July 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is officially the 8th and I have only spent $4 on beauty stuff thus far. Just sayin'

Spent $149 at Anthropologie the other day and $40 at sephora yesterday (needed new clairesonic brush heads).  The problem is, none of this is in the budget so I put it all on credit cards.   I am debt free other than my house and monthly spending sprees, which I'm trying to cut out so I can start getting ahead of the game.  And I really want my vitamix.  Why can't I just stay out of the stores??

Other than putting my beauty subs on a card now, I try to use cash when shopping. I find it too easy to splurge when I swipe my card!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than putting my beauty subs on a card now, I try to use cash when shopping. I find it too easy to splurge when I swipe my card!
i've been trying to do this, too but haven't been completely successful.

i think i'm going to get a separate pre-paid card for my subs and splurges. i'll have a flat amount deposited on to the card every paycheck and maybe that will keep me within a budget.

The cash only rule is helping me alot because it forces me to choose between products and limit my options. I also will put items on hold, if I'm wandering through a mall, so it gives me time to really weigh my options. If I don't remember what the hell got me so excited, chances are I don't need it lol. I'm hitting the mall today, but only for a few basic tees. I might just run to Target, so I can avoid temptation lol. Wish me luck ladies!

I haven't purchased anything in July, and it's been 11 days since my last beauty purchase! I also decided something a couple of days ago: I want to only purchase high-end products on special occasions, such as birthday, xmas, major life event/accomplishment, etc. I find it's really easy for me to justify buying HE stuff, so I want it to be "special" instead of everyday occurrences. I'm still not in the place where I'm even close to being ready to buy makeup at all, so I'm safe for awhile. 

Keep up the good work ladies!

I've decided to sell stuff on ebay, in an attempt to de-hoard and make some extra money and space. I've only put up new unused stuff but has anyone had any luck selling used but sanitized stuff? Obviously it'd go for less. 

Week one down for me. Sitll no makeup/skincare purchases. I've been deleting all of those sales emails without even reading them. I did order a skirt for one of my belly dance costumes. But I managed not to add anything else to my cart even though I browsed lots of sparkly things. I do get some sort of pleasure out of shopping but I will have to say that holding myself accountable and using up products in my stash is rewarding in its own way. 

Lol I haven't bought any makeup this month yet... the sad thing was I wasn't even trying to restrain myself, just nothing appeals to me. 

Originally Posted by koolcryyss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol I haven't bought any makeup this month yet... the sad thing was I wasn't even trying to restrain myself, just nothing appeals to me. 
Same here! Well, I still want to try out a Tom Ford blush. But the only way I feel like I can justify it is by waiting until my birthday and not buying lots of stuff until then. I haven't even put myself in the position to be tempted, really. I like this feeling of not buying anything! It feels good! Now, once I do eventually break this no-buy streak, I just have to keep myself from going totally wild and crazy. That's been the problem for me in the past. Any tips for that?

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here! Well, I still want to try out a Tom Ford blush. But the only way I feel like I can justify it is by waiting until my birthday and not buying lots of stuff until then. I haven't even put myself in the position to be tempted, really. I like this feeling of not buying anything! It feels good! Now, once I do eventually break this no-buy streak, I just have to keep myself from going totally wild and crazy. That's been the problem for me in the past. Any tips for that?
I have the same problem, I won't buy anything for a really long time and then all of a sudden i go crazy and buy everything....

Hi Ladies!!! I am going to jump on the No Buy July bandwagon with all of y'all. I haven't spent any money on makeup or nail stuff in seven whole days which is a big deal for me. This is the first time I will be going on a no buy so i am a little nervous. Nail polish is pretty much my crack so we will see if i go through any withdrawal symptoms.

Originally Posted by tilliefairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Ladies!!! I am going to jump on the No Buy July bandwagon with all of y'all. I haven't spent any money on makeup or nail stuff in seven whole days which is a big deal for me. This is the first time I will be going on a no buy so i am a little nervous. Nail polish is pretty much my crack so we will see if i go through any withdrawal symptoms.
Welcome and good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

43 days. I don't receive Sephora e-mails anymore for some reason, so that helps. Also helps that the VA has yet to pay me for April/May so I am in the poorhouse.

