July 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good for you...I'm on my last $1500 of debt to go and should be outta the hole by December..It'll be a major accomplishment and the first time I'll only have regular home related bills only lol. I finally finished paying off my car and two other cards earlier this year and OMG... It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders lol. Of course, I was dumb and treated myself to a little cash only shopping spree...oops lol..
I have so much student loan debt I feel like it will never end. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have so much student loan debt I feel like it will never end. 
I've been working two jobs for forever lol and haven't been able to get back to school. I'm changing that come next spring and will be back on track...hopefully all my old credits are still good! I'll be in the same boat a year or two as you lol...

I've been working two jobs for forever lol and haven't been able to get back to school. I'm changing that come next spring and will be back on track...hopefully all my old credits are still good! I'll be in the same boat a year or two as you lol...
I'm trying to get my credit cards paid off before the student loans come due but ahhhhhh it's so intimidating. My student loan debt is more than double what I make a year, and I make good money compared to most people with my degrees. I'm starting to think the only option is to run away to Switzerland. 

Honestly, I can't wait til my year of birchbox is over. I am so over subs...besides cravebox. Cravebox, bb, and julep are all I have left now. 
I'm starting to feel the same way. I think I can handle about 2 more months of subs, and then I'm done. I still like BB a lot, but bah, I don't even know why I signed up for BA or MG. I don't need any more products, so I guess (well, hope) that it's the last of the impulsiveness that has led to tons of regrettable purchase just getting out of my system. I'm glad I never upgraded to annual on any of my subs.

50 items??! Lol, that should definitely keep you busy for a loooong while!! Good luck and how exciting to pick through the stashes we all have and "rediscover" products and brands. 
I feel kinda crazy, but I'm hoping it helps me stay on track! A lot of them are products that are on their way out, and I want to see them done. It's oddly empowering to finish something, even if it's just a tiny little bottle of something. 

And I went to order the urban decay smoked palette this morning and I kind of just thought to myself "what's the point"? And closed the page. I think I'm officially over everything. The more I can get rid of via ebay, the happier I'll be. I just want out of debt and out from under these piles of junk. 
Good for you! It sounds like a lot of us have finally hit the breaking point. 

I actally don't have any palettes by UD, but may consider spoiling myself with one of the Nakeds eventually. It seems like a lot of the palettes released feature some of the same shades? I don't really want to do that anymore, hoarding one product repeatedly. So I have yet to jump on any of their palettes. I like more of the nuetral look for every day wear, with my liner being a pop of color and use my more colorful shades for nights/occasions. Doesn't matter at the moment, because I'm watching my spending and not buying ANY of them lol.

Sooo...I bought a new car? Shopping has to stop NOW, lol. I'm only buying things I need from this point forward. 

canceled cravebox and julep. Only one left is bb and lord knows I don't need but I went annual for some dumb reason. 

Sooo...I bought a new car? Shopping has to stop NOW, lol. I'm only buying things I need from this point forward. 
Congrats on the new car! What kinda did you get?!

Okay, here's my list of 50 items. It's a ton, but I really just want to get the piles of sh!t out of here. Just so you know, FS = full size, DS = deluxe sample, and S= sample.

1. Freeman Papaya and Mango Shampoo, FS

2. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner, FS 3. Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake Shower Gel, DS 4. Soulstice Universal Body Lotion, FS 5. Dove Deodorant, FS 6. Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent, FS 7. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, FS 8. Bath and Body Works Jasmine Vanilla Lotion, DS 9. Nivea Extended Moisture Daily Lotion, DS 10. Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation, FS 11. Ren Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask, DS 12. Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Cream, FS 13. Kerastase Elixer Ultime, DS 14. Clinique High Impact Mascara, DS 15. Clinique Lipstick in Waterviolet, FS 16. Nuxe Huile Prodigiuese, DS 17. Tarte Lifted Natural Eye Primer, DS 18. Miracle Skin Transformer in Glow, DS 19. Dr. Jart Water Fuse BB Cream, DS 20. Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm, DS 21. Crest Complete Toothpaste, FS 22. Dermologica Clearing Skin Wash, DS 23. Dermologica Daily Microfoliant, DS 24. Ojon Volume Advance Volumizing Shampoo, DS 25. Pantene Color Preserve Shine Conditioner, DS 26. Elizabeth Arden All Gone Eye and Lip Makeup Remover, DS 27. Tresemme Split Remedy Shampoo, DS 28. Tresemme Split Remedy Conditioner, DS 29. Stila Lip Glaze in Dreamy, FS 30. Dior Diorshow Extase Mascara, DS 31. Freeman Facial Anti-stress Mask, DS 32. One Olive Oil Nourishing Enrichment, S 33. Benefit The Porefessional, S 34. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, S 35. Lavera Mango Milk Hair Treatment, DS 36. Korres Pomegranate Face Primer, S 37. Simple Skincare Cleansing Face Wipes, DS 38. Julep The Best Pedi Creme Ever, FS 39. Willa Gentle Cleansing Lavender Face Towelettes, FS 40. Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra Gel Oil Free, DS 41. Up&Up Strawberry Tangerine Shave Gel, FS 42. LUSH Flying Fox Shower Gel, FS 43. Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Acne Scrub, FS 44. VS Pink Fresh & Clean Body Mist, FS 45. Cherry Culture Lip Balm in Raspberry, FS 46. L'Oreal Skin Genesis Pore Minimizing Gel Cleanser, FS 47. Nick Chavez Honey Peppermint Conditioner, FS 48. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub, FS 49. B&BW Twisted Peppermint Hand Soap, FS 50. Suave Dry Shampoo, FS

Also, I have no idea why it keeps screwing up the formatting of the numbers, but it is 50 items! Grrrr. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats on the new car! What kinda did you get?!

