March 2012 No-Buy Support!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why I haven't checked in. Everyone seems to be doing so well & I have been struggling w/ it. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one having a hard time.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've also been really bad lately and was afraid to confess lol. I got aquolina body shimmer from beauty army because they had a gwp, ordered a nail polish from julep (susie, because I really wanted it and skipped my box this month but it was only 7.99), eyeliner from birchbox, and I can't remember what else but its been bad. 

I didn't buy anything this weekend, haven't made a purchase since Thursday. So I'm on day 4, and I'm going to put a bunch of things up on here or ebay to get rid of. 

Thanks, I needed that. Feeling a little more confident now.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I felt bad that I was posting my daily countdown since I went to the "30 days" rather than a month thing, because I felt like I was way behind everyone, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has struggled with this. That said, WE CAN DO THIS!

Isn't it funny how going on the no buy made us aware of how FREQUENTLY we are buying stuff?

Totally! I've been on a low buy, but yeah, definitely still buying more than I need to. I've been much more aware of what I'm purchasing and just how much I have. Now, I frequently go into the bathroom, open up drawers and cabinets, and feel overwhelmed.

Yes, and it's a very good thing it has! I would say what I've been doing this month would be considered a low buy, but I'm still buying more than I can handle. Definitely going to start selling stuff because I have enough make up to last me 35 years. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Totally! I've been on a low buy, but yeah, definitely still buying more than I need to. I've been much more aware of what I'm purchasing and just how much I have. Now, I frequently go into the bathroom, open up drawers and cabinets, and feel overwhelmed.
I think in addition to selling, I'm going to find and sort out the really old stuff tonight to throw away. I don't think there is much because every time I move I seem to lose most of my make up lol, but I know there is some that should be tossed. 

I made it through Day 12 and am really proud of myself, because I went to CVS AND Walgreens today.....

Funny how my "low buy" is still probably more than most people buy in a normal month. I REALLY wanna make it at least to Day 14 now, though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (But since I'm off work tomorrow and Wednesday, dunno if that will HAPPEN)

I won some bliss crap on eBay.
icon_cry.gif
31 days down the drain. Now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and do the Sephora VIB thing on Thursday and then re-start.

I think a full month is AWESOME! Great job! Even though you had a slip-up (which is very minor, in my opinion), at least you now know you have the willpower to go the distance. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_cry.gif
31 days down the drain. Now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and do the Sephora VIB thing on Thursday and then re-start.

Thanks!! I wanted to go until May, but you're right, a whole month is an accomplishment considering from October to February I had spent over $500 at Sephora, on crap just for me, some of it was filler items to get to $50 for free shipping. And I have been using makeup/product more so there's that too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think a full month is AWESOME! Great job! Even though you had a slip-up (which is very minor, in my opinion), at least you now know you have the willpower to go the distance. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_cry.gif

Day 13.

And thank Lemmy for ECB's! I got the Vichy anti-aging serum/eye cream that retails at $47 for $11.25 in ECBs....so, technically, free!

After work I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and Nordstrom Rack and didn't buy a single beauty item! I am so proud of myself. I was tempted to load my basket with a few essie polishes, but i didn't!!

It was my first time, in a looooooong time going to Bed Bath & Beyond. It was weird to see toiletries and cosmetics there! Do your guys' BBB sell that stuff???

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After work I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and Nordstrom Rack and didn't buy a single beauty item! I am so proud of myself. I was tempted to load my basket with a few essie polishes, but i didn't!!

It was my first time, in a looooooong time going to Bed Bath & Beyond. It was weird to see toiletries and cosmetics there! Do your guys' BBB sell that stuff???

Mine doesn't. 

But in a ten mile radius, I've got multiple Ulta, Sephora, SiJCP, Beauty Brands, multiple Sally Beauty, multiple Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls, multiple CVS, multiple Walgreens, multiple Walmart. It's REALLY tough to avoid beauty products when I'm jonesin'. I didn't even MENTION the smaller shops!

I work in San Francisco, so I definitely know what you mean! Downtown is less than 5 miles away... I used to go there during lunch, but I ended up spending more time shopping than working. Well, I still do, but more so online haha

Mine doesn't. 

But in a ten mile radius, I've got multiple Ulta, Sephora, SiJCP, Beauty Brands, multiple Sally Beauty, multiple Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls, multiple CVS, multiple Walgreens, multiple Walmart. It's REALLY tough to avoid beauty products when I'm jonesin'. I didn't even MENTION the smaller shops!

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I work in San Francisco, so I definitely know what you mean! Downtown is less than 5 miles away... I used to go there during lunch, but I ended up spending more time shopping than working. Well, I still do, but more so online haha
Yeah, I don't even go INTO downtown Phoenix, usually. But just on my route to work, there are at least three CVS, a Sally, an Ulta, and two Walgreens. It's SO easy to go, "Oh, well, I'm a little early....I'll just go kill some time...."

