Little Lace Box October *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so disappointed. I bought an annual subscription right before they started going downhill and switched to bi-monthly. I have stuck up for them with the last few boxes. But this one I just can't. OFRA is garbage and I didn't mind getting it for free in the serendipity. But i gave it away. It was just so cheaply put together and that pashmina is so cheap just like the scarf a few boxes back. At least I am locked into the old rate. This box has turned into a major disappointment. Bummer.

You guys...what happened?!

I have tried really hard to not feel regret over splashing out for an annual subscription for this box but I am starting to feel it was a major waste of money. What a disappointment...I wish instead of launching an entirely new subscription in "Serendipity" they would put their full attention on bringing LLB back to the quality they began with. I am kinda starting to feel like those of us who paid in advance have been "had."  

Sigh...I really loved what LLB was bringing to the sub table and was rooting for them hard.  :unsure:  I just don't know what to think at this point.

Just for comparison this was last October's box 

That box was the reason I signed up for LLB and they were already sold out of subscriptions so I got waitlisted then Customer Service contacted me saying they had a November box available and I could start my sub then if I wanted. That was the only interaction I ever had with their CS and it was a great experience. November was the greatest box ever. 

This box reminds me more and more of the cheap products that discount websites sell.  

The earlier revelation in a another thread that one of the parents who "co-founded" LLB is affiliated with Groupon (who peddles cheap product) keeps bouncing around my head.

They roped people in with razzle-dazzle and then pulled a full bait and switch. One wonders if cash is low after the first nice boxes and the rash of bad publicity cancellations. Terrible situation for all those who paid up-front, and it feels very deceptive.

Seriously, is it too late for CC disputes? I dare say these people have not kept their end of the promise. At this point they should graciously concede the box is not working out and issue refunds for remaining boxes. It would be the honest thing to do.

(oh, they defended their over-use of subscription box darling, OFRA, on Twitter with the excuse that the business is female owned, So, conveniently, the primary focus of LLB is now "women supporting women"....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for comparison this was last October's box 

Wow, the comparison is stark! 

I miss the older boxes that focused on small artisans (like their original mission statement) as compared to the current practice of churning out a box of junk just for the sake of sending out boxes. 

This month, I would have liked to have received: 

• A soft plaid scarf (which is actually on trend right now) like this
  • Small batch caramel candies, like these.
  • Evergreen scented candle, like this.
  • A tinted lip balm like this organic one
  • Delicate rose gold leaf earrings like these
  • Boot cuffs like these
  • and this mulled wine spice mix. 
I'm didn't like his box for the super high values but for the discovery of items that I didn't know I wanted until they were in my hot little hands. 

I'm didn't like his box for the super high values but for the discovery of items that I didn't know I wanted until they were in my hot little hands. 
I agree with you. And not necessarily high dollar items...but things that had a QUALITY "niche" feel!   The more I think about it - and compare old boxes to newer ones - the worse I feel. Everything feels so cheap and thrown together. I went from coveting the December 2014 box (with the lovely planner and jewelry) to feeling embarrassed that I paid for this.

Sigh..At least there is Zoe. 

I miss the older boxes that focused on small artisans (like their original mission statement) as compared to the current practice of churning out a box of junk just for the sake of sending out boxes. 

• Boot cuffs like these
Wow, I like your curation! I don't even know what boot cuffs are, but now I want them. 

Even after contemplating this box for a couple of days, I'm not sure what to think of what is going on. I remember someone from LLB commenting (I think it may have been on an MSA comment thread, so way back... hopefully I didn't just Imagine it), that they were not a makeup/beauty products box, and they didn't want people to subscribe thinking that and then be disappointed. It really does seem like the persons curating the boxes have changed.

The last couple of boxes, since they went bi-monthly, have not really been my taste (as opposed to the 2014 boxes, which I studied closely before I subscribed) but I could still find something in them that I thought was a good find - something that I might not have discovered on my own without the box - which made it worth it to me. That's a big part of the reason I like sub boxes. I love the Defineme perfume. Like, I'm going to purchase it on my own once I'm out - *love it.* And I get tons of compliments on the Kitsch ring; it brings a fun edge to my outfits. So even if I didn't love some of the other stuff, it was still worth getting those boxes.

And I'm genuinely curious, are they no longer trying to bring an up and coming designer to our door, or whatever the catch phrase was? I seriously loved that aspect of the box - the perfumes, the honey, Beekman, Whitney English, etc, that was great. I loved feeling like I was discovering someone who could be the next big thing. I really want that back in the December box.

Comparing last years October box to this years is just sad, it doesn't even look like it's from the same company. I just don't understand how LLB went from curating a fun box with so many unknown brands to a box that has no thought nor exciting brands put into it. They now include basic brands that have been in other subs for years..It's like companies don't even want to give LLB items anymore. I just don't get how they were able to curate boxes like they used to at $40 a box and can't even do a box half as decent anymore with a $20 increase! I just find it ironic that after this drama happened with MSA they started releasing these horrific boxes and even including products they make themselves to fill in the value. And weren't they supposed to appear on GMA? I never saw that happen. Could this company be sold to someone else? It would make sense as to why it doesn't feel like the same box anymore. Ugh, now that I actually have the box in person makes me even more sad. 

