have really liked and I like the idea of BB.  Every month as the boxes start to roll on out - I see a couple of boxes of stuff I really really want to try or fits my profile (example: Hair products that actually fit my hair type).  I wouldn't care if I got something I really wanted to try but was disappointed in it afterwards.

I really wanted to try the primer that was out in March - but ended up not liking it.  I love makeup (esp. eye makeup), so I was happy to actually try it and glad I did before I just went and blindly bought it.  

I stick with it, again because I don't want to miss out on "the box" and "to be able to find a HG product."  Yes, there were products that have surprised me.  But again - if I'm getting products that don't match me all - it kinda stinks. 

I don't like the box disparity.  Someone may get a box worth 45 + bucks and someone will get the 10 buck box - how is that fair?  I know life isn't fair - but as a consumer - person A should not get something more when person B is putting in the same amount of money of month.  I just hope BB gets that there needs to be a more box evenness.  

I just don't wanna be look down upon  because my opinion at this time is kinda low. 

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't get me wrong - I have found stuff that I have really liked and I like the idea of BB.  Every month as the boxes start to roll on out - I see a couple of boxes of stuff I really really want to try or fits my profile (example: Hair products that actually fit my hair type).  I wouldn't care if I got something I really wanted to try but was disappointed in it afterwards.

I really wanted to try the primer that was out in March - but ended up not liking it.  I love makeup (esp. eye makeup), so I was happy to actually try it and glad I did before I just went and blindly bought it.  

I stick with it, again because I don't want to miss out on "the box" and "to be able to find a HG product."  Yes, there were products that have surprised me.  But again - if I'm getting products that don't match me all - it kinda stinks. 

I don't like the box disparity.  Someone may get a box worth 45 + bucks and someone will get the 10 buck box - how is that fair?  I know life isn't fair - but as a consumer - person A should not get something more when person B is putting in the same amount of money of month.  I just hope BB gets that there needs to be a more box evenness.  

I just don't wanna be look down upon  because my opinion at this time is kinda low. 
I haven't seen that much box disparity in the past few months.  I personally liked that I might occasionally get a high value box or a full sized item, and I did a few times.  I also received some of the lower value boxes, but I figured it would even itself out over time anyhow.  Given the subscription numbers, I don't think it's realistic that Birchbox would be able to include high value or full sized items in every box, but it was exciting to know that I might possibly receive one. Now, they seem to be more even, which means I'm not seeing the high value/full sized items anymore:-(  On the plus side, the sample sizes do seem to be deluxe samples or multiples of the foil packets.

I don't view sneak peeks prior to receiving my box, which helps to cut down on box envy/unmet expectations.  I like the surprise element!

I think they've been better about box disparity, but value is really hard to quantify.  3 uses of a $200 face cream might be really valuable when people do the calculations but it isn't something I would ever spend that much money on, and I'd rather have a conditioner foil for my hair that is worth a lot less.  When people do their own valuations based on preference I often disagree with them, a lot.  

I have kicked up a stink about samples that I think really are worth 0, like foundation or lipgloss that isn't enough for a whole application.  Outside of that though, I never feel like I don't get my $10 worth.

I guess I am pretty easy to please because I just like trying new things and if I come across something I don't like I just gift it.

FYI ulta sells the travel sizes of macadamia products for $4-7 each if you still want to try it for awhile before you commit.
Thanks for the tip! I have an ulta by my house...I'll be stopping by after work!

Originally Posted by lolas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto on the macadamia boxes...so disappointed. However, I did have 3 months of great boxes, so I don't mind a downer every once in a while.

Speaking of past BB products, I just splurged and got the Clark's Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream for 20% off and I am so excited!! My sensitive, acne prone skin loves it.
im saving up my points on my 2nd account just for that i was amazed with the sample i got, i normally dont go for very high end things like that i feel they dont make that much of a difference but the first time i used that sample omg my skin felt sooooooo good!

Thanks for the tip! I have an ulta by my house...I'll be stopping by after work!
If you go to their website they offer a 6 pack sample kit for $2.95 with free shipping or if you contact them they gove out free samples.

I just got a coupon code in my email for 20% off...it says "We're out to win you over" and it has to be used by the 31st. I don't know if everyone got one, or if they just sent it to me because I have over 700 points, but I'm not budging haha.

Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you go to their website they offer a 6 pack sample kit for $2.95 with free shipping or if you contact them they gove out free samples.
Thanks so much for this info! Just placed my order for the macadamia sample set.   I've always been curious about the products from video reviews on youtube but didn't want to make that investment on something that didn't work.  $3 isn't that huge of a loss. 

Hmm so I wonder since I am already a sub to Women's Health if I would get a $9.99 refund?  That would be awesomeness...

I just got a coupon code in my email for 20% off...it says "We're out to win you over" and it has to be used by the 31st. I don't know if everyone got one, or if they just sent it to me because I have over 700 points, but I'm not budging haha.
I have over a thousand and didn't get that one! When was the last time you placed an order? That might have something to do with it.

Originally Posted by Zakiya08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm so I wonder since I am already a sub to Women's Health if I would get a $9.99 refund?  That would be awesomeness...
why would they give you a refund? Are you asking birchbox or the magazine company?

Originally Posted by Zakiya08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They will most likely just  add a year to your subscription to Women's Health.

On a side note, I started getting Vogue Magazine, but I don't know where the subscription came from.  I didn't order it.

Originally Posted by spmblueeyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got it too and I only have 100 points. I did end up using it, so I guess they won me :)

Originally Posted by ttanner2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, I started getting Vogue Magazine, but I don't know where the subscription came from.  I didn't order it.
Ulta likes to send people magazines they haven't asked for.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have over a thousand and didn't get that one! When was the last time you placed an order? That might have something to do with it.
On that account its been since....November....I don't know if you could use the code, but I'd gladly give it to you if it'll let you. I'm holding off because May is my 1 year, and 25 is always better than 20 lol.

Back