Birchbox September 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm soo glad that you made a new friend at the event. That's one of those things I love the most about events is to meet people and network. Sometimes, you'll never know what you end up with. You're lucky to have the ability to eavesdrop into conversations which I can't. I agree with you about paying more attention to details on crowds VS food VS drinks VS supplies on BB and scarves. How does a scarf look like? I don't remember; is it like blue/white style? Yeah, when it comes to free perks can be annoying because people tend to be very grubbish and pushy that kinda ruins the fun ambiance of an event. Overall, glad to hear that you had a good experience! Maybe, either BB or Anne Taylor may need to do a better job for these events. I think it's partially the store management because I remember when I worked for PUMA; we had a fashion show so it was mostly the store manager having to run the show. Maybe event planning is not always a main strength for a store manager. 
The people who were running the Chicago one were really nice- a little frazzled, but very nice!  I think limiting the amount of tickets that these things are for would be good- I get that it gets people in the door, but if you only have 150 boxes, only give out 150 tickets.  It would make things go smoother!  At the end of the day, I know that it's all free and I just managed to get lucky, but I had a great time!  If nothing else, there was champagne and snacks!

Here's a picture of the scarf- I'm wearing it today and I'm at work so I have to be a little sneaky ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The people who were running the Chicago one were really nice- a little frazzled, but very nice!  I think limiting the amount of tickets that these things are for would be good- I get that it gets people in the door, but if you only have 150 boxes, only give out 150 tickets.  It would make things go smoother!  At the end of the day, I know that it's all free and I just managed to get lucky, but I had a great time!  If nothing else, there was champagne and snacks! Here's a picture of the scarf- I'm wearing it today and I'm at work so I have to be a little sneaky ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Wow that scarf looks so pretty! In fact, it looks alot better than BB's picture. Thanks for posting :) LOVE your lip color! Is that Model inc?

Wow that scarf looks so pretty! In fact, it looks alot better than BB's picture. Thanks for posting :) LOVE your lip color! Is that Model inc?
Thanks lady!  I really like it- I bought two belts and I think I like the scarf more haha.  Here's the link to it on the Ann Taylor website!  Also- isn't it beautiful?  I've been lusting forever, I broke down.  It's Rimmel's Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 12- I think the black containers are the matte ones and the red containers are the shimmers- but I'm not certain!  I got the same color in a matte and a shimmer- and I love the matte.. it's been my go to color since I got it!  It doesn't have the best lasting power, but it was affordable and the color payoff is awesome!

I'm excited for September!  Hedge fund looks promising.  This is my last month in the "2nd sub club," so I'm hoping my boxes are great enough that I'm compelled to renew my second account.  Don't let me down, Birchbox! 

Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm soo glad that you made a new friend at the event. That's one of those things I love the most about events is to meet people and network. Sometimes, you'll never know what you end up with. You're lucky to have the ability to eavesdrop into conversations which I can't. I agree with you about paying more attention to details on crowds VS food VS drinks VS supplies on BB and scarves. How does a scarf look like? I don't remember; is it like blue/white style? Yeah, when it comes to free perks can be annoying because people tend to be very grubbish and pushy that kinda ruins the fun ambiance of an event. Overall, glad to hear that you had a good experience! Maybe, either BB or Anne Taylor may need to do a better job for these events. I think it's partially the store management because I remember when I worked for PUMA; we had a fashion show so it was mostly the store manager having to run the show. Maybe event planning is not always a main strength for a store manager. 
The people who were running the Chicago one were really nice- a little frazzled, but very nice!  I think limiting the amount of tickets that these things are for would be good- I get that it gets people in the door, but if you only have 150 boxes, only give out 150 tickets.  It would make things go smoother!  At the end of the day, I know that it's all free and I just managed to get lucky, but I had a great time!  If nothing else, there was champagne and snacks!

