Birchbox November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stila is pronounced as St-ee-lah... I asked their PR person at IMATS since I always pronounced it as Sty-lah. She said it's from an Italian word but I can't remember what that Italian word is.

Jouer is pronounced almost like ju-ee. The ju in it is pronouced like au'ju. I asked these hot Frenchmen at CPNA how to pronounce it. Had to spell it out for them since I kept butchering the word. LOL I use to pronounce it as "joe-er". LOL

Quote:Originally Posted by Loladevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I tried the UD Primer  a long time ago but might have to give it another shot, and somehow I'd never noticed benefit made an eye primer
icon_scratch.gif
 I'll check it out. I've been using the Tarte eye primer and not terribly impressed.

I got a full size of the Benefit Stay Don't Stray in one of their combo sets and I'm not impressed by it. The primer creases for me! I love Benefit products but UDPP works much better for me.

So I know there is a love/mostly-hate relationship with Twistbands as discussed on the Birchbox threads before lol but wanted to share anyway! I signed up for the 3-month sub for $13 from a Plum District deal a while ago and have blogged about what I've gotten every month - this month's insert card featured one of my pics from my blog which I thought was pretty cool. It's the pic on the top left corner! 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by KatiebuglovesBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope it's St-eye-la.. I don't like St-ee-la. I just found out YESTERDAY after like 9 months that Jouer is pronounced "Joo-eee" I HATE that. I will still call it "Joo-er" !
Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like St-eye-la too! And I thought it was Joo-ay. Guess I still don't know how to prounounce it lol.
Originally Posted by karenX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's Stee-la. I've heard one of the owners of the company pronounce it that way a long time ago on QVC or someplace like that. I had been pronouncing it with a hard "I" prior to that. 
Yep, you win. It is 100% pronounced Stee-luh, They had a fashion show style makeup runway show at imats the year I went and they said the word stila like a bajillion time over the period of 30 minutes. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stila is pronounced as St-ee-lah... I asked their PR person at IMATS since I always pronounced it as Sty-lah. She said it's from an Italian word but I can't remember what that Italian word is.

Jouer is pronounced almost like ju-ee. The ju in it is pronouced like au'ju. I asked these hot Frenchmen at CPNA how to pronounce it. Had to spell it out for them since I kept butchering the word. LOL I use to pronounce it as "joe-er". LOL
I always thought it was pronounced Still-a.  Thank you for clearing that up! 

On a side note, while I was reading this I suddenly thought of the Harry Potter books.  When J.K. Rowling finally decided to put in how to pronounce Hermione it literally blew my mind.  I always thought it was Her-me-own? 

Originally Posted by Antidentite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a side note, while I was reading this I suddenly thought of the Harry Potter books.  When J.K. Rowling finally decided to put in how to pronounce Hermione it literally blew my mind.  I always thought it was Her-me-own? 
My stepson (who was quite young at the time) insisted that I was crazy for telling him Hermione should be pronounced her-my-oh-nee because all his friends and their moms said her-me-own. I felt quite smug indeed when Rowling put that in! (He should have trusted me and my brain full of random facts)

That's odd . . . then they don't pronounce like it would be pronounced in native french, ju-a (long a, like the "a" in April)

http://www.forvo.com/word/jouer/

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's odd . . . then they don't pronounce like it would be pronounced in native french, ju-a (long a, like the "a" in April)

http://www.forvo.com/word/jouer/
Interesting. I always thought it was joo-ay as well! Or rather, zhoo-ay I guess would be closest phonetically?

Maybe they were pronouncing it the way they did for me since I couldn't pronounce it?

I wish I had gotten this, hopefully they'll send it out again. I'm also still searching for a good eye primer.
My hg eye primer is hands down Mac paint pot. It is amazing. I have tried UD primer because I got it with my naked palette and I honestly wasn't impressed at all. Last weekend at Sophora I picked up the new too faced holiday palette and it came with the shadow insurance. It's also really good but not as good as the Mac.

Maybe they were pronouncing it the way they did for me since I couldn't pronounce it?
I feel like companies with not-easily-pronounced names should have verbal pronunciation soundbytes on their websites or something lol. 

I'm you with! Foreign names get butchered to begin with so it would be nice to know how to pronounce something properly like Jouer or Hautelook (I pronounce it as Hot Look even though it's more Oat Look), etc.

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting. I always thought it was joo-ay as well! Or rather, zhoo-ay I guess would be closest phonetically?
I think in the BB sneak peek videos they pronounce it joo-a, with the second syllable sounding like the letter a.

Originally Posted by Antidentite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope. It's actually Herm-o-ninny.

**Team Krum** lol jk

Nope. It's actually Herm-o-ninny. **Team Krum** lol jk
Right or wrong, I pronounce Her My Nee...lol and Stila = Stee La Jouer = Joo Air Haute = Howt The names people come up with for their companies....lol.

I know I said last month was my make or break month...but I'm holding out one. more. month....just so I can get my discount and use up my points all at the same time.  
wink.gif

I know I said last month was my make or break month...but I'm holding out one. more. month....just so I can get my discount and use up my points all at the same time.   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Lol!! Hope you don't get unlucky like me.. Still waiting on an October box and that account has 350 points and a code that just expired!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From their FAQ: We currently ship only to the United States, its territories, and APO Boxes. Boxes are sent via the US Postal Service and UPS Mail Innovations

So I don't think an APO address is an issue. You may wish to set it as APO NY instead of AE if their website gives ya fits, but since it's USPS, you'll be fine.
I was mainly wondering how long it would take to get here. I estimate roughly 2 weeks based on what BB told me so I probably won't get my November box until December. I just hope nothing is wrong with my boxes when I get them so that I can still review them for points.

Originally Posted by zorabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was mainly wondering how long it would take to get here. I estimate roughly 2 weeks based on what BB told me so I probably won't get my November box until December. I just hope nothing is wrong with my boxes when I get them so that I can still review them for points.
Yeah, well, bear in mind that once it leaves New York to head to Germany, it's Space A on the planes. I seriously had a magazine arrive a YEAR late when I was at Spangdahlem (that was pretty unusual, though). Packages to Germany tended to arrive a lot quicker than stuff to Japan, though. In Japan, I always figured about three-four weeks, whereas in Germany, it was usually around two or so (barring the busiest time of the year--the holidays--when it was often closer to four weeks)

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol!! Hope you don't get unlucky like me.. Still waiting on an October box and that account has 350 points and a code that just expired!
You should email them!  They gave me a new anniversary code because my box didn't come before the code expired.  

Back