Box 2 Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that'd be great.  I mean, there is WAY too much in there to be a starter box, even if you and Jacinta take a ton of things there's still so much - if we ended up with this much starting with an envelope (right? I think I remember you saying you started with an envelope), I can't imagine what it would be if it started with a huge box.
Yeah, it was an envelope hahaha. I'm afraid of what it'd turn into. Obviously we will need more starter boxes so I can divide it up, but I still think if I get two boxes this size back, it will be too much for even 4 starter boxes.

I am all for donating some of it. Perhaps make up a few good starter boxes and donate the rest? Or the other way around: pick out what you think would be the most useful for the women at the shelter, and then make the starter boxes?

I like the idea of sorting out the stuff that would be best for the women at the shelter FIRST, personally (hair care, facial wash, and definitely some of the full-sized, unused makeups!)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the idea of sorting out the stuff that would be best for the women at the shelter FIRST, personally (hair care, facial wash, and definitely some of the full-sized, unused makeups!)
Yes exactly! I'm glad you all like this idea...Make up hoarders give back or something like that! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Alright, so my mom had something come up and had to use the car for the day, so I won't get to ship the box out til tomorrow morning. But it's all packed up and ready to go and Jacinta, you're going to have a blast with it! LOL. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Agreed.  If I were in their place, I would be ecstatic to get items like that!

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed.  If I were in their place, I would be ecstatic to get items like that!
It's true. Women in shelters NEED the hygiene stuff , because they often leave with literally nothing to their name (so shampoo, toothpaste, facial wash, etc. are really useful). But, also, if you're covered in bruises, it can be nice to be able to cover them up (skin creams, foundation, concealer, etc.). And of course, there is also the "makeup for job interviews" and "treating yourself nicely" aspect of it.

This was part of why I started couponing, initially. I wanted to be able to do SOMETHING, but was frequently broke. Via couponing, not only did I have more money available to me, but I was winding up with huge amounts of free products (not just health & beauty) that I could donate, so that I WAS paying back. I still do that, but I also love that I'm able to put SOME higher end stuff in, these days (philosphy GWP, stuff like that), because I know how important such little touches can be.

It's true. Women in shelters NEED the hygiene stuff , because they often leave with literally nothing to their name (so shampoo, toothpaste, facial wash, etc. are really useful). But, also, if you're covered in bruises, it can be nice to be able to cover them up (skin creams, foundation, concealer, etc.). And of course, there is also the "makeup for job interviews" and "treating yourself nicely" aspect of it.

This was part of why I started couponing, initially. I wanted to be able to do SOMETHING, but was frequently broke. Via couponing, not only did I have more money available to me, but I was winding up with huge amounts of free products (not just health & beauty) that I could donate, so that I WAS paying back. I still do that, but I also love that I'm able to put SOME higher end stuff in, these days (philosphy GWP, stuff like that), because I know how important such little touches can be.
yeah, I've got a huge pile of clothes I'm taking too. I never wear suits to work, but I had purchased several for when I was interviewing, so hopefully between clothing and hygiene and beauty supplies, and your guys' unwanted samples, there will be some women with slightly better days. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

It's true. Women in shelters NEED the hygiene stuff , because they often leave with literally nothing to their name (so shampoo, toothpaste, facial wash, etc. are really useful). But, also, if you're covered in bruises, it can be nice to be able to cover them up (skin creams, foundation, concealer, etc.). And of course, there is also the "makeup for job interviews" and "treating yourself nicely" aspect of it. This was part of why I started couponing, initially. I wanted to be able to do SOMETHING, but was frequently broke. Via couponing, not only did I have more money available to me, but I was winding up with huge amounts of free products (not just health & beauty) that I could donate, so that I WAS paying back. I still do that, but I also love that I'm able to put SOME higher end stuff in, these days (philosphy GWP, stuff like that), because I know how important such little touches can be.
I was thinking along those lines, too--sprucing up for job interviews, concealer for bruises, and why not a sparkly eyeshadow just to feel pretty and enjoy the little things in life when the major things in life are messed up. And imagine if a woman has her little girl with her--how special if Mom paints the girl's nails.

I'm going to get a little personal here: it was through the help of a women's program that my mother and I were able to get back on our feet after a series of events when I was 16. Then, MANY years later, I had a breakdown--and it was a similar women's program that helped me get back to being who I am. So, yeah, I'm all for it, you know? While we were never in shelters (either of us), we both benefited greatly from things we learned. Hell, if it weren't for some of the classes I took at the women's center here, I probably wouldn't even be wearing makeup these days (one of my issues was that I always tried to mask my femininity, because it made me feel unsafe.)

The thing about being an abuse victim* is that you reach the point where you feel like you don't deserve anything nice. You feel like you deserve whatever is happening to you, and that anything nice, you're just going to destroy, starting with yourself. It takes a lot to start feeling like a human being again, and to re-learn how to be REAL. And ANYthing I can EVER do to help other women see how amazing they are and to live fully in their own skins? You bet your ass, I'm there.

*For the record, I neither consider myself an abuse victim nor a survivor. The abuse I lived with is something that happened to me; it IS NOT who I am. I refuse to give the people who hurt me the power of being part of my self-definition.

I'm going to get a little personal here: it was through the help of a women's program that my mother and I were able to get back on our feet after a series of events when I was 16. Then, MANY years later, I had a breakdown--and it was a similar women's program that helped me get back to being who I am. So, yeah, I'm all for it, you know? While we were never in shelters (either of us), we both benefited greatly from things we learned. Hell, if it weren't for some of the classes I took at the women's center here, I probably wouldn't even be wearing makeup these days (one of my issues was that I always tried to mask my femininity, because it made me feel unsafe.)

The thing about being an abuse victim* is that you reach the point where you feel like you don't deserve anything nice. You feel like you deserve whatever is happening to you, and that anything nice, you're just going to destroy, starting with yourself. It takes a lot to start feeling like a human being again, and to re-learn how to be REAL. And ANYthing I can EVER do to help other women see how amazing they are and to live fully in their own skins? You bet your ass, I'm there.

*For the record, I neither consider myself an abuse victim nor a survivor. The abuse I lived with is something that happened to me; it IS NOT who I am. I refuse to give the people who hurt me the power of being part of my self-definition.
Thanks for sharing.  

I received the box today and found some great items!  I am in the process of adding some great goodies to the box before sending it on its way!  I won't be able to get to the post office until Saturday, so it should be arriving back to Jenna at the beginning of next week! 

It came yesterday but I didn't go pick it up from my aparmtent's office until today! So excited to go through it...first I have to go grocery shopping lol. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It came yesterday but I didn't go pick it up from my aparmtent's office until today! So excited to go through it...first I have to go grocery shopping lol. 
Who needs food when you have samples!?!?!

Ok, so here is what I took and will keep (plus a twistband headband that I forgot to put in the pic because my cat already made it her toy lol): 

Here is what I took from this box to add to my donations: 

The rest will be saved until we start the next round, I'm still waiting on box 1 to make it back to me, and will be divided among the 8000 starter boxes I make, lol. I will probably just start them and only actually participate in 1 or 2. but anyway, yay!

Updates soon! 

I love that this box LITERALLY crossed the country and made it's way back to me. 

Back