Here's a picture of the scarf- I'm wearing it today and I'm at work so I have to be a little sneaky ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love the scarf.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since we're talking about tiny nail polishes, I saw literally the tiniest bottle of nail polish at Marshall's today O_O

LOL this is the future of nail polish. from now on: $20 for this bottle! on sale at marshall's for $10 
biggrin.gif
I LOVE IT!!!!  I so much prefer tiny bottles.  I have short finger nails and toenails, and it takes me FOREVER to finish even a mini.  I can get well over 10 manis or pedis from those 3.75 ml OPI minis.  This one looks adorable.  I'd pay a premium not to have to store more large bottles that I will never finish.

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK slightly off topic, but still a Birchbox thing...

I am throwing away this stupid Benta Berry Moisturizer!  I tried to love it, and it smells SO GOOD, but it is balling up into little weird bits all over my face.  I've worn it a few times (thinking maybe it would work better depending on the time of day I applied it) but I refuse to attend my kids' Back To School Night tonight looking like my face is trying to escape off my head!  

*stomps off to wash face and throw away the offending tube of moisturizer*

/endrant  
soap.gif
Yeah, it leaves such a weird film over the face :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Very excited for the guaranteed nail polish in this month's box! Birchbox, feel free to make this month uber, duber extra awesome for my bday. I love the idea someone else had here of a fashion themed box!

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK slightly off topic, but still a Birchbox thing...

I am throwing away this stupid Benta Berry Moisturizer!  I tried to love it, and it smells SO GOOD, but it is balling up into little weird bits all over my face.  I've worn it a few times (thinking maybe it would work better depending on the time of day I applied it) but I refuse to attend my kids' Back To School Night tonight looking like my face is trying to escape off my head!  

*stomps off to wash face and throw away the offending tube of moisturizer*

/endrant  
soap.gif
I have yet to try mine from July's box. I'm a little nervous after hearing all the bad reviews. It's so weird, I'm not normally nervous about trying on new makeup, but when it comes to skincare... if I hear a couple of really bad reviews, I run the other way.  
undwech.gif

Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by sldb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a size comparison, the Ruffian nail polish is .17 fl oz, which is smaller than the tiny Sally Girl polishes at Sally Beauty. The Sally Girl is .18 fl oz. Oy. The "full size" option is tiny, so I can't to see how microscopic the sample is.
Maybe in a little disposable dropper. Enough for half a finger. LOL I'd love to read the responses on FB if they did that.

rofl2.gif
 the fb mob would be out for blood
bang.gif

Ha!

So, since we're getting a nail polish OTHER THAN COLOR CLUB, I gifted myself another sub for three months.

Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since we're talking about tiny nail polishes, I saw literally the tiniest bottle of nail polish at Marshall's today O_O

LOL this is the future of nail polish. from now on: $20 for this bottle! on sale at marshall's for $10 
biggrin.gif

Omg LOL that doesnt even look like enough to do 1 mani.  I like at least 3-4 coats and I don't see it in there.

Yeah, lol. It's rare I do a two coat mani and one coat sure ain't happening.

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it leaves such a weird film over the face :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Very excited for the guaranteed nail polish in this month's box! Birchbox, feel free to make this month uber, duber extra awesome for my bday. I love the idea someone else had here of a fashion themed box!
It does!  I think because it's supposed to be mattifying, but my skin was still shiny.  And weird.  Ugh.  

I signed up for a second box too!  I was too afraid they'd send me a "welcome box" with weird leftovers for Sept, so I signed up for a 2nd regular subscription under another email address.  I keep telling myself it's just for Sept, but I'll probably get an amazing box and not be able to cancel 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Xiang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have yet to try mine from July's box. I'm a little nervous after hearing all the bad reviews. It's so weird, I'm not normally nervous about trying on new makeup, but when it comes to skincare... if I hear a couple of really bad reviews, I run the other way.  
undwech.gif
I've heard mixed reviews, and there are some ladies on here that liked it.  My combo skin just was not happy.  If it helps it didn't cause me to break out or anything, it just sat on top of my face without absorbing and flaked/pilled up every time I touched my face.  I never even tried applying makeup over it, but for those who tried it, apparently it was a disaster.  Up to you if you want to try it though!

