Julep: August 2013 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by linda37027 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations! I have been enjoying my version 4. I am on the fence about mystery boxes. On the one hand you get a shot at a huge box and get to try colors you may have never thought to buy, but love when you try them. On the other hand you may get dupes, and colors you hate. Take the risk or spend your money on products you can see before you buy? Enjoy your box.
linda37027, I have definitely got off the fence with the mystery boxes ... they are perfect for new Mavens to add to their collection of Juleps, but I will spend my $25 elsewhere unless I absolutely have to have an exclusive offer that is only available through the mystery boxes.

Originally Posted by angismith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulatins, autopilot! So happy for you .... you can always save the dupes of the hand cream and oxygen treatment as backup or gift them to someone.
Exactly my thoughts! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And re: your following comment: I think after my Picnic mystery box gets here that'll be it for me and mysteries. Though I am a sucker for them, the risk now for dupes is just too high since I have now amassed upwards of 40 Juleps. The best values now will be Maven boxes and add-ons (when I like them), and then wait for other colours I like to go on sale or come up for trade.

Originally Posted by autopilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly my thoughts! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And re: your following comment: I think after my Picnic mystery box gets here that'll be it for me and mysteries. Though I am a sucker for them, the risk now for dupes is just too high since I have now amassed upwards of 40 Juleps. The best values now will be Maven boxes and add-ons (when I like them), and then wait for other colours I like to go on sale or come up for trade.
The last mystery box I got, my thoughts to myself were: "I could have used that $29.99 (in my case) to buy a couple of colors I REALLY wanted."

I went for the Picnic Big Box- my first one! I'm actually pretty happy with it and feel like I got my $40 worth. I got version 2, which included the New York lipstick trio, Fina, Lauren, Layne, Mischa, Dianna, Evie, and Clara. I'd been thinking about buying Layne, Dianna, and Lauren so it was great to see those. I love the lipsticks and while I'd rather have gotten the Paris set, I'm content to have backups for when my NY set inevitably runs out. Fina looks really cool worn, though I wouldn't have picked it for myself. Evie is great, Mischa I could live without, but Clara is the only real downside of the box.... I hate this shade, as I found out with my starter box, and I've somehow managed to get three of them, haha. I didn't get one of the ~*high value*~ mystery boxes but as someone who's just starting out collecting Juleps I feel like I got a good value, though getting a dupe this early on is kind of annoying- I don't see myself ordering many more.

HI!! I'm baaacckk! from being out of town for a while. I was able to sneak in and check on some posts. I know I'm kinda 100+ posts behind. It was nice to come home with a stack of boxes!! So much unboxing to do!

I got the upgrade version on Picnic Mystery Box Version #1 with add ons on Pacific Sunrise Trio ? (I'm sorry I don't remember because I'm kinda on a whisk right now trying to get ready for bed soon). Claire, Denver, and Teri. I'm pleased with this mystery box. I did swatch on all polishes. For some reason, I'm not really into corals that are too peachy (Gloria, Maya, and Teri) I don't know. I can use it for accents. I was bummed about the blue polish that I hoped it'd be "Something Blue" but it's Claire. It's a little darker but not bright blue as I hoped. Denver looks similar to Bondi's Lady Liberty. I will have do swatches again to compare between those two colors. Not digging with Dianna color but can make it to work for accents. 

I'm not really into frosty polish like Annette; may give it to my mom since it's very stuble. 

How are the lipstick? Are they long wearing and are they moisturizing?
Hard to say. One red is matte, one red is glossy/matte and one is pink like bold pink but it came sheer and took a while for color to show. I like 'em all. The red with matte/glossy may need reapplying constantly. It felt nice. Some said it felt cheap. Hard to say. I just swatched. That's it. I have so many lipsticks now that I have to stop and skip some sub boxes lol

I did the big box. My computer is down and my phone internet is not always great. It should be fix this week. So I haven't been keeping up with my packages as I normally would.

Originally Posted by Jac13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the lipstick? Are they long wearing and are they moisturizing?
I got the Paris trio a while ago and I found the set disappointing. Two of the 3 colors are so sheer that they don't even show up on my lips. Lady in Red is a nice, classic red though. It's a bit drying but I just put some balm or gloss on top. I think it wears fairly well. There are better red lipsticks out there but overall I like Lady in Red and I actually keep it in my purse for the impromptu red lip. 
patches.gif

Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the Paris trio a while ago and I found the set disappointing. Two of the 3 colors are so sheer that they don't even show up on my lips. Lady in Red is a nice, classic red though. It's a bit drying but I just put some balm or gloss on top. I think it wears fairly well. There are better red lipsticks out there but overall I like Lady in Red and I actually keep it in my purse for the impromptu red lip. 
patches.gif
I like Charleston actually. It's very buildable, to the point where it's almost full coverage. It doesn't give the nice, sharp lines that creme / matte lipsticks give, but it's might brighter and i guess fluffier for summer. It odesn't last very well, though, but I like how long Lady in Red lasts. Overall, I think they're nice lipsticks. LOL the sheer pink is... a good lipbalm I guess

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like Charleston actually. It's very buildable, to the point where it's almost full coverage. It doesn't give the nice, sharp lines that creme / matte lipsticks give, but it's might brighter and i guess fluffier for summer. It odesn't last very well, though, but I like how long Lady in Red lasts. Overall, I think they're nice lipsticks. LOL the sheer pink is... a good lipbalm I guess
I agree, Charleston is GORGEOUS. I received both the New York and the Paris trios (upgraded in May) and it was my favorite as well as Satin Doll. Other than Lady in Red, the shades are definitely more balm-like comparatively and give you just a nice tint. It's hard to see them at first, but when you compare them you can see a good difference.
smile.gif
I actually love them all and think they're fabulous for carrying in a small clutch for a night out, instead of carrying a larger, bulkier lipgloss or lipstick!

You both convinced me to revisit Charleston and you're right, it's gorgeous! I am now wondering wth happened when I tried it the day I got it. I swear it did not show up on my lips at all that day. I noticed that it seems softer in consistency now than it did then. Is it possible that it had a waxy outer layer that I failed to break all the way through before? It reminds me of the Mirabella Lip Sheers and is now happily snuggling with Lady in my purse. I'm glad this conversation happened or I might not have bothered trying it out again! 

Originally Posted by swallowtail /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went for the Picnic Big Box- my first one! I'm actually pretty happy with it and feel like I got my $40 worth. I got version 2, which included the New York lipstick trio, Fina, Lauren, Layne, Mischa, Dianna, Evie, and Clara. I'd been thinking about buying Layne, Dianna, and Lauren so it was great to see those. I love the lipsticks and while I'd rather have gotten the Paris set, I'm content to have backups for when my NY set inevitably runs out. Fina looks really cool worn, though I wouldn't have picked it for myself. Evie is great, Mischa I could live without, but Clara is the only real downside of the box.... I hate this shade, as I found out with my starter box, and I've somehow managed to get three of them, haha. I didn't get one of the ~*high value*~ mystery boxes but as someone who's just starting out collecting Juleps I feel like I got a good value, though getting a dupe this early on is kind of annoying- I don't see myself ordering many more.
swallowtail, sounds like you did great! Actually, none of those of dupes for me, so I would have been ok if I had received this box. But that's the point of a mystery box - you never know what you will get. I just don't have enough money to pay that game, esp. since I have yet to skip a Maven box or the Secret Store or the Warehouse sale ... sometimes going back two or even three times to the Secret Sale and Warehouse sale.

Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HI!! I'm baaacckk! from being out of town for a while. I was able to sneak in and check on some posts. I know I'm kinda 100+ posts behind. It was nice to come home with a stack of boxes!! So much unboxing to do!

I got the upgrade version on Picnic Mystery Box Version #1 with add ons on Pacific Sunrise Trio ? (I'm sorry I don't remember because I'm kinda on a whisk right now trying to get ready for bed soon). Claire, Denver, and Teri. I'm pleased with this mystery box. I did swatch on all polishes. For some reason, I'm not really into corals that are too peachy (Gloria, Maya, and Teri) I don't know. I can use it for accents. I was bummed about the blue polish that I hoped it'd be "Something Blue" but it's Claire. It's a little darker but not bright blue as I hoped. Denver looks similar to Bondi's Lady Liberty. I will have do swatches again to compare between those two colors. Not digging with Dianna color but can make it to work for accents. 

I'm not really into frosty polish like Annette; may give it to my mom since it's very stuble. 

We missed you! Hope you had a great time away!!! Love your mystery box - I have none of those either. I may be FORCED to order Evie if she's in the Secret Store like Monica and Kyla were.

I just checked and my package is schedule to be delivered today.  Finally!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by angismith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We missed you! Hope you had a great time away!!! Love your mystery box - I have none of those either. I may be FORCED to order Evie if she's in the Secret Store like Monica and Kyla were.
Awww thanks Angie!!! It's impossible to keep these posts up. Especially Bondi one so I kinda have given up to follow up. I have so much to do in my real life right now so I may have to take a break from this 
icon_rolleyes.gif
 No more distractions! Ha! Thanks Jac13 for welcoming me back; I missed your post. I'll be checking in/out but may not be able to post comments for a bit.. 
icon_neutral.gif

Latest posts

Back