The Travalo Skyline decanter appears to be old stock that the company no longer carries ("skyline" does not produce any resuts on their webpage).  Travalo mentioned this particular style on twitter/fb back in June 2013...the only other places I can find the product online are on those "bulk buyer" webpages and ebay resellers.  Nothing wrong with an old decanter, but the fact does highlight how LLB seems to be operating at this point.  

Comparing last years October box to this years is just sad, it doesn't even look like it's from the same company. I just don't understand how LLB went from curating a fun box with so many unknown brands to a box that has no thought nor exciting brands put into it. They now include basic brands that have been in other subs for years..It's like companies don't even want to give LLB items anymore. I just don't get how they were able to curate boxes like they used to at $40 a box and can't even do a box half as decent anymore with a $20 increase! I just find it ironic that after this drama happened with MSA they started releasing these horrific boxes and even including products they make themselves to fill in the value. And weren't they supposed to appear on GMA? I never saw that happen. Could this company be sold to someone else? It would make sense as to why it doesn't feel like the same box anymore. Ugh, now that I actually have the box in person makes me even more sad. 
I saw somewhere that someone else was wondering if the company had been sold because the Facebook page (and possibly website) seemed different.

I wouldn't be surprised if companies didn't want to partner with LLB if they had dealings with them like LLB had with some customers (not saying they did, just IF). 

I haven't subscribed but have watched and it does seem like they've really gone downhill.  Odd.

If you head over to Ramblings you will find a very positive plant comment about this recent box

Hehe...I do like how both just happened to have their flowers delivered, too. And the plugs for the past "value" items from past boxes is pretty comical. Who know, though...they could be real. But they do seem over the top.  If it is planted comments (which the company has been notorious for in the past) Instead of praising PAST items, maybe they should pick up the value of FUTURE boxes.

"Today I am setting here in front of the fire, enjoying my beautiful flower order from the last box (delivered today), sipping my cup of tea in my teapot/cup combo from an earlier box." 

" I just set up my picture for the canvas from an earlier box. And I have my flowers on my table!!! Mine were delivered Saturday. There have been some lovely thoughtful items in the boxes that are unlike other subs. "

So, this is their description and mission from their Facebook page.  

[SIZE=10.5pt]Description:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Little Lace Box is a beautifully curated subscription box featuring several full size items by an up-and-coming designer along with a box full of awesome finds just for you! Everything in the box, you can find in our online Boutique. We're scouting designers from all over the world just to WOW you with the unique and the lovely. From hot new trends in fashion and home goods to vintage jewelry designs and artisan foods, it's all in your Little Lace Box![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mission:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Because we believe in delivering the beauty of design, the passion of the designer, the art of the craft and the joy of the discovery, while ultimately empowering each woman with the inspiration to dream, to achieve and to find their collective voice.[/SIZE]

Nothing about women supporting women.  It seems to me they changed their focus, but didn't tell their subscribers.  Or, they decided to make the cheapest box they could (I can't imagine that some paid $60 for this), with little chance of items arriving broken or damaged, and then are trying to explain themselves with this women supporting women idea.  

Hey guys!  Be careful with calling out specific comments as plants!  This happened in a different thread a long time ago and then it turned out that the MSA commenter was actually a MUT member and a real live actual person...I think the whole thing really hurt her feelings.  No one here has said anything out of line yet but please remember that Ramblings / MSA / MUT have a lot of the same visitors :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   

(I don't think it technically breaks any rules since the comments are from a different place, I just felt so bad the last time I want to avoid potentially hurting someone's feelings again). 

Though those posts might seem "planted", I appreciate someone defending them. I wrote a letter to LLB about the August box that they ended up posting on their Facebook page and I really took a beating for it on these blogs. I even created an account here just for the purpose of speaking up for myself. So no matter how "corny", "contrived", or "obviously from Little Lace Box staff" a comment might seem (as apparently my letter did), it's possible that it's sincere thus deserves at least a modicum of respect. Erring on the side of caution is never a bad thing. ~ smile

Hi. Im one of the two people that were quoted from Ramblings in the above comment. And Id first like to say i love this site for early spoilers, i have been following for a while but never felt any need to comment so I did not join. I have been a sub addict for the last year and half. My comment about enjoying items from past LLB boxes was genuine. I love the older boxes and have found things i have fallen in love with and I did JUST receive my flowers Saturday because i was afraid of missing a cut off date on the coupon. It was not planted. But it was terribly embarrassing to come here to see how others felt about the recent box and find my comment quoted and referred to as "comical". I tend to be passionate about the boxes since i enjoy them so much. If you saw the October LLB review on Ramblings you may also see that i commented above that quoted reply that it was time to cancel this box since i havent been in love with it lately, even though I did find things in the box I enjoyed anyway. I try to be positive because i do not like to feel that i have wasted my money on a box that I hate.

• Boot cuffs like these
Ok, I like this.,,,, And the name of your subscription company?  Where do I sign up!!!

They need to take a lesson from you about what a subscription box is.  Love these items! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Maybe they did get bought out! 

I was looking to use all my points before giving this up in December (one last box to be disappointed in), and found this on the shop. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet:

Walt Disney World Park ItemsCheck back soon, we are finalizing a program that will allow us to sell WDW items found only in the parks.   EPCOT Food & Wine items will be some of the first that we feature :) 

Back