Just got my "Welcome Box" for the sub I gifted myself. Of course they send that USPS First Class, wish they would send all our boxes that way :-D

Anyway it had all dupes for me but all things I liked so I don't mind. Coola, Whish blueberry shave gel, No. 4 prep & protect, Couture LaLa & 2 of the bobby pins. I also got the pick two (Dr. Jart BB cream & Blandi conditioner) and then the Juicy gloss (in Fig, already have one from Ipsy but I like the color so glad to have a back-up) that were free with my purchase. Fun mail day!

Tonight I have to figure out how to organize my samples. I have them EVERYWHERE right now. Lol!

It seems like most of you guys are trying to gifting yourself 2nd box so you guys could get more Ruffan polishes? I love the way you guys think 
icon_lol.gif
claps.gif

It seems like most of you guys are trying to gifting yourself 2nd box so you guys could get more Ruffan polishes? I love the way you guys think 
icon_lol.gif
claps.gif
LOL my thoughts exactly. I'm tempted to do the same 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cari12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just got my "Welcome Box" for the sub I gifted myself. Of course they send that USPS First Class, wish they would send all our boxes that way :-D

Anyway it had all dupes for me but all things I liked so I don't mind. Coola, Whish blueberry shave gel, No. 4 prep & protect, Couture LaLa & 2 of the bobby pins. I also got the pick two (Dr. Jart BB cream & Blandi conditioner) and then the Juicy gloss (in Fig, already have one from Ipsy but I like the color so glad to have a back-up) that were free with my purchase. Fun mail day!

Tonight I have to figure out how to organize my samples. I have them EVERYWHERE right now. Lol!
Oooh I love taking out my samples and re-organizing.  I have them in Glossyboxes and Birchboxes.  I mix them with my regular products so they get used in rotation.  Anything I don't want goes into my "trades/giveaway box" and anything that I want but don't need to use right now goes into one of two glossyboxes for seasonal/backup that I go through when my primary stash runs out.  

icon_lol.gif
claps.gif
Just a warning though, if you gift it to yourself, you might end up getting a welcome box for the month which is full of less awesome (read: repeat) products and not the month's box theme.

I'm going to reactivate my other account though with hopes I can snag one, but even then I might be sadled with products from a past box too... ):

Just a warning though, if you gift it to yourself, you might end up getting a welcome box for the month which is full of less awesome (read: repeat) products and not the month's box theme. I'm going to reactivate my other account though with hopes I can snag one, but even then I might be sadled with products from a past box too... ):
Actually, hubby gave me a 6 months gift sub I believe for Mother's Day. Anyway, the welcome box I had wasn't too bad and was able to use all samples. Hubby also gifted 6 months sub for Mother's Day for his mom. For the last 3 boxes, she gave them to me because she didn't understand the concept of Birchbox (she's 70 yr old). Although, I introduced her to Sephora and she likes it so much better than sitting in front of computer and be clueless on how or what she has to do online. She just doesn't want to deal with reviewing or points. Sadly, she lives 6 hrs away so. Well wait a minute. I could do it bec I helped her to set up a beauty profile last week. She missed 3 months worth of points :-(. She will probably give me Ruffan polish as well. I just hope I won't get 3 dups.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_lol.gif
claps.gif

Just a warning though, if you gift it to yourself, you might end up getting a welcome box for the month which is full of less awesome (read: repeat) products and not the month's box theme.

I'm going to reactivate my other account though with hopes I can snag one, but even then I might be sadled with products from a past box too... ):

If you gift a sub, the first box will be a welcome box, which has products sampled from past months. But, if you gift it soon enough, you will get a welcome box this month since they ship out pretty quickly (I think it says when you're about to check out when the box will ship) and then start getting two regular BBs (and so two Ruffian polishes) in September.

If you sign up for a new account now, they send you a regular BB from that month's varieties-- they stopped sending out welcome boxes for non-gift subs, so I think you'll be safe if you're just reactivating an account.

Back