Gossip Girl + Birchbox: The May boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided I wanted to get another subscription for May. I sent my email address through the Gossip Girl link a couple of days ago and haven't received anything yet. I hope that's normal.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bet they will have at least a little variation - since everyone is getting them, it seems unlikely that they'd send everyone the exact same box.  Maybe 4 or 5 variations like the Teen Vogue box?

My guess is that it will have at least ten variations, although I wouldn't be surprised to see twenty or more.  They had a similar curated everyone-gets-one box in July with Cynthia Rowley, and that one had ten variations or so -- and that was when they had about half as many subscribers as they do now.  It seems like they have been increasing the number of box variations as they increase subscribers.  I would not be surprised to find out that the whole reason they can add subscribers is because they are locking down a wider variety of products from the brands.  The scenario I'm envisioning looks a little like this:  Birchbox can get 25k samples from company A, 50k samples from company B, 10k samples from company C, 8k samples of products D1 and D2 from company D, etc.  They can't get 100k samples of any one item, and they might not be able to get more than 25k samples of any one product, but that's okay, because they can get a total of 500-600k samples of a couple dozen products from multiple companies.  Now they get to assemble our boxes, so we end up with Box 1, Box 2, Box 3, etc., with some items appearing in almost every box since that company could provide 75k samples, and other items only appearing in a couple of boxes because that company could only provide 20k.  With every company willing to provide a certain number of samples, they can add a few more box variations as well as another chunk of new subscribers.  At least that's my theory.

Also:  Teen Vogue boxes were aimed at a particular demographic within the Birchbox subscriber base, so they wouldn't really need as many different boxes since not everyone received one.  There were a lot of us who took one look at it and said, "Uh, prom?  I wouldn't even go to my prom when I was in high school, and that was the pre-grunge era.  Opting out *now*."  With the GG box, given the fact that this is going to *all* subscribers, they're probably going to consider the fact that some subscribers are well past retirement age and can't use the same products as their 20-something subscribers even if they wanted to (skin changes radically, kids).  Otherwise, they stand a *huge* chance of alienating a substantial chunk of their subscriber base, and considering the fact that one of the hallmarks of Birchbox is the fact that they have that beauty profile that is supposed to help make sure people get things that are appropriate for them (I know, it doesn't always work, but I have yet to get a product for curly hair, oily skin, or dark skin, so it does work sometimes), it seems like it's a bad idea for them to ditch that plan for even just one month.

Yeesh.  I should just compile all of my theories on sampling subscription boxes somewhere that is not a forum one of these days.  I have a whole separate post about the use of these boxes as targeted advertising and the potential rise of sponsored boxes.

How many of you think we should get a second box for May?   And how many of you honestly think we will get our boxes by may 14th (I leave to go home (Im at college) on the 17th -- should I send it there?)

Originally Posted by PrettyInPowell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How many of you think we should get a second box for May?   And how many of you honestly think we will get our boxes by may 14th (I leave to go home (Im at college) on the 17th -- should I send it there?)

I'd send it home just to be safe. : )

I am excited about this box.  I am not even a fan of GG, but I am a fan of the possible products, haha.

And, can anyone tell me why I cannot subscribe to any new threads (like this one)??  I believe it's a profile setting, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out!!

I am excited about this box.  I am not even a fan of GG, but I am a fan of the possible products, haha.

And, can anyone tell me why I cannot subscribe to any new threads (like this one)??  I believe it's a profile setting, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out!!
It won't let me subscribe to any threads either! I only become subscribed after I comment on the thread :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yep, we know about the issue. It will be fixed next week. 

Originally Posted by iugirl13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It won't let me subscribe to any threads either! I only become subscribed after I comment on the thread
frown.gif

I have noticed some products in the New Products section of the shop that have not been sent out, I am wondering if these will be in the GG May boxes. I know its a little early to start seeing next mnths products on there, but I cant think of another reason they would be there. There are some By Terry products ( a 49.00 lipstick, a foundation and mascara, among others) Also a Dr Jart Beauty Balm, June Jacobs skincare.. were these sent out previously and I just didnt notice? 