And I didn't even mention the BBW, the Philosophy, etc.

I lived in Tempe, AZ for a summer and let me tell you, even though I only had public transport to use it was not hard to end up at an Ulta, sephora, etc. The entire city is surrounded by malls, or at least that was how it felt to me, lol. 

I lived in Tempe, AZ for a summer and let me tell you, even though I only had public transport to use it was not hard to end up at an Ulta, sephora, etc. The entire city is surrounded by malls, or at least that was how it felt to me, lol. 

Um......That's where I live. Did you know that? LOL

Seriously, Baseline/MCClintock--there's a Target across the street, a Fry's next door. One intersection in ANY direction, you'll be at a store that carries beauty products, it feels like.

Um......That's where I live. Did you know that? LOL

Seriously, Baseline/MCClintock--there's a Target across the street, a Fry's next door. One intersection in ANY direction, you'll be at a store that carries beauty products, it feels like.

lol I knew you lived in AZ but I didn't know it was Tempe! haha. Of course when I first got there and desperately needed passport sized photos, I could not find a CVS for the life of me, and walked probably 5 miles all over in June in the desert, lol. Once I got oriented though, yeah, there was something EVERYWHERE. 

Welp, I am pleased to say that the "in the mail" list I keep on my desktop is officially empty! Everything that I've ordered over the past few weeks has now arrived, and there are no new orders that are going to be on there...for quite awhile, at least. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

EDIT: Nvm. My Dermstore order was supposed to be here today, even said on the tracking it was out for delivery, but it was not in my mailbox. Siiiigh. 

lol I knew you lived in AZ but I didn't know it was Tempe! haha. Of course when I first got there and desperately needed passport sized photos, I could not find a CVS for the life of me, and walked probably 5 miles all over in June in the desert, lol. Once I got oriented though, yeah, there was something EVERYWHERE. 

Ok, yeah, that's hilarious, then, that you didn't even realize I was TALKING about Tempe (when your experience was similar).

And, yeah, the first couple weeks I was here were tough to get around, but now, after nearly five years, the world seems a lot smaller (I still very rarely go into Phoenix, but I do go into Mesa/Chandler quite a bit.)

Ok, yeah, that's hilarious, then, that you didn't even realize I was TALKING about Tempe (when your experience was similar).

And, yeah, the first couple weeks I was here were tough to get around, but now, after nearly five years, the world seems a lot smaller (I still very rarely go into Phoenix, but I do go into Mesa/Chandler quite a bit.)

Yeah, I feel like if I went back there now, I'd look at it completely different, since I was there for a while, although its probably changed a lot in just 2 years. I've lived a lot of different places and let me tell you, tempe was the only one with that many malls and stores in such close proximity. I think people just need to get out of the heat, lol. 

I ate so much salty food when I was there trying to compensate for everything I sweat out. 

How in the world were you able to use public transport in this silly valley? Every time I've tried to take the bus, in any of the valley cities (though especially in Tempe) they never come. Not late, but never. I walked all the way from Southern/Priest down Priest to Indian School/Scottsdale once because I felt like leaving work while hoping for a bus to take me home and not a single bus rolled by. I used Circle K's payphone to call my boyfriend to pick me up because I was dead from walking. It was summer and I had flats that didn't fit properly on.

Another time I tried to get a bus from that spot, I just walked to Mill ave and hung out there. Some guy let me use his cell phone because the pay phone there wasn't working.

The only success I've had with the bus was over 10 years ago, from MetroCenter Mall to 19th ave/Glendale. And I was with my friend, a pro at bus riding.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How in the world were you able to use public transport in this silly valley? Every time I've tried to take the bus, in any of the valley cities (though especially in Tempe) they never come. Not late, but never. I walked all the way from Southern/Priest down Priest to Indian School/Scottsdale once because I felt like leaving work while hoping for a bus to take me home and not a single bus rolled by. I used Circle K's payphone to call my boyfriend to pick me up because I was dead from walking. It was summer and I had flats that didn't fit properly on.

Another time I tried to get a bus from that spot, I just walked to Mill ave and hung out there. Some guy let me use his cell phone because the pay phone there wasn't working.

The only success I've had with the bus was over 10 years ago, from MetroCenter Mall to 19th ave/Glendale. And I was with my friend, a pro at bus riding.
MetroRail is helping a bit if you wanna hit downtown (Park & Ride, then Rail in), but Tempe in Motion flat sucks. I managed once or twice to take a bus that wound up ending at about a mile from my destination, but this town is DEFINITELY not public transportation-friendly. Really, it only works if you're near ASU and either not going far or going downtown.

Latest posts

Back