Birchbox February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe this is why I'm always happy with my bb. I wasn't around when they gave out these deluxe samples. My first box had a full size mascara and a decent size nail polish. My second was a huge Mary luminizer that I will never get through. Third had the frownies which were multiple use. I guess my expectations are low lol.

Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe this is why I'm always happy with my bb. I wasn't around when they gave out these deluxe samples. My first box had a full size mascara and a decent size nail polish. My second was a huge Mary luminizer that I will never get through. Third had the frownies which were multiple use. I guess my expectations are low lol.
My thoughts exactly. I'm on my 5th box and I've had a few foil samples (nexxus hair stuff in my first box) but mostly deluxe, and a couple full sized too. I have gotten a perfume each month which I don't mind - I've found 2 scents I LOVE so no loss there.

Also the points can't be beat. I've spent $50 on BB so far and have roughly $29 in credit to their store, add the two full sized products (both of which I love and use often) in and those things alone have paid for my boxes. All the additional deluxe samples are a bonus and a great way to try new things/new colors you may not have bought yourself. A total win all around for me. 

Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people are just getting pickier. I've been with BB for a long time now and I'm still satisfied every month. Even in the beginning, I often got perfume samples or other things that I might not have been particularly interested in, that's just the gamble with BB. Like I said, I'm still satisfied every month and I probably won't ever cancel because paying $10 for a box of samples (and that price includes them shipping it to me) is fun. I get a little tired of seeing people grumble on here about how horrible their box is and how that want to cancel because of it; everyone gets a box every once in a while that they aren't completely fond of. Birchbox still has the points system, which IMO is better than any of the other companies' rewards, and their customer service has always helped me. Sorry, that got off on a weird rant. Anywhoooo, Jamie, I'm glad to see that you have enjoyed all of your boxes!

Originally Posted by BisousDarling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think people are just getting pickier. I've been with BB for a long time now and I'm still satisfied every month. Even in the beginning, I often got perfume samples or other things that I might not have been particularly interested in, that's just the gamble with BB. Like I said, I'm still satisfied every month and I probably won't ever cancel because paying $10 for a box of samples (and that price includes them shipping it to me) is fun. I get a little tired of seeing people grumble on here about how horrible their box is and how that want to cancel because of it; everyone gets a box every once in a while that they aren't completely fond of. Birchbox still has the points system, which IMO is better than any of the other companies' rewards, and their customer service has always helped me. Sorry, that got off on a weird rant. Anywhoooo, Jamie, I'm glad to see that you have enjoyed all of your boxes!
I totally agree with you!  I won't ever cancel either because it's so much fun and the rewards beat everyone else's.  I've found so many products that I have loved trying even if I didn't end up buying them.  It is a discovery service after all!  I think you're right.  People are getting pickier.  : /

Originally Posted by vogliadivintage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree with you!  I won't ever cancel either because it's so much fun and the rewards beat everyone else's.  I've found so many products that I have loved trying even if I didn't end up buying them.  It is a discovery service after all!  I think you're right.  People are getting pickier.  : /
I think part of it also just has to do with box envy, and that sometimes we label a box as the "punishment" box.  I've found at least one product that I have loved in every box I've received, with one exception (I've been a sub since the Gossip Girl box).  But while I've gotten boxes that I've been really happy with (and a few including my first box AND this past box that I've felt fit me perfectly), there have been a couple boxes that I'd feel box envy just because I didn't get a box that was labeled as the "good" box, or the box that was most coveted. 

Originally Posted by vogliadivintage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed! Never cancelling my BB's!

I agree; i've gone back through all my boxes to see what i've recieved.. and i've recieved some really great stuff; and was introduced to some game changers for me.   Between those new products and the BB points... not sure how you can go wrong!

Life Changing / LOVED!
Beauty Blender
Stila all over shimmer
ModelCo Lip Gloss in Nude
Oscar Blandi Spray
Color Club Gray
ChocoPod
Frownies

Fresh Lotus

Used/Really Enjoyed
Twistband
Tili Bag
21 Drops
Luna Bar

Hot Mama

Number 4

Tried but not for me
Marie Veronique Organic Oil
Go Sleep Over Kit
Juice B CC Cream

Skinny Chic

Um; No thanks (added to my trade list)
Kate Spade Twirl
Chantecaille Gloss (just not my color)
DDF Pore Minimizer
Atelier Cologne Rose
Miracle Skin
Cartier Parfumes (2)
Nick Chavez Volume Shampoo

And it is funny...some people complain about not getting full sized products, but my 2 full sized products I've received (Eyeko skinny eyeliner in blue and ModelCo Fibre Lashxtend Mascara) have been 2 of my least favorite products.  In my case, I would have rather had other samples than these full sized ones.  I think that's part of the fun and the "game" of it. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And it is funny...some people complain about not getting full sized products, but my 2 full sized products I've received (Eyeko skinny eyeliner in blue and ModelCo Fibre Lashxtend Mascara) have been 2 of my least favorite products.  In my case, I would have rather had other samples than these full sized ones.  I think that's part of the fun and the "game" of it. 
smile.gif
Same here. I have a full sized Stila bronzer that's way too shimmery/weirdly colored for me, as well as a Stila eyeliner that I use sometimes, but not a whole lot because it's bright blue. I've found a lot more value in some of the smaller samples I've gotten.

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here. I have a full sized Stila bronzer that's way too shimmery/weirdly colored for me, as well as a Stila eyeliner that I use sometimes, but not a whole lot because it's bright blue. I've found a lot more value in some of the smaller samples I've gotten.
Ugh!! That bronzer is awful!! I couldn't do a thing with it.

you can as me to the happy camper list! 9months in and still get excited over that little pink box! I've been really lucky though. It just depends on the person. I'm loving the ddf right now, but it a on other peoples trade lists.

Originally Posted by Meshybelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh!! That bronzer is awful!! I couldn't do a thing with it.
I tried it on my hand and hated the texture and then gave it to a relative; living in a very tropical area I though it would melt right off my face from the humidity. Benefit's Hoola is perfection for pale people like me though.

Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif
Same here. November was the month I started getting 3 boxes instead of 2, and they ALL had the full size ModelCo mascara even though I made my profiles wildly different to try and avoid dupes. I didn't get duplicate boxes, but the mascara was the common item in each box. I don't use anything but waterproof mascaras (love all of the CoverGirl Lashblast waterproof mascaras!) because my eyelids can get super oily even with primer and powder, and I usually end up with panda eyes if I don't use waterproof mascara. So even though I got 3 full size products in one month from each box, I am stuck with 3 products I will never use.

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed!  I absolutely love sizes like the Hot Mama (Jan box) and Mary-Lou Manizer (just traded for it! YAY!!).  They are big enough sizes to give me weeks of use and determine if it's really for me.  If  it is, peachy keen, I'll use BB points to buy the full size.  If not, no biggie, it's sample sized and I can throw it away w/no guilt.  

I completely agree! The full size mascara and large nail polish were not for me. Just due to texture issues with both. So full size doesn't always make a better box. I've used my frownies more that that mascara haha! And the little perfumes... well they got me to step outside my comfort zone a bit. Now I enjoy them! The only one I hated was that miss me. Puke!!

I hope there really are Zoya polishes (like some dectives might have seen in the spoilers!)My Feb BB last year was 1 full size product (which was nice but not something I could use due to the scent) and 3 samples with a little heart nail file.  Maybe I can get some of those Chauco chocolates that people got a few months agon (I have been on a 3 month hiatus with BB).

Back