Okay, here's my list of 50 items. It's a ton, but I really just want to get the piles of sh!t out of here. Just so you know, FS = full size, DS = deluxe sample, and S= sample.

1.   Freeman Papaya and Mango Shampoo, FS

1. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner, FS
  2. Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake Shower Gel, DS
  1. Soulstice Universal Body Lotion, FS
  2. Dove Deodorant, FS
  1. Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent, FS
  2. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, FS
  1. Bath and Body Works Jasmine Vanilla Lotion, DS
  2. Nivea Extended Moisture Daily Lotion, DS
  1. Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation, FS
  2. Ren Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask, DS
  3. Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Cream, FS
  4. Kerastase Elixer Ultime, DS
  5. Clinique High Impact Mascara, DS
  6. Clinique Lipstick in Waterviolet, FS
  7. Nuxe Huile Prodigiuese, DS
  8. Tarte Lifted Natural Eye Primer, DS
  9. Miracle Skin Transformer in Glow, DS
  10. Dr. Jart Water Fuse BB Cream, DS
  11. Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm, DS
  12. Crest Complete Toothpaste, FS
  13. Dermologica Clearing Skin Wash, DS
  14. Dermologica Daily Microfoliant, DS
  15. Ojon Volume Advance Volumizing Shampoo, DS
  16. Pantene Color Preserve Shine Conditioner, DS
  17. Elizabeth Arden All Gone Eye and Lip Makeup Remover, DS
  18. Tresemme Split Remedy Shampoo, DS
  19. Tresemme Split Remedy Conditioner, DS
  20. Stila Lip Glaze in Dreamy, FS
  21. Dior Diorshow Extase Mascara, DS
  22. Freeman Facial Anti-stress Mask, DS
  23. One Olive Oil Nourishing Enrichment, S
  24. Benefit The Porefessional, S
  25. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, S
  26. Lavera Mango Milk Hair Treatment, DS
  27. Korres Pomegranate Face Primer, S
  28. Simple Skincare Cleansing Face Wipes, DS
  29. Julep The Best Pedi Creme Ever, FS
  30. Willa Gentle Cleansing Lavender Face Towelettes, FS
  31. Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra Gel Oil Free, DS
  32. Up&Up Strawberry Tangerine Shave Gel, FS
  33. LUSH Flying Fox Shower Gel, FS
  34. Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Acne Scrub, FS
  35. VS Pink Fresh & Clean Body Mist, FS
  36. Cherry Culture Lip Balm in Raspberry, FS
  37. L'Oreal Skin Genesis Pore Minimizing Gel Cleanser, FS
  38. Nick Chavez Honey Peppermint Conditioner, FS
  39. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub, FS
  40. B&BW Twisted Peppermint Hand Soap, FS
  41. Suave Dry Shampoo, FS
Jesus Lord if that's not a lot of stuff to go through! I don't know if i could do 50 but i think it is a wonderful idea. Maybe i will start small, say with 10 and then after that i can have something new. My main problems are nail polish (over 200 bottles), eyeshadow and samples. I think i am going to cancel Glossybox after they ship my July box. Its just two much money and I already have three other subs.

Originally Posted by tilliefairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jesus Lord if that's not a lot of stuff to go through! I don't know if i could do 50 but i think it is a wonderful idea. Maybe i will start small, say with 10 and then after that i can have something new. My main problems are nail polish (over 200 bottles), eyeshadow and samples. I think i am going to cancel Glossybox after they ship my July box. Its just two much money and I already have three other subs.
Right now I'm feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I know deep down that this needs to get done. Probs sooner rather than later. 

You can do it! I think 10 is a good starting place. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yay for a new car! I love their smell lol. Also, daaaaaamnn! That's a list of products to use! I have two tubs of full size face creams to use, 8 bottles/tubs of shampoo, conditioner and treatments in my shower; 5 body washes/scrubs in the shower lol...4 masks/peels opened, and about 6 different hair products that I rotate....let's not start on makeup. I don't remember the last time I had to throw something out because I used it up 100%! Usually have to dump items because I can't remember buying or know they're old lol. We all could use some help! Another confession: I bought another Zoya polish and got the extra one during the holiday sale....but I managed to walk away from Ross today without buying a massive amount of liter SexyHair brand shampoos and conditioners. I did stand there arguing with myself for close to 20 minutes. I probably freaked some people out lol.