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have noticed some products in the New Products section of the shop that have not been sent out, I am wondering if these will be in the GG May boxes. I know its a little early to start seeing next mnths products on there, but I cant think of another reason they would be there. There are some By Terry products ( a 49.00 lipstick, a foundation and mascara, among others) Also a Dr Jart Beauty Balm, June Jacobs skincare.. were these sent out previously and I just didnt notice? 
I've gotten a June Jacobs product, I'm thinking maybe late last summer. I've also seen the By Terry products in the shop for a couple of months. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I reviewed on both of my accounts in March then combined the points. You are paying for the box, so those are your points, imo. 

How do you combine points on to one account? Do you call or email Birchbox?

i'm with you! haha i actually subscribed to birchbox after seeing the TV boxes!

Originally Posted by SarahNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never seen a single episode of this, but I'm excited to see what a themed box brings!

it will be cool if it will be like the July 2011 box.  There were not that many different versions, but at the same time everyone got almost all the same stuff. just like 1 to 2 thing different.  This one does look good.  I use to watch GG but I have moved around so much I have just havent been able to keep up.  i think i need to get back to it.

The thing that I think I like best about the co-branded boxes is that because they DO receive more publicity, there is a higher likelihood of full-sized items and of a broader range of well-known brands (outside the beauty community) in them. I mean, I'll be blunt, I'd never heard of Zoya before BB (although now it seems that I can't miss seeing them listed in the credits of magazines), but I sure as heck was aware of Essie, ya know?

How many different boxes were there the month they had the Cynthia Rowley curated boxes?

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My guess is that it will have at least ten variations, although I wouldn't be surprised to see twenty or more.  They had a similar curated everyone-gets-one box in July with Cynthia Rowley, and that one had ten variations or so -- and that was when they had about half as many subscribers as they do now.  It seems like they have been increasing the number of box variations as they increase subscribers.  I would not be surprised to find out that the whole reason they can add subscribers is because they are locking down a wider variety of products from the brands.  The scenario I'm envisioning looks a little like this:  Birchbox can get 25k samples from company A, 50k samples from company B, 10k samples from company C, 8k samples of products D1 and D2 from company D, etc.  They can't get 100k samples of any one item, and they might not be able to get more than 25k samples of any one product, but that's okay, because they can get a total of 500-600k samples of a couple dozen products from multiple companies.  Now they get to assemble our boxes, so we end up with Box 1, Box 2, Box 3, etc., with some items appearing in almost every box since that company could provide 75k samples, and other items only appearing in a couple of boxes because that company could only provide 20k.  With every company willing to provide a certain number of samples, they can add a few more box variations as well as another chunk of new subscribers.  At least that's my theory.

Also:  Teen Vogue boxes were aimed at a particular demographic within the Birchbox subscriber base, so they wouldn't really need as many different boxes since not everyone received one.  There were a lot of us who took one look at it and said, "Uh, prom?  I wouldn't even go to my prom when I was in high school, and that was the pre-grunge era.  Opting out *now*."  With the GG box, given the fact that this is going to *all* subscribers, they're probably going to consider the fact that some subscribers are well past retirement age and can't use the same products as their 20-something subscribers even if they wanted to (skin changes radically, kids).  Otherwise, they stand a *huge* chance of alienating a substantial chunk of their subscriber base, and considering the fact that one of the hallmarks of Birchbox is the fact that they have that beauty profile that is supposed to help make sure people get things that are appropriate for them (I know, it doesn't always work, but I have yet to get a product for curly hair, oily skin, or dark skin, so it does work sometimes), it seems like it's a bad idea for them to ditch that plan for even just one month.

Yeesh.  I should just compile all of my theories on sampling subscription boxes somewhere that is not a forum one of these days.  I have a whole separate post about the use of these boxes as targeted advertising and the potential rise of sponsored boxes.

aw I thought the subscriptions feature was fixed. I can only subscribe to the thread if I comment on it.

well as long as I'm commenting, I should say that May will be my first BB since November. December through April I've been subscribed to MyGlam which I've been 60% pleased with. I just happened upon this thread right after watching Gossip Girl today for the first time in ages! I saw how great the TV boxes were so I've canceled MG to reactivate BB. 

Latest posts

Back