I've been going through my hoard and I found my old tin of Salubritas deoderant that I bought after receiving a sample in an Eco Emi bonus box. Love the scent (orange lavender) and I do hoard deoderant. I buy those 500 packs at Target (exaggerating) and right now have 2 full deos for me, in addition to the large Salubritas and a small salubritas and a small dove deo for the gym (which I haven't been to since May)... but I'm even worse for my boyfriend. He has a stash of about 10 deos right now. I might take some to a food bank or something, since he doesn't even wear one of the brands anymore.

This round of no-buy has really helped my psyche. That, and I'm gearing up to apply to nursing school (1 last prereq before I'm allowed) and researching how expensive everything will be (don't even want to think about the books) so I'm going to really have to start saving right now for all that stuff.. especially if I make the requirements for the concurrent enrollment program which will allow me to bypass the wait list (hoping.. gotta get my GPA up about 0.16 points in 4 classes: doable) since that utilizes ASU tuition which is about a billion times more expensive than the community college's tuition. Plus I have a lot of associated costs with getting into either program: fingerprinting, background check, vaccines/titers, cpr class. I'm glad I got the entrance exam done a while ago.

I don't even miss spending $$$ at Sephora on stuff I rarely use.

AND lastly, I peeked at the Birchbox spoilers for this month.. not regretting my decision to cancel one bit!

Meh...So I went to Old Navy and got some tees yesterday, which I needed more colors of. Good deal because they were all $5, but I ended up picking up a few baubles on clearence, bringing me up to $40.10 total. I already tucked a pair of ear bobs away to gift to a gf; we're always thinking "Hmmm...would I wear this? Yes, then so would she..!" I actually don't feel too bad, because they were all things I was trying to restock up on. Then they gave me a coupon for a $10 future purchase....arrghh..I gave it away lol! No makeup or shoes or anything crazy yesterday, just a few ear bobs and tees. I feel pretty good, because i didn't really splurge on anything and will put all the items to good use. 

I'm feeling pretty good right now. I might be crazy, but I'm tacking on more to my items to my list of things I want to use up to bring the total number to 50. I'm hoping/thinking that this thing will take me at least 3 months to complete, which would be really good for me. Trying to select items from the broad spectrum of makeup, skincare, bath products, fragrance, etc. We'll see how this goes. I think that after using up 50 items, I'll purchase some stuff. I have $100 of stuff sitting in my Ulta cart, and I think I'll get those items if I'm really, really good. 

I still have three subs. Beauty Army, Birchbox, and MyGlam. Time to slowly wean myself off of most of those as well.

12 days down, and still goin' strong! 

Honestly, I can't wait til my year of birchbox is over. I am so over subs...besides cravebox. Cravebox, bb, and julep are all I have left now. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm feeling pretty good right now. I might be crazy, but I'm tacking on more to my items to my list of things I want to use up to bring the total number to 50. I'm hoping/thinking that this thing will take me at least 3 months to complete, which would be really good for me. Trying to select items from the broad spectrum of makeup, skincare, bath products, fragrance, etc. We'll see how this goes. I think that after using up 50 items, I'll purchase some stuff. I have $100 of stuff sitting in my Ulta cart, and I think I'll get those items if I'm really, really good. 

I still have three subs. Beauty Army, Birchbox, and MyGlam. Time to slowly wean myself off of most of those as well.

12 days down, and still goin' strong! 
50 items??! Lol, that should definitely keep you busy for a loooong while!! Good luck and how exciting to pick through the stashes we all have and "rediscover" products and brands. 

And I went to order the urban decay smoked palette this morning and I kind of just thought to myself "what's the point"? And closed the page. I think I'm officially over everything. The more I can get rid of via ebay, the happier I'll be. I just want out of debt and out from under these piles of junk. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I went to order the urban decay smoked palette this morning and I kind of just thought to myself "what's the point"? And closed the page. I think I'm officially over everything. The more I can get rid of via ebay, the happier I'll be. I just want out of debt and out from under these piles of junk. 
Good for you...I'm on my last $1500 of debt to go and should be outta the hole by December..It'll be a major accomplishment and the first time I'll only have regular home related bills only lol. I finally finished paying off my car and two other cards earlier this year and OMG... It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders lol. Of course, I was dumb and treated myself to a little cash only shopping spree...oops lol..

Back