I just love reading through this thread because you all keep me so inspired to stay on track! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm getting pretty close to the end of my no-buy and I've managed not to fall off the train, so I'm super proud of myself (7 weeks down, 2 more weeks to go!!!).  The funny thing is, after I went through the initial withdrawal period (like a crackhead, haha), I actually don't feel the urge to buy every eyeshadow palette in sight anymore.  I admit I've been very tempted a few times, though... last week I actually drove to CVS, wandered around picking up things, reminded myself about my no-buy and then put everything back and drove home empty-handed (sadly, this has happened more than once, LOL). 

lady, I am in awe!  I'm definitely inspired to do the same thing now too~ :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yay for a new car! I love their smell lol. Also, daaaaaamnn! That's a list of products to use! I have two tubs of full size face creams to use, 8 bottles/tubs of shampoo, conditioner and treatments in my shower; 5 body washes/scrubs in the shower lol...4 masks/peels opened, and about 6 different hair products that I rotate....let's not start on makeup. I don't remember the last time I had to throw something out because I used it up 100%! Usually have to dump items because I can't remember buying or know they're old lol. We all could use some help! Another confession: I bought another Zoya polish and got the extra one during the holiday sale....but I managed to walk away from Ross today without buying a massive amount of liter SexyHair brand shampoos and conditioners. I did stand there arguing with myself for close to 20 minutes. I probably freaked some people out lol.
Good job on putting things back and walk away! It's always even harder at places like Ross, with the amazing deals they can have. 

I'm like you, too--I can't remember the last time I actually threw makeup away because I finished it. 

Originally Posted by BlueSakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just love reading through this thread because you all keep me so inspired to stay on track! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm getting pretty close to the end of my no-buy and I've managed not to fall off the train, so I'm super proud of myself (7 weeks down, 2 more weeks to go!!!).  The funny thing is, after I went through the initial withdrawal period (like a crackhead, haha), I actually don't feel the urge to buy every eyeshadow palette in sight anymore.  I admit I've been very tempted a few times, though... last week I actually drove to CVS, wandered around picking up things, reminded myself about my no-buy and then put everything back and drove home empty-handed (sadly, this has happened more than once, LOL). 

lady, I am in awe!  I'm definitely inspired to do the same thing now too~ :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Best of luck to you if you decide to do this challenge! I know it'll be crazy tough, but worth it.

Wanna know the crazy thing? 50 products really is nothing, at least compared to the amount of stuff that I have. I really, really feel like this p50p isn't going to make a dent in my collection. :'(

Good job on putting things back and walk away! It's always even harder at places like Ross, with the amazing deals they can have. 

I'm like you, too--I can't remember the last time I actually threw makeup away because I finished it. 

Best of luck to you if you decide to do this challenge! I know it'll be crazy tough, but worth it.

Wanna know the crazy thing? 50 products really is nothing, at least compared to the amount of stuff that I have. I really, really feel like this p50p isn't going to make a dent in my collection. :'(
It's a starting point...which is what counts! Once you get through that batch, treat yourself to something nice..maybe instead of another shopping spree, do  a spa day or something with a few goodies, not a mass haul lol. Then get going on another batch of products. I love rewards and don't we all know and enjoy them more when we feel like we earned them?

Was tempted today when I got an email from beauty.com with one of those "spend $75 and get this sample filled bag worth $100".  I started browsing the site and could not find anything that I wanted, much less needed. 

It's not like I don't have oodles of samples already!  There is just something about those kinds of offers that reel me in.  Not today though.

It's a starting point...which is what counts! Once you get through that batch, treat yourself to something nice..maybe instead of another shopping spree, do  a spa day or something with a few goodies, not a mass haul lol. Then get going on another batch of products. I love rewards and don't we all know and enjoy them more when we feel like we earned them?
True! We've all gotta start somewhere. 

I like your idea of rewards! Maybe I'll get a nice, long massage after I do this challenge. Oooh, that sounds really, really nice. Or maybe a mani and pedi! God knows it's been years since I've actually gotten my nails fixed up by a pro. I agree about the feeling of earning rewards. It's much more satisfying to actually earn these fun, frivolous things.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was tempted today when I got an email from beauty.com with one of those "spend $75 and get this sample filled bag worth $100".  I started browsing the site and could not find anything that I wanted, much less needed. 

It's not like I don't have oodles of samples already!  There is just something about those kinds of offers that reel me in.  Not today though.
Yay, good job!! Resisting is always good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My one true weaknessess are beauty subscriptions... I love getting presents in the mail more than I like the products!

Originally Posted by koolcryyss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My one true weaknessess are beauty subscriptions... I love getting presents in the mail more than I like the products!
Lol, I'm 50% shiny new beauty stuff, 50% having boxes/packages to rip open. I think it reminds me of being a little kid and associating mail with being special. Lol, I would beg my parents to let me check and open mail.

Lol, I'm 50% shiny new beauty stuff, 50% having boxes/packages to rip open. I think it reminds me of being a little kid and associating mail with being special. Lol, I would beg my parents to let me check and open mail.
It feels like Christmas!! I think that's part of the reason I like ordering stuff online, especially beauty subs. 

Back